The Indian Question

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Indian Question

In the recent threads discussing Israel/Palenstine, there was a rejection of comparing the suffering of the Indians to the Jews. I did some poking around and found an enlightening 1875 article regarding The Indian Question by a Reverend Ainslie from the Idaho territory and my jaw kept dropping the more I read. I had thought the Presbyterians were a "higher" church, but back then they were as bigoted as fundamentalist today. I cannot believe there was no shade of doubt by this author that Christianity is the answer for these "savages" and saving their souls is their only hope. Have a read and see the blessings Christianity has brought on the Americas. Genocide is a monotheistic characteristic. Only ONE God and ONE way. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out.

http://books.google.com/books/about/The_Presbyterian_quarterly_and_Princeton.html?id=n64RAAAAYAAJ

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I know all too well the

I know all too well the horrors perpetrated on the locals during the colonisation. Canada's darkest days. The church was NOT the only perpetrator. The government of Canada, and I presume the US as well, was complicit in doing incredible harm to the previous settlers. Even today, these people are generally marginalised compared to the average citizen.

We still have yet to make any real effort at repairing the damage. But at least great strides have been made in exposing and accepting it. A good first step. I only hope it doesn't take Israel two hundred years to figure out how wrong they are. And that it doesn't take two hundred more years for the damage done in North America to be repaired.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
You know what is haunting

You know what is haunting about the title of that fear mongering?

The title of the piece "The Indian Question"

I wonder if Hitler read that?

For humanity to understand how easily we fall for tribalism replace "Indian" with "Jewish" with "Christian" with "Muslim" with "atheist" with "Hindu" "Question".

I know America's history is wrought with bigotry. But I do think that the founders were the most progressive in cracking the door for all of us so that the only "Question" would not be one of "if we only get ride of the outsiders". but how can WE get beyond our differences.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I agree, Brian37. That is

I agree, Brian37. That is why I carried "The Indian Question" up to the content subject. It totally marginalized a segment of humanity. And the arrogance of this Reverend who I think was also a Senator that he was in the right and these were just savages, unworthy and get what they deserve. That it is certainly how fundamentalist look at those who are not part of their club. 

You label me, you negate me and you say a hellava lot about what a prick you are. 

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/