Wait, I forgot, can you tell me again?.

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
Wait, I forgot, can you tell me again?.

I hope this breakthrough in medical science becomes a reality soon because it could change the world in a monumental way.  www.vancouversun.com/health/Discovery+could+lead+memory+enhancing+pill+realm+science+fiction/5873583/story.html

Quote:
Science fiction? Maybe not. New research out of the U.S. holds out the hope of a superhuman assist for failing memories — and a badly-needed new therapy for Alzheimer's patients.

The study by researchers at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston — led by neuroscientist and former McGill University postdoctoral fellow Mauro Costa-Mattioli with contributions from a couple of Canadians — found suppressing a molecule called PKR in the brains of mice improved the rodents' memory function and learning abilities.

The link was from a Yahoo! article talking about this pill becoming a possible cure to Alzheimer's Disease as well as supercharging memory.  There was a study not that long ago that suggested that the elderly are smarter than they act and the reason it's not properly displayed by most of them is because their brains are working so damn fast that they can't keep up with themselves.  Imagine a pill that could stimulate those pathways to give older folks more focus and an easier time managing their thoughts.  Not only that, but if it can enhance learning abilities in younger people, that ADD bullshit can finally be put to rest.  I'm really excited about this! 

luca
atheist
User is offlineOffline
boundless

Yeah but still... I'm not saying that evolving we got anything right, but there's a reason if we remember something and forget something else.

How much would your life be stressful if you remembered much more that what you can now? Expecially if you have a troubled life... It would be cool to have a better memory, but let's not be too hasty.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd be happy with a

I'd be happy with a controlable memory, where I can pick and choose what I want to remember on a conscious level.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I'd be happy

Vastet wrote:

I'd be happy with a controlable memory, where I can pick and choose what I want to remember on a conscious level.

+1

When I hear people talk about how much they'd like to live forever, I can only assume they have led VERY boring lives.

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Heh, I'd take the same

Heh, I'd take the same strategy with mortality. I'd like to live until I don't want to anymore.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Heh, I'd take the same

Quote:
Heh, I'd take the same strategy with mortality. I'd like to live until I don't want to anymore.

I'll one up you on that; do the "Hitchhiker" technique and be dead for a year to avoid taxes and whatever other shitty mishaps that come my way.