Uh oh...

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
Uh oh...

Houston, there might be a bit of a problem...http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2011/11/scientists-brace-for-media-storm.html

If you haven't read this yet, I'm not surprised, but in Notterdam, scientists have managed to manufacture a new strain of the flu virus that they claim would "change history if ever set free."  Those freaky deaky Dutch bastards better have some grand plans that doesn't involve opening "the fourth seal," making The Andromeda Strain" reality or setting off a global extinction because I ain't ready to go out like 'dat mmmm hmmmm *snap snap*

Thoughts?

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
Excuse me, that's ROTTERDAM,

Excuse me, that's ROTTERDAM, my mistake.  There's something rotten in Rotterdam, folks, hahaha!!...haha...ha...ahh, ok I need a drink.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 Scary stuff.

Scary stuff.

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
 It isn't just

It isn't just Rotterdam...

"The other study—also on H5N1, and with comparable results—was done by a team led by virologist Yoshihiro Kawaoka at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, and the University of Tokyo, several scientists toldScienceInsider. (Kawaoka did not respond to interview requests.) Both studies have been submitted for publication, and both are currently under review by the U.S. National Science Advisory Board for Biosecurity (NSABB), which on a few previous occasions has been asked by scientists or journals to review papers that caused worries."

The University of Wisconsin, Madison is my 'back yard'!!!  YIKES!!!

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition"...Alexander Hodge (1823-1886)

"A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes"...James Feibleman (1904-1987)

Respectfully, Lyz

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Glad I've got a really good

Glad I've got a really good immune system.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Glad I've got a really

Quote:

Be that as it may, a super-powered flu hits the streets, strong immune system or not, you're mega fucked; we all are.  Living in Canada won't save you then, either

Hopefully, this strain is thoroughly examined by the CDC, if it hasn't been already, and is promptly destroyed.  I'd like for this to be some sort of study material to cure future outbreaks or ones that have devastated areas before, but the risk is just too high especially since it's known to exist in multiple locations across the globe. 

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Sage_Override

Sage_Override wrote:

Quote:

Be that as it may, a super-powered flu hits the streets, strong immune system or not, you're mega fucked; we all are.  Living in Canada won't save you then, either

Hopefully, this strain is thoroughly examined by the CDC, if it hasn't been already, and is promptly destroyed.  I'd like for this to be some sort of study material to cure future outbreaks or ones that have devastated areas before, but the risk is just too high especially since it's known to exist in multiple locations across the globe. 

Actually, during a pandemic flu a strong immune system will work against you.  Have a look at this article:

http://www.clinicalcorrelations.org/?p=1862

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
Actually, during a pandemic

Quote:
Actually, during a pandemic flu a strong immune system will work against you.

The article even stated that the virus was gaining more and more complexity making a "herd immunity" harder and harder so, yeah, damn right.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
The idea

The idea of some major outbreak hitting and wiping people out frightens me. I have had nightmares about that kind of stuff.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pfft. I don't fear your

Pfft. I don't fear your statistics. No flu bug has survived long enough to cause more than a days worth of symptoms in me.

Besides, I don't live in a high traffic area. I'd have plenty of warning. Cities are where an outbreak will start out. By the time a hundred people die I'll be in the woods. Sticking out tongue

Cold as it may be to say, such an outbreak could do wonders for us as a species.

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Cold as it may be to

Quote:
Cold as it may be to say, such an outbreak could do wonders for us as a species.

I don't think that's cold at all; in fact, I think it's needed the way things are going. 

I have a complete survival pack ready to go so, I'll meet you in the wilderness when the shit hits the fan, man.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe the scientists think

Maybe the scientists think so too, and that's why they really made it.
> >

Sounds like a plan. Smiling

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:The

harleysportster wrote:

The idea of some major outbreak hitting and wiping people out frightens me. I have had nightmares about that kind of stuff.

Humans frighten me more than nature. Even without humans making things worse our species would go extinct anyway. I fear more from political and religious beefs than I do bacteria and viruses that have had a longer history than humans.

The dinosaurs died out and we will too. It frightens me more that we have the brains to extend the ride better than most species. But if I wanted to be in a species that is most likely to outlast us, cockroaches are a safe bet.

The question is, if humans never tinkered with science we wouldn't have what we have today. Would you rather live in the oppressive dark ages as a non-Christian, or take these scientific risks?

You can dwell on tons of things that could kill you, but no matter what, something eventually will.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

Humans frighten me more than nature. Even without humans making things worse our species would go extinct anyway. I fear more from political and religious beefs than I do bacteria and viruses that have had a longer history than humans.

The dinosaurs died out and we will too. It frightens me more that we have the brains to extend the ride better than most species. But if I wanted to be in a species that is most likely to outlast us, cockroaches are a safe bet.

The question is, if humans never tinkered with science we wouldn't have what we have today. Would you rather live in the oppressive dark ages as a non-Christian, or take these scientific risks?

You can dwell on tons of things that could kill you, but no matter what, something eventually will.

Well, I personally believe in science and know that the human race will inevitably die out.

I almost died from some weird lung infection, when I was younger, and ever since then I have been afraid of diseases. That might be why the idea of an outbreak has always bothered me. It is more of a personal reaction than being rational and logical about it. Which I admit, I am not logical about.

Now granted, fear of germs is irrational. We live with billions of them everday and even interact with them. If we didn't. we wouldn't have no immune systems of course.

Now of course, a phobic type of fear is not going to stop an epidemic from occurring.

I think of it like this, my girlfriend is afraid of spiders. My cousin is terrified of heights. He is so terrified of them, that he could not work on the job with me, 'cause it involves being on roofs and ladders.

Why am I able to climb up on roofs and stand on scaffolds or not freak out when I see a large spider ? Dunno. Why do diseases seem to frighten me ? Dunno.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I haven't had a flu

I haven't had a flu vaccination in decade or better.  

I was considering getting an MMR and PPT booster shot w/ a side of Chicken Pox vaccine (to prevent Shingles)...except that I got the Chicken Pox about a decade ago.  Also got Whooping Cough (pertussis) about a decade ago.  Nearly coughed up a lung.  Two down.  I guess I better start watching for symptoms.  Never had the measles (either type), mumps or polio.  OOPs!  Better put an alert on my laptop for the CDC and listening/searching for news of any outbreaks.  (paranoia creeping in.  Locks the door...shutters the windows...cleans keyboard w/ disinfectant...)

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition"...Alexander Hodge (1823-1886)

"A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes"...James Feibleman (1904-1987)

Respectfully, Lyz

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Already there...all we

Already there...all we need is a backup generator when the power stations 'fail'.  We have solar and a wind generator and a wood burning furnace.

I'll miss being able to have contact w/ the outside world if the network fails too.  But...we won't be totally isolated.  Just isolated enough.

(paranoia setting in again...what about the nuclear reactors that will be left unattended...start packing...)

Wait...Funny thought...Africa might be the safest place to be.  Note to self...start learning how to survive in the desert.

Respectfully, Lyz

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have you beat. I haven't

I have you beat. I haven't seen a medical practitioner of any kind since about 1994. Eye-wink

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I have you

Vastet wrote:
I have you beat. I haven't seen a medical practitioner of any kind since about 1994. Eye-wink

Accidents happen.  Broken Arm 2007; Didn't know I had pancreatitis (2008) and put up with it for months (puking/pain/more puking/pain).  Small stuff I take care of myself.  A little yoga here and there...drink plenty of 'clean' water (little to no fluoride anyway).  

Respectfully, Lyz