Hollywood's irrational atheist characters

rpcarnell
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hollywood's irrational atheist characters

Ever noticed that most movies that come from Hollywood always portray atheists and hopeless souls traumatized by tragedy and coping with depression?

Knowing: Nicholas Cage is a professor who lost his wife and is now an atheist and sees no purpose in life. Then he starts to see the future and regains his faith.

Signs: Mel Gibson's character loses his wife and his faith, and gains it at the end, after fighting aliens who seem to think landing on crops is the key to invading a planet.

The Reaping: agnostic woman starts to believe in God after an encounter with a Satanic cult.

The Prophecy: priest loses his faith after a traumatizing experience, but soon has to battle demons.

Do Hollywood writers believe atheism is caused by traumas or anger against God so and so? That seems to be the case.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dennis Quaid seems to jump

Dennis Quaid seems to jump at the chance to play irrational atheists:

• Legion - Atheist personally witnesses people morphing into demons, climbing walls, angels, and approaching demonic hordes. Angel explains the situation. Atheist says, "You know this is crazy, right? I mean... I don't even believe in God."
  • Padorum - Atheist thinks he's god, therefore there's no right or wrong, chaos rules, we all get to become our own gods.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
My favorite hollywood

My favorite hollywood atheist is Dr. Cox of Scrubs. Skeptic and sarcastic.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
rpcarnell wrote: Do

rpcarnell wrote:

Do Hollywood writers believe atheism is caused by traumas or anger against God so and so? That seems to be the case.

I too have noticed that trend. I always have to roll my eyes when I have to see yet ANOTHER Atheist character, whom has lost his/her faith and has to believe in magic, gods/angels/demons or something, to save the day.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you study the history of

If you study the history of film and tv, now mainstream people, who were once minorities always first make it to the screen as stereotypes.

Even period piece motifs like 'Cowboy's vs Indians" depicted them as savages, but had Italian or white actors play them.

Blacks in early film were slaves, maids, butlers or criminals.

But even with this history, there have been interjections in these motifs that suggested or implied that these stereotypes should be broken. Like in a cowboy movie on of the Indians would help the white man. The Lone Ranger, for example.  Even before movies Huckleberry Finn had a white boy befriending a "nigger".

So it's not so bad that these stereotypes of atheists are out there. It allows the topic to come up and helps society change.

The good thing about Hollywood is that it IS liberal socially, so in using stereotypes they use them to eventually break them. And South Park especially is great at saying 'God fucking damnt laugh at yourself".

We don't, long term have to worry about these stereotypes. If history is any indication, these portrayals are a good thing and will lead to a future of acceptance.

I wish humanity could change overnight, but it never does. These motifs do help because they bring the topic to the front burner and force society to face them.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:.We don't,

Brian37 wrote:

We don't, long term have to worry about these stereotypes. If history is any indication, these portrayals are a good thing and will lead to a future of acceptance.

I wish humanity could change overnight, but it never does. These motifs do help because they bring the topic to the front burner and force society to face them.

Plus, for every film out there with negative atheist stereotypes. There are plenty of films that have atheist undertones and humanistic messages.

Not too mention when churches start freaking out about films like Harry Potter and the Golden Compass, they show their narrow-mindedness.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Plus, for every film out there with negative atheist stereotypes. There are plenty of films that have atheist undertones and humanistic messages.

Not too mention when churches start freaking out about films like Harry Potter and the Golden Compass, they show their narrow-mindedness.

I loved how they freaked out when the first movie came out. Really? Again, what kind of real "faith" do these morons have claiming an all powerful god, stepping between it, and a work of fiction? If it is that bad, then why would an all powerful god need mere mortals to fight it?

"Don't read that, daddy cant compete with fiction"

Boys of flying brooms, bad, but magical babies without two sets of DNA, made by godsperm, thats perfectly rational.

Hey dip shits, the only difference between Harry Potter and the bible, is that the writer of Harry Potter, and the fans of Harry Potter know that it is fiction, unlike you fans of your zombie god fiction.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
rpcarnell wrote: Do

rpcarnell wrote:

Hollywood writers don't so much create stereotypes as they use common stereotypes in our culture to create characters. It is easier for a writer to use the stereotypes that the audience is using and only occasionally throw in a quirk that goes against it plus it plays better for the audience. The vast majority of characters fit into mainstream stereotypes. 

I agree with Brian that it is ultimately a positive thing. At the very least it is becoming more common for characters to question religion and for religious topics to be addressed or even central to the story. The new season of Dexter revolves around religion and while it seems to me the writers are attempting to straddle the line and not offend by offering religious stereotype characters that are pure good and others that are evil, while Dexter himself seems agnostic leaning atheist but conflicted. I think the result is some pretty good dark humor which is really what I'm looking for anyway.  

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

rpcarnell wrote:

Hollywood writers don't so much create stereotypes as they use common stereotypes in our culture to create characters. It is easier for a writer to use the stereotypes that the audience is using and only occasionally throw in a quirk that goes against it plus it plays better for the audience. The vast majority of characters fit into mainstream stereotypes. 

I agree with Brian that it is ultimately a positive thing. At the very least it is becoming more common for characters to question religion and for religious topics to be addressed or even central to the story. The new season of Dexter revolves around religion and while it seems to me the writers are attempting to straddle the line and not offend by offering religious stereotype characters that are pure good and others that are evil, while Dexter himself seems agnostic leaning atheist but conflicted. I think the result is some pretty good dark humor which is really what I'm looking for anyway.  

Don't you dare agree with me. That is twice in one day you have done that. We are sworn enemies. Reminds me of the Japanese villain and Pappy Bowington when the got stranded on the Pacific Island on an episode of Ba Ba Black Sheep. Other than the fact that I am a complete physical wimp and you could probably kick my ass. Not to mention knowledge of this 70s show gives away my age.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think you are cherry

I think you are cherry picking here. So there are those examples and then there are examples where they make atheists unapologetic and basically smarter than anyone else. Dr House in House, Dr Brenin in Bones, Dr Seldon Cooper the big band theory (pretty much entire cast it is assumed). It is a huge trend right now in TV. Any thing there is anyone remotely smart on the show they are an atheist. I admit this is tv and not the movies (I don't watch movies so I could give examples). But stil atheists are portrayed in a far better light than the grouping "atheist" calls for. Instead of portraying athesits as normal people as we are, they are portraying us as the smart people in pretty much every show that has a smart person that I know of. 

P.S. I don't actually watch any of those shows so if they continually poke fun at atheism suggesting all sorts of nonsense then ignore me. I just happen to know that those characters are portrayed as atheists.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:I think you are

Tapey wrote:

I think you are cherry picking here. So there are those examples and then there are examples where they make atheists unapologetic and basically smarter than anyone else. Dr House in House, Dr Brenin in Bones, Dr Seldon Cooper the big band theory (pretty much entire cast it is assumed). It is a huge trend right now in TV. Any thing there is anyone remotely smart on the show they are an atheist. I admit this is tv and not the movies (I don't watch movies so I could give examples). But stil atheists are portrayed in a far better light than the grouping "atheist" calls for. Instead of portraying athesits as normal people as we are, they are portraying us as the smart people in pretty much every show that has a smart person that I know of. 

P.S. I don't actually watch any of those shows so if they continually poke fun at atheism suggesting all sorts of nonsense then ignore me. I just happen to know that those characters are portrayed as atheists.

The only one of those shows that I watch (well I don't watch it, my girlfriend does and therefore I have no choice, hehe) is House.

While House is actually a likable character for me, (likeable being that he is misanthropic, cynical, dour, rude and atheist) every so often they have to throw in some little "miracle" episode type deal, where our cynical anti-hero House is up against a wall that he can not explain.

Granted this type of tv nonsense doesn't really bother me that bad. Truth to be told, I like the television for the History Channel, National Geographic, Science channel and the news.

― Giordano Bruno

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:Tapey

harleysportster wrote:

Tapey wrote:

The only one of those shows that I watch (well I don't watch it, my girlfriend does and therefore I have no choice, hehe) is House.

While House is actually a likable character for me, (likeable being that he is misanthropic, cynical, dour, rude and atheist) every so often they have to throw in some little "miracle" episode type deal, where our cynical anti-hero House is up against a wall that he can not explain.

Granted this type of tv nonsense doesn't really bother me that bad. Truth to be told, I like the television for the History Channel, National Geographic, Science channel and the news.

Sold my tv 7 years ago now. Best decision ever.

All animals are equal.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
No tv = no video games =

No tv = no video games = suicide

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:I think you are

Tapey wrote:

You don't watch movies, but you watch TV? I use my TV as a monitor for my computer for 90% of the time and watch movies the rest of the 10% Smiling

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:Tapey wrote:I

Ktulu wrote:

Tapey wrote:

You don't watch movies, but you watch TV? I use my TV as a monitor for my computer for 90% of the time and watch movies the rest of the 10% Smiling

2 hours is not enough time to tell a proper story, it just cannot be done. I don't really watch tv much either, much the same reason, to many self contained episodes, it ignores the larger storyline to much. Comedy is pretty much the only type of show that works with self contained episodes but most are just not funny. Its mostly quick interchangable jokes from what I have seen. And i hate laugh tracks telling people when to laugh. Pretty much the only comedy show which I liked was "Allo Allo", even that is guilty of many of the things I dislike.

All animals are equal.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:Ktulu

Tapey wrote:

Ktulu wrote:

Tapey wrote:

2 hours is not enough time to tell a proper story, it just cannot be done. I don't really watch tv much either, much the same reason, to many self contained episodes, it ignores the larger storyline to much. Comedy is pretty much the only type of show that works with self contained episodes but most are just not funny. Its mostly quick interchangable jokes from what I have seen. And i hate laugh tracks telling people when to laugh. Pretty much the only comedy show which I liked was "Allo Allo", even that is guilty of many of the things I dislike.

The majority of TV shows, especially reality shows, actually make my head hurt.  My wife watches a number of them and I usually have to leave the room, even if I'm on my laptop.  I watch movies that I download mostly.  I have even given up on Discovery, with very few exceptions the shows are very dumbed down and uninteresting.  I did download most Nova episodes, so I guess I do watch some "TV", just not directly.  

BTW I work for a telecom company so I get full courtesy TV, and have to pay tax on internet and phone.  

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I think the only tv really

I think the only tv really worth devoting time to is the shows on premium channels. I love Dexter, Game of Thrones (excellently done and yes I was a fan of the books), Sopranos was good for a few years, True Blood is passable, Homeland looks promising, Rome was a great show til they canceled and Spartacus was pretty good. Breaking Bad was good too but I guess that was on A&E, I just watched it on dvd and got into it. Can't think of anything on the big networks worth watching and I don't get into movies for the most part.  

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
My vote????

I do remember an oldie movie from the 70's that had my favorite anti-thestic lines;  ever in a movie!  Olivia  De havalin tells a Priest {O.J.Simpson] that her very sick young boyfriend [Martin Sheen] is an "atheist."  Then  [O.J. Simpson] says  "so am I."

It comes up at   8:27 in the video.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW2uV_pj7Fg&feature=related      

Edit]:::   Mod help needed here!!!!  Please!!!!!!!    I couldn't imbed the video I wanted.   What's with that?   btw   it is called 'The Cassandra Crossing' part 9.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Right click on video|copy

Right click on video|copy embed html Click the source box when commenting here, paste it there.

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
That guy from The Walking

That guy from The Walking Dead, Daryl, seems to be borderline atheist if not full blown.  He's the only fucker in that entire cast that has any sense of reality.  If they kill him off, I won't watch it anymore.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Weren't the lead characters

Weren't the lead characters (Hawkeye Pierce, Trapper John) in M*A*S*H atheists, or at least skeptical of religion? I can't think of any episodes (or scenes from the movie), but the whole premise of the show is pretty far outside of theism, into a sort of absurdist humanism. I would bet $50 Alan Alda is an atheist. (Hmm, he is, but he's adopted the straw-man 'atheist' of popular culture, and now calls himself agnostic, though he still doesn't believe. Much like Neil deGrasse Tyson: http://www.edge.org/q2008/q08_8.html)

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

samchn07
User is offlineOffline
Recently, I've watched The

Recently, I've watched The Invention of Lying and Equilibrium, which are on my favorite list

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wonderist wrote:Weren't the

Wonderist wrote:

Weren't the lead characters (Hawkeye Pierce, Trapper John) in M*A*S*H atheists, or at least skeptical of religion? I can't think of any episodes (or scenes from the movie), but the whole premise of the show is pretty far outside of theism, into a sort of absurdist humanism. I would bet $50 Alan Alda is an atheist. (Hmm, he is, but he's adopted the straw-man 'atheist' of popular culture, and now calls himself agnostic, though he still doesn't believe. Much like Neil deGrasse Tyson: http://www.edge.org/q2008/q08_8.html)

No in MASH all of them were weekend worshipers. However they did have lines and episodes that blasted retards  like Frank when he went ape shit about race and religion. I think even the Father in MASH had a relaxed attitude most of the time.

I loved the Characters Pierce and Trapper at my age at that time. Outside that show the reality is that the kids on my block and school and even my parents were judgmental. Pierce and Trapper and BJ especially saw humans as humans first.

That show did a great job showing the horrors of war and at the same time showing how compassionate humans can be in the face of adversity.

If religious people were a majority like Hawkeye and Trapper, our world would be a better place. The characters had the ability (as written) to humanize the human condition and the ability to laugh at one's self and others.

Thats the other thing I liked about MASH, they were all unique and different and had their querks(accept for Frank who was always a dip shit prick) WHEN the shit hit the fan all their differences flew out the window and they got through it.

I do however when I look back at the show wince at the religious overtones although I agree with the anti-war  and humanistic message it always conveyed.

marthasplatterhead
User is offlineOffline
Sage_Override wrote:That guy

Sage_Override wrote:

That guy from The Walking Dead, Daryl, seems to be borderline atheist if not full blown.  He's the only fucker in that entire cast that has any sense of reality.  If they kill him off, I won't watch it anymore.

I agree. And what is with ALL the female characters on that show? The writers must regard them as hot-headed, petty, whiny, mood-swinging bitches. I wish there was at least one decent female, but nope.

Anyway, I just came here to say that I really liked that show at first and wondered how they were going to handle the topic of religion, seeing how God didn't come to save the day when people caught the zombie virus. In the first episode of season 2, they find a church. A little part of me died when they all do their little prayer bit. I'd really hoped the writers would have done it differently than all the other shows out there. This show had such great potential. Sadly, it's heading toward a nighttime soap with an occasional zombie attack.

Do things happen to other people, or am I the chosen one? -Me (Bukowski said it first, apparently)