Computer Gamers solve AIDS problem

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Computer Gamers solve AIDS problem

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Matt
User is offlineOffline
That's pretty amazing. 

That's pretty amazing.  Actually, it seems like a stroke of genius in problem solving methods.  There are a sea of gamers and problem solvers from all over the world, and tapping into them not as consumers but a viable resource for scientific research is awesome.  I find it humorous that some of us think videogaming is a complete waste of time, but here are some of these gamers cracking incredibly difficult problems.  The scientists also deserve as much credit for presenting their problems in the form of a game that can be approachable by anyone.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ya, it's kind like the

Ya, it's kind like the infinite number of monkeys typing away at Shakespeare. Except these gamers are collaborating with each other.

I agree, what a brilliant move to assign these gamers to try and unravel the problem.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
At least you got a response.

At least you got a response. When I posted about this a month or so ago I don't recall getting one.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
I obviously missed you

I obviously missed you posting it.

I think this is a great example of human ingenuity.

Yay, opposable thumbs!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
So you know, I was trying to

So you know, I was trying to bump the topic to get more input but couldn't come up with anything to add that I hadn't already said. It didn't work so well.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:I obviously

redneF wrote:

Yay, opposable thumbs!

My opposable thumbs are only good for pressing the space bar Sad

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:redneF

FurryCatHerder wrote:

redneF wrote:

Yay, opposable thumbs!

My opposable thumbs are only good for pressing the space bar Sad

I use mine to snap my fingers, and point at my chest while grunting by the fire.  How else would I sign/grunt "I" if not for opposable thumbs?

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Squady
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Miraculously amazing

I used to think that computer games are such a waste of time before. I could not even think they were the ones who will accidentally discover such an amazing breaktrough.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Squady wrote:I used to think

Squady wrote:

I used to think that computer games are such a waste of time before. I could not even think they were the ones who will accidentally discover such an amazing breaktrough.

+1

I played FoldIt a few times, then got bored.  Who'da thunk it would do real science?!?

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."