The Immortals- Promotes Religion ?

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Immortals- Promotes Religion ?

Looks like a kick ass movie. Are there atheist here that have issue with a movie like this that refer to gods? Is it promoting religion?

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't think it promotes

I don't think it promotes religion.

Silly fantasies, maybe.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I think it's more Greek

I think it's more Greek mythology than modern religion. But it may promote supernatural thinking etc...

It defenitely promotes stupid movies to make a quick buck.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would probably watch it.

Greek mythology type films (like the recentl re-make of Clash of theTitans) and fantasy films are always somewhat entertaining to me.

I don't see most fantasy films as promoting religion. However, I do see alot of Hollywood nonsense that always has to hint at certain theistic slants.

For instance, last Christmas, my younger sister and her two kids (my niece and nephew) came down from New Jersey to visit me.

I treated them to a movie and allowed the kids to pick the film. They happened to pick The Voyage of Dawn Treader.

I could not help but notice, the bratty, cowardly, and selfish child character in the film, is this young boy that scorns magic, make-believe and likes science books.  His character is the one that is supposed to be "taught" a lesson in believing, having faith in magic, etc. etc.  Not to mention all of the hints at ultimate purposes, destiny, fate and good/evil always being clear cut choices. Maybe not bad entertainment for children, but not good for much else.

I could name a few other films that have such undertones, but I can also name a few films that have atheist themes as well.

I have rolled my eyes in a few films, when I sometimes think their is a theistic message being portrayed. But, I can't recall too many entertainment-Hollywood films that actually outraged me.

Of course, I am not much of a movie freak. I mainly stick to foreign films, indie films, documentaries and obscure /explicit horror flicks made in Europe and Japan, that sort of thing.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:I don't think it

cj wrote:

Silly fantasies, maybe.

CJ, 

What happened to you signature? I don't see it anymore. Sad

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:cj wrote:I

ex-minister wrote:

cj wrote:

Silly fantasies, maybe.

CJ, 

What happened to you signature? I don't see it anymore. Sad

Haven't a clue.  When I look at my profile, my signature is there.  Is there a Admin in the house?

Edit:  It's baaaaaacccckkk...

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Great. I feel better now.

Great. I feel better now. Still enjoy reading it. I thank the good mod above who corrected it. Eye-wink

Religion Kills !!!

smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
User is offlineOffline
The ability to create

The ability to create compelling fiction is possibly the greatest gift of the human mind, that's something an atheist should rejoice in. Are you saying that Jurassic Park promoted the belief that dinosaurs roam the earth again now?

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like these movies and the

I like these movies and the god mentions don't bother me. I was just checking with fellow atheist to see if it bothered them. Maybe subliminal messaging.
Am sure creationist like to see dinosaurs existing with humans, you know like the flintstones.

Religion Kills !!!

Tobbast (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Yes indeed

I have watched the movie "Immortals" and sorry to say as I expected it wasn't that good. The bad acting and the (Michael Bay like) action pumping experience felt pushed and I found my self several times during the movie feeling a little critical to the way the movie played out, in short it felt like they were trying to make a point about the climate between Atheists and Religious people today and in some scheming way applied todays Christianity en an antic Greek setting.

I am not one of those appose to action movies because they do not deliver something of value, cause they do if done correctly, 300 for example was an excellent movie in many ways but foremost because it was original in screen material, and also the way it was written from the legend of the 300 hundred Spartans who stood between the Persian army of perhaps several million and the free Greece, also the mention and reveling of the "god" emperor Xerxes who is part of earlier in Greek mythology as well.

But Immortals as I said seem to have some kind of agenda, a religious one at that, their is a lot of talk about people not believing in the gods and of course these people will come to convert if they are on the good side and deny or even join the opposite side if they are bad and as Atheists are controlled or tempted by Lucifer to challenge religion the Titans in this movie are the spawns of hell and is guiding our villain on his quest to destroy the gods. The assessment I made early in the movie only confirmed my point the longer it progressed.

In ancient Greece their were some disbelievers but this was not something common as you would be exiled from your community for godlessness, so their were no reason for disbelief and even the great thinkers of that time knew that there is no way of disproving that there are gods or for that matter proving that there are so whats the point in acting godless?
   They also knew as we get depicted in most of the texts from that period that the gods most often intervened in the lives of the mortals, sometimes even for the sadistic fun of it, the gods in Immortals were of different breed than those of the Greek society and they had all the best intentions for humans and in many ways this was all influenced by the three major western religions of today.