Nice Looking Site

Cesare Borgia
atheist
Cesare Borgia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nice Looking Site

Hello, I just registered here after browsing as a guest, and i gotta say, i did not know there was such a site for activist atheists, I am still not 100% clear on what that term means, but i think i have a fairly good idea. I have been an Atheist my whole life but really did not make it public knowledge until i was around 13 or 14, i was never able to seriously swallow the whole God thing. I am 27 years old, and living in the United States, Oregon, sometimes you can find me having a laugh at a believer's expense by confusing the hell out of them about how little they really do know about their own bibles or beliefs, it's great fun Smiling

Anyhow, i am looking forward to getting to know the folks here and have some interesting conversations.

(mod edit: formatting)

If it turns out that there is a God, I don’t think that he’s evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he’s an underachiever.

Cesare Borgia
atheist
Cesare Borgia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whoa, i am not sure what

Whoa, i am not sure what happened there, should there not be a word wrap option?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Might've had something to do

Might've had something to do with the border.

Welcome!

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Cesare Borgia
atheist
Cesare Borgia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thank you, i think i might

Thank you, i think i might have done that by mistake when i changed to the plain editor not knowing id have to add the breaks Sticking out tongue

If it turns out that there is a God, I don’t think that he’s evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he’s an underachiever.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hi Cesare,Welcome.   I

Hi Cesare,

Welcome.   I think being an Activist Atheist is just being vocal about our beliefs and not quietly tolerating the nonsense statements by theists in silence.

Just standing up and being heard is being an Activist for our purposes.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Cesare, welcome! Not sure

Hi Cesare, welcome!

Not sure how it happened, but some of your text was wrapped in an HTML <pre> tag. I just cleared all the formatting and clicked on the Source button in the editor to remove the <pre> tags.

I'm also a life-long atheist. We're the lucky ones! Smiling

For me being an atheist activist does not require much more than just speaking out about the problems of theism. It can also involve more public activities, which are certainly being pursued by many groups around the planet. A good example of this kind of activism would be Sgt. Justin Griffith and the other organizers of the Rock Beyond Belief event which should be coming up within a year. He's gone through a lot of roadblocks put up in his way to get this thing going, and he's doing awesome at it.

There are usually local community groups, depending on where you live, which you can join to engage in some hands-on activism.

But speaking out is also an act, and in lots of cases it is one of the easiest and most effective way to get started. The internet has been a huge boon to atheism and free-thought in general. There's tonnes of people speaking out on YouTube, in blogs, in forums such as this one, on Facebook/Twitter, etc.

One of the things we focus on here is rational discussion and debate (obviously), and for me that's one of the most important things to really make sure to get it right. It's a skill and it can be learned, and it takes some practice. And it's applicable in almost all aspects of life, IMO. So, part of our 'activism' here is also just challenging and educating each other in how to think critically.

Welcome, and have fun!

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Say hi to Lucretia for

Say hi to Lucretia for me.

I'm in Portland, OR.  60, unemployed, female, and going to PSU.  And atheist.  Nice to meet ya.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey, Welcome!Another

Hey, Welcome!

Another life-long non-believer here. I endorse all natural's comments.

I am part of a local Atheist Meetup group in Brisbane, Australia. One of the things we do is fairly regularly get together, in between normal meetings, in a central downtown area to argue with a group of Christians who gather to proselytise to the public.

Went to one last night (Saturday here), and as usual it is both frustrating and educational. Frustratiing as you would expect attempting to argue with their ideas, but does give me more insight into the thought processes behind such beliefs, and the far more immediate responses you get face-to-face vs. online forums.

Problems of them talking over you while you are trying to explain things.

Hope that some onlookers, and possibly even some of the preachers, get some value from my reasoning.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi and welcome

Cesare. Pleased to meet you. 

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

Welcome to the general insanity.

If you use the plain text editor, you also have to hand write HTML tags. If you use the rich text editor, you do not. That much being said, I use the plain text fairly often as it is the easiest way to embed videos. But you still need to add your own break tags to get any supporting text to format correctly.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hey there, welcome aboard! 

Hey there, welcome aboard!

Cesare Borgia
atheist
Cesare Borgia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the big welcome,

Thanks for the big welcome, I think i understand what you mean by activist atheist now and it describes me pretty well Smiling

Btw Cj, you are a rock throw away from me, i am right near Corvalis

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Hey,

BobSpence1 wrote:

Hey, Welcome!

Another life-long non-believer here. I endorse all natural's comments.

I am part of a local Atheist Meetup group in Brisbane, Australia. One of the things we do is fairly regularly get together, in between normal meetings, in a central downtown area to argue with a group of Christians who gather to proselytise to the public.

Went to one last night (Saturday here), and as usual it is both frustrating and educational. Frustratiing as you would expect attempting to argue with their ideas, but does give me more insight into the thought processes behind such beliefs, and the far more immediate responses you get face-to-face vs. online forums.

Problems of them talking over you while you are trying to explain things.

Hope that some onlookers, and possibly even some of the preachers, get some value from my reasoning.

That is really cool. Wish I could watch it in action.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Zeepheus
atheist
Zeepheus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

I never really did believe the whole god thing either but I felt like I had to so I wandered religions until I was in my mid teens before I figured out it was OK not to believe. I have been an Atheist ever since. You will find alot of people here that have been atheists all along and many of us that have had to find our ways out of the religion quagmire. This is a very good place for discussion with lots of people from lots of backgrounds.

Welcome and enjoy your time here.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

You see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cesare Borgia wrote:Cj, you

Cesare Borgia wrote:

Cj, you are a rock throw away from me, i am right near Corvalis

You must have a really strong throwing arm!!

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Welcome to the general insanity.

If you use the plain text editor, you also have to hand write HTML tags. If you use the rich text editor, you do not. That much being said, I use the plain text fairly often as it is the easiest way to embed videos. But you still need to add your own break tags to get any supporting text to format correctly.

Speaking of that.   There were only two things I ever used my Mod privileges for back when I was a mod.  Posting in the Mod forum and fixing people's posts.  Mainly imbedded video fails, double posts, or something minor like quotes in posts by someone.   That's pretty much it.

I fixed failed imbedded video posts ALL the time.   Number one activity.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Aboard.

Welcome to the forum. History fascinates me, especially the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, so I do like that choice for a screen name.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The PS3 doesn't even show

The PS3 doesn't even show the plain text editor. I know where it should be, as I had a functional PC when I first came here, it just doesn't appear.
Of course I'd never be able to use it anyway, as all the formatting code would eat up my character limit like crazy. lol

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.