Hi everybody!

FatTony666
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hi everybody!

I was brought here by a debate I saw online between the RRS and Kirk Cameron and some Aussie for Jesus. I've been watching nearly everything I can on youtube from people like Dawkins, Hitchens, and Sam Harris. My wife and I talk profusely about topics of morality, religion. gender relations, living in a city full to the brim of Jesus. But it's almost like talking to a mirror as we share so many of the same opinions. I figured it was time to go somewhere where I might find people to discuss such topics with who may vary in opinions. It is never a good thing to surround yourself exclusively with the like-minded. You will never get a sense of what life is like outside of your little circle. So this is me trying to expand my circle and find a place I can have discussions with rational people who may not 100% agree with me.

Also my wife joined up so I have to make sure none of you godless heathens try anything...uncouth.

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world."
-Dawkins

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
We're plenty couth around here.

At least according to the last DA's report on our activities. That Aussie with Cameron is actually a Kiwi, and the most clueless theist known in captivity.

Welcome to the sight, post early and often,  just like voting in a Chicago election. I live near Toronto  Canada, where are you living?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

FatTony666
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 I have no clue how to edit

I have no clue how to edit my original post...

A little back story is always nice I guess. I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school until the seventh grade, and served as an altar boy during that time. After my father passed away, I moved to live with my mom. A couple years later, I gradually grew away from the idea of god. I had no one around that was an atheist. No one influenced me. No one drove me away from the church. I simply thought a lot and just found myself unable to believe.

I resent being asked "What happened?" when people find out I used to be Catholic (though I find it somewhat untrue to say I was really a Catholic). Nothing happened. My experiences with the priests in my church were always positive. I just found out that I couldn't believe it all.

I got married, had a son, and began to see that religion wasn't merely a harmless toy people played with. I saw it as a weapon against science, rationality, logic, reason, and the personal desire for knowledge. the very things I love. I feel I must do something.

Lastly, how does one put the title of Atheist above a profile picture?

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world."
-Dawkins

FatTony666
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 Agreed. Useless.I do plan

Agreed. Useless.

I do plan to post often. I got tons to say. Laughing out loud

I hail from the central San Joaquin Valley in California, currently. Prevously, Pomona, CA.

-Dawkins

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I added the 'Atheist' tag

I added the 'Atheist' tag for you.

If you want to add a picture, you can upload it from within the 'Edit' page in 'My account'.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

FatTony666
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 Thank you, sir. I will be

Thank you, sir. I will be sure to get a picture up quickly. Wouldn't want to deprive you all of looking at my handsome face for too long.

-Dawkins

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
FatTony666 wrote: I was

FatTony666 wrote:

I was brought here by a debate I saw online between the RRS and Kirk Cameron and some Aussie for Jesus. I've been watching nearly everything I can on youtube from people like Dawkins, Hitchens, and Sam Harris. My wife and I talk profusely about topics of morality, religion. gender relations, living in a city full to the brim of Jesus. But it's almost like talking to a mirror as we share so many of the same opinions. I figured it was time to go somewhere where I might find people to discuss such topics with who may vary in opinions. It is never a good thing to surround yourself exclusively with the like-minded. You will never get a sense of what life is like outside of your little circle. So this is me trying to expand my circle and find a place I can have discussions with rational people who may not 100% agree with me.

Also my wife joined up so I have to make sure none of you godless heathens try anything...uncouth.

"Uncouth"

Sorry, but the fans of the Abraham religions beat us godless heathens to the Patent and Copyright office competing for the title of "uncouth". It isn't a title humanity should seek to compete for. Farts happen, but most sane humans don't brag about them.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually

FatTony666 wrote:

I was brought here by a debate I saw online between the RRS and Kirk Cameron and some Aussie for Jesus.

That numbat, Ray Comfort, is a New Zealander. We have our own mentally deficient religious nut jobs in Oz.

Banana-hammocked opposition leader, Tony Abbott, for instance, who seems to be turning our Liberal Party into your Tea Party. 

What is it with conservatives and jesus? And conservatives and jesus and climate change denial? 

It's all very disturbing. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

FatTony666
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 Yeah, I was told he was a

Yeah, I was told he was a Kiwi and if I knew how to edit posts, I would definitely change that. And I really don't understand social conservatism...makes my head hurt.

-Dawkins

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome aboard

Welcome aboard dude. I think you'll enjoy the discussions here. This website has proved to be a huge wellspring of information for me. I hope you love it here as much as I do.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Fat Tony, how's

Welcome Fat Tony, how's Johnny Tightlips? Smiling I think you'll have fun here, post often and don't be afraid to let people know when they say something stupid.  Atheists in particular, we need to police our own.  

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nice to meet you.  I'm

Nice to meet you.  I'm really an old lady - and I live in Portland, OR.  Originally from Yuma, AZ, been a westerner all my life.  We may not be neighbors, but at least we are in the same country and on the same time zone.

My path to atheism has been winding with some back sliding into religion long years ago.  I can say I have been an atheist - very little to no agnosticism for me - for over 30 years.  Recently, I have become more militant and less tolerant for various reasons.

Have fun here.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.