Say "Hell No" to "Hello"... Embrace "Heaveno!"

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Say "Hell No" to "Hello"... Embrace "Heaveno!"

I can't mock this due to how pathetic it is (read the stuff about the resolution and proclamation, you'll see what I mean). So, I'm giving it to you to mock. Have at it, guys!

Quote:
Language, an important human behavior, slowly but constantly evolves from older forms to newer ones.  Also our greetings through time have changed several times:

12th Century                HALLOW    Chaucer(1340)                                Europe
16th Century                HALLOO     Shakespeare(1564-1616)                England
19th Century                HULLO                                                               U.S.A
20th Century                HELLO         Thomas Alva Edison(1847-1931)    New Haven, CT
21st Century                HEAVENO   Leonso Canales,Jr. (1940- )            Kingsville, TX

Hello took life in 1878 when Thomas Alva Edison said the first word through the newly invented telephone.  Who really knows, the news media was not around at the time to give us an accurate account.  He could have said, "Hullo," jokingly and mistakenly misprinted.  The fact is that Hello was printed by Noah Webster's dictionary in 1883.

The telephone kept expanding, and so did the greeting.  As the greeting "Hello" kept growing it soon became a general greeting.  Webster's dictionary kept on printing "Hello" as a greeting word.  Alexander Graham Bell (1847-1922) rejected the "Hello" greeting all his life.  His greeting was "Ahoy, Ahoy!"  The dictionaries became a standard foundation for the language and continued to promote the word as our standard greeting.  We never questioned it; we took it for granted and learned it as it was always there..., and strangely enough it has become our most used word on a daily basis.  "I" is the second.  This negative phenomenon possibly has set its pattern.  We have been too busy and too involved in our daily doings to see the whole picture.  Until a person born in Kingsville, Texas questioned the connotation of the word "Hello."  The "O" is not enough to hide the most negative word (Hell) printed in every dictionary!  This greeting word "Hello" has been upon us for 117 years!  Maybe subconsciously we have promoted and fueled the wrong message.

Let's now understand that we all have been misled.  We should now put it behind us and call the 20th century negative and obsolete.  We should now set a new example and set a new precedent!  It is up to us now to make a change and start setting and paving a new road for our youth and ourselves.  Let's show the rest of the world that we are united, friendly, and unique people.

Let's now begin working towards the next 100 years with a more harmonious, intelligent, and positive new universal greeting:  "HEAVENO!"  A symbol of Peace, friendship and Welcome!

Morris Dictionary(1962)

hello:  Legend has it that Thomas Alva Edison himself was the first to say hello over the telephone

Alexander Graham Bell, who is reported to have used "Hoy" or "Ahoy" all his life, rejecting "Hello."

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Hello, with that

Quote:

Hello, with that spelling, was used in publications as early as 1833. These include an 1833 American book called The Sketches and Eccentricities of Col. David Crockett, of West Tennessee, which was reprinted that same year in The London Literary Gazette.

So, already wrong.

"Heaveno" references a long period of "negative and obsolete' attitudes to the honest search for knowledge and understanding, and a perverted attitude to morality, ie, when religion was the dominant force in society.

I doubt anything like that would 'catch on', it already has one too many syllables.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, it won't become widely

Oh, it won't become widely known, but it is ridiculous. And sad. Look at the Resolution:

Quote:

RESOLUTION

WHEREAS, Since the time of man's dawn, we have created traditions to lead us through life, and

WHEREAS, Leonso Canales Jr. has received national acclaim for coining the greeting "HeavenO," which could become a positive tradition, and

WHEREAS, We live in a time referred by historians as the Age of Anxiety in
cycles of change, and

WHEREAS, The Age of Anxiety in the Millennial Cycle includes the baby
boomers, the Hippie turned Yuppie, and the New Youth, and

WHEREAS, The New Youth need hope for their millennial kingdom of opportunity
which includes a promise of good health care, of employment for the future, and the positive greeting epitomized by Mr. Canales' "HeavenO" as a symbol of good things to come, and

WHEREAS, We cannot wait for the millennial norm to be spontaneous behavior, but instead, we need to take the rod in hand and proclaim peace and "HeavenO" to our neighbors throughout the world,

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that Kleberg County adopts Mr. Leonso Canales Jr.'s universal greeting of "HeavenO" as the official greeting of Kleberg County and as a symbol of peace, friendship, and welcome,

LET IT BE FURTHER RESOLVED that Kleberg County commends Mr. Leonso Canales Jr. for his positive approach to greeting people, the national attention he has brought to our county, and his dedication to community.

Seriously? This is the "official greeting" of the county? I didn't even know counties HAD official greetings! And the dude gets commended for having a "positive approach to greeting people"? This is depressing, ludicrous, and deprssingly ludicrous

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is reallly old news,

This is reallly old news, maybe because I live in Texas. It made the local news years ago and I thought it was stupid then. That opinion hasnt changed.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

gary
gary's picture
User is offlineOffline
moot

Hello!   stupid Xtian rant . there is no heaven, hell, deity, demon, dragon, troll, etc.  all pretend.  Get on with 21st century.  USA has bigger problems than hello

Atheism is myth understood