A mind-blowing thought...

Alaskan Atheist
Alaskan Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
A mind-blowing thought...

Hey guys! I was laying in bed, before I fell asleep, contemplating the Cosmos like I usually do at night, when I thought of something.

There are probably huge holes and gaps in this theory that I overlooked, but to be honest, I didn't think too much into it, I just went with the train of thought. Here goes:

The Big Bang was actually just matter being pushed into a new space/time from another Universe's black hole. And our Universe subsequently, over billions of years, made more black holes which are gateways to other Universes, and matter that is being sucked into "our" black holes, are being pushed into another Universe and that was "their" Big Bang...

Probably has been suggested before, or just sounds utterly stupid to some of you, but isn't it interesting to contemplate the Cosmos? I LOVE IT!!

AA

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to known." - Carl Sagan

"Atheism is a non-prophet organization." – George Carlin

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." – Richard Dawkins

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Alaskian Atheist wrote; The Big Bang .....

Yeah, I think that Brian Green says something like that in his book 'Elegant Universe'  with the approach of 11 Dimensions, he says that it fits with the mathematics, and using Quantum mechanics it may answer a lot of questions, that we have never thought of before, maybe ?

Signature ? How ?

Visual_Paradox
atheistRational VIP!Special Agent
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Well, it certainly isn't

Well, it certainly isn't reductionistic thought, but not that I'd be one myself.

But, it reminds me of my brief looking at string theory. Strings can form a kind of membranes, called simply 'branes, on which more strings can be attached with both ends or one end, or two membranes being connected with one string. And if I remember, a membrane is theoretically another state of black hole's existence. 

In case you're not familiar with strings, let's say they're the matter-making bits that are hidden inside quarks. They vibrate in such a way, that gives rise to parallel dimensions. And other things which we haven't yet properly identified, like the branes.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I used to think that all

I used to think that all atomic particles (and after I realized atoms weren't what they were named after: indivisible, I thought it would be the sub-atomic particles, but now that String theory says they aren't indivisible either, I'm giving up on it) were universes of their own. I even thought that maybe one of these universes had an atom in it, that was our universe. And if time were to run backwards in that universe, the end of that universe could be the beginning of ours.
I also heard Fall-out has a religion that says something similar.

But... the biggest problem with other dimensions is that they are infinitely unlikely to be able to interact with our universe. Logic is the only thing that a universe needs, and maybe something similar to time, so change may occur, would be useful, but not required either. The rest can be vastly different. They might not even have dimensions, and even if they did, there are an infinite possibilities of particles/forces (and even an infinite possibilities of alternatives to those), so that it's impossible to find a universe that has light, or responds to our physical touch.

Unless your theory is right, and other universes were created from our universe's matter, and it's rather similar (on String level, I suppose).

And that was my incomprehensible rant...

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thunderios wrote:I used to

Thunderios wrote:

I used to think that all atomic particles (and after I realized atoms weren't what they were named after: indivisible, I thought it would be the sub-atomic particles, but now that String theory says they aren't indivisible either, I'm giving up on it) were universes of their own. I even thought that maybe one of these universes had an atom in it, that was our universe. And if time were to run backwards in that universe, the end of that universe could be the beginning of ours.

It is true at least on the size scale. A string is as big compared to a single atom, as our planet compared to the whole universe. Or something like that.

And yes, strings can divide, but only on other strings. A string attached at one end to a brane may tear off, creating an unattached circular string and a string attached with both ends to the brane. 

Of course, on such scale the interactions are very limited and non-random. These can not be small universes on smaller levels. It's our macroscopic size that gives rise to the magnificent complexity that we see on Earth. And the cosmic levels again in return are not as complex, as our biologic life, I guess. 

Thunderios wrote:
 I also heard Fall-out has a religion that says something similar.
I think that in Fallout they have Children of the Cathedral who worship the big greenish super-mutants. Smiling

Thunderios wrote:
 But... the biggest problem with other dimensions is that they are infinitely unlikely to be able to interact with our universe. Logic is the only thing that a universe needs, and maybe something similar to time, so change may occur, would be useful, but not required either. The rest can be vastly different. They might not even have dimensions, and even if they did, there are an infinite possibilities of particles/forces (and even an infinite possibilities of alternatives to those), so that it's impossible to find a universe that has light, or responds to our physical touch.

Unless your theory is right, and other universes were created from our universe's matter, and it's rather similar (on String level, I suppose).

And that was my incomprehensible rant...

The biggest problem with unlikely things is, that in such a big universe they happen very often. Let's say, if a parallel dimension would interact with us for a long time, how would it look like? Would be there any legends of it? How do you recognize people, who interact with the other dimensions? Insane, enlightened or drugged? 

Parallel dimensions are material, they are a property of material particles, or strings within them. Let's say, there is an n-dimensional space with various particles, which choose to ride it in 3 or more-dimensional way. People made of these particles therefore perceive the world as 3-dimensional. And yes, in some higher material dimensions, our good old space or time dimensions might be more flexible, entirely different or completely irrelevant.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

oneilmccord
oneilmccord's picture
User is offlineOffline
It is very fun!

I as well love contemplating the cosmos, but I am swaying towards the idea that it is impossible, in our current physical existence, to comprehend the infinite cosmos because we are incapable of viewing infinity as a singularity. The reason for this impossibility is due to the fact that we can perceive space time. If we were incapable of perceiving physical space and linear time we would perceive everything all at once and therefore be able to begin to understand existence.

Does this make sense to anyone? I sort of think it makes sense to me.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I cannot see that there is

oneilmccord,

I cannot see that there is any way that any possible (finite) being could actually 'perceive' infinity, in any meaningful way.

Something that extended as far as we could 'see' or imagine, yes, but that doesn't mean it must be 'infinite'.

We do not perceive 'space-time'. We can perceive separation in time and space between objects or events, which is not quite the same thing as perceiving the underlying reality.

We may be able to make observations and then do calculations based on those observations that suggest that what we observed has infinite extent, but that is not the same as 'perceiving' something to be infinite.

If we were not capable of perceiving spatial or temporal separation, that in no way logically implies that we could see anything else, let alone 'everything at once'. It just suggests that while we might still perceive individual objects or events that are within our field of view, but have no direct perception of their temporal or spatial relationship.

So, no, it makes no sense to me.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Alaskan Atheist wrote:Hey

Alaskan Atheist wrote:

Hey guys! I was laying in bed, before I fell asleep, contemplating the Cosmos like I usually do at night, when I thought of something.

There are probably huge holes and gaps in this theory that I overlooked, but to be honest, I didn't think too much into it, I just went with the train of thought. Here goes:

The Big Bang was actually just matter being pushed into a new space/time from another Universe's black hole. And our Universe subsequently, over billions of years, made more black holes which are gateways to other Universes, and matter that is being sucked into "our" black holes, are being pushed into another Universe and that was "their" Big Bang...

Probably has been suggested before, or just sounds utterly stupid to some of you, but isn't it interesting to contemplate the Cosmos? I LOVE IT!!

AA

I hate to burst your bubble, but this is not mind blowing. It has been postulated before.

Whats more important than what happened before the big bang to me is the following.

Whatever happened, which is still a mystery, should not default to alchemy thinking or be filled in with magic super brains.

Just like if you don't know how to build a car engine, you don't assume pixy dust or Thor were the cause.

Whatever material went into the big bang to produce what we see now, is just as natural and not cognitive.

We do know that all the mass we see today came from an extremely small and dense space. What caused the sudden rapped expansion called "big bang" is unknown.

But just like if you found a dead piece of driftwood on the beach, but didn't see which tree it came from, doesn't mean that a tree god put it their or Posiden put it there.

We simply don't know what happened to cause it, just like there are diseases today we can observe but don't know what causes them.

The way I see it, the universe as it is now is no different than a weather pattern. We cant predict the molecule of air or water that triggers a hurricane because there is no one molecule that is the cause, but a general climate.

I would say what caused the big bang was a set of conditions on the quantum level. I know that doesn't sound sexy. But reality should never be sugar coated or conflated. That is the best answer science is pointing to right now.

Would it surprise me if we found out that this universe was born out of the heat death of a prior universe? No. But whatever the answer is, it does not need magic or alchemy or cognition, anymore than a hurricane needs Posiden to explain.

The background radiation is pointing to all the mass in the universe coming from one spot. That is as much as we know right now.

I'll will say this, the thought of everything coming out of that is much more mind blowing than the stupid childish myths of religion.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bob Spence here blows my

Bob Spence here blows my mind all the time with science stuff.

He once pointed to me a graphic of the biggest stars in the universe compared to the size of our sun. One of the biggest ones, if you plucked out our sun and replaced it with that red giant, the surface of that red giant would extend past Saturn. Our sun is puny by comparison.

AND I laughed at him when he told me that I am stronger than the earth. YEA, I did. And you might be laughing reading this now.

HOWEVER, do this right now. Take a pen, or nickle, any object. Drop it on the floor. Then pick it up. The planet has gravity which keeps you on the ground, right? So if the planet is so strong, why is it you can pick that object up and beat the planet at a tug of war picking that object up?

My point is, whatever we don't know, science has so much more amazing stuff to ponder than comic book superstition written by tribal goat herders.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog