Dear God: Get the Hell Out of Our Schools!

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dear God: Get the Hell Out of Our Schools!

Tracey Spicer

01 Mar 05:55am

Whatever happened to the separation of church and state?

And God said to Adam, get spit out your gum and learn about me.And God said to Adam, get spit out your gum and learn about me.

I know, it’s actually the “principle of state neutrality” but let’s not split hairs right now.

Our schools are even more tainted than those in your country – the U S of A – where the teaching of creationism as science in public schools is deemed unconstitutional.

Here, taxpayer dollars fund religious schools, as well as chaplaincy programs for public and private schools.

And it’s a bit more than 30 pieces of silver. That great galumphing God-botherer, Kevin Rudd, increased the funding to $222 million. (Does he bother you? He sure as hell bothered us.)

According to the website, school chaplains are “in the prevention and rescue business… helping students find a better way to deal with family breakdown, loneliness, drug abuse, depression and suicide”.

In the words of Voltaire, “Nothing can be more contrary to religion and the clergy than reason and common sense”.

Frankly, I don’t want someone from a religious order messing with my kids’ heads. That’s my job.

Surely the money should be spent on someone trained in this area, like a child psychologist or family counsellor?
Furthermore, I don’t want anyone from a religious order anywhere near my children without supervision.

‘Nuff said.

Then there are the brainwashing sessions, erm, I mean Scripture Classes.

Several friends have been shocked and dismayed by what came out of their children’s mouths during their first week at school.

Forget the 3 Rs. “Mummy, did you know that God made my arm?” one five-year-old said. “And he made all the birds and the trees and everything. That story you tell about the monkeys, it’s not true!”

And from another, after her mother had dropped a bowl on the kitchen floor and exclaimed “Jesus”: “Mummy don’t say that, you’ll go to hell.”

Both girls brought home colouring pages entitled “God’s creations”.

My girlfriend Lisa lamented, “I wish they were teaching her more useful stuff, but I don’t want to take her out of Scripture Class because she might be ostracised”.

Thank God (if indeed you had a say in this) that NSW is bringing in Ethics Classes as an alternative.

Some of those mad Pentecostals are teaching kids that there’s fossil evidence of man and dinosaurs walking the earth together.

Sometimes I feel like that in the executive suites of TV networks, but that’s the exception rather than the rule.

If we wanted a religious education, we would have sent our kids to a Christian school.

As for the historical aspect of the Bible, surely that could be taught in high school, when kids have the capacity for critical thought?

In primary school, they tend to believe everything they are told.

I had to Google ‘Darwin’s Theory of Evolution’ to prove to my son that creationism was questionable.

As Griffith University humanities lecturer Paul Williams says, “It’s up there with the world being occupied by aliens since Roswell”.

(No offense, Almighty.)

And don’t even get me started on the National Curriculum.

Some folks are saying Intelligent Design will be taught in state schools in the subject of Ancient History.

So God, in summing up, if kids want to believe in you they can do so as consenting adults.

In the meantime, please instruct your representatives to keep their rosary off my progeny.

http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/dear-god-get-the-hell-out-of-our-schools/

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: In

Atheistextremist wrote:

In the meantime, please instruct your representatives to keep their rosary off my progeny.

Amen, Sista!

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
In America at least, prayer

In America at least, prayer in school HAS NOT BEEN STOPPED, it just cannot be organized or promoted by the school. If some delusional kid wants to pray to a fictional being, because they were too stupid to do something REAL like actually study for an exam, they can. But, what the school should not be is a billboard for ANYONE's personal superstition, BY ANY LABEL.

I saw a video a few years back of the abuse by an entire public school, of an atheist girl on the basket ball team refused to partake in an unconstitutional prayer. This wasn't merely the players separately in the locker room individually doing it on their own. This was the school using the "wink wink" loophole, "None of the staff told the students to do it" wink wink, and then this poor individual got harassed and threatened by other students and even parents and teachers because she refused to partake in the collective display of favoritism of the school promoting "wink wink" Christianity.

These same fuckwads who rightfully condemn Islamic countries and their public schools mandating Muslim prayer by students are hypocrites.

If these idiots want to live in a government run theocracy, then they should go live in Iran. I am quite sure these Christians would have nothing to fear, as long as they don't publicly rock the boat like this girl did.

If anyone with a kid in public school reading this runs into this problem. I would suggest they make t-shirts with Jefferson's objections to pulpit politics and magical claims, and wear them at school. How can a teacher deny history? They can only prove their bias and bullying by preventing a student from stating historical quotes from a United States President.

Otherwise if these same Christians don't want someone protesting them when they pray, don't give them something to protest and leave your fucking religion at the door and at your private place of worship and in your home.

Schools should not be used as social experiments or billboards for religious battles. But if the majority insists on making schools a battle ground they cannot bitch about others speaking their mind as well.

Schools are not churches, Synagogues or Mosques, nor are they for the godless. The goal of the teacher is to teach and the goal of the student should be to learn. Our personal biases should be left at the door.

But if Christians insist on making it an issue, then they cant bitch when others use the same venue.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog