Atheist political party in the Netherlands

Last year a political party, explicitely atheist, was born in The Netherlands:

http://www.atheistischseculierepartij.nl/

support them

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I checked them out. I think

I checked them out. I think it's a good thing, and it might get some support, although not a lot of people are explicitly anti-theist, just regular non-believers.
Do you know how professional they are? Because I noticed a bid of weird spelling, like using nivo in stead of niveau, or sex in stead of seks.
I think I will support them, I just need to research them a little more Eye-wink

Ivan Basyn
User is offlineOffline
Atheist political party in the Netherlands

Most of them come from de Vrije Gedachte and are plain atheists. The members are so atheist that they take it as normal that the other members are also full atheists.

The weird spelling was used in the '70 ies when two spellings were in use; the official and the progressive. Only the official spelling remaines but people who were young in the sixties and early seventies still like to use some of it.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I approve

It's time atheists made their presence felt politically. Not sure it will stop godless people from voting for the main sensible parties, however. Glad we have an atheist prime minister over here but sadly she's been so done

over by the spin doctors she no longer exists as a human being. It's a tragic thing. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ivan Basyn wrote:Last year a

Ivan Basyn wrote:

Last year a political party, explicitely atheist, was born in The Netherlands:

http://www.atheistischseculierepartij.nl/

support them

I am all for atheists partaking in national politics, but I don't think ANY political party should be based on exclusionary tests based on labels. Just because someone is an atheist does not mean they would make a good president or PM. Even if every citizen of that country was an atheist, eventually the economy will hit the pits and the word "atheist" will not create jobs or get the economy out of the dumps. ACTIONS, not labels are what we should judge our politicians on.

I think politics should be about pragmatism not labels.

Atheists in America rightfully condemn the unwritten wink and nod Christianity has garnered by usurping "No Religious Test". I don't think anyone should want a one party system and I don't think any political party should be exclusionary.

While the idea of more and more humans giving up on ancient superstitions is appealing, the reality is that others outside our label exist and they are no less human than we are with the same goals of survival and means of a living as we do. We have no more a monopoly on morality than any other human regardless of label.

We should not as atheists coddle any superstition. But we cannot at the same time contribute to the same tribalism we rightfully condemn theism of.

Politics should be about overlap and common ground, not common label.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

It's time atheists made their presence felt politically. Not sure it will stop godless people from voting for the main sensible parties, however. Glad we have an atheist prime minister over here but sadly she's been so done

over by the spin doctors she no longer exists as a human being. It's a tragic thing. 

This is what I am talking about. IF for example we had an atheist president, but she/he pulled the same crap Bush did and put our economy in the tank, being an "atheist" would not make this person a good leader.

If all 7 billion humans proclaimed atheism, humanity would still have problems and would still be to some degree politically divided.

Again, I am all for leading humanity away from myths and superstitions, but we are all still human beings and no political party, nation, or religion or label has a monopoly on morality or productivity.

Once the oppressed becomes the oppressor. There would be nothing preventing an atheist state from doing horrible things just like dogmatic states like Iran or Christianity during the dark ages. What keeps us civil and our voices open, are not our labels, but our common ground of wanting to be free enough to be open about our positions. Without protecting those we disagree with, we all risk our own right to dissent long term.

Our goal as atheists should not be one of political force or force of gun. Our goal should be to use our voices to SHOW that people should not fear giving up on old stories. No matter the future, the world is too divided and atheists do not need to play into the needless fear by suggesting a label itself is a solution to the world's problems.

The world is too small for humanity to put ANY label in the position of being absolute morality.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Ivan Basyn
User is offlineOffline
representation

The Netherlands are a kingdom, they don't elect a president. So elections are about representatives in the parliament. What's the problem when some of them are a watchdog on atheism? There are many christian parties in de Dutch parliament.

StDissonance
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Yes we need another. . .

rich, moderately educated, exclusionary, elitist, group of angry white guys in politics.  

"So we'll integrate non-progressional evolution theory with God's creation of Eden. Eleven inherent metaphoric parallels already there. Eleven. Important number. Prime number. One goes into the house of eleven eleven times, but always comes out one. Noah's ark is a problem." River

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I am all for

Brian37 wrote:

I am all for atheists partaking in national politics, but I don't think ANY political party should be based on exclusionary tests based on labels. Just because someone is an atheist does not mean they would make a good president or PM. Even if every citizen of that country was an atheist, eventually the economy will hit the pits and the word "atheist" will not create jobs or get the economy out of the dumps. ACTIONS, not labels are what we should judge our politicians on.

I think politics should be about pragmatism not labels.

Atheists in America rightfully condemn the unwritten wink and nod Christianity has garnered by usurping "No Religious Test". I don't think anyone should want a one party system and I don't think any political party should be exclusionary.

While the idea of more and more humans giving up on ancient superstitions is appealing, the reality is that others outside our label exist and they are no less human than we are with the same goals of survival and means of a living as we do. We have no more a monopoly on morality than any other human regardless of label.

We should not as atheists coddle any superstition. But we cannot at the same time contribute to the same tribalism we rightfully condemn theism of.

Politics should be about overlap and common ground, not common label.

I think this is one of the better posts on the site

AtheistSam
atheist
AtheistSam's picture
User is offlineOffline
LOL - we had it in South Africa!

StDissonance wrote:

rich, moderately educated, exclusionary, elitist, group of angry white guys in politics.  

And we all know how that worked out! 

Post 1994 its even worse. We have a brain drain, educational qualifications that are not recognised internationally, crimewaves, no medical facilities unless you pay 5x the price out of your own pocket, strike action which has brought our industries to their knees ... but oh: we are rich in culture and diversity so that makes up for it ROFLMAO!

What Would Jesus Drive? Well, God preferred an old Plymouth, "God drove Adam and Eve out of the garden of Eden in a Fury"; Moses was said to ride a motor bike, "the roar of Moses’ Triumph is heard in the hills", while the apostles would carpool in a Honda, "the apostles were in one Accord".