10:23 homeopathy - there's nothing in it

AtheistSam
atheist
AtheistSam's picture
User is offlineOffline
10:23 homeopathy - there's nothing in it

Are there any other South Africans who will be in Cape Town on Saturday, 5 Feb? 

For details about this awareness raising campaign please see http://www.1023.org.uk/press-room.php/homeopathic-overdosers-announce-global-challenge.html

Venue is the University of Cape Town, Jameson Plaza and time is from 10h00 to 12h00

What Would Jesus Drive? Well, God preferred an old Plymouth, "God drove Adam and Eve out of the garden of Eden in a Fury"; Moses was said to ride a motor bike, "the roar of Moses’ Triumph is heard in the hills", while the apostles would carpool in a Honda, "the apostles were in one Accord".

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do they ingest the

Do they ingest the homeopathic remedies that can be freely bought in pharmacy stores?

Maybe it's better that way, these have low potentization. One expert on homeopathy I know uses custom-made extremely high potency remedies, which have long-term effects on the psyche, not ephemeral effects on body. According to him, careless ingestion might cause years of mental problems.

He prescribes the homeopathic substances according to client's problems and his horoscope. Plus a scheme of Kabbalah. A bit old-fashioned for my taste, but he has certain results.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

AtheistSam
atheist
AtheistSam's picture
User is offlineOffline
Apparently you can bring

Apparently you can bring your own pillules or dilution (self-made) or take what's available on the shelves. Thanks for the additional info: I'll take my horrorscope just in case its needed ... and if my posts get progressively more insane as time goes on we'll know why LOL.

My experience in South Africa is that if somebody reaches for the Rescue Remedy or gives it to their babies they're seen as being very virtuous and up to date with the latest medical thinking. Time to debunk that! This quackery which passes as medicine has become a booming business without having to prove its efficacy - as a country we are too poor to be swindled with regards to basic health care!

What Would Jesus Drive? Well, God preferred an old Plymouth, "God drove Adam and Eve out of the garden of Eden in a Fury"; Moses was said to ride a motor bike, "the roar of Moses’ Triumph is heard in the hills", while the apostles would carpool in a Honda, "the apostles were in one Accord".

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
DON'T DROWN!

Hey Atheistsam, I wish you luck working on debunking that crap there. I live in the Seattle, WA area and we have a high concentration of the woo here. It's an uphill battle but it's well worth it.

Luminon wrote:
One expert on homeopathy I know uses custom-made extremely high potency remedies, which have long-term effects on the psyche, not ephemeral effects on body. According to him, careless ingestion might cause years of mental problems.

Luminon, I think you got the order wrong on that one. I think you meant to say that mental problems might cause careless ingestion. Just trying to help.

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
B166ER wrote:Hey Atheistsam,

B166ER wrote:

Hey Atheistsam, I wish you luck working on debunking that crap there. I live in the Seattle, WA area and we have a high concentration of the woo here. It's an uphill battle but it's well worth it.

Exactly what kinds of woo do you have concentrated there? I live in a poor, overcrowded, polluted industrial region full of unemployed people and I thought that woo is concentrated here.

B166ER wrote:
Luminon wrote:
One expert on homeopathy I know uses custom-made extremely high potency remedies, which have long-term effects on the psyche, not ephemeral effects on body. According to him, careless ingestion might cause years of mental problems.

Luminon, I think you got the order wrong on that one. I think you meant to say that mental problems might cause careless ingestion. Just trying to help.

LOL. That arrangement occured to me too, but nope, I meant it as I wrote it Smiling He says the higher potentizations affect higher bodies, the astral, mental or causal body.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline

B166ER wrote:

Luminon wrote:

Richard Dawkins covers the absurdity of homeopathy quite well in his Enemies of Reason documentary.

One drop of "medicine" in such a diluted form that it is practically nonexistent (example used that a swimming pool full of water is not big enough for the proper dilution).

Probably such a large reason for it's continued practice is the placebo effect.

Judging by the little bit of exposure I saw to homeopathic professionals on that documentary, the professionals spend far greater time with the patients than the average doctor and they seem to exhibit genuine concern. Those two combining factors are enough to make patients psychologically feel better just paying a visit, even if they are being prescribed drinking water.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

Richard Dawkins covers the absurdity of homeopathy quite well in his Enemies of Reason documentary.

One drop of "medicine" in such a diluted form that it is practically nonexistent (example used that a swimming pool full of water is not big enough for the proper dilution).

Probably such a large reason for it's continued practice is the placebo effect.

Judging by the little bit of exposure I saw to homeopathic professionals on that documentary, the professionals spend far greater time with the patients than the average doctor and they seem to exhibit genuine concern. Those two combining factors are enough to make patients psychologically feel better just paying a visit, even if they are being prescribed drinking water.

The claim of homeopathy is not on chemical basis. The argument is either using distilled (erased) water's memory to contain information about the substance. Or in my opinion it is rather extracting and multiplying an etheric counterpart of the original active ingredient. Both through the process of intense shaking. (potentization) The effect is not claimed to be chemical either, it is meant as indirect stimulation of nerve and endocrine system. If any homeopathicists claim chemical effects here, they must be dumb.

I admit, I have very little experience with homeopathy, the one I tried works but not more than a placebo would. Perhaps placebo or people's thinking stimulates the nerve and endocrine system just like that. This kind of alternative medicine is not very widespread in my region, the man I meant earlier was from Prague and ony had a tour here. I'd have to be one of his clients to know more firsthand about his work.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline

B166ER wrote:

Luminon wrote:

The hell have you been, mang?!

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

lalib
atheist
lalib's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://www.youtube.com/watch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Z7KeNCi7g

Shazam! Homeopathy debunked!

A bit long, but a great TED talk by James Randi.