I need counter arguments and arguments for some things

Adam3546
User is offlineOffline
I need counter arguments and arguments for some things

I need counter arguments for the following arguments against anti theism

That religion is a tool and like any tool it can be used for good or evil. You wouldn't outlaw guns so why outlaw cars?

That just because religion has been used for the justification of extremely bad things, that doesn't mean it needs to be stopped and that if that's our argument then why not outlaw books that inspire people to kill. (i.e. catcher in the rye)

That people would find a way to hate other people because they were different without religion.

I would also like your opinions on why religion is a problem, and why it needs to be eliminated.

Also do you think that religions will lead to the end of the world? Why?

And I'm asking this because lately I haven't been ready for certain counter arguments against anti theism and I want to be ready to defend my beliefs.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
The reality is that there

The reality is that there will always be people who believe in absurd things and they will attribute good to their superstition.  This happened way before the modern monotheism, and this human behavior we be around as long as our species is alive.

I don't think anyone should be out to "ban" anything, no matter what side of an issue they are on. But to argue for maintaining societal norms "just because"  is absurd. When new data comes along that debunks something, it is childish to cling to the past.  What would you think of someone who  still believed in Santa if they were 45 years old?

I am glad someone bothered to point out that the earth was a globe and not flat. I am glad that we know what DNA is, and I think it is childish to cling to virgin birth stories now that we know what DNA is. I don't see anything wrong with pointing out that the earth is not flat and that the moon is not made of cheese. Stating facts is not a call to fascism, but a call to reason to lead people out of the past and into the future.

Will religion end the world? Something will eventually wipe out all life on this planet. Things like meteors, comets, mega volcano, a super bacteria,......But even if this planet is lucky enough to avoid those things, the sun will expand and fry the planet.

But the modern fans of Abrahamic god/s of the big three, have weapons and all want to usher in their final battle for superiority. While the secular believers and atheists want no part of "the end final battle" there still are plenty in all three camps that are willing to employ a scorched earth policy on the rest of us "IF I CANT HAVE YOU, NO ONE CAN".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Adam

You need to focus on whether or not religion is true.

This business about it being harmless or no worse than whatever, is unimportant.

Christianity is built on a threat - it's not based on anything knowable or comprehensible. It's peddled to kids like a gun to the head. "Believe this or die."

How is that a right way to push a theory for which there is no positive proof? It's a gutless way, that's what.

As for religion causing war or ending the world, I don't think that's relevant.

Religion cheapens human life. Religion trademarks human morals. Religion steals human dignity. Religion and its multifarious doctines are a lie.

As for your anti anti theists - if they have no proof of an actual god, then they are exercising their imaginations. No more and no less.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Adam3546 wrote:I need

Adam3546 wrote:

I need counter arguments for the following arguments against anti theism

That religion is a tool and like any tool it can be used for good or evil. You wouldn't outlaw guns so why outlaw cars?

At that point, I would tell them : So you admit that religion is just a tool and has no basis for facts of anykind ? As for outlawing guns or cars, I would then tell them that they are making a hell of an assertion about what Atheists think. Atheism means no belief in god and that is all. There are Atheists for/against gun control, so to try and divert the issue from religion to gun control is a useless argument on their part.

Adam3546 wrote:

That just because religion has been used for the justification of extremely bad things, that doesn't mean it needs to be stopped and that if that's our argument then why not outlaw books that inspire people to kill. (i.e. catcher in the rye)

They just trapped themselves again. So, I would ask them, you admit that religion HAS done alot of bad things ? So you think those bad things should be ignored and leave it as an institution ? Hitler did a wonderful job on repairing the economy of Germany, tell them that by their logic, every history book now has to point out all of the good things that Hitler did before mentioning the bad.

Adams3546 wrote:

That people would find a way to hate other people because they were different without religion.

Again, they just trapped themselves. They just admitted that people use religion to hate one another. Ask them this one, if rapists are going to probably continue to rape anyway, we probably shouldn't do anything about them.

Adams3546 wrote:

I would also like your opinions on why religion is a problem, and why it needs to be eliminated.

Also do you think that religions will lead to the end of the world? Why?

Religion needs to be outgrown rather than outlawed. I don't believe in imposing my will on the lives of others (unlike religious institutions that do). Hmm, ultimately I can not say whether or not religion would be the sole reason for the end of the world, I have no idea what the circumstances could be.

I don't like religion for hundreds of reasons. The quickest reasons would be that it teaches people that they are inherently evil and flawed and can not have any redeeming qualities without their creator 'fixing" them constantly.

Religions are mostly fear based, using threats and intimidation  of eternal punishment for people to obey medieval notions of morality.

Religion teaches each individual that  they are inherently lost without it, but if the individual follows it, they are the center of the universe. When good things happen, they call themselves "blessed" and  feel that god has given them a special privilege that excludes all of the other sinners. When bad things happen, they believe god is either "testing" their faith or wishing for them to learn through pain. Either way it goes, most religions teach that your life is not your own and your existence hinges upon the whims of some creator that is alternately punishing you and rewarding you.

If religion were outlawed, the followers would not come to the conclusions of the poison of religion on their own, IMO. I had to find those things out for myself and I feel that members of the religious community should do so as well.

Best tools to counter religion is education, more open Atheism and just letting people know that we exist. That way, when their doubts start to bother them, they know that their are ways to get out of it. That's my take.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno