Serious question about human biology.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Serious question about human biology.

Ok, just now I went to the bathroom to pee. But in a split second, because I was standing up, I still felt my sphincter muscle involuntary open up and consciously felt myself going "No I only want to pee", fearing the dreaded involuntary release from the other end.

If I suspect correctly, although the sensation of "OH SHIT" I am going to crap my pants without my own permission. Is it a misfire of neurons conflicting between my subconscious and conscious awareness?

I think that is what was going on. My brain was communicating with my body parts before I could comprehend what I didn't want to happen and was lucky enough to catch myself.

Does this sound right to the biologists and neurologists?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian 37

I do believe what all the rest of us think of you,  full of crap and likely to discharge anytime.

edit] did I type that or did Brian 37 think it out loud[

Excuse me now while I go watch my beloved Patriots beat the crap out of Browny Cleveland.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
You're doing it wrong. 

You're doing it wrong.  Learn to sphincter Sticking out tongue

That is, when you learned to relieve yourself, you probably learned to relax all of your muscles, then later to tighten the ones that you didn't want to have open to just the right degree after the fact.  You just need to lean independent control if you don't want that to happen.  (though it may never be fully independent, it may not be as easy to poop without peeing as to pee without pooping)

Most people *don't* learn independent control as a default, simply because if they need to do one and not the other, it doesn't matter, and if they need to do both, they usually *do* do both (that generally being the goal of the whole endeavor).  So, if 99.9% of the time if you need to shit you sit down and just go about it, you aren't going to be spending the time to learn the precise control needed for that 0.1% of the time for application the rest of the time, because it's just not necessary.  You'll just relax all of your muscles, and then tighten to stop the poop because that's the only way you know how to go about it.

Any skill involving precise muscle control is usually more complex than it might seem to learn (you just don't remember all the work it took to learn most of it)- it's not terribly unlike, as an adult, learning to roll your tongue or wiggle your ears.

It could take you weeks or months of practice to master control of your sphincters- if you can, you'll number among a rare elite of sphincter masters.  I guess you have your work cut out for you.

EDIT:

Here you go:

http://www.poopreport.com/Doctor/Content/peepoo.html

You're relaxing your pelvic floor muscle more than is necessary to pee, without having tightened your outer anal sphincter, so that produces your urgent "oh shit" moment.

If you need to poop- at all- either tighten your anal sphincter first, or don't relax your pelvic floor muscle quite as much (just give the pee a bit more time to come).

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

I do believe what all the rest of us think of you,  full of crap and likely to discharge anytime.

Excuse me now while I go watch my beloved Patriots beat the crap out of Browny Cleveland.

It was a shitty question, but serious non the less. Actually it seems the Brownies, at least in the first quarter are shitting on your parade.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
UGH-----LEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Brian37 wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:

It was a shitty question, but serious non the less. Actually it seems the Brownies, at least in the first quarter are shitting on your parade.

Remind me not to predict Patriot wins before they actually play the game. Now we can get back to your bowel movement the Patriots already had theirs.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm convinced it's an

I'm convinced it's an evolutionary left over, if for no other reason than it being less time consuming -and dangerous- to do 1 and 2 both at the same time.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Speaking of 'PeePoo'...I

Speaking of 'PeePoo'...

I came across this guy's videos last year while learning Photo Shop - he is toooo funny!

PS Brian, maybe you need one of those exercise thingies Susan Somers used to advertise.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein