Boehner: I'll Drop Tax Cut for Rich If I Have To

cygo
Science Freak
cygo's picture
User is offlineOffline
Boehner: I'll Drop Tax Cut for Rich If I Have To

The leading Republican in the House, and a vocal proponent of allowing an extension of the Bush-era tax cuts for all Americans, including the wealthiest 3% of earners, objected to charges by President Obama that Republicans are holding tax breaks for the bottom 97% of earners hostage unless the wealthiest also get an extension.

In a pre-taped interview to appear on CBS' "Face the Nation" Sunday, Republican House Minority Leader John Boehner said that, if approving a bill to extend breaks for middle class income Americans were "the only option," he would support it.

The Congressional Budget Office has estimated extending tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans would cost $700 billion over the next decade.

At a speech in Ohio earlier this week, Mr. Obama said, "With all the other budgetary pressures we have - with all the Republicans' talk about wanting to shrink the deficit - they would have us borrow $700 billion over the next 10 years to give a tax cut of about $100,000 each to folks who are already millionaires."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/09/12/ftn/main6858401.shtml?tag=contentBody;featuredPost-PE

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Makes no sense to me.  That

Makes no sense to me.  That 100,000 the rich are getting would be very handy for me right now.  I really don't feel sympathetic.  And it won't affect investments.  There is plenty of money for investing right now, the problem is getting that money into the hands of small businesses.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

cygo
Science Freak
cygo's picture
User is offlineOffline
Meanwhile, WalMart is eating

Meanwhile, WalMart is eating up the landscape with local monopolization killing off local mom and pops and nobody can stop them.

Let's chop them up into tiny Chinese stores and let the would-be entreprenuerial spirit enter and American Dream begin yet again anew.

rebecca.williamson
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I agree strongly on the

I agree strongly on the walmart thing. Not to mention, I watch a documentary and I want to say it was Micheal Moores " capitalism a love story" can't exactly remember. Anyway several companies including walmart take out life insurance policies on their employees. The one that stood out the most to me was about an ex employee of walmart bakery who had died from cancer I think months after quitting. They collected close to one million dollars from her death and she didn't even work there anymore. As if they needed the money? It seriously spark a momentary thought in my mind about going around and setting a few walmarts on fire. The problem is most of them are open 24/7 to make even more money, so there's always people in them, dammit.

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
If I wasn't already too

If I wasn't already too jaded about politics to reasonably believe that was really something he was going to do anyway without Obama forcing his hand, I'd have quite a bit of respect for Boehner.  I don't know what he would have done, but the admission is just as likely politically forced as willing. 

I'm not really an Obama supporter either, but calling them out in that way was a pretty smart move- it's a brilliant way to force the Republicans to allow what amounts to a rich tax through, and it's going to be very hard for the next Republican in office to undo it.

Whether I agree with it or not, I can appreciate the quality of brilliant manoeuvring.

cygo
Science Freak
cygo's picture
User is offlineOffline
GOP leaders, including Boehner, backed away from Boehner

GOP says no deal on tax cuts

Leaders, including Boehner, backed away from comments Boehner made a day earlier.

Read more:
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/front_page/20100914_GOP_says_no_deal_on_tax_cuts.html#ixzz0zUc5RU41

Some elephants forget, apparently.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I like Walmart because it

I like Walmart because it is open 24/7 and I'm a penny pincher. If you are concerned about the mom & pop stores feel free to go pay their prices I won't stop you. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
cygo wrote:Meanwhile,

cygo wrote:

Meanwhile, WalMart is eating up the landscape with local monopolization killing off local mom and pops and nobody can stop them.

I don't agree with this. We could stop them by choosing to shop elsewhere. We choose, every time we enter a WalMart, to kill off small businesses that would have gotten our money instead. If those mom and pop businesses cost more to buy from or are more inconvenient to go to, then they deserve to be driven out of business due to the average consumer being unwilling to spend money in them. WalMart offers low prices and one-stop-shop convenience. Mom and pop businesses charge more and require that you visit multiple stores to do all your shopping. In the choice between costly and inconvenient or cheap and convenient, most consumers choose cheap and convenient. Demonizing WalMart won't make it any less sensible for the average consumer to enjoy the benefits of going to WalMart. I don't even like WalMart, I just recognize its legitimate place in the market. Can we try to hold off on demonizing it?

rebecca.williamson wrote:

It seriously spark a momentary thought in my mind about going around and setting a few walmarts on fire.

Jesus titty-fucking Christ! They aren't that evil. They have a legitimate place in the market. They aren't forcing anyone to do anything. They merely offer you the choice to save money at their business or to shop elsewhere and probably pay a little bit more for the same good. I can't imagine how that is a bad thing.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

rebecca.williamson
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:cygo

Jormungander wrote:

cygo wrote:

I don't agree with this. We could stop them by choosing to shop elsewhere. We choose, every time we enter a WalMart, to kill off small businesses that would have gotten our money instead. If those mom and pop businesses cost more to buy from or are more inconvenient to go to, then they deserve to be driven out of business due to the average consumer being unwilling to spend money in them. WalMart offers low prices and one-stop-shop convenience. Mom and pop businesses charge more and require that you visit multiple stores to do all your shopping. In the choice between costly and inconvenient or cheap and convenient, most consumers choose cheap and convenient. Demonizing WalMart won't make it any less sensible for the average consumer to enjoy the benefits of going to WalMart. I don't even like WalMart, I just recognize its legitimate place in the market. Can we try to hold off on demonizing it?

rebecca.williamson wrote:

It seriously spark a momentary thought in my mind about going around and setting a few walmarts on fire.

Jesus titty-fucking Christ! They aren't that evil. They have a legitimate place in the market. They aren't forcing anyone to do anything. They merely offer you the choice to save money at their business or to shop elsewhere and probably pay a little bit more for the same good. I can't imagine how that is a bad thing.

Gah! I said momentarily and I still shop at damn walmart because basically they have everything I need in one place. My personal opinion is that it's kinda a f'd up thing to do considering they are a multi-billion dollar company.

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.

cygo
Science Freak
cygo's picture
User is offlineOffline
Small Business Bill Advances

Thankfully, the Small Business bill is advancing despite months of Republican resistance.

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/15/senate-small-business-bill-advances/