Christopher Hitchens has Cancer

The Uncanny
User is offlineOffline
Christopher Hitchens has Cancer

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jacketcopy/2010/06/a-cancer-diagnosis-suspends-christopher-hitchens-book-tour.html

Unfortunatley, he had to cancel his book tour due to his diagnosis and treatment schedule.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to RRS  It would

Welcome to RRS Eye-wink

It would seem relevant to know what type of tissue has become cancerous... and if he's close to the 'endstage' of it.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Welcome to RRS

Kapkao wrote:

Welcome to RRS Eye-wink

It would seem relevant to know what type of tissue has become cancerous... and if he's close to the 'endstage' of it.

esophagus

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Uncanny wrote: C. Hitchens has cancer

I kinda dig this guy,he has changed many peoples mind about religion,saints and authoritarianism, question the so called leaders of this world was really his message.I just saw him on book TV,talking about "Hitch22"his new book .I hope that they saw this cancer early on .I have cancer of the liver and I just got done my first round of chemo.(man,was I sick from the chemo.) in a few weeks,it's back in the hospital for round two.As the article states "one wishes Hitchen well with his treatments.O'yeah I almost forgot his book "Letters to a young contrarian"was one of my favorite books that I've read.He is a fantastic writer. 

Signature ? How ?

Kavis
atheist
Kavis's picture
User is offlineOffline
From what I understand, it's

From what I understand, it's esophageal cancer.  Big surprise in a smoker/drinker.  Get well, Christopher, and Ken G. too.

Religion is a virus.
Fight the infection.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote:Kapkao

shelleymtjoy wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

Welcome to RRS Eye-wink

esophagus

I know that already...

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
You know what pisses me off

You know what pisses me off about this? Maybe his treatment can save him, maybe it wont. But when believers have the same vices, other believers say that it is because they are flawed. When Hitchens has the same vices, it is because he is evil.

But Limbaugh can pop pills with impunity because he has always believed in god.

The only thing I worried about with Hitchens is that he'd get behind the wheel and drive drunk and kill himself or someone else, but I have that same concern with my believing friends who drink.

Just because he has vices and medical problems is not due to not believing in a god, it simply makes him human.

And if believers would listen to his political views, they would see IN SOME CASES, he has more in common with the right wing than he does with his fellow atheists.

I still remember him at the "Crystal Clear" convention in DC when I asked for his autograph when he looked at me like I was an inept flea for not having a working Sharpe. Priceless.

I do wish him well in any case. His fiery attitude is as much needed as any atheist with a library bedside manor.

"BUILD UP THAT WALL"(Hitchens knows what I mean by that.)

Get well Hitchens, we need you.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hitch is among my favorite

Hitch is among my favorite humans... Hope he gets well...

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:Hitch is

Rich Woods wrote:

Hitch is among my favorite humans... Hope he gets well...

I second this notion. His eloquent and brazen voice would be missed.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
It is saddening to realise

It is saddening to realise there are fundies out there who will triumpg this as a blow from god to atheism. I hope he recovers fully, because I enjoy his works, because he his a person with friends and family, and because I want theists to see that when you're sick, it's not god that heals you, it's science bitches

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loc wrote:It is saddening to

Loc wrote:

It is saddening to realise there are fundies out there who will triumpg this as a blow from god to atheism. I hope he recovers fully, because I enjoy his works, because he his a person with friends and family, and because I want theists to see that when you're sick, it's not god that heals you, it's science bitches

Unless god is defined as smoking and drinking, I don't really see the connection.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

liberatedatheist
atheistScience Freak
liberatedatheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
 does anyone know how far

does anyone know how far along his cancer has progressed. the odds are pretty good 60-75% if caught early but it gets grim pretty fast after that

I Am My God

The absence of evidence IS evidence of absence

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Kavis wrote :Get Well,Christopher and Ken G. too

Hey,Thank You.So far so good. I only have one more cancerous spot on my liver and then I'll be cancer free,if they're able to hit it and I think that they will be successful. I'm praying to Jake for some guidance and hope .

Signature ? How ?

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:Loc wrote:It

robj101 wrote:

Loc wrote:

Unless god is defined as smoking and drinking, I don't really see the connection.

Ditto on most of that. Regardless of which person it is, if they are famous and have managed to stir up some controversy in their days, chances are pretty damn good there is going to be some grave dancers mocking such people when they are dead.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote:  

Ken G. wrote:

Hey,Thank You.So far so good. I only have one more cancerous spot on my liver and then I'll be cancer free,if they're able to hit it and I think that they will be successful. I'm praying to Jake for some guidance and hope .

I'd like to second Kavic's notion; you're easily one of the most humble and easy-to-approach atheists out there, and since such qualities seem to come up short around RRS these days, it would be a damned shame -no, a tragedy- for you to stop breathing.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote: For you to stop breathing

Yes ! " I second that emotion" (Smokey Robinson)