Kissing someone's ass here.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Kissing someone's ass here.

Everyone has down times in their lives, and someone to help them to pull through. Lately I had been stressed over my mom's health issues(doing ok considering), and stress at work.

Bob Spense has been there countless times for me over the past 6 years,  not in person, in voice. He lives in Australia, I live on the East coast in the states.  Last night he took my mind off my troubles and at the same time educated me on science. That escape cheered me up, once again.

I wish my teachers had taken his approach that he does with me. Last night he gave me perspective as to black holes, AND gravity affecting time. The stuff we discussed blew my mind, and as he rightfully puts it, nature shows how childish superstition and myth are compared to reality.

I also like his patience with me, considering I cant do a fraction to save my life. He treated it as a question answer session where I asked the questions and he gave brief visual analogies. Because he didn't get geeky technical I was able to grasp and visualize what he was saying. He gave me a sense of enthusiasm about it.

I can't begin to express how much our friendship has been important to me. Every time I get down about something Bob has always been there to pull me out of it.

The only thing about that rat bastard  that bugs me is that he wont get his ass over here so I can torture him with an NFL game. No worries Bob, the new season is 4 weeks away! MUEHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good ass kissing.....

..........and since you would be forcing him to watch the D.C. team attempt to play,  that would be NFL torture. Now take my Patriots.......

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not sure about the 'merican football

Brian, but even in this one dimensional world we chat in, Bob is the real deal.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Y(ou guys)*slurp slurp,

(You guys)*slurp slurp, looks up* oh hey Bob whats up.

lol I had to say it.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:(You

robj101 wrote:

(You guys)*slurp slurp, looks up* oh hey Bob whats up.

lol I had to say it.

Aw, shucks, I need some virtual company myself, working from home as I do.

Chatting with Brian helps keep me.... I was going to say 'sane', how how could that work with someone like Brian??

JK - I think. 

I often wonder, just WTF resonated between us to get us to this point? Eh, no matter - it works.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nothing like a Summer

Nothing like a Summer Bromance, I guess.

Wrap your minds around this... in all of the years we have spent as forum-buddies, stickam friends, and fellow ideologues, literally millions of things have changed, have been learned, or have been discovered.

In those moments when something changes with regard to our own particular scientific interests, we always know where we want to share them first.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Everyone has

Brian37 wrote:

Everyone has down times in their lives, and someone to help them to pull through. Lately I had been stressed over my mom's health issues(doing ok considering), and stress at work.

Bob Spense has been there countless times for me over the past 6 years,  not in person, in voice. He lives in Australia, I live on the East coast in the states.  Last night he took my mind off my troubles and at the same time educated me on science. That escape cheered me up, once again.

I wish my teachers had taken his approach that he does with me. Last night he gave me perspective as to black holes, AND gravity affecting time. The stuff we discussed blew my mind, and as he rightfully puts it, nature shows how childish superstition and myth are compared to reality.

I also like his patience with me, considering I cant do a fraction to save my life. He treated it as a question answer session where I asked the questions and he gave brief visual analogies. Because he didn't get geeky technical I was able to grasp and visualize what he was saying. He gave me a sense of enthusiasm about it.

I can't begin to express how much our friendship has been important to me. Every time I get down about something Bob has always been there to pull me out of it.

The only thing about that rat bastard  that bugs me is that he wont get his ass over here so I can torture him with an NFL game. No worries Bob, the new season is 4 weeks away! MUEHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Who?... Isn't that the guy who posts like a robot?

Kidding aside, this doesn't suprise me one bit... Hope things work out Brian... Best to Mom...

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote:Nothing

darth_josh wrote:

Nothing like a Summer Bromance, I guess.

Wrap your minds around this... in all of the years we have spent as forum-buddies, stickam friends, and fellow ideologues, literally millions of things have changed, have been learned, or have been discovered.

In those moments when something changes with regard to our own particular scientific interests, we always know where we want to share them first.

Can I get an a-fuckin'-men!

I haven't been as active here over the last few months, but I've always checked in, just to see what my favorite folks are doing. (Yeah, I'm looking at you, BobSpence1, and HisWillness, and Vestat, and Brian37, and darth_josh, and all the rest of y'all.)

Y'all are dinkum. Whatever the fuck that means.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

rdklep8
atheistScience FreakSuperfan
rdklep8's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian... I am pretty spotty

Brian... I am pretty spotty on these boards... and i find that when I'm not feeling quite myself I always find myself back here looking around...

After a couple months hiatus I'm glad this is the first message I found.  Oddly satisfying.  Not trying to hijack the thread in the least... kind of saying thank you.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dinkum as in a thing being Fair Dinkum

nigelTheBold wrote:

Y'all are dinkum. Whatever the fuck that means.

means 'real' or honest.  I'm not sure that's true of of us all the time thankfully. I'm talking about you and your mystical  brain Lumie...

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck