I need to vent about a xian belief

AnarchyMell
Superfan
AnarchyMell's picture
User is offlineOffline
I need to vent about a xian belief

OK, what I don't understand is how people can believe the Xian religion bull shit. 

1.  If god already knew the people were going to sin and he would have to send many of his "special creations" to hell, why did he create them at all.  He is all knowing, he knows what we are going to do before we do it.  Why did he create the world, if he knew how much we would screw it up???

2.  Many Xians believe the bible is the infallible word of god, but when you point out inaccuracies, then they say things like, "it was translated by people", OK so its the most important document from god to us, so we can all come to know him, but it it was written by people who screwed it up.  Why didn't god step in and correct what was wrong?  Why if it is so important for us to be saved is it so contradictory?  If god really wanted us to be saved, wouldn't he make it easy for us to understand?  And why isn't the science of the bible correct?  If it was inspired by god, don't you think he would get his science right?  Don't you think he would know his laws of the universe and put it in his book?

3.  I was raised a Xian and went to Xian school, and even when I was little I never understood why somethings in the bible were OK then but not now, like plural marriages, slavery, etc.  Why wasn't gods law static?  Why were somethings OK then, but not now?

These things have always bothered me, so thanks for giving me the forum to vent my frustrations and my complete anger I feel because of all the times I never felt good enough for god.  Damn, all that time wasted for nothing!

Anarchism is the only philosophy which brings to man the consciousness of himself; which maintains that God, the State, and society are non-existent, that their promises are null and void, since they can be fulfilled only through man's subordination. Anarchism is therefore the teacher of the unity of life; not merely in nature, but in man.

Emma Goldman

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'll vent right with you

Quote:
I was raised a Xian and went to Xian school, and even when I was little I never understood why somethings in the bible were OK then but not now, like plural marriages, slavery, etc.  Why wasn't gods law static?  Why were somethings OK then, but not now?

Obviously... most of "his" followers are morons.

Quote:
Why did he create the world, if he knew how much we would screw it up???

Invisible shepherds=fuckwits

Quote:
Many Xians believe the bible is the infallible word of god, but when you point out inaccuracies, then they say things like, "it was translated by people", OK so its the most important document from god to us, so we can all come to know him, but it it was written by people who screwed it up.  Why didn't god step in and correct what was wrong?  Why if it is so important for us to be saved is it so contradictory?  If god really wanted us to be saved, wouldn't he make it easy for us to understand?  And why isn't the science of the bible correct?  If it was inspired by god, don't you think he would get his science right?  Don't you think he would know his laws of the universe and put it in his book?

Yeah, not even the Vaticant can cough up the original New Testament. Is that a real mindf*ck or what? Well it should be... for most Catholickers.

(I'm not including ex-Catholics in that sentence, btw)

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Don't expect answers to those...

AnarchyMell, don't expect Christians to answer those. They can't. They never will. They will continue to dodge the questions and go for the less then intelligent folks to keep the cult going. Sigh...

But that doesn't mean we can stop publicly asking these questions. Every questioning person who hears them vocalized and unanswered by the religions believers is another person who has the chance to tear away the mental shackles of faith.

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

AnarchyMell
Superfan
AnarchyMell's picture
User is offlineOffline
I always tell people I'm a

I always tell people I'm a "born-again atheist".  I swear I felt born again when I finally let go of the religious "shackles". 

Anarchism is the only philosophy which brings to man the consciousness of himself; which maintains that God, the State, and society are non-existent, that their promises are null and void, since they can be fulfilled only through man's subordination. Anarchism is therefore the teacher of the unity of life; not merely in nature, but in man.

Emma Goldman

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Life long atheist

AnarchyMell wrote:
I always tell people I'm a "born-again atheist".  I swear I felt born again when I finally let go of the religious "shackles". 

As a life long atheist, I wouldn't known what it's like to be rid of the mental shackles, but I can imaging it's like tasting your first breaths of fresh air.

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
AnarchyMell wrote:OK, what I

AnarchyMell wrote:

OK, what I don't understand is how people can believe the Xian religion bull shit. 

1.  If god already knew the people were going to sin and he would have to send many of his "special creations" to hell, why did he create them at all.  He is all knowing, he knows what we are going to do before we do it.  Why did he create the world, if he knew how much we would screw it up???

If you were an eternal entity and had nothing to do but could do anything why not? It's like writing a movie and then filming it, you do it for the fun of it.  First you create your movie set, in this case all of the shit in the Universe. Then you create characters to play in the movie, develop all of their lines, making sure they think these lines are their own ideas, put them in a situation where they pick the path that will keep you entertained for a few thousand years and watch the show.

I mean, what's your other choice if you are this eternal being, listen to the praising 24/7 of all your slave beings, I mean angels kissing your ass? Boring! So, you watch the little play you set up even though you know the entire plot just to have something to do.

AnarchyMell wrote:

2.  Many Xians believe the bible is the infallible word of god, but when you point out inaccuracies, then they say things like, "it was translated by people", OK so its the most important document from god to us, so we can all come to know him, but it it was written by people who screwed it up.  Why didn't god step in and correct what was wrong?  Why if it is so important for us to be saved is it so contradictory?  If god really wanted us to be saved, wouldn't he make it easy for us to understand?  And why isn't the science of the bible correct?  If it was inspired by god, don't you think he would get his science right?  Don't you think he would know his laws of the universe and put it in his book?

If you read it carefully, you see the god is a schizophrenic. Does that help you get it. Or, it's part of the script in the movie he's making for his entertainment. Why would he want it to be obvious to the characters he made. Where's the fun in that?

AnarchyMell wrote:

3.  I was raised a Xian and went to Xian school, and even when I was little I never understood why somethings in the bible were OK then but not now, like plural marriages, slavery, etc.  Why wasn't gods law static?  Why were somethings OK then, but not now?

These things have always bothered me, so thanks for giving me the forum to vent my frustrations and my complete anger I feel because of all the times I never felt good enough for god.  Damn, all that time wasted for nothing!

The god Yahweh is nothing more than a man made god developed from  ignorance of the universe and ancient man's attempt to explain things he didn't understand. The god is morphed from all ancient cultures with pieces of Egyptian, Sumerian and Canaanite myths and legends spun together to give the people living in Judah a sense of importance and value. It's no different in that respect than any other culture that created bullshit to explain why they were so important in their known world. When you take a religion developed in the time of savagery and violence and adopt it into a new direction where new bullshit is added, ie. God is Love, Jesus loves you, there will be problems. OT version, woman screws her neighbor, she is stoned, NT version, he that is without sin cast the 1st stone. Reason, if you kill off all the believers where will you get cash contributions in the collection plate so you can sit back and be judgmental while you bang the church secretary.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
AWESOME QUOTE!

AnarchyMell wrote:

Emma Goldman

I love that quote! What I wouldn't do to have been able to meet Emma Goldman just once. That woman was amazing! When I was 18 my ex-girlfriend and I made these "WWEGD?" T-shirts with this picture on it. Those were awesome!

http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Goldman/Photos/960402008.jpeg

"I Want Freedom, the Right to Self-Expression,
Everybody's Right to Beautiful Radiant Things"

No Gods, No Masters!

AnarchyMell
Superfan
AnarchyMell's picture
User is offlineOffline
She was an amazing woman!

I would have totally bought one of those shirts and worn it proudly!!!

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
It was for Emma

AnarchyMell wrote:
I would have totally bought one of those shirts and worn it proudly!!!

They were made in the memory of Emma Goldman, so in no way were they sold. Gifted to people, but never sold.  XD

No Gods, No Masters!

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
AnarchyMell wrote: 1.  If

AnarchyMell wrote:

Ah, well, see, free will is a very good thing. Creating us with the free will to do things that he doesn't want us to do so that he can then send us to be tortured for all eternity is apparently morally preferable to not creating us at all.

Quote:

Hey, God's a busy guy. I mean, if you want to learn the Bible, you could just learn Koine Greek and Hebrew, as well as study the history extensively to figure out the context. Context is very important. What is obviously immoral and nonsensical when taken at face value might actually be a metaphor or something that it doesn't actually say if you can find the right context.   

And what's wrong with the science of the Bible? The universe is 6000 years old; the Earth is a flat disc, and all other celestial bodies orbit around it like the glass on a frickin snow globe.      

Quote:

Oh psh, God's law hasn't changed. People just aren't following God's law anymore.

Stone the blasphemers!

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

AnarchyMell
Superfan
AnarchyMell's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just dont understand how

I just dont understand how people can be so blind!  The whole religion thing just is so idiotic and yet people cant get enough of it.

I was so fortunate to have grown up in the family that I did.  Even though we were xians, my dad was very nonconformist so I was always taught to question everything.  I tried so hard to be a good xian, but I never had that testimony that everyone else had.  There was never that day jesus totally transformed my life.  I always thought there was something wrong with me, but it turns out its them that has the problem. 

Hey, wait!  I do have a testimony!  Just not one they are looking for!  Smiling

Emma Goldman

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
AnarchyMell wrote:I always

AnarchyMell wrote:

See my signature.  I, too, feel that way.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
AnarchyMell wrote:I always

AnarchyMell wrote:

CAN I GET A....

HELL YEAH?!

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
missed this earlier

AnarchyMell wrote:
  Damn, all that time wasted for nothing!

Not really

You're sentiments are ALWAYS welcome here Smiling

Whatthedeuce
atheist
Whatthedeuce's picture
User is offlineOffline
AnarchyMell wrote:OK, what I

AnarchyMell wrote:

In my experiences, Christians usually get around these particular questions in two ways. The first one is by ignoring them and just not thinking about them. The second is by assuming that there are valid solutions for them, but we have just not figured out what they are. This second method is often accompanied by the idea that though we can speculate about how the problems may be resolved, we are fundamentally incapable of ever completely being sure we are correct about their resolutions.

I don't understand why the Christians I meet find it so confusing that I care about the fact that they are wasting huge amounts of time and resources playing with their imaginary friend. Even non-confrontational religion hurts atheists because we live in a society which is constantly wasting resources and rejecting rational thinking.

Whatthedeuce
atheist
Whatthedeuce's picture
User is offlineOffline
B166ER wrote:AnarchyMell

B166ER wrote:

AnarchyMell wrote:

As a life long atheist, I wouldn't known what it's like to be rid of the mental shackles, but I can imaging it's like tasting your first breaths of fresh air.

For me, realizing that I was an atheist was actually not a liberating feeling. It made me realize that I am no longer a member of an institution which has a very strong social importance in our society. It also made me realize that many people will judge or refuse to associate me for my lack of belief in a religion. Since as a human, I am a social animal, recognizing that I am excluded from an aspect of society that has such social importance was not a good feeling.

I don't understand why the Christians I meet find it so confusing that I care about the fact that they are wasting huge amounts of time and resources playing with their imaginary friend. Even non-confrontational religion hurts atheists because we live in a society which is constantly wasting resources and rejecting rational thinking.

AnarchyMell
Superfan
AnarchyMell's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm sorry to hear that,

I'm sorry to hear that, Whatthedeuce.  I have never really ever been part of any groups as I have never really ever felt like I fit in.  So when I realized I was an atheist, it was a wonderful feeling, "like tasting your first breaths of fresh air" as B166er put it.

I have had repercussions of my new found beliefs.  People that I used to hang out with, now bring me books and some DVD's about god. My aunt acted like I stuck a knife in her heart.  My daughter had to have 2 ribs removed this Xmas because of a tumor and my aunt said, "I'll be praying for her, even though that means nothing to you."  I just laugh it off though.  I just say too bad for you if you are so closed minded that you cant accept me for who I am.   

Emma Goldman

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
I've asked lots of

I've asked lots of christians those questions, I've never seen a good answer that didn't contradict some other part of their belief.

They aren't questions about god though, they are questions about the modern interpretation of the Christian God and Jesus.  Honestly, god could be real and those questions would not be contradictory...but only if god is a dick 

Actually, theism would make a lot more sense if your deity was an asshole.  It still wouldn't be true, but you wouldn't have as much contradiction.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
AnarchyMell wrote:I just say too bad for you if you are so close

minded that you cant accept me for who Iam . well you can call us your family, we accept all kinds here.

Signature ? How ?

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
fuckin A!

AnarchyMell wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that, Whatthedeuce.  I have never really ever been part of any groups as I have never really ever felt like I fit in.  So when I realized I was an atheist, it was a wonderful feeling, "like tasting your first breaths of fresh air" as B166er put it.

I have had repercussions of my new found beliefs.  People that I used to hang out with, now bring me books and some DVD's about god. My aunt acted like I stuck a knife in her heart.  My daughter had to have 2 ribs removed this Xmas because of a tumor and my aunt said, "I'll be praying for her, even though that means nothing to you."  I just laugh it off though.  I just say too bad for you if you are so closed minded that you cant accept me for who I am.   

I was an Atheist before I even had "atheist" as a part of my vocabulary! (age 10)

Freaked my parents out to NO END!! But then... that never really bothered me...

To me it's somewhat ironic... because I sometimes briefly convert back to Xtianity during moments of EXTREME depression/despair. Not a nice place to be... what with invisible skydaddy(s) and all...

solipsistic_me
solipsistic_me's picture
User is offlineOffline
I soooo agree!

it's funny, because I just had a debate with my christian friends about 'free will', because if god knew we would go to hell, why did he create us? i tooootally agree (:

Curious (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
AnarchyMell wrote: 2. 

AnarchyMell wrote:

Exactly what scientific "errors" are you referencing?