Really stupid 'Good Friday' story.......

nkbearsnk
nkbearsnk's picture
User is offlineOffline
Really stupid 'Good Friday' story.......

So........ I decided to call the mom tonight. [I live in Japan(Former Catholic).....she lives in Northern Illinois(Crazy Catholic)......so talking is tough enough.]

We do the small talk and discuss the family......things like that. 

My mom and I have this conversation......

Mom: So.....you gonna watch 'The passion of the Christ tomorrow?

Me: No

Mom: Why not? You did growing up? You taking this atheist thing seriously?

Me: Well.......cause the movie sucked. I watched it once, Hated it,.......and yes......I am serious.  

Mom: (Long pause) Um.........so what you going to do tomorrow?

Me: Well......wake up......a little hungover. Go to work......leave early. Play 9 holes or hit the range. Go home and hang out with friends and the wife.  

Mom: (Lets out a LONG, DEEP BREATH)

ME: Sounds like a 'Good Friday' to me!

Mom: *Click*

Merry Good Friday all! Or is it Happy Good Friday? Or......have a good "three hours of darkness!

Anyone else have the 'Easter Complex' with family this time of year? Stories? Please share........

Have a good weekend from 'this guy' in Japan!  

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry

No crazy relatives here.  At least, I am far away from them and we have finally stopped bothering each other over this sort of stuff.  My relatives are mostly agnostic/atheist except for my sister's family which is over the top JW.

I never understood the whole Easter thing even when I was church going.  Why celebrate that someone was tortured and killed at the behest of their father?  He is doing it for me?  What if I am not especially comfortable with the idea of someone else suffering for my sins?  And if he did suffer just for me, why am I supposed to be still worried about my sins?  I'm supposed to call up (pray) and say - forgive me - and it is all over with anyway, right?  And now we color eggs, eat them deviled or done up in egg salad, eat candy in the shape of fuzzy animals, all in celebration of this dude being crucified?  No sense, just no sense at all.

Please, please, don't try to explain it to me!    Thanks in advance.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Unfortunately I will be

Unfortunately I will be working and suffering at the hands of the masses who will celebrate it. Fortunately I will have the next day off and when I get off work it will be beer time and blasphemy time. I will spend the rest of the day here bitching about the credulity of the masses.

COME ON FOLKS,

A guy looses all his blood, suffers all organs failing, suffers brain death, has every cell in his body die, and suffers rigor mortis only to dance the jig on Sunday?  How can people in our age of medical knowledge buy this crap?

I am fortunate, my mother wont be bugging me about it, other than to hand me an Easter basket, no religious stuff, just a bunch of candy and goodies.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Your Friday sounds better

Your Friday sounds better than what most of my religious friends have planned. Hell, it sounds better than my plans: you're in Japan, fer cryin' out loud.

I'll be helping my brother set up a spit for a pig roast on Saturday. And, I'll be looking for some Crooked River beer. Or other beer, for that matter. And drinking some beer.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
A group of us are going

I prefer the term "Hilarious friday"... A group of us are going out... eating red meat and drinking heavily...

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
nkbearsnk wrote:Mom: (Lets

nkbearsnk wrote:

Mom: (Lets out a LONG, DEEP BREATH)

ME: Sounds like a 'Good Friday' to me!

ZING!

We'll be at the Zoo in Seattle on Saturday, then we'll come back home on Sunday (too late for church, awe shucks) and do familiy stuff.  Eat food, color and hide eggs for my daughter, etc. etc.

Hopefully we'll make it to the theater for Clash of the Titans!

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
I get to possibly work

I get to possibly work (depending if the client can actually make it to the site or not) help a friend move and pick up my daughter for the weekend......then off to Niagara falls to Great wolf lodge for an all expense paid weekend there....yup my daughter and me....and the girlfriend and her 2 kids.......I am going to need a vacation after this weekend.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can't recall ever feeling

I can't recall ever feeling that Good Friday was particularly significant. Easter was about Easter eggs, and an excuse for a family get-together.

The Jesus story was never more to me than just that, a story, one of those things a lot of grown-ups seemed to care a lot about.

Good Friday was always a bit annoying because so many shops were closed. We aren't anywhere near as Sunday/Holiday observant now as we used to be here.

Our supermarkets were closed all day today, one of the few days they still do that, and a lot of small stores which normally open during the day. But I just went out for a cycle ride, and the pizza place and video rental store were both open in my local shopping center (this was around 5pm). How disrespectful of them. But then the pizza place is called 'Hell Pizza', so it ain't that surprising , I guess.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bobspence1, by any chance is

Bobspence1, by any chance is Hell Pizza a Greek place?

I ask because we have lots of Greeks and Russians around here and all of their businesses are open on RC holy days and closed on Julian calendar holy days.

Brian37 wrote:
COME ON FOLKS,

A guy looses all his blood, suffers all organs failing, suffers brain death, has every cell in his body die, and suffers rigor mortis only to dance the jig on Sunday? How can people in our age of medical knowledge buy this crap?

I still don't understand how the guy could die on Friday afternoon, be up and running around on Sunday morning and yet he was dead for three days.

As for me, I have plans to spend the day with a bottle of fine American bourbon.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

I ask because we have lots of Greeks and Russians around here and all of their businesses are open on RC holy days and closed on Julian calendar holy days.

Not AFAIK. I am pretty sure they are not the only restaurant or fast food or other place that normally opens in the evening that remains open on these days.

We have a long tradition of regulating trading hours here, which seems to have been progressively relaxed. Once, major stores did not open on any Sunday, for example.

It seems (I just looked it up), there was an announcement at the beginning of this year. Part of it says:

Quote:

Over the Easter period (Wednesday, 31 March 2010 to Tuesday, 6 April 2010) non-exempt shops are to remain closed on Friday, 2 April 2010 and only certain areas are allowed to trade on Sunday, 4 April 2010 and Monday, 5 April 2010. Independent retail shops are required to be closed on Friday, 2 April 2010 (unless they are predominantly food and/or grocery stores).

Just to give you a flavour of the regulatory system here.

Quote:

Brian37 wrote:
COME ON FOLKS,

A guy looses all his blood, suffers all organs failing, suffers brain death, has every cell in his body die, and suffers rigor mortis only to dance the jig on Sunday? How can people in our age of medical knowledge buy this crap?

I still don't understand how the guy could die on Friday afternoon, be up and running around on Sunday morning and yet he was dead for three days.

As for me, I have plans to spend the day with a bottle of fine American bourbon.

I have always found that claim of 'three days' funny, since the actual account suggests a day-and-half at most - Friday afternoon to early Sunday morning.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Brian37 wrote:
COME ON FOLKS,

To quote Olivia Newton John

" You have to believe we are magic

Nothing can stand in our way"

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Answers in

BobSpence1 wrote:

Not AFAIK. I am pretty sure they are not the only restaurant or fast food or other place that normally opens in the evening that remains open on these days.

We have a long tradition of regulating trading hours here, which seems to have been progressively relaxed. Once, major stores did not open on any Sunday, for example.

It seems (I just looked it up), there was an announcement at the beginning of this year. Part of it says:

Quote:

Over the Easter period (Wednesday, 31 March 2010 to Tuesday, 6 April 2010) non-exempt shops are to remain closed on Friday, 2 April 2010 and only certain areas are allowed to trade on Sunday, 4 April 2010 and Monday, 5 April 2010. Independent retail shops are required to be closed on Friday, 2 April 2010 (unless they are predominantly food and/or grocery stores).

Just to give you a flavour of the regulatory system here.

Quote:

Brian37 wrote:
COME ON FOLKS,

I have always found that claim of 'three days' funny, since the actual account suggests a day-and-half at most - Friday afternoon to early Sunday morning.

One day, 3 days, I'd say lack of blood and oxygen pretty much fuck you. I'd like to see a medical explanation for this hocus pocus. A window is one thing. Absurdities are another.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
How to have a happy mom

nkbearsnk wrote:

So........ I decided to call the mom tonight. [I live in Japan(Former Catholic).....she lives in Northern Illinois(Crazy Catholic)......so talking is tough enough.]

We do the small talk and discuss the family......things like that. 

My mom and I have this conversation......

Mom: So.....you gonna watch 'The passion of the Christ tomorrow?

Me: No

Mom: Why not? You did growing up? You taking this atheist thing seriously?

Me: Well.......cause the movie sucked. I watched it once, Hated it,.......and yes......I am serious.  

Mom: (Long pause) Um.........so what you going to do tomorrow?

Me: First thing I am going down to the mall and strip naked. Then some strangers are going to use whips to tear the skin off my back. Then they are going to nail me to a cross.

Mom: What a good boy. That's the way I raised you.

Me: Umm, Mom? Could you come by around sundown? Last year they almost didn't let me down last year.

Mom: Why would you want to get down? Must be a lovely view from up there all above it all and everything.

Me: But if I stay up there I'll die.

Mom: That is the point isn't it?

Me: Not for real.

Mom: Not for real! Not for real! Didn't I teach you it was real?

Me: No, Mom. We're Jewish.

Mom: We are?! That puts a whole new light on it. No wonder I've been serving tacos all week. Here I was thinking we were Mexican.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml