Booze

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Booze

Tonight I went for.. Jameson on the rocks with a splash of coke.

What do you all drink, if at all?

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William S. Burroughs

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I mostly drink Budweiser.

I mostly drink Budweiser.  Sometimes other kinds of beer.   

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
RatDog wrote:I mostly drink

RatDog wrote:

I mostly drink Budweiser.  Sometimes other kinds of beer.   

I actually grew accustomed to Bud Light. In my 20's I went to work for my uncle, and we would periodically work in the shop. On shop days we were allowed to drink beer, but the rule was Bud-Light only in the frig. That's what the owners bought, and that's what we drank. After five years of working for that company, I don't mind Bud Light...

Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer. - William S. Burroughs

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
neptewn wrote:I don't mind

neptewn wrote:
I don't mind Bud Light...

I've never actually drank bud light before. I usually think diet things are going to be bad before I try them. I'm actually drinking Budweiser right now, which would probably explain why I'm being so talkative (or more accurately writative I guess Smiling ).     

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
v4ultingbassist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Typically orange juice and

Typically orange juice and vodka.  Since I'm still in college, it is usually the 1.75L for $15 kind of vodka... lol

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
v4ultingbassist

v4ultingbassist wrote:

Typically orange juice and vodka.  Since I'm still in college, it is usually the 1.75L for $15 kind of vodka... lol

Never much for orange Juice and Vodka, plenty of friends who liked it though. As far as Vodka drinks i usually went with Greyhounds (Grapefruit and vodka), salty dogs (Greyhound with salt on the rim), or cape cods (Cranberry and vodka). I never did aquire the taste for straight vodka.

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
neptewn wrote:I never did

neptewn wrote:

I never did aquire the taste for straight vodka.

I don't mind shots of it if it is classy, but with the shit I drink I've got to mix it.  I drink it because I don't like carbonation (I don't know why, I just don't like it) and it mixes well with juices.

kidvelvet
atheist
kidvelvet's picture
User is offlineOffline
v4ultingbassist

v4ultingbassist wrote:

neptewn wrote:

I never did aquire the taste for straight vodka.

I don't mind shots of it if it is classy, but with the shit I drink I've got to mix it.  I drink it because I don't like carbonation (I don't know why, I just don't like it) and it mixes well with juices.

I like single malt scotch (The Balvanie is one of my favorites).

Being from the Pac NW, love the micro brews, but also enjoy trappist beers.

And I dig Pinot Noir.

But tonight, just a vodka tonic did the trick.

Dolt:"Evolution is just a theory."
Me:"Yes, so is light and gravity. Pardon me while I flash this strobe while dropping a bowling ball on your head. This shouldn't bother you; after all, these are just theories."

JonathanBC
User is offlineOffline
I'd be quite curious to

I'd be quite curious to know, am I the only sake drinker here? That's what I have at home any time I want a drink.

When I'm out, and sake isn't an option, it rotates between three things. Straight Jack, no ice. Rum and coke. Black Russian. But if I'm at a restaurant or some place hard liquor isn't acceptable, I go for any porter or stout beer that I've never had before. I like new beer tasting.

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
kidvelvet wrote: I like

kidvelvet wrote:

I like single malt scotch (The Balvanie is one of my favorites).

Being from the Pac NW, love the micro brews, but also enjoy trappist beers.

And I dig Pinot Noir.

But tonight, just a vodka tonic did the trick.

I do enjoy red wine, however that typically isn't a normal drink at college parties... lol

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Appletini 

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
It depends on my Mood...

It depends on my Mood... although I love these Belgian Wheat beers... my wife is also in the liquor business... so we manage to mix it up with whatever theme is working at the moment...

I don't have many talents... but I am gifted with Rum...

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whiskey and water. don't

Whiskey and water. don't matter what whiskey or what water. I don't drink beer anymore, its a waste of money, taste quite good but you get drunker on plain old water quicker and its cheaper. Besides there are better tasting drinks than beer. but i have Stroh 80 for when I need to wake my taste buds up.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Generally a good single

Generally a good single bourbon over here. Straight up only although it is permissible to have spring water on the side if it is barrel proof. Once in a while, I do like to have something different like a nice imported rum or a vodka. Still, it is always straight as that is how the distillery intended it to be.

v4ultingbassist wrote:
Typically orange juice and vodka. Since I'm still in college, it is usually the 1.75L for $15 kind of vodka... lol

There are some good potato vodkas that you can get into for around $18~$20 for the 1.75L size. One that I find to be nice is Luksosva from the Polmos distillery in Poland. You can drink that straight, unlike the rocket fuel that you are used to.

BTW, speaking of rocket fuel, I have a story on that.

One time, I was drinking the stuff (Smirnoff 100 proof if memory serves) with lots of OJ and I brought a bottle with me when a bunch of us got together out in the sticks for a weekend of paintball. The usual routine is that three or four of us arrive first late on Friday night and I had brought the only hooch. So we were mixing it with tap water and making the usual rocket fuel jokes.

After a couple of hours, another car load of people arrived, one of whom builds missiles at Picatinny arsenal. I forget who handed him a straight shot of the stuff but he knocked it back and called out “That tastes like Hydrazine!”. Yes, someone who works with rocket fuel even named the specific variety of same.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

rdklep8
atheistScience FreakSuperfan
rdklep8's picture
User is offlineOffline
If it's vodka we're talking

If it's vodka we're talking about I prefer tonic or orange juice-- I too am in college

I am more of a beer drinker though.  Due to my bank account hovering slightly above zero, I am regulated to crappy 30 packs.  However, when I have a few bucks to spend I really enjoy microbrew.  Flying Dog Pale Ale, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Magic Hat (I like most of them but Circus Boy is my favorite), Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA, and any Long Trail brew are tops on my list.

I have developed a taste for scotch of late, due to my dad's insistence that I should love it. (I kind of do now)

I like red wine with dinner.

Sadly, I will be attending a party tonight the only alcoholic beverages in my fridge are Natural light and a bottle of Dubra-- the possibilities are endless

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dark beer and cigarettes

I also like mixing food and wine.

Waiting for Oblivion
Waiting for Oblivion's picture
User is offlineOffline
usually vodka with pineapple

usually vodka with pineapple juice

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Guinness is the usual beer I

Guinness is the usual beer I drink, if I am in British Columbia its kokanee, Canadian if no one has a guinness. Wine I drink what ever is available, as for hard liquor, usually Rye and seven or tequila straight (no lemon or salt, that's for the tourists or when your drinking cheap ass tequila) or vodka martini (properly made with white vermouth)

rdklep8
atheistScience FreakSuperfan
rdklep8's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:Guinness

latincanuck wrote:

Guinness is the usual beer I drink, if I am in British Columbia its kokanee, Canadian if no one has a guinness. Wine I drink what ever is available, as for hard liquor, usually Rye and seven or tequila straight (no lemon or salt, that's for the tourists or when your drinking cheap ass tequila) or vodka martini (properly made with white vermouth)

If you like guinness.. might I suggest 1/2 Magic Hat #9 and 1/2 Guinness for the most delicious Black & Tan I've ever had.  It's called a Black Magic.. it is my St Patty's day drink of choice

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Magic hat rules... although

Magic hat rules... although I prefer the Circus Boy to the #9...still, I could pour either one into my corn flakes and be very happy

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
going to have to try that

going to have to try that one day...maybe St. Paddy's day if Failte has it...well I know they got guinness for sure. Hey anyone in the GTA area wanna meet up for St. Paddy's day at Failte? Or any day that weekend, The Kitchen Party is playing (awesome east coast musicians.....and the fiddler is my former boss, but still and amazing player) a great night of drinking, dancing and well drinking and dancing what else do ya need?

neptewn
neptewn's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:Guinness

latincanuck wrote:

I jumped ship from vodka to gin martini's (Gin, dry vermouth, and a little bitters). There is a steak house up the street from me, they makes the best martinis with olives stuffed with bluecheese. It's just so wrong how good they are.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
To try eh?

latincanuck wrote:

going to have to try that one day...maybe St. Paddy's day if Failte has it...well I know they got guinness for sure. Hey anyone in the GTA area wanna meet up for St. Paddy's day at Failte? Or any day that weekend, The Kitchen Party is playing (awesome east coast musicians.....and the fiddler is my former boss, but still and amazing player) a great night of drinking, dancing and well drinking and dancing what else do ya need?

If I can find where Failte is,   Theres' Also Scruffys' at   #10  & Eglington or the Galway Arms on The Queensway.  Since St Pat's day is on a Wendsday this year Latincanuck you must be planning one looooong wet weekend.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Mr. XC
High Level DonorSpecial AgentWebsite AdminPlatinum Member
User is offlineOffline
Locally brewed beer for the win

I would not drink beer if it were not for a local bar & brewery that served real beer.  Budweiser tastes like beer flavored water to me.  The best of the bottled beer that I have tasted is Magic Hat, but I still would not drink it unless I wanted to be social.

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. ..." -- Thomas Jefferson

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
beer and wine

Not much of a hard drinker, not even in my younger wilder days.  If you insist, a little glass of Tuaca.  Savor it as it is better than brandy.

Beer - one of the micros (Drop Top (Widmer Bros),  Alaskan, Pyramid, RedHook, McMenamins, Deschutes, etc) or Guinness is great.  But the absolute best is Kilt Lifter by Pike Place Brewery which is a true microbrewery based in Seattle.  When I can get it.  Their Naughty Nellie is a nice red and the Pike Place Ale is a strong brown ale.  The Kilt Lifter is very - well, the name says it all.

Wine - we like the Italians and Trader Joe's has them.  This year they have 2006 Nerello Di Bastardo - a red - at $5.99 a bottle and it is lovely with almost anything - chicken, pasta, beef, vegetarian - but not fish.  Which is my truly less than expert opinion.  No, it is NOT a Chianti.

Since I can't afford much any more, and the old bod just won't take the abuse anymore, I drink a little with dinner and I have become very picky.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:latincanuck

Jeffrick wrote:

latincanuck wrote:

If I can find where Failte is,   Theres' Also Scruffys' at   #10  & Eglington or the Galway Arms on The Queensway.  Since St Pat's day is on a Wendsday this year Latincanuck you must be planning one looooong wet weekend.

Failte is on the Burnhamthorpe side of SQ 1 where the old don cherry's use to be, one building over from the Tim Horton's there.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Latincanuck

I know that place now that you've jogged my memory.  Easy walking distence ( if I weren't so damn lazy).  Now what time you going to be there? My time is easy.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

I know that place now that you've jogged my memory.  Easy walking distence ( if I weren't so damn lazy).  Now what time you going to be there? My time is easy.

Depends on the day, St. Paddy's I plan on being there around 8 to I can be in there for 10ish.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
This just proves believers

This just proves believers are right, otherwise why would we consume "spirits"?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

jjdynomite
jjdynomite's picture
User is offlineOffline
The best beer in the world

The best beer in the world is free beer. But if I am buying I usually go with the Red Stripe.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Guinness, Newcastle, any

Guinness, Newcastle, any cheap Cabernet, scotch, amaretto, and Jaggermeister.

Earlier today I bought a bottle of American Turkey. I was skeptical, but it is pretty drinkable. I once got a bottle of hot cinnamon wiskey at bevmo. That stuff was great, but I haven't seen a bottle of it anywhere else.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India