Greetings, all

DormantDragon
DormantDragon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Greetings, all

Hi, everyone

This being my very first post to a new forum, here's a bit of background about me.

I grew up Catholic, went to Catholic schools, and was quite committed to the whole religion thing. In fact, I don't think it ever occurred to me back then that there could be a whole world of freethinking out there waiting to be explored.

I was, however, raised to value knowledge, and this mindset was given sustenance by my history teacher in high school, whose brilliant mind and rapier wit were a huge source of inspiration and motivation to me to learn and understand everything I could.

So the seeds of freethinking were planted early, but they didn't really come to fruition until I left home at 18. What followed was a long journey of discovery and mind expansion (no, not the Flower Power kind!) until now, some 15 years on, I can confidently declare my atheism to all and sundry, argue its case in public forums, and live my life according to my own tried and tested values and ethics, not those imposed on me by any organised religion.

So that's me.

Looking forward to many happy hours of reading and discussion!

"The misfortune of the wise is better than the prosperity of the fool." - Epicurus

Peppermint42
atheistSuperfan
Peppermint42's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi there!  You and I share

Hi there!  You and I share similar stories, as well as plenty of other atheists here.  Growing up with religion but realizing through life experience and the power of rational thought that it's not true.  Like kids learning there's no Santa Claus...

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
No "flower power" means that

No "flower power" means that there's no sex or drugs in the story right?

DormantDragon
DormantDragon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Close...

Gauche wrote:

No "flower power" means that there's no sex or drugs in the story right?

No psychedelic drugs, anyway...

After all, what's the point in giving up Christianity if you can't have a little fun, right?

"The misfortune of the wise is better than the prosperity of the fool." - Epicurus

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
DormantDragon wrote:No

DormantDragon wrote:

No psychedelic drugs, anyway...

After all, what's the point in giving up Christianity if you can't have a little fun, right?

I don't know. I didn't believe in Christianity before.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft