Dubito Ergo Cogito

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dubito Ergo Cogito

When people quote Descartes' famous "I think, therefore I am" (Cogito Ergo Sum), they are usually meaning to say something about how the art of thinking is a fundamental human quality that, for better or worse, has made us what we are today, as a species. However, they almost always - conveniently - leave out the first sentence of the quote, thereby taking it out of context.

The full quote states: Dubito Ergo Cogito. Cogito Ergo Sum. (I doubt, therefore I think. I think, therfore I am.)

I doubt, therefore I think.

If I had no doubt, I wouldn't have to think, would I? I'm not saying that I doubt the bloody obvious, such as a sophist may do with clever questions about the essential nature of existence and how we cannot know anything for certain, but I do doubt my own ability to understand the nature of reality. This leads me to ask questions about fascinating subjects, such as cosmology and quantum mechanics. But I do not try to "believe" either this or that way about it. I am quite happy to just observe how scientists are struggling with what may argably be the high end of all human thinking. I like it. Asking questions keeps me on my toes. Studying things I don't understand makes me less complacent in the way I relate to the world I'm living in.

In many ways, I suppose that having a "faith" of sorts would make me feel more "safe" and important before the vastness of space and the conundrums of subatomic particle behaviour, but I really don't think it would make me a better human being. It seems like cheating, almost sacrilege, to jump to comfortable conclusions such as "beliefs" when in fact I am destined to be alive, as a human being, in this mysterious world such as it is, equipped with the ability to ask questions and investigate matters of a philosophical nature.

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

http://www.kinkspace.com

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good read.

Good read. Smiling

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good points.It's funny, some

Good points.

It's funny, some Theists claim they have no doubts, others insist they 'test' or question their 'faith' all the time.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Marquis
atheist
Marquis's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:claim they

BobSpence1 wrote:

claim they have no doubts 

I find people who, for any reason, claim to have "no doubts" a little scary. Like borderline psychopaths.

"The idea of God is the sole wrong for which I cannot forgive mankind." (Alphonse Donatien De Sade)

http://www.kinkspace.com