Atheist signs around for christmas

SapphireMind
SapphireMind's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheist signs around for christmas

My local news station covered this "controversy" with all the outraged christians from Las Vegas about the atheistic billboards placed around the city.  http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/02/us/02atheist.html

At least in my area of the country, especially in the farm areas outside the cities, there are plenty of billboards featuring religious messages.  My feeling is what's good for the goose is good for the gander - in that if you want to post a billboard telling me I'm going to hell, I should be free to post a billboard saying you're not and there is no hell. 

How do the theists here view this?  Atheists?  Is it disrespectful to target it during the holiday season?  Is it better that it is christmas as opposed to easter (a more important christian holiday)?

Or does everyone agree with me (as well they should!) :D 

"Shepherd Book once said to me, 'If you can't do something smart, do something right.'" - Jayne

Personally subverting biological evolution in favor of social evolution every night I go to work!

Peppermint42
atheistSuperfan
Peppermint42's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think it's good that

I think it's good that someone is willing to put up a sign like that at least for non-believers' sakes.  It's kind of lonely when everyone you know is Xtian and celebrating and saying prayers and singing hymns... 

Indeterminate
User is offlineOffline
It's not our holiday. It's

It's not our holiday. It's not theirs either, early christians pinched it from the pagans. No reason to consider it disrespectful on account of the time of year.

God: "Thou Must Go from This Place Lest I Visit Thee with Boils!"
Man: "Really? Most people would bring a bottle of wine"

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
I already started a thread

I already started a thread about this "Fear and Fundies in Las Vegas.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Deadly Fingergun
atheist
Deadly Fingergun's picture
User is offlineOffline
A society that respects the

A society that respects the free and open exchange of ideas is a healthy society.

Given the reaction of the woman in the video posted by Brian - where she admitted she would destroy private property to repress an opposing idea - this society needs a little Obamacare.

Big E wrote:
Clown
Why, yes, I am!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Headline news, at least for

Headline news, at least for now, has cut out the woman saying she would take it down, and only included the part where she said she didn't like it. VERY dishonest. Makes me wonder who is in charge of editing there.

KUDOS however, to the local station for putting the full quote in.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah fuck 'em

The christians stole our holiday and it's only right we take it back. If Easter is Christian Central then at the very least Christmas is Town Hall - it's the perfect time to tell christians they

are full of shit. I'm going to start with my mother....we always have excellent god fights on christmas day.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck