Man Shits Self to Death For Jesus

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
Man Shits Self to Death For Jesus

Quote:
COLUMBIA, South Carolina (NBC) -- Believing his faith would heal him, a Greenwood County, South Carolina man sat down in his recliner after an injury in March and never got up. On Thursday, his wife explained why he stayed in the recliner until shortly before he died. "The man totally believed in God and his healing," said Ada Webb. In March, Webb's 550-pound husband, Tillmon, sat down in a recliner inside their trailer in Greenwood. Wearing nothing but a blanket, the 33-year-old didn't move from that recliner for the next eight months.

SOURCE

To be fair to Pineapple, I should also include this quote. "They were gonna give him an appointment, but they wanted $300 up front, and we didn't have the money," said Webb."

So, instead of, you know... taking a collection from church, or calling family members to ask for help, or going to a free clinic, or the emergency room, or SOMETHING... he sat in his chair for eight months, read the Bible, prayed for healing, and told everybody about how wonderful Jesus was for the healing he was going to receive.

But this is not an example of faith causing people to do irrational things.  Had he been a rationalist and an atheist, he would have sat in his chair for eight months telling everybody that his ankle was going to magically heal itself.  It was completely about three hundred dollars.  No influence from faith at all.  He would have done exactly the same thing in any case.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10146
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Wow. Just wow. That's so

Wow. Just wow.

That's so nasty. Another one for the Darwin awards. How ironic that he figured he could use his being healed to testify on behalf of god. Instead the absence of said god was the demonstration given.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3123
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
But you can still see the

But you can still see the face of Jesus in one of the dried up terds. So he still got his miracle.


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
http://weeklyworldnews.com/he

http://weeklyworldnews.com/headlines/13823/tillmon-webb/

 

Quote:

His wife also claimed Webb didn’t ask officials for help, because he was ashamed of his state and did not have health insurance. The former preacher posted sermons online daily but was resigned to his fate. He apparently wanted help with his weight, but Webb and Ada had no way of getting him to anyone.

 

 

 

[edit]

 

Actually, to make things clear, not it wasn't and isn't my position that faith has no effects on people and that a person in the same situation that was rational would have done the same thing.

 

What I am getting at is that some people are just plain irrational. That's a fact. You can train and train somebody to be a rationalist atheist but no avail. Atheism does not guarentee rationalism, and some will just plain fight rationalism every step of the way. [see astrology homeopathy etc...]

 

 

 

[/edit]

 

 

 

 


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
Oh and to make it clear, I'm

Oh and to make it clear, I'm not saying faith had nothing to do with this.

 

 

 

 


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5802
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Everyone who helps spread

Everyone who helps spread the 'meme' that faith works, including the idiot who said even if it is "as small as a mustard seed", shares blame for this.

 

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5070
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Some one help me here

 

This guy could afford to eat his way to 550 pounds but could not afford to go to the doctor?

How much do you have to chaw through each day to stay 550 pounds...

 

 

 

 Ed: Meaning

 

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


stuntgibbon
Moderator
stuntgibbon's picture
Posts: 696
Joined: 2007-05-17
User is offlineOffline
 One lesson is ... have

 One lesson is ... have money.


The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
Posts: 2148
Joined: 2007-08-31
User is offlineOffline
... 8 months? WOW... that

... 8 months? WOW... that must have been one muthafuckin comfy chair!


stuntgibbon
Moderator
stuntgibbon's picture
Posts: 696
Joined: 2007-05-17
User is offlineOffline
 I think it's a

 I think it's a pant-warming story.


stuntgibbon
Moderator
stuntgibbon's picture
Posts: 696
Joined: 2007-05-17
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:... 8

The Doomed Soul wrote:

... 8 months? WOW... that must have been one muthafuckin comfy chair!

 

Spanish Inquisition... Comfy chair...  it all adds up


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
I dont know who is more

I dont know who is more insane him or his wife, i'd say they are equally retarded.


ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
Posts: 2265
Joined: 2009-03-26
User is offlineOffline
:3

Anyone that listened to this guy should of figured he was just full of it.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7522
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:What I

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

What I am getting at is that some people are just plain irrational. That's a fact. You can train and train somebody to be a rationalist atheist but no avail. Atheism does not guarentee rationalism, and some will just plain fight rationalism every step of the way.

Yeah, we get that.  I have said many times that atheism doesn't equal rationality. We need to learn how to utilize our intelligence better, doing so will not leave room for beliefs like religion, astrology, or anything involving sitting in a chair for 8 months. 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Yeah, we get that. 

 

Quote:
Yeah, we get that.  I have said many times that atheism doesn't equal rationality. We need to learn how to utilize our intelligence better, doing so will not leave room for beliefs like religion, astrology, or anything involving sitting in a chair for 8 months.

Which is why I always stress that atheism isn't a starting point for me.  It's the conclusion that makes the most sense when I begin with rationalism.  Atheism is a conclusion.  

For some reason, Pineapple has a problem with the concept that teaching, encouraging, and literally glorifying rationalism wouldn't improve the human condition.  I find that baffling, and sadly defeatist.  Rationalism is worth glorifying.  It does glorious things!  People make the correct decisions based on the evidence, and not emotional woo-woo.

Or... maybe she hasn't thought of it this way.  She keeps talking about what to "replace religion" with, and I wonder if it's occurred to her that faith is a worldview, not a practice.  Replacing faith with rationalism leaves plenty of room for potluck dinners, social clubs, and all the psychological supports that keep people emotionally involved with the practice of religion.  It's just that nobody has to pray before meals, and gee... we can let the gays get married.

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Which is

Hambydammit wrote:

Which is why I always stress that atheism isn't a starting point for me.  It's the conclusion that makes the most sense when I begin with rationalism.  Atheism is a conclusion.  

For some reason, Pineapple has a problem with the concept that teaching, encouraging, and literally glorifying rationalism wouldn't improve the human condition.  I find that baffling, and sadly defeatist.  Rationalism is worth glorifying.  It does glorious things!  People make the correct decisions based on the evidence, and not emotional woo-woo.

 

 

I never said don't teach/encourage rational thinking. I'm just saying, don't expect it to stop people from doing stupid things. About what 56% of Europeans believe in God? Well, 41% think astrology is science and 33% think homeopathy is science. For the record, the former is on the the decline in many places, while the latter along with other New age woo woo is on the raise.

 

Was the results of the Asch line experiment the way they were because we didn't properly teach people to compare lengths of lines?

 

 

Hambydammit wrote:

 

Or... maybe she hasn't thought of it this way.  She keeps talking about what to "replace religion" with, and I wonder if it's occurred to her that faith is a worldview, not a practice.  Replacing faith with rationalism leaves plenty of room for potluck dinners, social clubs, and all the psychological supports that keep people emotionally involved with the practice of religion.  It's just that nobody has to pray before meals, and gee... we can let the gays get married.

 

 

Considering that coaltition is a positive predictor of intolerance/violence condoning and scapegoating, you have fun with that.