Jesus Gay Discrimination Billboards

BB4_intellect
atheist
BB4_intellect's picture
Posts: 33
Joined: 2008-05-18
User is offlineOffline
Jesus Gay Discrimination Billboards

So, these are currently on billboards along a major highway here in north Texas, and are sparking a lot of controversy. And as I am a lesbian and an atheist, am absolutely thrilled by them!

What's YOUR opinion?


Stosis
Posts: 327
Joined: 2008-10-21
User is offlineOffline
That's awesome!

That's awesome!


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3945
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
I'm not trying to be a dick,

I'm not trying to be a dick, here is the first excerpt:

Bible wrote:
I grieve for you, Jonathon my brother; you were very dear to me. Your love for me was wonderful, more wonderful than that of women. 2 Samuel 1:26

This is pretty ambiguous. David could simply be using the comparison to describe how much they loved each another. I don't think it's necessarily referring to homosexuality.

And:

Bible wrote:
1When Jesus had finished saying these things, he left Galilee and went into the region of Judea to the other side of the Jordan. 2Large crowds followed him, and he healed them there.

3Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?"

4"Haven't you read, " he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,' 5and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'? 6So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

7"Why then," they asked, "did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?"

8Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. 9I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."

10The disciples said to him, "If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry." 

11Jesus replied, "Not everyone can accept this word, but only tose to whom it has been given. 12For some are eunuchs because they were born that way; others were made that way by men; and others have renounced marriage because of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it." Matthew 19:1-12

I don't see where Jesus said that some people are born homosexuals.

They're talking about divorce. Jesus is saying that people who can marry should marry. Among the list of people who can't accept marriage, according to Jesus, are eunuchs. As far as I know, eunuchs are people who have had their, um, "prized possession," removed, not homosexuals.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4197
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
of course these passages are

of course these passages are ambiguous, like most biblical passages, but i think these signs make a valid point that the weapons of biblical interpretation that the church and the synagogue have used against the rest of the world for so long can be used against them as well, that the whole bible need not stand unified on the issue, which most practicing jews and christians would insist it does.

of course, the delivery isn't very subtle, but they're aimed at every yokel motorist on his or her way to work.  at least it might make them think.  or piss them off, which in my opinion is just as valuable.  the fact that atheists/homosexuals, etc., are moving in on the religious billboard craze with impunity is a victory in and of itself.  when i go from kentucky to tennessee, i have shit like HELL IS REAL staring me in the face everytime.  turnabout is fair play.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Heh. All's fair in

Heh. All's fair in interpreting scripture.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


BB4_intellect
atheist
BB4_intellect's picture
Posts: 33
Joined: 2008-05-18
User is offlineOffline
The other thing Christians

The other thing Christians never consider is how many DIFFERENT versions and translations there are of the Bible, and they have all been written and translated by HUMANS with their own opinions and agendas. And this is why so many of us on here are completely unwilling to submit to such a ridiculously ambiguous doctrine.


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
  I can get behind the

  I can get behind the message of tolerance  but sheesh,  how can Christianity, one of the most homophobic religions ( after Islam ) be used to promote their message ?  It's like racial minorities embracing the Klan to advocate civil rights.  Whatever.

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


Stosis
Posts: 327
Joined: 2008-10-21
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:  I

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

  I can get behind the message of tolerance  but sheesh,  how can Christianity, one of the most homophobic religions ( after Islam ) be used to promote their message ?  It's like racial minorities embracing the Klan to advocate civil rights.  Whatever.

Well, christianity is more wide spread and accepted than the Klan but I get your point. I don't really care what is used to solve the problem. ClockCat posted a very disturbing story in another thread. One that is so extreme and apparently so common that I think it justifies lieing. Actually I think it justifies military intervention like in the 60's race riots but that might be because I'm sensible and not American.


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4197
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:It's

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

It's like racial minorities embracing the Klan to advocate civil rights. 

well, that's precisely what the nation of islam did at one time.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:ProzacDeathWish

iwbiek wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

It's like racial minorities embracing the Klan to advocate civil rights. 

well, that's precisely what the nation of islam did at one time.

    That sounds bizarre enough to be true.  What united their respective racist causes, their shared hatred of Jews ?  ( link ? )

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4197
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:iwbiek

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

It's like racial minorities embracing the Klan to advocate civil rights. 

well, that's precisely what the nation of islam did at one time.

    That sounds bizarre enough to be true.  What united their respective racist causes, their shared hatred of Jews ?  ( link ? )

maybe, but mostly it was their mutual desire for segregation, albeit with different motivations.  sorry, i don't have a link, as i'm still one of the few people on earth whose primary source of information is books.  i suggest claude andrew clegg's an original man: the life and times of elijah muhammad or karl evanzz's the messenger: the rise and fall of elijah muhammad.  both give pretty thorough treatments of the subject.  other than that, google it.  it's pretty common, accessible knowledge.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Okay, thanks.

Okay, thanks.


theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
Posts: 227
Joined: 2009-07-12
User is offlineOffline
BB4_intellect wrote:The

BB4_intellect wrote:

The other thing Christians never consider is how many DIFFERENT versions and translations there are of the Bible...

Fuck that, how about all those christians that never considered that there are actual words in the bible! Fucking words, that you got to have a dictionary or grade school teacher around to interpret for you.

A man told us the other day that he was gay, and we argued if he was just saying he was happy, or just queer. 

 

 


HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
Posts: 4100
Joined: 2008-02-21
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Heh. All's fair

Vastet wrote:
Heh. All's fair in interpreting scripture.

Bingo.