Revealing the thread: 'Atheists hit a new low'

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline
Revealing the thread: 'Atheists hit a new low'

For those of you that are interested in the finer points of debating philosophical, political, religious, and various other arguments, it's a good idea to understand the exact nature of the "arguments" you're reading.

Hence, the TRUE REASON for the intent of this thread is about to be revealed!

Assume you're given the following two choices by which to classify the argument I put foward in the OP of my thread "Atheists hit a new low."

Is the argument a simplistic example of:
A) casuistry,
OR
B) sophistry?

Which of the two above choices would most accurately describe the nature of the argument???

Feel free to explain why you would chose A over B, or visa versa.

The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
The Flying Spaghetti Monster's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree about the villains.

I agree about the villains. I've always been a  Star Trek fan growing up (next generation), but the villains have been pretty lame. The problem, is they'll present themselves as being worthy foes but then they'll get smacked down so fast and so hard (sometimes within the same episode) that they lose whatever impressive appeal they had. The Borg were probably my favorite, but after the Enterprise got almost destroyed a few times but miraculously came up on top...it's like "next?" After the Captain becomes one you get the feeling he has a huge advantage from that point on...because he does. Boring. The Romulans and Klingons are pretty much the only ones with the potential of being nemesis', but having a klingon as one of your high-ranking, regular cast members (like wharf), you always get the feeling like everything will be ok. Especially when he seems more of a badass than their entire army. Romulans are just not interesting bad guys...

Now with Star Wars, even though I love the movies and I do like the story, I always thought it was a little goofy and cliche. Something about George Lucas makes me take it less seriously, BUT...the villains are on an entirely different playing field. If you look at the "Empire," you're talking about David vs Goliath. A rebellious, oppressed army fighting against a galatical stronghold with the capabilities of blowing up a planet with one shot, definitely draws in a person's interest. We love underdog stories. Now, if you look at the Sith it's even cooler because Jedi's are so fucking cool. First of all, they can manipulate the "force," have "Light sabers," and display an actual "evil" that separates themselves from your average star trek bad guy. Secondly, it's  more evenly matched. It's like opposite sides of the same spectrum trying to overcome the other in a balancing act.  In fact, since Darth Vader pretty much takes over everything and kills off most of the Jedi's, you get the impression that the Sith are more powerful. You never really see this much struggle on Star Trek. MAYBE in an episode, but not as an ongoing vendetta.

I think probably my favorite collection of villains came from SG-1 (Stargate). The show obviously doesn't have a large enough audience or production value to compete with Star Wars or Star Trek, but they did a good job continuing the story line on their foes and made some of them pretty interesting. There's 5-6 main villains that pop in and out of the series, but I think the most interesting are the Goa'uld which go allllllllllllll the way back to the original Star Gate movie, and the Replicators.

The Goa'uld are sort of like the Borg in how they assimilate others into their collective, but they're also extremely power hungry, which makes them seem less mechanical than the borg who sadly, look like they're just occupying their time productively. Replicators are extremely badass. They're basically machines that replicate more of themselves by destroying your ship or anything else you possess. The more advanced your parts are, they more advanced they are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replicator_(Stargate)

Anyway, that's enough rambling ;o

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's hard to break out of

It's hard to break out of one dimension when you're writing a villain or group of villains, though.  Giving the audience permission to hate somebody means that you've got to obscure their side of the issue contested or just make them pathologically petty or jealous or paranoid.  To take Star Wars as an example, the Emperor, the one serious bad guy in the whole serial, basically gets an insanity plea for being controlled by the Dark Side (that is to say, evil space mitochondria).  If we're looking at the Star Trek villains, you get the message that they're all ridiculously territorial and aggressive and authoritarian, which makes it remarkable that they didn't kill themselves in nuclear wars before getting to space.  The Borg are more like a bacterial culture spreading across the agar plate of the galaxy, and since we feel no shame in treating pneumonia, why should we have any compunction about ridding ourselves of the Borg? 

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote: The Borg are more

Quote:
 The Borg are more like a bacterial culture spreading across the agar plate of the galaxy, and since we feel no shame in treating pneumonia, why should we have any compunction about ridding ourselves of the Borg?

I pretty much gave up on ST after the Hugh episode.  If that's what humanity is, then they don't deserve to survive.

Quote:
It's hard to break out of one dimension when you're writing a villain or group of villains, though.

Exactly.  Villains require a serious us-them dichotomy, and when you're getting into space stuff, you run into the problem of them being human.  If you look at the most famous ST villain -- Khan, you see a madman.  Yes, he's human, but he's got super strength, and his mind isn't truly human.  But.. by making him crazy, you're pigeon holing yourself.  You can't make your villain both human and despicably evil because humans just aren't despicably evil unless they're truly insane.

In Starship Troopers, it was easy to hate the bugs because they're so foreign, but even in that movie, you run into the problem of the bugs having a "right" to live their own lives.  (Yeah, that was a main point, but it still illustrates the point.)

The devil, in his various guises, has always made a compelling villain, but it only works once.  In the old BSG, there was an episode where Mephistopheles (wasn't that who it was?) made an appearance.  It was a great episode, but once you know he's the devil, he has no more power... so... that's that.

The best villains, in my opinion, are people who aren't really evil.  (Come to think of it, villain creation pretty much refutes the notion of evil as a real quality.)  It's really compelling when you can actually empathize with the enemy.  You know they need to be destroyed, but it hurts you to do so because you know they could be good.  This is probably why Darth Vader has been such a dominating figure.  Sure, he's a villain, but when you learn the whole story, you empathize with him.  He just wanted to save his wife and mother.  Christ... all of us can empathize with that.  He lived in a confusing political climate where it was never clear who was good and who was evil.  On the one hand, Senator Palpatine is telling him the Jedi are overstepping their bounds and trying to wrest power from the Senate.  On the other hand, you have the Jedi, who claim there's a super-secret evil somewhere in the senate.  (Makes perfect sense if they're trying to overthrow the government.  Invent an invisible enemy!)

Anyway, we all know the story.  The point is, he's compelling because he is more powerful than smart, and it's hard to fault him for that.

Quote:
To take Star Wars as an example, the Emperor, the one serious bad guy in the whole serial, basically gets an insanity plea for being controlled by the Dark Side (that is to say, evil space mitochondria).

And presumably, since Vader was able to wrest himself from the control of the evil mitochlorians, there might have been hope for the emperor as well.

So... the real question... are there bad mitochlorians and good mitochlorians?  Or... are they neutral, amplifying whatever they are fed by their... um... host?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote: latincanuck

treat2 wrote:
latincanuck wrote:

B) because you never presented really why it's ethically wrong to ask for money for a service provided, in this case the maintance of the server and this website/forum. But really you didn't make much of a point in your "arugment" because at no point did you provide an alternate means to bring in cash flow to maintain this website/forum. So I am going to have to say it was pretty pointless and stupid. Other than bitching about something and looking really stupid by trying to say asking for money is the same religions....well no it's not. You didn't even come close to connecting the two.

Independent thought is what you despise. No wonder you believe your infantile loyalty to ignorant masses is defensible.

What independent thought did you bring to the table? Nothing, all you did was bitch without giving a proper alternative means to bring in money to maintain this site. Wow you love to project alot.

If you gonna be this arrogant at least be able to be arrogant with a point and ability to provide alternate means to bring in cash, otherwise you look like a whiny bitch.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Damn it Latin... every one

Damn it Latin... every one else was all happy derailing a troll thread, and you HAD to come in and commence with feeding time -_-

What Would Kharn Do?

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:  

Hambydammit wrote:

The devil, in his various guises, has always made a compelling villain, but it only works once. In the old BSG, there was an episode where Mephistopheles (wasn't that who it was?) made an appearance. It was a great episode, but once you know he's the devil, he has no more power... so... that's that.

Are you referring to the character “Count Iblis” played by Patrick Macnee by chance? That was the two part episode “War of the gods”

Regarding Star Wars, I think that it tends to get a huge pass due to the fact that there were only the six movies. Had Lucas attempted more, he would have broken his characters sooner or later. Hell but episode 1 was just a bad movie. If you look around the internet, you can find a version where somone deleted Jar Jar Binks from the whole thing and it still makes as much sense without one of the main characters.

One of the things that makes for a satisfying enemy, in my book, is knowing not to over use them. A good case in point is Far Scape. Certain enemy characters were used very sparingly and others were used until they were rendered into formulaic parodies of themselves. Once Chricton gains contorl over Harvey, the whole Scorpius character is pretty much shot, even though the producers kept using him as an enemy right up to the end.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Are you referring to

Quote:
Are you referring to the character “Count Iblis” played by Patrick Macnee by chance? That was the two part episode “War of the gods”

Nerd points to you.  That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Regarding Star Wars, I think that it tends to get a huge pass due to the fact that there were only the six movies. Had Lucas attempted more, he would have broken his characters sooner or later.

Well, to his credit (and you won't hear me say that about Lucas very often) he had the good sense to kill his villains.  After the prequels, the Emperor had six full movies of being the big bad guy.  That's about all you get out of a good villain, and honestly, the Emperor was a very good villain in the original trilogy.  Only hinted at in Empire, the true power of the Emperor is only revealed in the climactic conclusion.  That's good writing.  Let the suspense build.  People fear what they don't know, and the less you know about the villain, the more you dread his appearance.

While it's interesting to see Palpatine's rise to power in the prequels, it's not compelling enough to make into a movie.  I could go the rest of my life and never see that stupid kid who played Anakin again.  He was terrible, and that stupid 40 minute detour into pod-race land was one of the biggest wastes of time in my life.  Jar Jar was completely extraneous.  Actually, when it comes down to it, you could have about 20 minutes of grabbing Annakin as a boy, another hour about young Annakin the apprentice, and maybe 30 minutes of his decent to the dark side, and you'd have a single, coherent movie instead of three full length diversions.

Quote:
Regarding Star Wars, I think that it tends to get a huge pass due to the fact that there were only the six movies. Had Lucas attempted more, he would have broken his characters sooner or later.

I haven't seen Farscape, but I agree with you.

Actually, it works in horror movies, too.  One of the reasons the Exorcist was such a successful horror film was that most of the scariness was in your head until she started turning her head around and spitting pea soup.

Back in the day when I used to play Dungeons and Dragons, I always felt the key to creating a good villain was having them demonstrate their power from afar while remaining mysterious, elusive, and seemingly in total control.  

That's pretty much what Star Wars did.  You don't meet the Emperor in his full power until the very end.  Granted, there were a LOT of holes, and I have a lot of issues with the plot line in general, but that particular device is used effectively.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:Damn

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Damn it Latin... every one else was all happy derailing a troll thread, and you HAD to come in and commence with feeding time -_-

Damn it see what happens when I don't pay attention...sorry guys Sticking out tongue Might as well be part of the collective anyways.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:   I

Hambydammit wrote:

I could go the rest of my life and never see that stupid kid who played Anakin again.  He was terrible, and that stupid 40 minute detour into pod-race land was one of the biggest wastes of time in my life.  Jar Jar was completely extraneous.  Actually, when it comes down to it, you could have about 20 minutes of grabbing Annakin as a boy, another hour about young Annakin the apprentice, and maybe 30 minutes of his decent to the dark side, and you'd have a single, coherent movie instead of three full length diversions.

I don't think the kid was terrible, I think the scene he had to play were freaking way to long for the character that he plays, why waste most of the movie on the pod race part? It was a like a very long filler, and really didn't add anything to the plot or the movie itself, I mean they could have condensed that so much more and just given us the knowledge that anakin was very much technically minded, without going so much into it. After the phantom menance I watched the other 2 movies at home, and only when someone gave them to me, I wouldn't spend the money to rent them.

However Lucas used the whole villan behind the scene very well in the first three movies he put out. As have many directors, Hitchcock was great at that, Momento was another movie that kepted you in suspense never really knowing who the real villan is until the end, and even then your not truely sure. The usual suspects used that conecpt very well. If done properly it can be a great movie experience.

However Lucas for me just lost it with the CGI characters, and it bombed, I think the whole new series felt very artificial, where the first star wars movies had a better feel to it, I guess because the actors interacted with their scenery far better than what was done in Episodes 1, 2 and 3. The actors never looked natural in the settings.

The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
I guess this is horribly off

I guess this is horribly off topic now, but here's my favorite villains ;o

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ahahaha.... skar.... ahahaha

edit; Ok... ok, i admit, for a DISNEY villian... he was a bastard

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
D:

Pinhead is scary.

Seriously, watching him pull one of those things out makes me squirm.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
One more thing to say about

One more thing to say about Star Wars and villains; I'm sure there a couple of folks here who read the Grand Admiral Thrawn books--now he was a decent villain.  No Jedi powers, no desire to build a planet cracker, just cold, ruthless strategy applied against the factions of the New Republic.  If you aren't familiar, he was a blue-skinned alien of some sort who kept getting busted down in rank because he would actually tell Emperor things like "you don't need a Death Star" and "don't install a thermal exhaust port on your Death Star".  After the Rebels won, he held back, gathered remnants of the defeated Imperial Fleet and set about kicking the Rebels' ass, largely because he saw that they were a bunch of pussies who couldn't or wouldn't unite against a crisis.  Only his death by Deus Ex Machina kept him from destroying the Rebs and reinstating the Empire.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:

edit; Ok... ok, i admit, for a DISNEY villian... he was a bastard

XD

All the ones I posted offer different qualities I like in Villains. Some are insane, some are evil, some are uncompromising, some are devious, etc. DISNEY FILM OR NOT, he stands out in my mind as a great villain because of how clever and ruthless he is (at least in comparison to the other characters in the movie). :3

The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

/double post, delete plz D;

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote:It's hard

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

It's hard to break out of one dimension when you're writing a villain or group of villains, though.  Giving the audience permission to hate somebody means that you've got to obscure their side of the issue contested or just make them pathologically petty or jealous or paranoid.

HambyDammit wrote:

The best villains, in my opinion, are people who aren't really evil.  (Come to think of it, villain creation pretty much refutes the notion of evil as a real quality.)  It's really compelling when you can actually empathize with the enemy.  You know they need to be destroyed, but it hurts you to do so because you know they could be good.

Yeah I'm with you both on this count. Villians that work are necessarily flat and quickly defeated, or they are shifted gradually away from evilness into ambiguity.
FSM's list adds some creedence to this, for example; there's Pinhead, who's victimhood is slowly revealed and by the third act we have enough of his backstory to like who he was, Voldemort, same story, somebody already mentioned Vader in this light, and Hannibal's empathetic character is present and visible just under the surface of his brutality at all times playing cognitive dissonance with the audience. Then on the other hand, we have Cyrus the virus, mad as a cut snake and religiously dedicated to evil, lasts a whole film, Hans Gruber, greedy, ruthless, inhuman... dead within 2 hrs and etc.

My favourite Villians are probably all of the kind Hamby's talking about, for example:
I like Con Air but I'd have, rather than Cyrus, Garland Greene. He's deeply deeply hateable, but, instead of pushing that, the story reinforces his humanity making him all that bit more real and scary (and alive in the end too). 

Pinhead is definitely on my list- major Barker fan here, apart from pinhead my fave Barker Baddie is Immacolata,  twisted bitch, I would so play her in a movie.

Hannibal is in my view probably the best most disturbing bad guy ever thought up.

Then I'd add Vic Vega (Mr Blonde) from Reservoir Dogs, he's a psychopathic sadist you love to hate but he's also a rescued abuse victim unwavering loyal and affectionate to the family that adopted him.

Rather than Voldemort from the HP series, I'd choose Severus Snape, there has to be something sick in him because he's sinister to children and always knee deep in dirty work with relish, but he's got so many other dimensions that the audience could argue about his good-evil alignment just endlessly (and they do).

As far as Star Trek Baddies go, I would favour the Vidiians from Voyager. A race of aliens that infected themselves with an incurable degenerate disease through genetic modification and their answer, abduct and harvest compatible organ donors, wherever and however you find them, preferably alive cause they're more harvestable. It's way icky, but it's got that second dimension of their own personal desperate plight to make it philosophically interesting and believable.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:As far as Star

Eloise wrote:

As far as Star Trek Baddies go, I would favour the Vidiians from Voyager. A race of aliens that infected themselves with an incurable degenerate disease through genetic modification and their answer, abduct and harvest compatible organ donors, wherever and however you find them, preferably alive cause they're more harvestable. It's way icky, but it's got that second dimension of their own personal desperate plight to make it philosophically interesting and believable.

The ultimate villian for me in star-trek, is the Q-race

The power to do ANYTHING yet they choose to do NOTHING... thats just, unforgivable, in my eyes... the ultimate waste >.< heh

What Would Kharn Do?

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:Eloise

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Eloise wrote:

The power to do ANYTHING yet they choose to do NOTHING... thats just, unforgivable, in my eyes... the ultimate waste >.< heh

Q was hideously mangled in Voyager, for me it is the one great failure of the Voy series, and contrarily one of the big successes of TNG.

The problem with Q is that it's just too inconceivably perfect a villian to do anything sensible with, there's no way to attach any believable depth to the actions of Q. So while the petty senseless racketeering of TNG's Q was just plain good fun, the later, supposedly wanting for much, angst-ridden Q of Voyager was just nonsensical drivel.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:The ultimate

Eloise wrote:

Q was hideously mangled in Voyager, for me it is the one great failure of the Voy series, and contrarily one of the big successes of TNG.

The problem with Q is that it's just too inconceivably perfect a villian to do anything sensible with, there's no way to attach any believable depth to the actions of Q. So while the petty senseless racketeering of TNG's Q was just plain good fun, the later, supposedly wanting for much, angst-ridden Q of Voyager was just nonsensical drivel.

Wasnt really reffering to Q the character, but the "race of Q" itself

the character was fine in my book, hes all powerful and did what he felt like, for sheer entertainment. I have no quibles with that.

the "race of Q" is opposed to such a thing, and put an end to the characters ways. I suppose its the concept of what they stood for that annoys me...

What Would Kharn Do?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Eloise, I'm appalled that

Eloise, I'm appalled that I didn't think of Hannibal.  You're right.  He's pretty much the best villain ever.  He's so freaking intelligent, refined, and elegant.  He loves being alive, and he has a genuine code of ethics.  His code of ethics is absolutely fucking batshit psycopathic... but the viewer can understand it the same way we understood the Una-bomber.

Yeah, I read that crackpot's dissertation, and frankly... it almost made a scary amount of sense.  It was easy for me to see how he justified his crimes to himself.  That's the same way I feel about Hannibal.

While we're at it, we might as well mention Louis and Lestat from the Vampire novels.  They were such excellent foils for each other.  Nevermind how ridiculous and trite the novels got after.. what was it... Queen of the Damned.  Louis was a great anti-hero.  Lestat was so many good things... and yet he was truly evil... except that when the chips were down, he had a conscience.  Just a very warped vampire conscience.  He was much farther removed from his humanity than Louis.

Books about atheism

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:One more thing to say

Quote:
One more thing to say about Star Wars and villains; I'm sure there a couple of folks here who read the Grand Admiral Thrawn books--now he was a decent villain.  No Jedi powers, no desire to build a planet cracker, just cold, ruthless strategy applied against the factions of the New Republic.  If you aren't familiar, he was a blue-skinned alien of some sort who kept getting busted down in rank because he would actually tell Emperor things like "you don't need a Death Star" and "don't install a thermal exhaust port on your Death Star".  After the Rebels won, he held back, gathered remnants of the defeated Imperial Fleet and set about kicking the Rebels' ass, largely because he saw that they were a bunch of pussies who couldn't or wouldn't unite against a crisis.  Only his death by Deus Ex Machina kept him from destroying the Rebs and reinstating the Empire.

You won't hear me say this often, but yeah - that was an awesome series of Star Wars books. Thrawn was apparently drafted largely after Erwin Rommel, which makes it all the more kick ass. I think my favorite part was when Thrawn busted whoever's balls about what a piece of shit idea a superweapon like the Death Star was, and how Palpatine go exactly what he asked for. The best part about it, I think, is that you sort of get the best of two worlds: you get to watch the movies when you're younger and think that the Death Star is just the bestest thing ever, and then you get to read the Thrawn Trilogy when you're older and have it agree with you that the movies were fun but silly - and this is how the real shit gets done.

Wait, though. I have to go back to the Borg for a moment. First, the Borg only count up until First Contact, period. Voyager is dreck, and should be lost and forgotten. That gives you a grand total of 7 episodes featuring the Borg, ("Q Who", "Best of Both Worlds I", "Best of Both Worlds II", "I Borg", "Descent", "Descent II" and First Contact, the eighth Star Trek movie) only 4 of which you would ever want to watch ("Q Who", "Best of Both Worlds I", "Best of Both Worlds II" and First Contact). So I'd have to say that they weren't much overused.

Second... when the Borg showed-up, it was a paradigm shift for the show and for the Federation. Up until that moment, the Fed had the uncontested best ships in the galaxy, period (we were constantly reminded by the Klingons of how outmatched their Warbirds were by Federation starships). Then a lone Cube with Picard assimilated aboard met a task force of 40 Federation ships at Wolf 359, destroying 39 of them and leaving the battle unscathed.

That's why the Borg were awesome. They scared us at a time when we were so sure there was nothing to be afraid of anymore.

Wait, though. We've come all this way discussing villains without mentioning Sarah Kerrigan? The Queen of Blades? The former heart throb of Jim Raynor turned his most hated enemy? For shame! You spent the first half of Starcraft building rapport with Kerrigan and watching her relationship with Jim grow... and then, despite your best efforts, you lose her on Tarsonis. Damn that Arcturus Mengst! And then you spend the last half of Starcraft hating her thilthy, infested guts, even as you serve as her subordinate.

Blizzard really made magic happen with that franchise. Here's to hoping they don't screw up the upcoming sequel.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Rather than Voldemort

Quote:
Rather than Voldemort from the HP series, I'd choose Severus Snape, there has to be something sick in him because he's sinister to children and always knee deep in dirty work with relish, but he's got so many other dimensions that the audience could argue about his good-evil alignment just endlessly (and they do).

Snape is an interesting character because he is a good guy for all of the wrong reasons. I mean, really, he just wanted to do whatever it was that would get him into Lily's pants... and that became his bizarre ethics standard even long after's Lily's death ("...For him ? " ). Everything he wound-up doing for Dumbledore and the order he did because he thought it's what Lily would've appreciated, and his bitter attitude towards Harry was clearly inspired by his jealousy and hatred of James.

Severus always should've been a die-hard despicable death eater, but the buck of his ambitions stopped at his penis. That's just one more thing that makes Harry Potter brilliant and original; I can't name another piece of fiction where an otherwise clear cut villain was 'lured' into doing good out of lust.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
Lestat is an amazing

Lestat is an amazing character. I wish I finished reading the Vampire Chronicles D;

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Wait,

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Wait, though. We've come all this way discussing villains without mentioning Sarah Kerrigan? The Queen of Blades? The former heart throb of Jim Raynor turned his most hated enemy? For shame! You spent the first half of Starcraft building rapport with Kerrigan and watching her relationship with Jim grow... and then, despite your best efforts, you lose her on Tarsonis. Damn that Arcturus Mengst! And then you spend the last half of Starcraft hating her thilthy, infested guts, even as you serve as her subordinate.

Blizzard really made magic happen with that franchise. Here's to hoping they don't screw up the upcoming sequel.

You cant be serious.... Starcraft? Kerrigan? have you gone mad?

What Would Kharn Do?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 At first I was thinking

At first I was thinking Nancy Kerrigan, but then I remembered Tonya Harding was the bad guy.

Books about atheism

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
If I learned anything from

If I learned anything from watching Russ Meyer films, it's that female villains should be stacked. Like these ladies:

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, now that we are

Well, now that we are branching out from movies and TV, is anyone else a fan of Stephen Donaldson? His Gap Chronicles series is full of evil people. In fact, apart from one or two characters who are just caught in the currents of larger events going on around them, basically every single character is evil.

Hambydammit wrote:
At first I was thinking Nancy Kerrigan, but then I remembered Tonya Harding was the bad guy.

Actually, Blizzard has confirmed that their fictional character Sarah was named for the figure skater Nancy.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Well, now that we are branching out from movies and TV, is anyone else a fan of Stephen Donaldson? His Gap Chronicles series is full of evil people. In fact, apart from one or two characters who are just caught in the currents of larger events going on around them, basically every single character is evil.

Ok, im sold...

New reading material, yay! >.>

What Would Kharn Do?

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Gotta throw my hat in for

Gotta throw my hat in for villians, naturally...

While i think we can all agree that Hannibal Lector reigns as king shit so far

but i'd like to toss in some close contenders, who havent been mentioned yet...

Yagami Light, of Death Note

&

Cartman, Southpark

What Would Kharn Do?

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:Yagami

The Doomed Soul wrote:

My sister brought me a copy of Death Note to watch this week, cause I haven't seen it yet... will contribute my two pieces of copper then.

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Cartman, Southpark

LMAO. Yeah, I think he ranks.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:my fave Barker

Eloise wrote:

my fave Barker Baddie is Immacolata,  twisted bitch, I would so play her in a movie.

Loved Weaveworld (liked the door-to-door salesman badguy with his magic jacket).

Didn't Immacolata do that "menstruum" thing ? I don't think that'll be in the movie version somehow.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Cartman.Very good

Cartman.

Very good choice.

He fucking ground up a kid's parents and put them in chili and fed it to the kid in front of his favorite rock band.

But... I also have to give him mad props for selling a million Christian albums and then saying "Goddammit!" at the award ceremony.  Mad props.

Then again, he pretty much tried to wipe out all gingers, and I happen to like the occasional fling with a no-souled ginger.

For anybody who hasn't figured it out, by the way, Cartman is middle America.  Each one of those boys is a pure archetype.  Really brilliant writing, even though the last season or two have lacked punch.

Books about atheism

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:If I learned

Gauche wrote:

If I learned anything from watching Russ Meyer films, it's that female villains should be stacked. Like these ladies:

Yummm, Tura Satana in her prime ( on the far right )...wotta babe.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:Yummm,

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Adams Apple and all!

What Would Kharn Do?

The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:Gauche

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Gauche wrote:

Reading your comment while looking at your avatar sort of creeped me out, lol.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Ah, yes...Tar Man.  He

Ah, yes...Tar Man.  He was one of the brain eating zombies from "Return of the Living Dead".

The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:  Ah,

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Ah, yes...Tar Man.  He was one of the brain eating zombies from "Return of the Living Dead".

Yeah, he was the one that kept saying "brains." I'm not going to lie, the only zombie movie I ever liked was the 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead, which to true "Zombie Fans," is probably blasphemy since Romero only wrote the screenplay. The only ones I would even rank as close would be 28 days/weeks later, and that's if you consider them zombies. I just love the Night of the Living Dead remake because it's pretty much action from the first to last scene. Plus, I love the idea of people defending a house while arguing the entire time.

Also, I cannot stand comedy when I'm watching a horror movie (unless it's from the evil dead series or Shaun of the Dead which I love), and they just have to throw in something ridiculously gross or ridiculously funny in them. Bah.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:...Might

latincanuck wrote:
...Might as well be part of the collective anyways.

I'M CUMMIN'!!! LOL!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
To clear it up, the Borg

To clear it up, the Borg Queen was introduced in Star Trek VIII, or Star Trek: The Next Generation II (First Contact)(They stopped numbering them at VI), where the Queen travelled to Earths past with the intent of messing with Humanities first Warp Drive test. She also attempted to seduce Picard into rejoining the collective, as she liked Locutus....
Anyway, the Queen is not an individual, she is an avatar. She is the collective embodied. There is no discrepancy. Surprisingly, since Star Trek screws with continuity like no other fiction in history. The two part episode with Hue(Third of Five), and Lore(Data's brother), was far more damaging to the Borg and continuity. They needed the Queen to explain why the Borg collective still could exist after those events. Voyager began encountering her shortly thereafter.
Edit: Incidentally, the Queen in First Contact was so different than Voyager because the collective available was so small. At its peak it was comprised of perhaps a hundred individuals, compared to

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
the millions of trillions of

the millions of trillions of individuals that normally create the avatar.

Ran out of space. Must have a limit on this system.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:Yagami

The Doomed Soul wrote:
My partner started watching that.  We both love anime.  I couldn't stand it.  It was so fucked.  The kid thinks he's doing the right thing.  It's just so blatantly obvious he's not.  If he's supposed to be so smart why can't he see the fallacy he's committed?  It doesn't make any fucking sense.  I just can't watch it.  It makes my skin itch with anger!  Oh, then there's the fact that he kills people just so he can become the god-emperor of the world.

Instead I watch Hayate no Gotoku.  There's an anime I can watch.  Light, vapid and full of cute fun!

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Extra note: Grand Admiral

Extra note: Grand Admiral Thrawn was assassinated by his own body guard while sitting on the command deck of the Chimaera. There was no dues x shit in that particular series.
Also, his demotions were faked. He was in fact the being after Vader which Sidious trusted most. His "forced" trip to the Unknown Regions was a plot to defend the galaxy against a species that was on the way with intentions of conquering, and was mostly immune to the Force.
Thrawn solidified my addiction to Star Wars.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:The kid

Thomathy wrote:

The kid thinks he's doing the right thing.  It's just so blatantly obvious he's not. If he's supposed to be so smart why can't he see the fallacy he's committed?  It doesn't make any fucking sense.  I just can't watch it.  It makes my skin itch with anger! 

Do a shit load of evil, to make something good... the logic is sound, whats the problem?

and what was the fallacy he committed?

Thomathy wrote:

Oh, then there's the fact that he kills people just so he can become the god-emperor of the world.

Realism Ahoy! ... who wouldnt kill people to become a god-emperor? hell, who could become a god-emperor WITHOUT killing people?

Thomathy wrote:

Instead I watch Hayate no Gotoku.  There's an anime I can watch.  Light, vapid and full of cute fun!

you are such a lolicon its not even funny...

What Would Kharn Do?

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

So...yeah. I like TTGL, Soul Eater, Detroit Metal City kind of anime.

I thought Death Note was OKAY. The character development of Light and L, and the constant "chess" like atmosphere of the story appealed to me.

I'm following Needless right now. :3

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Thomathy wrote:

The kid thinks he's doing the right thing.  It's just so blatantly obvious he's not. If he's supposed to be so smart why can't he see the fallacy he's committed?  It doesn't make any fucking sense.  I just can't watch it.  It makes my skin itch with anger! 

Do a shit load of evil, to make something good... the logic is sound, whats the problem?

and what was the fallacy he committed?

He doesn't do anything good, though.  I can't see that he'll be happy, unless he's insane.  He starts by killing violent criminals, then regular criminals, then people who chase him, then suspected criminals, then innocent people.  He has to kill everybody.  He'd be the god-emperor of an empty world.  You'd hate that world, Doomed.  Who would you kill?  Who would you rule?  He'd be the only criminal left, besides.  How could his world be free of criminals if there's at least one left?  I don't much like contradiction.  It really pisses me off.

Quote:
you are such a lolicon its not even funny...

I don't know what that is (so I'll do a google search).  I watch a variety of different anime.  I just happen to HATE Death Note.  The very premise of the show bothers me.

Edit:  I'm offended, Doomed.  I am not attracted to young girls or the eroticization of such!  Take that back! 

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:He doesn't do

Thomathy wrote:

He doesn't do anything good, though. 

Good was the goal, not the path

Thomathy wrote:

I can't see that he'll be happy, unless he's insane.  

Power and control made him happy... so, yes he was happy (his sanity is irrelevent)

Thomathy wrote:

He starts by killing violent criminals, then regular criminals, then people who chase him, then suspected criminals, then innocent people.  He has to kill everybody. 

His goal was to remove "evil" from the world, criminals are evil, the removal of criminals could be construed as evil but not as evil as allowing the existence of this evil, when one has the ability to remove it. Light is "Justice" in his mind, anyone that attempts to stop him, is protecting evil, and allowing it to propogate. i'm not quite sure you really understand the train of thought in the story, but i cant fault you for having it rub you the wrong way. In essence, its a "Might makes Right" story

Thomathy wrote:

He'd be the god-emperor of an empty world. 

He wasnt gonna kill "everyone"

Thomathy wrote:

You'd hate that world, Doomed. 

Possibly, but then again, his end goal was the progression of the human race, something i am for.

Thomathy wrote:

Who would you kill?  Who would you rule? 

Everyone who was determental to the advancement of humanity and those who stood in my way. I would rule all those within my power, duh?

Thomathy wrote:

He'd be the only criminal left

Not if he "won"

It was even said in the story, if Kira loses, he's a criminal, if Kira wins, he's a god

What Would Kharn Do?

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:He'd

The Doomed Soul wrote:
He'd be the only criminal left

Not if he "won"

It was even said in the story, if Kira loses, he's a criminal, if Kira wins, he's a god

Oh, sure, he'd be a god.  Only by his own standard could he be anything other than a criminal.  And those who followed him, if he didn't have to kill everyone to cleanse the world (which seems likely in my mind), would be accomplices to the greatest number of murders attributable to one man.  Any outside observer would have to conclude that he was both insane and a criminal and that those who followed him were at least criminals.  Not that it matters anyhow.  You know how the story ends, right?

BigUniverse wrote,

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:Oh, sure,

Thomathy wrote:

Oh, sure, he'd be a god.  Only by his own standard could he be anything other than a criminal.  And those who followed him, if he didn't have to kill everyone to cleanse the world (which seems likely in my mind), would be accomplices to the greatest number of murders attributable to one man.  Any outside observer would have to conclude that he was both insane and a criminal and that those who followed him were at least criminals.  Not that it matters anyhow.  You know how the story ends, right?

Yes, i do know how it ends... Kira is caught, dies, and becomes a god (whether or not he becomes a DeathGod is debatable)

--

Not that the anime shows that...

Light/Kira wins, just not in the way he wanted...

What Would Kharn Do?

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Damnit, not even a chance to

Damnit, not even a chance to fix that formatting error.  The anime does not show that. (Though all I did was read the synopses.)  Point taken.  Well, he's no emperor.  Good riddance.

BigUniverse wrote,

Juvenile Narcissist
Silver Member
Juvenile Narcissist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote: The Doomed

Thomathy wrote:

The Doomed Soul wrote:
My partner started watching that.  We both love anime.  I couldn't stand it.  It was so fucked.  The kid thinks he's doing the right thing.  It's just so blatantly obvious he's not.  If he's supposed to be so smart why can't he see the fallacy he's committed?  It doesn't make any fucking sense.  I just can't watch it.  It makes my skin itch with anger!  Oh, then there's the fact that he kills people just so he can become the god-emperor of the world.

Certainly, if you are looking for light, cute fun, Death Note isn't your best bet. I haven't seen the anime, but I have read the manga, and I have to disagree with you about Light. He's a very well developed and consistent character. He does indeed make sense. In no way are his actions wrong to him in either a subtle or blatant way. His ends justifiy his means, and his megalomania has lead him to conclude that his actions are beyond reproof. No matter how much you may disagree with his means (or even his ends), no matter how obviously wrong they are to you, and no matter how much of an asshole you think he is, he's still internally consistent. He's a well written character, and that makes his very interesting to me (no matter how much of a shit he might be). Too bad you couldn't get into it, but to each his own.

Rill