On the Existence of Agnosticism

Presuppositionalist
Theist
Presuppositionalist's picture
User is offlineOffline
On the Existence of Agnosticism

The standard position on RRS is as follows:

Either you believe in God or you do not. If you do, you are a theist. If you don't, you are an a-theist. So there's no room for agnosticism. Agnosticism is actually a position about whether we can know God exists. If you think we can't know whether God exists with certainty, then you are an agnostic. If you think we can, you are a gnostic.

In this division, agnostic atheists and agnostic theists must believe something they do not believe they can know. But that is an odd thing to force on someone. A person could think that he will only have some belief in theism and some belief in atheism, because he does not think that it is possible to be sure either way. The RRS has artificially divided the agnostic's knowledge from his beliefs. They are saying that we may gather the evidence as carefully as we want, and place it with cautious precision on both ends of the scale - but then we have to SLAM down one side or the other. There is no room here for degrees of certainty, which is a serious flaw if this scale is going to be used to chart the positions people take on a subject where lots of people have very little certainty at all.

Pretend we lead a group of people in a room and tell them we are going to play a game. At one end of the room, we place a sign that says "stand here if God exists." At the other end, we place a sign that says "stand here if God does not exist." Part of the group will stand under one sign, and part of the group will stand under the other sign. What about the part that could not decide where to stand? Are we to understand that they are secretly agreeing with the people who say God does not exist? Of course not. So it is natural to class that group of people by themselves, not with the people who say God does not exist. When a natural division arises between two sorts of things, you should use different terms for them.

If the RRS is correct, we should push all of those people over to the side with the people who say God does not exist. It just makes more sense, says the RRS, that everyone should have to take one of the two labels. Everyone has to be pressed up against one wall or the other, and nobody can stand in between. If you saw our game being run like that, you would think that whoever set it up was pretty naive.

Q: Why didn't you address (post x) that I made in response to you nine minutes ago???

A: Because I have (a) a job, (b) familial obligations, (c) social obligations, and (d) probably a lot of other atheists responded to the same post you did, since I am practically the token Christian on this site now. Be patient, please.

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
How relevant is agnosticism

How relevant is agnosticism in the debate about theism/atheism?

I'll put it this way. The term "agnosticism" - as you point out - concerns a position we take regarding the definition of knowledge itself and how any of us can claim to be certain in that knowledge. It has an application to the question of theism, but only if forced into that employment. Really it is something which can be applied to just about any question of knowing anything in any context.

You say that the default position on this site is for RRS to "claim" agnostics as being on the side of atheism. Personally I see no great evidence of such a policy here. It is really up to each self-proclaimed agnostic to choose which "side" of the theistic debate they favour. But even if it was true then it is still immaterial, unless one reduces the debate to a numbers game. After all atheism - which is simply the absence of a belief shared by theists - cannot by definition put forward an "opposite" belief to theism by which to "tempt" waverers over to its side. It can only appeal to reason, logic and common sense - an approach which historically produces extremely unpredictable results in any field.

What I have noticed over the long period in which I have engaged in this debate is that theists and atheists, for reasons which are obvious, clash fundamentally in the semantic application of language. Evidence for this arises again and again on these threads, for example, which engenders "debate" which is not particularly circular but actually divergent. In other words, unless the semantic disparities are addressed first the debate spirals off into two unconnected directions where shared expressions and terms give the illusion of discourse but dichotomous interpretations of these expressions result in a non-conversation.

Your post is actually a very good example of this. For example, when you say a person can have "some belief in theism and some belief in atheism" you are stating something which to a theist - a person dedicated to the concept of belief in a certain sense - makes total sense, but to an atheist no sense at all since "belief in atheism" is almost a non-sequitur, so contradictory in meaning is it. The problem lies in the use of "belief" (a very common stumbling block semantically in these debates). Even your use of "agnostic" in relation to a single issue is one which an atheist cannot really respond to rationally, since it is not rational to an atheist to impose such a limitation on its application, at least not to an atheist who has thought out the full implications in terms of gnostic principle of abandoning blind belief in anything.

I am sure your post will elicit the usual confused and disjointed reasoning which such semantic obfuscation engenders again and again on this site and, for all I know, such a debate might even suit your own purposes. I have seen many theists derive comfort and false reassurance for their own fallacial stand when the divergence of semantic application leads them to wrongly interpret their interlocutor's stand as being equally fallacial (it happens rarely the other way round since atheists are generally not looking for comfort in such things). But it is pertinent to remember that your own tendentious and subjective semantic stresses are what will have given rise to it, and that if you were genuinely interested in improving your understanding of the "other side's" position, or even your own for that matter, you are most likely doomed to failure.

If you want however to start yet another dichotomous strand of argument to no particular end, then of course you have chosen your words well and good luck with it. But it means nothing ultimately, except in terms of deriving satisfaction from baiting a perceived opposition.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
There's plenty of room for

There's plenty of room for agnosticism - are you a gnostic theist or an agnostic theist?

Do you know God exists or not?

I don't know whether he exists or not but the lack of evidence leads me to not believe in him - thus, agnostic atheist.

Then again, I don't understand how gnostic atheists or gnostic theists are possible.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

Presuppositionalist wrote:
Either you believe in God or you do not. If you do, you are a theist. If you don't, you are an a-theist. So there's no room for agnosticism. Agnosticism is actually a position about whether we can know God exists. If you think we can't know whether God exists with certainty, then you are an agnostic. If you think we can, you are a gnostic.

It's not that there's "no room" for agnosticism, it's that it's irrelevant. The supernatural cannot be known, gods are supernatural, therefore gods cannot be known.

Agnosticism isn't even a position, it's just stating the obvious.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:I don't know

jcgadfly wrote:

I don't know whether he exists or not but the lack of evidence leads me to not believe in him - thus, agnostic atheist.

But you don't even know what you're not believing in. Furthermore, if what you're not believing in is supernatural, then obviously you're agnostic towards it: it cannot be known by definition.

Man, I love this argument. I wish I had found it sooner.

See, the only reason you're exercising this admirable intellectual humility is because for natural things, any of us would say, "yeah, I guess it's just something we haven't discovered yet". But that's only if gods were natural. They're not! So you don't actually need to exercise that humility at all.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Christ on a fucking pogo

Christ on a fucking pogo stick.  Why is this so hard?

"Gnosticism" refers to knowledge.

"Theism" refers to belief.

"A-" is a prefix indicating negation.

A-gnostic - one who does not possess knowledge of a god.

A-theist - one who does not possess belief in a god.

If atheists are correct, this is how the thing works.  See the big red circle?  Everything in there is OBJECTIVELY TRUE.  See the big blue circle?  That's what people BELIEVE to be true.  See where they intersect?  That's what people believe that also happens to be true.

Get it?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Erg... You're not going to

Erg... You're not going to get it.

Ok... look, anything that is in the blue circle but not in the red circle CANNOT BE KNOWLEDGE.  If god does not exist, then the belief "GOD EXISTS" cannot be knowledge.  It can only be belief.  Since "gnostic" is someone with "KNOWLEDGE" of god, it is absolutely impossible to be a gnostic if god does not exist.  Since "a-" is the prefix for negation, we put it in front of gnostic... "agnostic."  That means, a person doesn't have KNOWLEDGE of a god.

If god doesn't exist, EVERYBODY is agnostic.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Hambydammit wrote:

Erg... You're not going to get it.

Ok... look, anything that is in the blue circle but not in the red circle CANNOT BE KNOWLEDGE.  If god does not exist, then the belief "GOD EXISTS" cannot be knowledge.  It can only be belief.  Since "gnostic" is someone with "KNOWLEDGE" of god, it is absolutely impossible to be a gnostic if god does not exist.  Since "a-" is the prefix for negation, we put it in front of gnostic... "agnostic."  That means, a person doesn't have KNOWLEDGE of a god.

If a god doesn't exist, people can still be gnostic. They would just be wrong in their thinking that they have knowledge of a god.

Most people are agnostic though because few theists claim they "know" a god exists, instead they claim to have "faith" in it. Most atheists don't make any claim, and the ones that do usually say that no one has shown evidence to sway them to that belief.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:jcgadfly

HisWillness wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

But you don't even know what you're not believing in. Furthermore, if what you're not believing in is supernatural, then obviously you're agnostic towards it: it cannot be known by definition.

Man, I love this argument. I wish I had found it sooner.

See, the only reason you're exercising this admirable intellectual humility is because for natural things, any of us would say, "yeah, I guess it's just something we haven't discovered yet". But that's only if gods were natural. They're not! So you don't actually need to exercise that humility at all.

All gods are natural. They sprung from the minds of natural men. We have only the words of their creators as to their supernatural attributes.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Think of Russell's teapot.

Think of Russell's teapot. There's no way to definitively prove either that it exists or that it does not. Thus, I am agnostic on that facet of the issue.

However, there is a further question: do I actually BELIEVE in that extraterrestrial teapot? The answer is no. There is no evidence for it. So, while I do not claim to be able to definitely disprove the idea, I do not believe in it. I am an agnostic a-teapot-ist.

The same goes with the concept of god. I do not claim to be able to disprove the concept of a god in general. There are particular gods about whom claims are able to be made and refuted(such as the Judeo-Christian god), but I don't think that there is a general proof against the existence of gods, and so I am agnostic. I do not, however, believe in a god due to the utter lack of evidence, so I am an atheist.

All that is necessary for the triumph of good is that evil men do nothing.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
What kind of agnosticism is

What kind of agnosticism is "I don't know exactly, but I have a theory"? I think that such topics are too important to have a mere belief. Thus I think in terms of theories, known and unknown aspects of them, supportive evidence, etc. Is theism any kind of positive statement towards god, or it is in the difference between belief and knowledge? Personally, I think that theism is in worship, in trying to get a better living by climbing up the deity's ass.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Luminon wrote:

What kind of agnosticism is "I don't know exactly, but I have a theory"? I think that such topics are too important to have a mere belief. Thus I think in terms of theories, known and unknown aspects of them, supportive evidence, etc. Is theism any kind of positive statement towards god, or it is in the difference between belief and knowledge? Personally, I think that theism is in worship, in trying to get a better living by climbing up the deity's ass.

If you don't know, but you choose to believe regardless (or you have a "theory" of a god you believe in) you are an agnostic theist.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:All gods are

jcgadfly wrote:

All gods are natural. They sprung from the minds of natural men. We have only the words of their creators as to their supernatural attributes.

Right. Like most thoughtful people, you have a naturalistic argument ... which can't be applied to the supernatural.

Even if gods are semi-supernatural, we're still left with internally inconsistent (nonsensical) definitions of the natural part, and the supernatural part specifically does not exist.

Thus, no reason to even mention being "agnostic". The word doesn't add any information, nor does it address the subject.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:If god

Hambydammit wrote:

That's kinda the problem. Everybody's agnostic towards supernatural things regardless, because the word "supernatural" refers to things we can never test, and thus never really know.

But as ClockCat says, people can be gnostic and be wrong. They'd just be demonstrably wrong.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:What kind of

Luminon wrote:

What kind of agnosticism is "I don't know exactly, but I have a theory"?

I don't know. What is it, exactly you have a theory about?

(Hint: you have no idea.)

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

HisWillness wrote:

Luminon wrote:

What kind of agnosticism is "I don't know exactly, but I have a theory"?

(Hint: you have no idea.)

I just made an assumption regarding his theory topic and will see if he corrects me. Smiling

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
thatonedude wrote:Think of

thatonedude wrote:
Think of Russell's teapot. There's no way to definitively prove either that it exists or that it does not. Thus, I am agnostic on that facet of the issue.

But that's a teapot. I've seen teapots before, and I know they exist. Starting a sentence with "there exists a teapot" is coherent. You can actually apply agnosticism to that teapot. The problem with supernatural entities is that they're inherently pure trickery. The supernatural does not exist (in any sense of the word that "exist" can mean coherently) so being agnostic with regards to something for which there can never be knowledge is redundant.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
To state that "A person

To state that "A person could think that he will only have some belief in theism and some belief in atheism" is an absurd bit of semantics devoid of logic.

Firstly, we are not talking about "belief in theism" OR "belief in atheism" - 'atheism' and 'theism' both do exist, as epistemological positions.

We are talking about belief in the existence of some form of supernatural entity labelled 'God', or lack of such belief.

Secondly, where one position is lack of belief in the existence of G, and the other is strong belief in G, there is no intermediate position made up some combination of those positions. Any intermediate position would be some level of belief in G, so only one extreme would correspond to actual atheism.

'Agnosticism', in so far as it makes sense, is based on assessing the strength of the arguments for and against the existence of God. If one finds the totality of the arguments on both sides not adequate to form a strong position, amounting to proof or something very close to it, it has become standard to label oneself 'agnostic'. 

It is a very asymmetric position: arguments against God's existence can really only be based on showing inconsistencies or contradictions in the particular concept, plus pointing out the inadequacy or logical flaws in the arguments for its existence. Once you are prepared to postulate a being with arbitrarily great powers, intrinsically beyond ordinary experience, you can always explain away any apparent lack of evidence or inconsistency by positing some particular ability and/or motive. SInce some Theists go so far as to attribute Logic itself as deriving from God, there is no way to show them how absurd such a position is by logic.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1

BobSpence1 wrote:

'Agnosticism', in so far as it makes sense, is based on assessing the strength of the arguments for and against the existence of God. If one finds the totality of the arguments on both sides not adequate to form a strong position, amounting to proof or something very close to it, it has become standard to label oneself 'agnostic'.

But what type of argument is made actually becomes important. I'm not rejecting the possibility of someone being wrong, I'm suggesting tossing out the word "agnostic" as a term that is as specifically meaningless as the term "god". It's not surprising that "agnosticism" would be meaningless anyway, considering the word itself was coined to deal with the meaningless word "god".

You're right, of course, that it has "become standard" to label oneself in this way. But as to the type of arguments made: there would have to be a good case made for logic not applying here. If it could be shown that logic has no place in this argument, I'd have to move away from it entirely. I see no reason for that to be the case, though.

Bob wrote:
It is a very asymmetric position: arguments against God's existence can really only be based on showing inconsistencies or contradictions in the particular concept, plus pointing out the inadequacy or logical flaws in the arguments for its existence. Once you are prepared to postulate a being with arbitrarily great powers, intrinsically beyond ordinary experience, you can always explain away any apparent lack of evidence or inconsistency by positing some particular ability and/or motive. SInce some Theists go so far as to attribute Logic itself as deriving from God, there is no way to show them how absurd such a position is by logic.

Ah, but armed with the understanding that the terms are mere trickery, none of that needs be addressed. Postulating an incoherent being is a wonderful exercise, but does not produce anything but fantasy. Even if, after one has postulated such a being (and inadvertently begged the question by calling it a "being" ), one then decides that it created logic, it cannot "un-do" the fact that logic works for so many other things, and under so many other circumstances.

If we had reason to doubt logic, to doubt the word "exist" or to doubt that we had invented the word "supernatural" to specifically refer to things that will always be beyond our knowledge, then I would accept agnosticism and weak atheism.

I'm thinking the word "exist" would have to be changed to accomodate gods, and that says something right there.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:I just made

ClockCat wrote:

I just made an assumption regarding his theory topic and will see if he corrects me. Smiling

Luminon believes things that specifically contradict the science of chemistry, so ...

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:If you don't

ClockCat wrote:

If you don't know, but you choose to believe regardless (or you have a "theory" of a god you believe in) you are an agnostic theist.

My abilities to reproduce the theory in practice are limited. I can only become sure about some of it's aspects. When it comes to the questions about god, my stance is that theory says so-and-so, and the little I could verify of the theory came true to me. But it doesn't necessarily mean that the theory is also true about the god. Even if it's working and useful, it still doesn't mean that it is literally true or precise, it might be reducible, relative, or whatever.
Anyway, according to the theory and my stage of personal development, I won't be able to verify that personally until a few tenths of future incarnations at best.

HisWillness wrote:

The nature of world, or worlds, exactly said. The constitution of life and human beings, mainly. The cyclic, spiral-like activity of the universe, life, and everything in nature. Well, pretty much everything, mainly who we are, where do we come from, and where we go. It's result is an interesting philosophy of life, and also practical, I think. I mean, compared to philosophies like nihilism or materialism, which I don't consider useful.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:HisWillness

Luminon wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

The nature of world, or worlds, exactly said. The constitution of life and human beings, mainly. The cyclic, spiral-like activity of the universe, life, and everything in nature. Well, pretty much everything, mainly who we are, where do we come from, and where we go. It's result is an interesting philosophy of life, and also practical, I think. I mean, compared to philosophies like nihilism or materialism, which I don't consider useful.

I rest my case.

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness

HisWillness wrote:

thatonedude wrote:

But that's a teapot. I've seen teapots before, and I know they exist. Starting a sentence with "there exists a teapot" is coherent. You can actually apply agnosticism to that teapot. The problem with supernatural entities is that they're inherently pure trickery. The supernatural does not exist (in any sense of the word that "exist" can mean coherently) so being agnostic with regards to something for which there can never be knowledge is redundant.

Are you arguing that since you cannot conceptualize a version of reality that includes a supernatural piece, agnosticism therefore does not apply?

All that is necessary for the triumph of good is that evil men do nothing.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

Presuppositionalist wrote:

The standard position on RRS is as follows:

In this division, agnostic atheists and agnostic theists must believe something they do not believe they can know. But that is an odd thing to force on someone. A person could think that he will only have some belief in theism and some belief in atheism, because he does not think that it is possible to be sure either way. The RRS has artificially divided the agnostic's knowledge from his beliefs. They are saying that we may gather the evidence as carefully as we want, and place it with cautious precision on both ends of the scale - but then we have to SLAM down one side or the other. There is no room here for degrees of certainty, which is a serious flaw if this scale is going to be used to chart the positions people take on a subject where lots of people have very little certainty at all.

Pretend we lead a group of people in a room and tell them we are going to play a game. At one end of the room, we place a sign that says "stand here if God exists." At the other end, we place a sign that says "stand here if God does not exist." Part of the group will stand under one sign, and part of the group will stand under the other sign. What about the part that could not decide where to stand? Are we to understand that they are secretly agreeing with the people who say God does not exist? Of course not. So it is natural to class that group of people by themselves, not with the people who say God does not exist. When a natural division arises between two sorts of things, you should use different terms for them.

If the RRS is correct, we should push all of those people over to the side with the people who say God does not exist. It just makes more sense, says the RRS, that everyone should have to take one of the two labels. Everyone has to be pressed up against one wall or the other, and nobody can stand in between. If you saw our game being run like that, you would think that whoever set it up was pretty naive.

Yeah, I had problems with RRS's quasi-English definitions.

I felt like I was in Faux News "No Spin Zone."

I've posted on some of my differences with RRS's Agnostic or Theist link twice in other threads. No need to do it again.

We appear to be in agreement on the problems IN the Spin Zone.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Another oxymoron: "agnostic

Another oxymoron:
"agnostic atheist".

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:How relevant

Nordmann wrote:

How relevant is agnosticism in the debate about theism/atheism?

I'll put it this way. The term "agnosticism" - as you point out - concerns a position we take regarding the definition of knowledge itself and how any of us can claim to be certain in that knowledge. It has an application to the question of theism, but only if forced into that employment. Really it is something which can be applied to just about any question of knowing anything in any context.

You say that the default position on this site is for RRS to "claim" agnostics as being on the side of atheism. Personally I see no great evidence of such a policy here. It is really up to each self-proclaimed agnostic to choose which "side" of the theistic debate they favour. But even if it was true then it is still immaterial, unless one reduces the debate to a numbers game. After all atheism - which is simply the absence of a belief shared by theists - cannot by definition put forward an "opposite" belief to theism by which to "tempt" waverers over to its side. It can only appeal to reason, logic and common sense - an approach which historically produces extremely unpredictable results in any field.

What I have noticed over the long period in which I have engaged in this debate is that theists and atheists, for reasons which are obvious, clash fundamentally in the semantic application of language. Evidence for this arises again and again on these threads, for example, which engenders "debate" which is not particularly circular but actually divergent. In other words, unless the semantic disparities are addressed first the debate spirals off into two unconnected directions where shared expressions and terms give the illusion of discourse but dichotomous interpretations of these expressions result in a non-conversation.

Your post is actually a very good example of this. For example, when you say a person can have "some belief in theism and some belief in atheism" you are stating something which to a theist - a person dedicated to the concept of belief in a certain sense - makes total sense, but to an atheist no sense at all since "belief in atheism" is almost a non-sequitur, so contradictory in meaning is it. The problem lies in the use of "belief" (a very common stumbling block semantically in these debates). Even your use of "agnostic" in relation to a single issue is one which an atheist cannot really respond to rationally, since it is not rational to an atheist to impose such a limitation on its application, at least not to an atheist who has thought out the full implications in terms of gnostic principle of abandoning blind belief in anything.

I am sure your post will elicit the usual confused and disjointed reasoning which such semantic obfuscation engenders again and again on this site and, for all I know, such a debate might even suit your own purposes. I have seen many theists derive comfort and false reassurance for their own fallacial stand when the divergence of semantic application leads them to wrongly interpret their interlocutor's stand as being equally fallacial (it happens rarely the other way round since atheists are generally not looking for comfort in such things). But it is pertinent to remember that your own tendentious and subjective semantic stresses are what will have given rise to it, and that if you were genuinely interested in improving your understanding of the "other side's" position, or even your own for that matter, you are most likely doomed to failure.

If you want however to start yet another dichotomous strand of argument to no particular end, then of course you have chosen your words well and good luck with it. But it means nothing ultimately, except in terms of deriving satisfaction from baiting a perceived opposition.

Has it ocurred to you that with blogs like that no thread will ever get anywhere. We'll either die of boredom or exhastion first.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness

HisWillness wrote:

...Agnosticism isn't even a position, it's just stating the obvious.

Is that a definition of Agnosticism?

There's nothing "obvious"
about Agnosticism.

I could say, Atheism is "obvious." So what!

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Get it?I

Hambydammit wrote:

Get it?

I don't get it. Can you explain that diagram with another diagram? My reading comprehension is on par with Paisley/OC.

edit: And apparently Treat too...

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Has it ocurred to you

Quote:

Has it ocurred to you that with blogs like that no thread will ever get anywhere. We'll either die of boredom or exhastion first.

Good to see that neither ennui nor "exhastion" prevented you from contradicting your own premise. Stupidity, like faecal matter, will always find a way to express itself.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
"faecal matter" is as

"faecal matter" is as obsolete as a tiresome ranter.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:...If you

ClockCat wrote:
...If you don't know, but you choose to believe regardless (or you have a "theory" of a god you believe in) you are an agnostic theist.

More lovely oxymora:
"agnostic theist."

LOL!

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
The stupidity here's quite

The stupidity here's quite plain. Fools abound. RRS links to quasi-English are
modulated "spin", just as Nordmann,

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Your obsession with the

Your obsession with the brevity of replies on threads here is noted. However your own contributions do not advertise any advantage in pursuing that policy. They are short but mainly designed to antagonise fellow posters, not contribute to discussion, and have become annoyingly frequent items one must skip over in order to discern whatever discussion they have intruded into.

Trolldom, in other words. As you well know. Have you nothing better to do with your time?

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
You are compelled to

You are compelled to respond
to my posts.

I am your God!

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
No, it's just that I don't

No, it's just that I don't understand what motivates a troll.

If you don't like the website why log on to it? If you do like it why shit on it?

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist, It's

Presuppositionalist,

It's interesting that Nordman, from its first post, has continued to make every attempt to sidetrack and spam your thread.

Now, Nordman continues to do so and claims it's not trolling, but another with interest in the subject is trolling.

Such is the nature of true trolls. Modulation on and on.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:Now, Nordman

treat2 wrote:
Now, Nordman continues to do so and claims it's not trolling, but another with interest in the subject is trolling.

Such is the nature of true trolls. Modulation on and on.

Irony overload.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
thatonedude wrote:Are you

thatonedude wrote:

Are you arguing that since you cannot conceptualize a version of reality that includes a supernatural piece, agnosticism therefore does not apply?

No, not at all. I'm arguing that "supernatural" in its vague definition, was invented specifically to elude reality like a kid chasing its shadow. If reality included a supernatural piece, then the supernatural would be natural.

There's no reason to say that you're agnostic about a concept that was specifically designed to evade "gnosis".

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:HisWillness

treat2 wrote:
HisWillness wrote:
Is that a definition of Agnosticism? There's nothing "obvious" about Agnosticism. I could say, Atheism is "obvious." So what!

Not the same thing. Saying I'm "agnostic" with regards to a concept that was specifically designed to avoid gnosis is redundant, because I can't know something unknowable.

Are you not thinking, "Wow, thanks, Captain Obvious"?

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:treat2

HisWillness wrote:

treat2 wrote:
HisWillness wrote:
Is that a definition of Agnosticism? There's nothing "obvious" about Agnosticism. I could say, Atheism is "obvious." So what!

Not the same thing. Saying I'm "agnostic" with regards to a concept that was specifically designed to avoid gnosis is redundant, because I can't know something unknowable.

Are you not thinking, "Wow, thanks, Captain Obvious"?

The Agnostic does not claim as you do.

Your argument is the position of an Atheist.

More specifically, the Gnostic does not say god is unknowable. The Agnostic merely ssays that god might exist because presently we do
not yet know.

That is entirely different than the Agnostic, as the Agnostic does not claim gods are unknowable. The gods may
well be knowable according to the Agnostic. The Agnostic simply says it may well be, and it might even be possible
to know. THAT is why the Agnostic is "uncertain".

You've well explained one reason why an Atheist may hold to the belief that given
what can not be proven, there is no valid reason to claim it exists, nor to claim that it can be proven.

That's one reason one might be an Atheist, but, not a reason anyone would be an Agnostic.

In short, Agnostics are "wishy washy." They commit to nothing. Anything could be
true, including what the Atheist calls as scientifically unknowable.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:The gods may

treat2 wrote:
The gods may well be knowable according to the Agnostic. The Agnostic simply says it may well be, and it might even be possible to know.

So what, exactly, does the agnostic say is possible to know? Are we not seeing the pattern yet, treat?

JustAnotherBeliever
TheistBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:To state

BobSpence1 wrote:

To state that "A person could think that he will only have some belief in theism and some belief in atheism" is an absurd bit of semantics devoid of logic.

Firstly, we are not talking about "belief in theism" OR "belief in atheism" - 'atheism' and 'theism' both do exist, as epistemological positions.

We are talking about belief in the existence of some form of supernatural entity labelled 'God', or lack of such belief.

Secondly, where one position is lack of belief in the existence of G, and the other is strong belief in G, there is no intermediate position made up some combination of those positions. Any intermediate position would be some level of belief in G, so only one extreme would correspond to actual atheism.

I like your explanation of agnosticism. Some would say that the agnostic is at around a 50% belief in God because it is unknowable (since the beliefs are not justifiable from evidence) and hence in the middle. But intuitively we know most atheists are closer to 0% then 50% and are still agnostic. But the dempster-shafer method is slightly different from probability and a person can put 10% toward belief in God, 30% toward no belief in God, and 60% toward ignorance . This would be based on their subjective weight of the evidence. Then we can define an agnostic to be someone who has a larger ignorance than the other two. Some say that D-S is equivalent to provabilities instead of probabilities. Its used to handle conflicting evidence or missing evidence.

Though I am not saying we should all use D-S now instead of probabilities. In most cases its more of a headache then its worth. But in cases where the conflicts cannot be ironed out it may help.

But in the end I agree that the term agnostic adds no information to the conversation except pergahps that the person thinks that God will remain unprovable in the future (even with the advent of increasingly better definitions.)

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nordmann wrote:Trolldom, in

Nordmann wrote:

Trolldom, in other words. As you well know. Have you nothing better to do with your time?

I think it's obvious he doesn't.

As far as his complaints about brevity... I think he has a reading problem. Or perhaps English is a second language.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

MySpace

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:treat2

HisWillness wrote:

treat2 wrote:
The gods may well be knowable according to the Agnostic.

The wishy washy Agnostic does NOT so that.

Agnostics simply say I'm not sure, given there's no way we know of to know. The Agnostic does NOT even say the gods could be knowable. They simply say we don't know.

That doesn't even mean that
the Agnostic says there might be a way to know.

The Agnostic simply says I don't know. Therefore, I'm not going to COMMIT to whether or not gods might exist / i.e. ever be knowable. Thus, the Agnostic
concludes: maybe gods exist or maybe gods don't exist. So, the Agnostic says "maybe"
because I don't know if it's true or not AND there's no way of telling whats true.

HisWillness wrote:
... does the agnostic say is possible to know?...

Answered above.

The Atheist does NOT say this. The Atheist denies the existence. Hence, the classic RRS "Agnostic Atheist" is an oxymoron.

A "Pattern"? Yeah, there are several patterns, but asking me suggests you're unaware of quite a few. Anyway, I'll leave that
for a later response from you.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
spike.barnett wrote:Nordmann

spike.barnett wrote:

Nordmann wrote:

I think it's obvious he doesn't.

As far as his complaints about brevity... I think he has a reading problem. Or perhaps English is a second language.

One pattern is from bloggers that bore the shit out of me.

Another is the number of Borg
that persistently fail at their missions, such as yorself.

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:I think it's

treat2 wrote:

One pattern is from bloggers that bore the shit out of me. Another is the number of Borg that persistently fail at their missions, such as yorself.

What exactly is my mission?

BTW, you had a spelling error in that post.

MySpace

mcap
User is offlineOffline
must be rough

All I know is it must be rough not knowing WHAT you believe in

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's theism for

That's theism for you.

Believing in that which can be rationally demonstrated, adduced or surmised gives one tremendous peace of mind however.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
mcap wrote: All I know is

mcap wrote:

All I know is it must be rough not knowing WHAT you believe in

No, that's the theist's problem: not knowing exactly what it is you're believing in.

cervello_marcio
Superfan
cervello_marcio's picture
User is offlineOffline
 What if we, for the sake

What if we, for the sake of argument, were to look at this from the angle of a naturalistic god as opposed to a supernatural one. For example, instead of using the typical standard of the Judeo-Christian god, what if were to consider a concept such as Mother Earth? Or, for that matter, any "god" really which sort of mundanely controlled the natural laws of our world without the smoke and mirrors that we often attribute to god figures. In other words, what if we're all wrong and things like the laws of chemistry that you mentioned and gravity are actively controlled by a being through natural means?

a) Would that still constitute a supernatural being?

b) Could we validate statement a?

c) Does your definition of agnosticism being irrelevant still hold true?

Just thought it would be a fun direction to take this as it's turned into a giant troll session (which seems, remarkably, to happen everywhere treat goes. hmmm...).

"Do not, as some ungracious pastors do, show me the steep and thorny way to heaven. Whiles, like a puff'd and reckless libertine, himself the primrose path of dalliance treads. And recks not his own rede."

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
cervello_marcio wrote:What

cervello_marcio wrote:
What if we, for the sake of argument, were to look at this from the angle of a naturalistic god as opposed to a supernatural one.

That's the part where it would have to start making sense in a natural setting. If I say in part one of the argument that supernaturalism is such nonsense as to make all talk of it also nonsense, then deciding that we come back to the natural world so that we can make sense means that we actually have to make sense (!) That is, once we're inside the physical, then logic will apply.

Quote:
a) Would that still constitute a supernatural being?

If we say that it's part of the natural world, then it's not supernatural. We might say that it has extraordinary powers, and that we don't know where those come from or how they work, but that would be an alien with superior technology. If we want to say that gods are aliens with superior technology, then that's different.

Quote:
b) Could we validate statement a?

We could if we could somehow detect the aliens. Following nigel's earlier suggestion of an alien we would never be able to see, then by definition, we could never validate the statement.

Quote:
c) Does your definition of agnosticism being irrelevant still hold true?

Only if we'll never be able to find what we're looking for. Gods are generally designed (subconsciously) to stay outside of possible knowledge, and as such, everyone is agnostic. There's no point in saying you can't (or don't) know something that was specifically designed to be untestable.