Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam on the verge of defeat after years of civil war

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam on the verge of defeat after years of civil war

Due to a massive Sri Lankian offensive

 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/2405347.stm

 

article wrote:

The Sri Lankan army says that there will be no more breaks in fighting against Tamil Tiger rebels as it completes manoeuvres to defeat them after years of war.

Mullaitivu, the last of the rebels' north-eastern strongholds, was taken in February preceded by the fall of Kilinochchi and rebel-held parts of the Jaffna peninsula.

The rebels now control only a small stretch of coastal land - estimated by the army to be no more than 12 sq km (5 sq m) - in the north-east of the country.

Thousands of people - troops, Tamil Tiger rebels and Tamil, Sinhalese and Muslim civilians - are estimated to have been killed since fighting escalated after 2005. Thousands more have been displaced.

 

This could be the end for what the FBI calls one of the most dangerous and deadly terrorist group in the world

 

This is also a blow to suicide terrorism seeing as the Black Tigers have been known to train other groups for suicide terrorism.

 

 

 


HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
Posts: 4100
Joined: 2008-02-21
User is offlineOffline
 Yeah, that and Toronto

 Yeah, that and Toronto gangs based on the Tigers (though it seems only by name). I'm not the Tigers' biggest fan.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence


The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
Posts: 2148
Joined: 2007-08-31
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:This is

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

This is also a blow to suicide terrorism seeing as the Black Tigers have been known to train other groups for suicide terrorism.

 

Wait... how was this bad again? I always thought Self-Defeatism was a good trait in an enemy o_O

What Would Kharn Do?


Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
Posts: 333
Joined: 2007-08-04
User is offlineOffline
I'm not sure how this is a

I'm not sure how this is a blow to suicide terrorism.  Al-Qaeda trains their own, and it looks like they are training insurgents in Afghanistan and Pakistan now.  I don't know about the Tamil Tigers, but Al-Qaeda uses a back-up system in case their bomber get some sense in their heads and simply use a remote detonation device.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
Bulldog wrote:I'm not sure

Bulldog wrote:

I'm not sure how this is a blow to suicide terrorism.  Al-Qaeda trains their own, and it looks like they are training insurgents in Afghanistan and Pakistan now.  I don't know about the Tamil Tigers, but Al-Qaeda uses a back-up system in case their bomber get some sense in their heads and simply use a remote detonation device.

 

Actually, they have trained Lebanese and Palastanian groups, and there were allegations that they were working with Al Qaeda.

 

 

 

 

 


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
Looks like it's

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
Sri Lanka can eliminate the

Sri Lanka can eliminate the Tigers with military force about as easily as they could eliminate everyone who's favorite color is blue with military force.

I'm not at all opposed to blowing away radically violent terrorist organizations; however, the global military community simply seems unable to get it's head around the concept of an organization that does not function as a static enemy entity. The Tigers (and groups like Al-Qaeda) are fluid ideologies - they aren't bound to a centralized syndicate structure. It's sort of like movement (much more violent) group like Anonymous: there are central movers and shakers, but at the end of the day, the movement will continue on long after there are no more 4channers kicking around because anyone can just put on a Guy Fawkes mask and declare themselves part of anonymous. Similarly, anyone can throw a home made bomb at an Israeli and declare themselves part of the Al Qaeda movement or shoot a government official in SA and call themselves a Tiger.

You can't beat a group like that with guns and bullets. Even if you kill every single currently existing member today, tomorrow someone else might decide that they like the idea and run with it. People should be thinking in terms of what brought down groups like the KKK rather than old school military action.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Sri

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Sri Lanka can eliminate the Tigers with military force about as easily as they could eliminate everyone who's favorite color is blue with military force.

I'm not at all opposed to blowing away radically violent terrorist organizations; however, the global military community simply seems unable to get it's head around the concept of an organization that does not function as a static enemy entity. The Tigers (and groups like Al-Qaeda) are fluid ideologies - they aren't bound to a centralized syndicate structure. It's sort of like movement (much more violent) group like Anonymous: there are central movers and shakers, but at the end of the day, the movement will continue on long after there are no more 4channers kicking around because anyone can just put on a Guy Fawkes mask and declare themselves part of anonymous. Similarly, anyone can throw a home made bomb at an Israeli and declare themselves part of the Al Qaeda movement or shoot a government official in SA and call themselves a Tiger.

You can't beat a group like that with guns and bullets. Even if you kill every single currently existing member today, tomorrow someone else might decide that they like the idea and run with it. People should be thinking in terms of what brought down groups like the KKK rather than old school military action.

 

While they may not get rid of the idea of an independent Tamil state, it discourages the method of which to achieve it.