Inherit the wind

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Inherit the wind

I just turned on the boob tube an a really good movie is on PBS ch.12 until 10:00 pm ,it 's the Scopes monkey trial,Inherit the Wind.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I don't pay for cable

Well, I don't pay for cable and have pretty much never been able to get more than a station or two from an antenna.  With the internet being what it is, I don't much miss out on anything but even before the internet, I did that.  Even so, there are four versions of the movie.  Which one are you watching?

1960: Spencer Tracey as Henry Drummond. Fredric March as Matthew Harrison Brady.

1965: Melvyn Douglas as Henry Drummond. Ed Begley as Matthew Harrison Brady.

1988: Jason Robards as Henry Drummond. Kirk Douglas as Matthew Harrison Brady.

1999: Jack Lemmon as Henry Drummond. George C. Scott as Matthew Harrison Brady.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
1960 version

The 1960 version with Spencer Tracy and Fredric March and Gene Kelly.I was not aware that there are other versions. It really points out the ignorance of so many people,and just think we had a smaller version of this ignorance a few years ago in Dover,Pa.  

Signature ? How ?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Great versions all - I was

Great versions all - I was privileged enough to do the play at a community theatre where I used to live.

Local churches picketed the run. Our director's attitude?

"Let them continue. They're selling tickets for us - they just don't know it."

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Rabidtreeweasel
User is offlineOffline
There is some good reading

There is some good reading on the trial this work is based on.  While the play is very good, it does take certain liberties, as with The Crucible.  A very well written play, and the trial testimonies are pretty much left in tact.  Only the motivations of some of the participants are altered for dramatic effect.  There's a good video, produced by the town, called Inherit the Truth, a faithful documentary of the events leading up to the trial.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Rabidtreeweasel wrot that

there is some good reading on the story The Crucible(whats the name of the book?)and then you tell me about a good documentary called Inherit the Truth(where can I see this ? is there a link that you can give me?) I'll have to check them out.Thanks for the info.   

Signature ? How ?

Rabidtreeweasel
User is offlineOffline
Oh, sorry, I  mispoke!  I

Oh, sorry, I  mispoke!  I was comparing Inherit the Wind to the Crucible; both plays based on historical events that take dramatic liberties.

I don't know if you can view it online, but here's the link to the main website.  It's actually produced by Bryan College, which is a Christian school (so take it with a BIG grain of salt).  However, I have to admit, they take a fairly even handed approach.  I found it interesting for the historical context (for example, the teacher who was tried presented a lecture after having stated publicly that he intended to force the state to prosecute, or over turn the law.)

Perhaps the best source of information is here:  http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/scopes/scopesvideo.html

These are the original source videos of the trial.  If you're going to watch Inherit the Truth, or Inherit the Wind, watch these first.  It gives you a good idea of where the playwrite took liberties, and of where the christians twisted scope's words.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the Link

but there is no volume,at least on my computer ? is there something that I should hit on the RealPlayer ?  

Signature ? How ?