Need Further Explanation

Autolycus
User is offlineOffline
Need Further Explanation

This is my first post on this site and I do not wish to get into a debate about anything. I am an atheist but there are some things that, in my mind (not saying I'm correct) could justify some sort of god and I would like to get them cleared up. Any insight on this topic would be appreciated. If this topic has been discussed before I apologise..

As far as I understand, random in the natural world does not exist. (please correct me if im wrong) As far as programming is concerned no one has ever created a function that could generate a truly random outcome, its all pseudo-random (last I heard). Eveything that happens, even your decisions are predetermined or based on events that had happened previously.

So, if, for sake of argument we assume there is a beginning  (I understand that overwhelming evidence dictates that matter & energy cannot be created or destroyed and it is likely that the universe has always existed. But without getting into massive speculation or god of the gaps I think that it might be possible that at the beginning of the universe our overwhelming evidence may not apply due to the conditions being  different enough in some manner to allow a beginning to be possible.) then I would conclude that it would be possible that our existence has been predetermined and thus allowing for a being with the proper facilities to be able to know everything that is and will happen based on how everything started.

However, having said all that, none of that proves that there is a god but merely presents a possibility of how a being may have some of the attributes of god.

Side Note* Consider this: If we could see our own future the the whole A determines B concept would probably fall apart and maybe thats why there is no evidence of a god. (this is just speculation on my part)

Ok guys thats all I wanted to say, please put some of this in better perspective for me.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well I think I'll let

Well I think I'll let Hambydammit or deludedgod field this one. I believe they both have posts covering this that they will want to point to. I could make some corrections, but I think you'd be better served by someone with a greater background in the field.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

pettman
User is offlineOffline
Unless I am mistaken, the

Unless I am mistaken, the direction in which a photon is emitted from an excited atom is completely random, and so is the time at which it will be emitted. Then we have got Heisenberg's uncertainty principle stating that, for instance, both the momentum and position of a particle (such as an electron) cannot be known exactly (the product of the uncertainties is Planck's constant divided with two pi or something like that).

These examples comes from quantum physics, in the macroscopic world I cannot come up with any good examples of truely random events.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Random" is a fuzzy concept.

"Random" is a fuzzy concept. There are stochastic processes, which for all intents and purposes are random (such as weather). Then there are the things that may or may not be truly random, such as quantum events (we have no evidence to indicate whether or not planck-scale processes are random, or stochastic).

As for a being that created the universe and set it in motion such that it would turn out you and me: the being would have to be greater than the universe itself to be able to include all the information necessary to determine an arbitrary state of the universe. You would need to be able to process all the information in the universe (which is a lot) simply to predict a future state of the universe. The information processing requirement for setting up initial conditions such that a desired state will occur is orders of magnitude greater.

So, while it is possible in the strictest sense of the word, it is orders of magnitude more probable that the universe simply exists with no pre-planning.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Ivon
atheist
Ivon's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:As for a

nigelTheBold wrote:

As for a being that created the universe and set it in motion such that it would turn out you and me: the being would have to be greater than the universe itself to be able to include all the information necessary to determine an arbitrary state of the universe.

I don't think that's true, It's like saying that a scientist who created a nuclear explosion would have to be greater than the explosion. It doesn't take much to set things in motion. I'm not saying that we may have come from some alien chemistry set, or that we're an out of control weed garden, but the idea that a creator HAS to be more powerful than his creation has always boggled me. If anything we're just one big butterfly effect?

Free your mind.

Autolycus
User is offlineOffline
Random is really fuzzy

nigelTheBold wrote:

"Random" is a fuzzy concept. There are stochastic processes, which for all intents and purposes are random (such as weather). Then there are the things that may or may not be truly random, such as quantum events (we have no evidence to indicate whether or not planck-scale processes are random, or stochastic).

One thing that came to me from this discussion is how closely the concept of random resembles the concept of magic. Something that is completely random has no cause and no reason for its outcome over at least one other possible outcome ( so the outcome that occurred did so based on nothing). This line of thinking leans towards the "unknowable" side of the universe that god lives on and I think is a concept that might limit us.

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
What would be the purpose of

What would be the purpose of calling it god? If it has no rhyme or reason (random) for said actions how can you conclude it might be intelligent?  What factors do you use to determine intelligence over non intelligence?  Can you please define magic?

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Autolycus wrote:One thing

Autolycus wrote:
One thing that came to me from this discussion is how closely the concept of random resembles the concept of magic. Something that is completely random has no cause and no reason for its outcome over at least one other possible outcome ( so the outcome that occurred did so based on nothing). This line of thinking leans towards the "unknowable" side of the universe that god lives on and I think is a concept that might limit us.

The thing about the 'unknowable' is that it is indistinguishable from the merely 'unknown'. There is no justification for someone to say that they 'know' that something is 'unknowable', rather than merely 'unknown'. And so it is with randomness in the universe. There is no way to know for sure whether this universe has completely random elements or not. It could be random, or it could simply be an unknown mechanism that appears to us to be random because it is unpredictable.

We'll never know for sure.

And you know what, it doesn't even really matter. I'm personally comfortable with the universe containing randomness or the universe being strictly determined. They both appear to be the exact same thing to us. If the universe is strictly determined, it doesn't matter because I still cannot know the future to 100% certainty. If the universe contains random elements, then it doesn't matter because I can still make *some* predictions about the future with *some* degree of certainty.

The universe is not purely chaotic, and neither is it purely ordered. It is chaordic. We are living in a mix of Chaos and Cosmos. Call it the Chaosmos.

When it comes down to it, we live just fine in our universe, regardless of what its fundamental structure is. We can't know everything, be we *can* know some things. The unknown exists, but it is not unknowable. We can wonder and learn and discover, and put what we learn to good use.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Autolycus
User is offlineOffline
Random is really really fuzzy

Magus wrote:

What would be the purpose of calling it god? If it has no rhyme or reason (random) for said actions how can you conclude it might be intelligent?  What factors do you use to determine intelligence over non intelligence?  Can you please define magic?

Ok, I may not have been as clear as I would have liked there. My definition of random in this instance is the same as at www.dictionary.com  1.proceeding, made, or occurring without definite aim, reason, or pattern. Therefore for anyone to find something to be truely random they would have to prove that it has no aim, reason or pattern (Flipping a coin is not random because it lands based on the way you flipped it. It is pseudo-random.). If such a thing were proven to have no aim, reason or pattern it would then fall under the category of unexplainable. It is at this point where I have intended to make the comparison between random and the "god of the gaps" argument as both filling the gaps of the currently unexplained when they shouldnt. (please disregard my magic comment, I do not wish to define it.) I had also no intent to suggest that randomness was god or intelligent.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ivon wrote:nigelTheBold

Ivon wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

As for a being that created the universe and set it in motion such that it would turn out you and me: the being would have to be greater than the universe itself to be able to include all the information necessary to determine an arbitrary state of the universe.

I don't think that's true, It's like saying that a scientist who created a nuclear explosion would have to be greater than the explosion. It doesn't take much to set things in motion. I'm not saying that we may have come from some alien chemistry set, or that we're an out of control weed garden, but the idea that a creator HAS to be more powerful than his creation has always boggled me. If anything we're just one big butterfly effect?

Sorry, I should have been more clear: when I said "that it would turn out you and me," I meant the original poster and me specifically; that is, this exact universe. A scientist can create a nuclear blast, but he cannot create a nuclear blast such that it moves two motes of dust exactly as he wants them. A god could conceivably create a universe in which matter and energy interact in a very specific way, but to pre-determine the outcome of the universe for a specific desired outcome would require calculating every potential interaction.

If you consider the universe as a giant quantum computer perpetually computing its state, you can see that the only way to calculate the next state is to use a quantum computer that exactly resembles the universe. So by "greater" I mean in an information-processing sense, not in a "power" sense such as a scientist vis-a-vis an atomic bomb.

I was completely and utterly unclear in that regard. Sorry about that.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Ok, I may not have

Quote:
Ok, I may not have been as clear as I would have liked there. My definition of random in this instance is the same as at www.dictionary.com  1.proceeding, made, or occurring without definite aim, reason, or pattern. 

You're mixing apples and oranges.  Actually, in logic parlance, you're creating an equivocation.  That's causing you to make several more errors.  Ok, first, randomness has a very precise scientific meaning, and it is most definitely not the one you're using.  Natural's explanation is good.  Go back and reread that if you want.  Next, you're using a colloquial definition to try to prove a philosophical point.  To say that a person is acting in a "random" way is to say that he apparently has no purpose.  This is fine, if we're talking about why he chose coffee instead of tea at lunch, but it's no good for talking about the beginnings of the universe.  "Purpose" demands intent, and intent demands consciousness.  (This can go way off the deep end really fast, so I'm keeping it simple at first.  Once you get this part, we can get to something more complicated.)  To say in your context that the universe is random is to say that it is without purpose, and this appears, by all accounts to be true.  

In order for the universe to be driven by purpose, something more complex than the infant universe had to exist.  This thing had to have consciousness, but there's a problem.  Consciousness is dependent on the material universe... so... if the material universe didn't exist, neither did consciousness.  If you want to describe consciousness as anything other than dependent on the material universe, you're not really talking about consciousness anymore.  You're talking about... something else.

So... what is it?  (other-consciousness, that is)

Think about it for a minute.  Consciousness is awareness of and interaction with the material universe.  If there's no material universe, what is consciousness?

So, to suggest a conscious thing predating the universe (of course, time is a real issue before the universe too, but I'll let one of our cosmology geeks handle that) you must suggest a {UNKNOWN noun} {UNKNOWN verb} {UNKNOWN qualifier} the universe.  You see?  The only thing you can define is the universe, which we recognize as not displaying any sense of purpose, but rather following the physical laws with 100% accuracy.  In a very real way, speaking of purpose before the universe is just complete nonsense -- not in the perjorative sense, but it literally contains no sensible information.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Autolycus
User is offlineOffline
Wow, ok there is alot I want

Wow, ok there is alot I want to say here. The first thing I want to say is thank you for your input on this matter and please don't think of me as ungrateful as I question some of your response. I know you put more time than you had to into this to provide some answers and I appreciate all of it.

OK, now having said that I just want to say that I wish a large part of the problem with my position wasn't that I found a poor definition of random. I have had a definition in my mind longer than when I got the reference from dictionary.com. (I just felt it would be better having something solid to work with rather than something I made up.) All I can say is that something being completely random in my view has nothing to do with arbitrarily choosing tee or coffee. This is "pseudo-random" for lack of a better term, meaning that there is some reason tea was chosen over coffee or vice versa and it only resembles randomness to an outside observer because the observer doesnt know the reason behind the choice. Pseudo-randomness is not part of my initial intent on this topic.

At this point I would like to say that I agree with pretty much everything Natural said especially the first paragraph. The only thing I dont agree with is when he said "The thing about the 'unknowable' is that it is indistinguishable from the merely 'unknown'. There is no justification for someone to say that they 'know' that something is 'unknowable', rather than merely 'unknown'. And so it is with randomness in the universe."(which implies that random is unknowable) then saying  "The unknown exists, but it is not unknowable." and then also saying in his post that random could exist. How, if random is unknowable and the unknown is not unknowable could random or the unknowable exist?

Side Note* I would love to see an actual scientific definition of random I will work with it , i don't want to create ans equivocation.

Allright, now we get to:

Hambydammit wrote:

"Purpose" demands intent, and intent demands consciousness.  (This can go way off the deep end really fast, so I'm keeping it simple at first.  Once you get this part, we can get to something more complicated.)  To say in your context that the universe is random is to say that it is without purpose, and this appears, by all accounts to be true.  

In order for the universe to be driven by purpose, something more complex than the infant universe had to exist.  This thing had to have consciousness, but there's a problem.  Consciousness is dependent on the material universe... so... if the material universe didn't exist, neither did consciousness.  If you want to describe consciousness as anything other than dependent on the material universe, you're not really talking about consciousness anymore.  You're talking about... something else.

I think in this case, you are also creating an equivocation with the word purpose. Purpose in one form demands intent but when you say "without purpose" while talking about random it does not. Random is not only the lack of intent but the lack of reason whether there was intent or not. If a meterorite crashes into your house. Was there intent? No. Was it random? No.

As for the conciousness part of your post I dont necessarily agree because the unknown is not unknowable as it were. However I am not a fan of believing in magic fairy lands or Never Never land or any other complete fabrication or going quite that far with the speculation.

Another thing I think I should clear up is my own quote "then I would conclude that it would be possible that our existence has been predetermined and thus allowing for a being with the proper facilities to be able to know everything that is and will happen based on how everything started."  I dont like how I used predetermined here however if the No-Random theory is true then if there was a beginning to the universe I guess something would have had to cause the start, conscious or not. Although, I do think the No-random theory makes it more plausable that the universe has always existed based on not having to make up a magic fairy land. 

I would like to conclude with saying that I think it still would be possible for someone to know everything that is and will happen if you have the proper facility (which would be pretty major) if you know everything at any prior given point in time. It would just be alot easier if there were a beginning. And the same being would not have to have done any creating.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Autolycus wrote:The only

Autolycus wrote:

The only thing I dont agree with is when he said "The thing about the 'unknowable' is that it is indistinguishable from the merely 'unknown'. There is no justification for someone to say that they 'know' that something is 'unknowable', rather than merely 'unknown'. And so it is with randomness in the universe."(which implies that random is unknowable) then saying  "The unknown exists, but it is not unknowable." and then also saying in his post that random could exist. How, if random is unknowable and the unknown is not unknowable could random or the unknowable exist?

a) The universe may or may not contain unknowable elements. This is unknown, and there is no known way to know whether 'the unknowable' exists.

b) The universe may or may not contain random elements. This is unknown, and there is no known way to know whether 'true randomness' exists.

c) There is no known justification for anyone to claim that they know whether there are true unknowns or true randomness.

This is what I meant by "And so it is with randomness in the universe." I meant that they are analogous situations.

Next:

d) The unknown does exist. There are things about the universe that are currently unknown.

e) Not all of the unknown is unknowable. We are constantly learning and discovering all the time; if all of the unknown was unknowable, we could never learn anything.

f) It is unknown whether there is anything that is unknowable. This is the same as a).

g) Given e) and f), and taking into account Occam's Razor, there is no justification for believing that any portion of the unknown is unknowable.

h) Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that the unknown exists, but is not unknowable.

This is what I meant by "The unknown exists, but it is not unknowable." We are justified in believing that it is possible to know any particular unknown at some point in the future. (This is another way of saying "Don't give up your search for knowledge just because someone says something might be unknowable.&quotEye-wink

Next:

i) While it is justified in believing that the unknown is not unknowable, we must accept the fact that we may be wrong. Occam's Razor is a principle of induction, not deduction. A scientist always reserves the possibility that a well-tested theory might some day be proven wrong.

Therefore, in answer of your question, "How, if random is unknowable and the unknown is not unknowable could random or the unknowable exist?" I hope I have made things more clear. The answer is: We simply do not know if the unknowable or true randomness exist, but we are justified in assuming they do not, for the reason of Occam's Razor, and for the purpose of continued pursuit of knowledge and understanding. If one day we somehow find out we were wrong and the unknowable or truly random exist, then at least we learned as much as we could and came to the final realization that there are some things that cannot be known and/or predicted.

Like I said, I am comfortable either way. However, I have met *several* people who have this wild notion that most things are unknowable, and therefore there's no point in pursuing knowledge. The reason I've developed this argument so thoroughly is to counter this notion. Plus, it makes for an inspirational perspective for rationalists. Smiling

Quote:
Side Note* I would love to see an actual scientific definition of random I will work with it , i don't want to create ans equivocation.

I think the closest you will get is unpredictability. I don't think science currently has a way of distinguishing the truly random from the merely unknown and super-complex pseudo-random. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective), unpredictability is not the same thing as truly random, but that's all science can deal with. The foundation of science is prediction.

(I will make an aside in anticipation of likely objections: I currently do not believe it is possible to know everything (in principle), and therefore you could say that since we'll never know everything, there will always be *something* that is unknowable. However, I'm more talking about 'unknowable in principle'. Something that we never learn is not unknowable *in principle*, it is only unknown. Had we chosen differently, we might have come to know it. This also answers the objection of the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle. While our current best guess is that it's not possible to know both the position and the momentum of an electron, we *can* know one or the other to an arbitrary precision. It's a matter of which one is more important to us. Furthermore, this is assuming that QM is never overturned some time in the future. It is possible that we may at some future time discover that it *is* possible to know both the position and momentum of an electron. The point of my argument is not about our current state of knowledge; it is about our continued *pursuit* of knowledge. While we may never know *everything*, we can, in principle, know any particular thing we choose to study. It's a matter of trade-offs. Much like life: You'll never be the good at everything, but that's no reason not to pursue excellence in one or a few things while you're alive.)

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Autolycus wrote:

This is my first post on this site and I do not wish to get into a debate about anything. I am an atheist but there are some things that, in my mind (not saying I'm correct) could justify some sort of god and I would like to get them cleared up. Any insight on this topic would be appreciated. If this topic has been discussed before I apologise..

What could exist has no relation to what does exist. This is a variation upon 'prove there is no god' which is the prove a negative fallacy or whatever its real name is. It assumes that for which there is no physical evidence can exist and one must show it does not exist by addressing no evidence.

Autolycus wrote:
As far as I understand, random in the natural world does not exist. (please correct me if im wrong) As far as programming is concerned no one has ever created a function that could generate a truly random outcome, its all pseudo-random (last I heard). Eveything that happens, even your decisions are predetermined or based on events that had happened previously.

Random does exist in the real world. What we cannot do is generate random events ourselves. We get them from measurements such as of radioactive decay or cosmic rays. All this means is that random data cannot be generated by deterministic methods and that all of our methods are deterministic. It works both ways. Random events cannot produce deterministic results either. For our free energy believers you can't make ambient temperature do work.

Autolycus wrote:
So, if, for sake of argument we assume there is a beginning  (I understand that overwhelming evidence dictates that matter & energy cannot be created or destroyed and it is likely that the universe has always existed. But without getting into massive speculation or god of the gaps I think that it might be possible that at the beginning of the universe our overwhelming evidence may not apply due to the conditions being  different enough in some manner to allow a beginning to be possible.) then I would conclude that it would be possible that our existence has been predetermined and thus allowing for a being with the proper facilities to be able to know everything that is and will happen based on how everything started.
One small leap for a man, one huge leap for all illogic kind. To summarize your position, it is possible to imagine but not describe conditions under which and imaginary but undescribed being could exist. Anyone can do that.
Autolycus wrote:
However, having said all that, none of that proves that there is a god but merely presents a possibility of how a being may have some of the attributes of god.

Please define these attribute such that we can rationally discuss them. You appear to be going after 'all knowing" as the attribute. That would be an attribute independent of everything which came into existence at bang time. Every thing which exists has more than one attribute, more than one descriptor. Those descriptors must also be stored on something which exists. Then all the descriptors of each data storage item must also be stored on something and all the descriptors of those must also be stored ad infinitum. All descriptions must be incomplete and massively so. You can't have an omni-everything kind of masturbatory god that enthralled monks so long ago.

Autolycus wrote:
Side Note* Consider this: If we could see our own future the the whole A determines B concept would probably fall apart and maybe thats why there is no evidence of a god. (this is just speculation on my part)

Ok guys thats all I wanted to say, please put some of this in better perspective for me.

If you will settle for a more reasonable type of god such as one that just deals in luck you can have one of those under your approach. Your problem still is the absense of physical evidence for such a god or any kind of god for that matter. What one can imagine is never more than a case study in the individual's imagination.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:I think in this

Quote:
I think in this case, you are also creating an equivocation with the word purpose. Purpose in one form demands intent but when you say "without purpose" while talking about random it does not. Random is not only the lack of intent but the lack of reason whether there was intent or not. If a meterorite crashes into your house. Was there intent? No. Was it random? No.

Random, in a mathematical sense, may or may not be possible.  (Hasn't someone else already explained this to you in this very thread?)  The thing is, we will never be able to know for certain -- that much is certain.  You need to get the idea of mathematically random out of your head.  It isn't relevant to the conversation.

Reason and purpose are completely different in this context.  If you don't think they are, then you need to backtrack and define your terms more carefully.  "Reason" as you are using it means "cause."  Gravity is the cause of my chair sticking to the floor.  "Purpose" as you are using it is the conscious intent to cause.  I have the purpose of sitting in my chair, but gravity has no purpose in holding both me and the chair to the earth.

If you want to get into a discussion with a quantum physicist over the idea of cause on a quantum level, feel free.  I'm not your guy, but kiddo, you're not your guy either.  Deludedgod is probably the only person here qualified to begin to talk about this sort of thing.  If you haven't got a bunch of degrees in physics, you are simply not qualified to talk about quantum physics, and anything you think you know about it is irrelevant to the conversation.  Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it gets tiresome listening to people make pronouncements about things of which they haven't the slightest clue.

Quote:
As for the conciousness part of your post I dont necessarily agree because the unknown is not unknowable as it were. However I am not a fan of believing in magic fairy lands or Never Never land or any other complete fabrication or going quite that far with the speculation.

Are you appealing to the unknown to deny the known?  If so, you can take that nonsense elsewhere.  If you want to start allowing the possibility of the unknown to invalidate any conclusion, then you have to admit that knowledge is impossible.  If that is true, why are we conversing?

Quote:
I dont like how I used predetermined here however if the No-Random theory is true then if there was a beginning to the universe I guess something would have had to cause the start, conscious or not. Although, I do think the No-random theory makes it more plausable that the universe has always existed based on not having to make up a magic fairy land.

I'd like to encourage you to do a little reading on stochastic processes.  You seem to be hung up on random when it simply isn't that much of an issue.  Regardless of whether there is a true "mathematical random," stochastic processes work, and are... curiously enough... predictable.

To get to the heart of what I think is your problem, I don't think you've got a proper sense of scale here.  Assuming for a moment that the universe is deterministic -- that is, once it was set in motion, with enough information and the correct algorithms, one could successfully predict every event in the universe for all time until the complete heat death of the universe, we can make a couple of observations.  The information requirements for predicting something extremely simple (in comparison to the universe) like what my next action will be after concluding this post -- with 100% accuracy -- are astronomically staggering.  It's quite possible that you would need more computing power than has ever existed in all the computers on earth.  

Now, at first glance, this might not seem like a big deal, but consider that information doesn't process itself.  In order to make the calculation of my next action, you must have a computer.  Computers take energy.  If all the energy in the universe is conserved (and it is) where's the energy coming from to make the computation?  After you consider that computing power beyond all earthly capability would be required to predict my next twenty minutes with certainty, consider that there are trillions of trillions of organisms on the planet at this instant.  There have been quadrillions of quadrillions of quadrillions of organisms on earth, and each one requires a ton of computing power to predict. Once you're done with earth, consider that there might be billions of planets with life.  Then, consider that you've only predicted life.  You haven't dealt with the individual motion of subatomic particles in stars.

Each virtually instantaneous prediction is going to require information many, many orders higher than the action itself.  For an entity to exist and have the capability to predict the universe with certainty would require an unimaginably huge amount of information and energy.

In other words, even if there really isn't "random," the practical limitation of computational power makes it, for every conceivable purpose, equivalent to random.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Incidentally, after

Incidentally, after hitting "post comment," I heard my phone produce the "new text message" sound, backed my chair up, rolled over a cord, shuffled a little to get the cord free of the wheels, scratched my neck, picked up the phone with my left hand because of the angle my chair had put me with regard to my phone, fumbled slightly with the opening mechanism, and then opened my phone.  Consider that all of this is dependent on complete and total information regarding the person who sent me the text message, as well as a staggering amount of information about the inanimate objects in my room, which were placed in their various places either by me, or my cat, or my girlfriend, or the movers who brought my desk in six years ago...

Books about atheism

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Incidentally, after hitting "post comment," I heard my phone produce the "new text message" sound, backed my chair up, rolled over a cord, shuffled a little to get the cord free of the wheels, scratched my neck, picked up the phone with my left hand because of the angle my chair had put me with regard to my phone, fumbled slightly with the opening mechanism, and then opened my phone.  Consider that all of this is dependent on complete and total information regarding the person who sent me the text message, as well as a staggering amount of information about the inanimate objects in my room, which were placed in their various places either by me, or my cat, or my girlfriend, or the movers who brought my desk in six years ago...

Yunno, I was doing fine right up until you said this. I mean, I get it, it makes perfect sense, but then I took a moment to imagine the number of individual processed that go into a couple of minutes of activity. I would swear I heard my brain make an audible *pop*

As a side note, your last couple of posts went a long way in describing nigel's explanation of how "big" a god would have to be in order to control/predict the entirety of the universe.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 This concept ought to be

This concept ought to be the death knell for any natural god.  The energy expenditures necessary to comprehend the universe with anything approaching "ultimate knowledge" are so immense that words like "astronomical" seem infinitesimally insufficient to the task of describing them.

And that's just comprehension, and speaks nothing of interaction.

Even with the concept of the multiverse, this seems to be a coup de gras.  Doesn't each universe have to maintain itself?  From whence does this energy, perhaps thousands of orders of magnitude higher than the energy in a universe, come?  It can't come from another universe, unless that universe has energy to spare.  If that's so... why?  How?

Furthermore, what possible explanation could we come up with for a naturally occuring being existing... somewhere... and consuming universes worth of energy to predict a universe with a trillion gallaxies with a trillion planets, with one tiny planet, with one tiny little part of its history having an intelligent ape...

It's so absurd as to make the brain go pop.

Books about atheism