In the name of Atheism?

ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
User is offlineOffline
In the name of Atheism?

Of some reason I cringed when I read that in the title of the forum. Science H. Logic!

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
ZuS

Nice chest !!!!   What side of the canoe do you paddle on?????????????

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

Nice chest !!!!   What side of the canoe do you paddle on?????????????

My guess is the gay side. I didn't even know there was a gay side to a canoe until that avatar. That avatar definitely represents the gay side of a canoe.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
User is offlineOffline
I thought my imature posts

I thought my imature posts would be proof enough that I am on the "straight" side of the canoe. maybe I need to sound more sexually frustrated for that to be believable, huh?

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
ZuS wrote:I thought my

ZuS wrote:

I thought my imature posts would be proof enough that I am on the "straight" side of the canoe. maybe I need to sound more sexually frustrated for that to be believable, huh?

Maybe an avatar that didn't scream "gay personals ad". Cuz while you may not have seen a gay personals ad, that's what they look like.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Awelton85
Superfan
Awelton85's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have no idea what in the

I have no idea what in the hell the op was talking about, but will discovering the gay side of the canoe was the funniest thing I have heard all year. If the quote function would work on my iPhone, that would be in my sig.

Any bored mods who could put that in for me would be my hero.

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence." - Bertrand Russell

Stewie: Yay and God said to Abraham, "you will kill your son, Issak", and Abraham said, I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

jessicarney
jessicarney's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Well, we learned two

Well, we learned two things today. Apparently Zus is a gay canoeist(?) and Willie (or wont he?) trolls gay want ads

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
WHAT?!?!?!?

ZuS is not gay?

Damn.  You got my hopes up for nothing.

Conor

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
jessicarney wrote: Well, we

jessicarney wrote:

Well, we learned two things today. Apparently Zus is a gay canoeist(?) and Willie (or wont he?) trolls gay want ads

It's practically a second job. Gay personals. All day.

Actually, my friend Steve showed me the consistency in the want ads. I was taking pictures of myself getting back into shape to see if there was any difference, and Steve said, "wow, those look just like gay personals pictures". Then he showed me about a thousand ZuS profiles.

"Check this guy out, he even posed with a kitten!"

"I thought gay guys didn't like pussy"

Bah-dum-bum.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Conor Wilson wrote:ZuS is

Conor Wilson wrote:

ZuS is not gay?

See?

C'mon, Conor, how much does that picture look like a gay personals profile pic?

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote: "Check

HisWillness wrote:

Bah-dum-bum.

/me golf claps

ahaha... Frightfully wiity... Smiling

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:

"C'mon, Conor, how much does that picture look like a gay personals profile pic?"

Me: You know...I was all set to respond.

Conor

ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness

HisWillness wrote:

jessicarney wrote:

It's practically a second job. Gay personals. All day.

Actually, my friend Steve showed me the consistency in the want ads. I was taking pictures of myself getting back into shape to see if there was any difference, and Steve said, "wow, those look just like gay personals pictures". Then he showed me about a thousand ZuS profiles.

Bah-dum-bum.

Well, I just sat down and looked through my first set of gay personal adds and I must admit some pictures do look like my 2-month-checkups. So now I can claim my security in my sexuality by not removing the pic and maintaining that I am straight. And that I can do 39 pullups in one set.

Btw, HisWillness, how often does your friend look at gay personal adds?

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
ZuS wrote:Btw, HisWillness,

ZuS wrote:

Well, he's married now (to another guy named Steve - I shit you not). So probably not at all any more.

I was just giving you a hard time anyway. Jeffrick's enthusiastic response to your chest was hilarious, so I had to go with it.

39 pull-ups is impressive. It's a little Taxi Driver, but it's impressive. I think I've only done 20 to a set, but I've never tried doing more. No ambition, I guess.

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
straight talk

HisWillness wrote:

ZuS wrote:

Well, he's married now (to another guy named Steve - I shit you not). So probably not at all any more.

I was just giving you a hard time anyway. Jeffrick's enthusiastic response to your chest was hilarious, so I had to go with it.

39 pull-ups is impressive. It's a little Taxi Driver, but it's impressive. I think I've only done 20 to a set, but I've never tried doing more. No ambition, I guess.

I'm straight as an arrow;  happily married (for the third time)  to Sally (Kamalawattie) for over twenty years. Yet that avatar looked so good I started wondering what side of the canoe I paddled on. 

Your cute to Willie,   *winks* .

ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:ZuS

HisWillness wrote:

ZuS wrote:

Dude, for me 39 is THE roof. I can not do 40 if m life depended on it. Sometimes I play counter-strike, I charge every round with an ingram and do as many pullups as I can every time I die. I have my own business on which I can sit on my ass for 12 hours at a time at night. It's not unknown for me to play CS 6 hours at a time. 39 is unmoveable.

Bah, I don't do married guys

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
ZuS wrote:

"Bah, I don't do married guys"

Me: I'm single.  No, really...I'm single.

BTW, where did you get the handle "ZuS" from?

Conor

ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
User is offlineOffline
Conor Wilson wrote:"Bah, I

Conor Wilson wrote:

"Bah, I don't do married guys"

Me: I'm single.  No, really...I'm single.

BTW, where did you get the handle "ZuS" from?

Conor

That with men was a joke, you know - I  don't do 'married men' because they are a subset of 'men', not because they are a subset of 'married'. Although I can be cheated by a Spanish lady-boys, that was pretty embarrassing.

ZuS is just a palindrome and visually nearly symmetric version of Zeus. Double symmetry. ZOS would be more symmetric: vertically, horizontally, and diagonally and is a palindrome. But then it's not Zeus and the first three are spatial symmetry only. Notice palindrome and horizontal symmetry reinforce one another in direction and the spatial symmetries don't, that becomes more chaotic. I think about these things when I'm alone.

Of course, it also means 'sister' in Dutch, which I am periodically reminded of by random assholes. Then I tease them until they become furious and not even their own mom can take them seriously. Don't fall for it!

Awelton85
Superfan
Awelton85's picture
User is offlineOffline
8008 is very symmetrical. If

8008 is very symmetrical. If you punch this number in a calculator it looks like "BOOB". Are you starting to see the picture, sis?

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence." - Bertrand Russell

Stewie: Yay and God said to Abraham, "you will kill your son, Issak", and Abraham said, I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
ZuS wrote:

"That with men was a joke, you know"

Me:  Of course it was.  So was my "I'm single" remark.  And thanks for the explanation of your handle.

Conor

ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
User is offlineOffline
Awelton85 wrote:8008 is very

Awelton85 wrote:
8008 is very symmetrical. If you punch this number in a calculator it looks like "BOOB". Are you starting to see the picture, sis?

manwhore

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
ZuS writing to Awelton85, wrote"

"manwhore"

Me: HEY! I'M THE "MANWHORE" AROUND HERE, PAL!

Oh, wait...

...that wasn't a compliment, was it?

Oops.

Never mind.

Conor

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Interesting.I'm not the only

Interesting.

I'm not the only gay in the village. 

Also, Will, if I ever find you in Toronto... well, I won't spoil my surprise.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
As if I didn't have enough

As if I didn't have enough reasons to stay away from that cess pool. Sticking out tongue

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:

"Interesting.

I'm not the only gay in the village. "

Me: I thought that I had been rather open.  Hmmm...maybe I need a better agent?

Conor

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
This thread reminds me of

This thread reminds me of the time I almost wrecked my car on 95 S because the three guys in the SUV next to me all had their shirts off.

To answer the original question, I do somewhat agree.  The point is more about doing something *not* in the name of God as opposed to doing something specifically because you're an atheist.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy

Thomathy wrote:

Interesting.

I'm not the only gay in the village. 

Also, Will, if I ever find you in Toronto... well, I won't spoil my surprise.

But first you have to find me!

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
True.  To make it fair

True.  To make it fair you'll have to give me a hint.  I don't think my odds are good against the millions.  Let's start with a neighbourhood?

And Zus, you'd have a very nice gay personals ad if you ever cared to.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Conor Wilson

Conor Wilson wrote:

"Interesting.

I'm not the only gay in the village. "

Me: I thought that I had been rather open.  Hmmm...maybe I need a better agent?

Conor

No, you're right.  It had slipped my mind.  You're so freakin' obviously homofag that I don't know how it got passed me.

BigUniverse wrote,

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:

"No, you're right.  It had slipped my mind.  You're so freakin' obviously homofag that I don't know how it got passed me."

Me: Is this the part where I pretend to be extremely offended by your use of the word "homofag"?

Conor

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Doesn't homo cancel out fag

Doesn't homo cancel out fag when used together? Double negatives and all that. A "homo(sexual)" who is a "fag(homosexual)" would be straight.

Hmm....

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
Sorry, Vastet...

..no negatives at all.  You're just heartbroken, aren't you?  You set up a decent attempt at humor, and I have to go all literal on you.

Conor

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well in the way that they

Well in the way that they were used, they're negatives. Fag and homo are both used primarily as insults, at least in my experience, and in the usage seen here(comedically or not). That makes them negative terms. It has nothing to do with homosexuality itself. Two negatives cancel each other out. Comedy maintained. Smiling

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ahem...I believe 'homofag'

Ahem...

We should all be reminded by this at how dead pan sarcasm unless explicitly identified on the internet can be mistaken for bad humour at best.  Is there a law for this?  Some kind of Poe for internet sarcasm?

I believe 'homofag' is what the kids use these days.  I'll never try to reference any remarks outside of my generation again.  I'd say I was using it ironically, but I'd be guilty of something worse if I did that.  It was intended to be humourous since it's not at all an insulting remark.  I suppose living in the centre of the largest gaybourhood in Canada has over-exposed me to gay-isms(?)?

Anyhow, Conor, I knew you were gay.

Vastet, get off that 19th century clap trap about two negatives in English equaling a positive.  It's ridiculous and wholly incorrect besides, unless you're using English within some kind of formal logic.

BigUniverse wrote,

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I stand by my posts.

I stand by my posts. Regardless of people taking some kind of stupid offense where none was even possible. I also stand by my accuracy. And this is the last I have to say about it.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

Sticking out tongue

ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote:This

shelleymtjoy wrote:

This thread reminds me of the time I almost wrecked my car on 95 S because the three guys in the SUV next to me all had their shirts off.

To answer the original question, I do somewhat agree.  The point is more about doing something *not* in the name of God as opposed to doing something specifically because you're an atheist.

That is an interesting point. I will think about that for a minute and come back later.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:True.  To

Thomathy wrote:

True.  To make it fair you'll have to give me a hint.  I don't think my odds are good against the millions.  Let's start with a neighbourhood?

Okay ... when I'm in Toronto, I'm ... no, there's no way you'd find me. I'm either visiting my mother in the most heinous of suburbs (think Yonge north of Steeles *shudder*) or in the scuzzyland that surrounds the Nestle factory (near Dufferin Mall). Toronto to me is an ugly place. Guelph is like happiness and roses by comparison.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Isn't Steeles the Northern

Isn't Steeles the Northern boundary of Toronto?

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Isn't Steeles

Vastet wrote:

Isn't Steeles the Northern boundary of Toronto?

Yeah, probably. I'm not up on the city boundaries. If it's not in Toronto, then I guess I'm technically not in Toronto when I visit my mother. The suburbs still suck -- that point stands.

Pretty sure to anyone who actually lives in Toronto, though, anything north of the CHUM building is suspect.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lol. I lived there in 99,

Lol. I lived there in 99, and I'm convinced the whole city is suspect. I could get into some of my reasons why, but for the peace of mind of the average Torontonian I will not.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Lol. I lived

Vastet wrote:

Lol. I lived there in 99, and I'm convinced the whole city is suspect. I could get into some of my reasons why, but for the peace of mind of the average Torontonian I will not.

My friend, the average Torontonian is in banking and ripped on coke right now, so I wouldn't worry about it. Fire away. The only places I've ever lived in Toronto I liked were in King West and Parkdale. Completely shady, but way friendlier neighbours than in the other places I've lived, like Mt Pleasant area. Everyone told me it'll be so much better there, and I saw two fistfights (road rage) in my neighbourhood -- one I had to break up. In Parkdale, it was always people wondering what Jim the superintendent was going to do with the garden this spring.

My scariest moment in Parkdale? I was walking over to a friend's place with a bottle of wine, and I turn a corner to see this gigantic mountain of a black guy and his equally large friend look at me and one of them says, "hey, is that for me?" Of course, it wasn't scary at all. I said, "Christ, look at the size of you! You're not getting my wine!" Everyone has a chuckle, and they go back to talking. But when I turned the corner, I thought I was walking into a horse -- I shit you not!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lol. To give you a taste of

Lol. To give you a taste of the kinds of stories I have, I worked downtown for half a year or so at King and...shit. Wellington? I can't remember. By St. Andrews Station, if I recall that part correctly. Metro Hall was on the same block, and we had the twin 22 storie skyscrapers of Metro Centre. Anyway, it had at least 3-4 bars & strip clubs across the street, let alone the 20k others in a 5 block radius.

Oh, did I mention I was doing security at the time? And that we had a bi-level underground parking lot to contend with, not to mention the TTC tunnel and the concourse? Heh. Fun times...

The only place I've lived that has more stories was B.C. And those are mostly wildlife and wilderness; not to mention I was living there for 4 years. Toronto is pure humanity based, and I was there for one. lol.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Oh, did I

Vastet wrote:

Oh, did I mention I was doing security at the time? And that we had a bi-level underground parking lot to contend with, not to mention the TTC tunnel and the concourse? Heh. Fun times...

Holy shit. Yeah, doing security there would be "teh suck" as my programmer friends would put it. Not that it would surprise you, but I believe all of those clubs have changed their name and possibly ownership by now. If we're talking about the same area, it's quite a bit more "gentrified" now.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
To this day I remember a

To this day I remember a piece of advice given during my orientation for the security job in Toronto.

Quote:

Never, EVER, wear your uniform in public when you aren't working. 2 years ago we had a guy on his way home from work in his uniform. He was taking the subway home. He had the extraordinary bad timing of being in the station at the same time people robbed it. These people stripped the guard down to his underwear and left him face down on the ground until it was over. They took his uniform with them when they left, and he had to go home in a towel in the back of a police car. After spending about 2 and a half hours mostly naked in the subway station.

So I never wore my uniform unless I was actually working. Not that I needed that advice to do so, but it certainly made it a non-issue. lol.

bridgettedunn
User is offlineOffline
I thought this was a forum about atheism, not sexuality.

Way to go off the subject.  It makes the site look bad.

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
bridgettedunn wrote:Way to

bridgettedunn wrote:

I thought that's why we have you here.

Great last post, BTW.

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the RRS

bridgettedunn wrote:

Always nice to see a new face, with an oar, what  side of the canoe do you J-stroke on?   And what are your favorite topics?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
bridgettedunn wrote:Way to

bridgettedunn wrote:

You must be new to the internet. Welcome. Prepare to be shocked.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
This thread confirms it

There is no god and everything is a random bunch of crap waiting to happen.

I knew there was going to be a lesson in it somewhere.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

WhoHastBledUpon...
WhoHastBledUponThyPitifulSacraments's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think it doesn't matter

I think it doesn't matter what side of the canoe you paddle on, I think what matters is what creek you paddle in!

By the way, if my girlfriend leaves me, i'm openly gay and I am a nice person (better than she is, the proof of it is that I wouldn't mind sucking more than one cock at a time)

It takes a drop of shit to ruin the wine, but a drop of wine won't make a pile of shit any better.