Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I hear you Pinapple. I think

I hear you Pinapple. I think he means it, on some level...

But remember who he's talking to.

If you consider this some kinda "gotcha" for the people here who think he's an atheist, just remember that other thread with the speech he gives in a church.

The words he uses, and the meaning he applies to them clearly differ depending on his audience. I don't think this particular film is revealing insight into how he "really" feels, but that's just my impression of him.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Actually, what got me

Actually, what got me posting this is this thread from the VenomFangX forums.

The first vid is the one I posted here, the second the vid you mentioned of his speech in a church.

It baffles me that YEC aren't calling Obama Christian. [there is even a series of vids on Youtube about YEC distancing themselves from Obama]

Ubermensch
Ubermensch's picture
User is offlineOffline
You know, it could very well

You know, it could very well be just my wishful thinking, but doesn't his answer sound just like an atheist pretending to be a christian?  His answer is so bland and obvious.  "Jesus Christ died for my sins.  I am redeemed.  Blaaahhhh..."  But when he is talking in the other video about public policy guided by the bible, his words are pointed and articulate. 

Hm.  Just thinking out loud...

Scientific illiteracy is reality illiteracy.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
ditto

Ubermensch wrote:

You know, it could very well be just my wishful thinking, but doesn't his answer sound just like an atheist pretending to be a christian?  His answer is so bland and obvious.  "Jesus Christ died for my sins.  I am redeemed.  Blaaahhhh..."  But when he is talking in the other video about public policy guided by the bible, his words are pointed and articulate. 

Hm.  Just thinking out loud...

I agree his answers were slow, stumbling and dropping his eyes to concentrate on  the exact wording he needs.  That is not the clear sharp responses we are use to hearing from Obama.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
"The best sword is kept in

"The best sword is kept in its sheath."

That was a line from Sanjuro (one of my favourite movies), wherein the main character is prone to violence, and to making blunt statements. A lady accuses him of "glittering" like a constantly unsheathed sword.

You won't ever really know what Obama is thinking, because the best sword is kept in its sheath.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Ross (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
See the way he keeps looking

See the way he keeps looking down? And struggling for words? And the cliched Christian "Died for my sins" as mentioned above?

It would seem like he's an anthiest, but you can't really tell. But none of his speechs have been full of "Jesus will help America blossom" or anything like that, like others have used a lot. Am i wrong?

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
It doesn't really matter,

It doesn't really matter, though. He's still not going to mix religion with politics, and that's the important thing. (At least I hope so)

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby