Atheist Sign Stolen From Olympia Capitol

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Atheist Sign Stolen From Olympia Capitol

Story

So some asshats decided they didn't like it so they'd steal it. Hopefully they get caught. The closest city to me, Reading has a stupid Nativity scene up it the city square - which was provided by people who should have the asshat avatar branded on their face - the Knights of Columbus and the Berks County Pro-Life Group. Is this legal? I'm going to forward the story to the ffrf.

This_story_here

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
This pissed me off as well.

This pissed me off as well. What part of thou shalt not steal do these fuck heads not understand.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cali_Athiest2 wrote:This

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:

This pissed me off as well. What part of thou shalt not steal do these fuck heads not understand.

Are you really asking that of people who believe they are allowed to lie in Jesus' name?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Are you

jcgadfly wrote:

Are you really asking that of people who believe they are allowed to lie in Jesus' name?

Don't forget killing in Jesus' name. That's always appropriate.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I clicked on your link and

I clicked on your link and ended up here:

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=116410

It was a story about a Nativity scene being returned. I am confused.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That was the second link

That was the second link about them starting to put up a Nativity scene again in the city near where I live. The link at the top was on the sign being stolen. And since I was here last I got an email updating the story from the FFRF - the sign was turned into a local country radio station there - and they called to have it returned. It was updated at the link too - apparently the thief or thieves threw it in a ditch.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here is the letter I

Here is the letter I e-mailed the reporter,

Dear Don,   I am an atheist. I could go on in this e-mail about how the super natural is an impossibility. BUT, that is NOT the nature of my response. It is about common law.   Down here where I live, some unkown people spray painted on the side of a church, "There is no God". While I might agree, I am not a human without empathy. No matter what position one holds, or how ardent a detractor one might be, all should agree that one's personal property is not for others to take or distroy.   While I think our celibration symbols should be neutral while on government property, like OUR American flag, no one, not your position, or our position, has the right to distroy or take something that does not belong to them. Differences are handled in court, not through gangs or gang tagging.   Atheists may be blasphemous and politically incorrect, but we can see the same wants and needs and disires of those we dissagree with. Taking or destroying something you or I don't own is not a right. Common law should tell us all that we don't do that, no matter what words are exchanged.   "I may Vehimetly disagree with what you have to say, but will defend to the death your right to say it" Voltair
  Sincerely, Brian

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
The one about the stolen

The one about the stolen sign was the link before my writing - also here:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/12/05/atheists.christmas/index.html?iref=newssearch

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Cali_Athiest2

jcgadfly wrote:

Cali_Athiest2 wrote:

I digress. I've been fighting fundies all morning and OMG am I so glad to be back in with my own kind. This story actually opened up a whole big ball of worms. The debate started here and was steered to gay marriage. The guys that were so anti-gay that they eventually didn't want to play anymore. I take it as a major victory in reason over religion, but in their own minds they won. Back to your reply, if it was good enough for Aquinos(sp) back then it must be ok for today's christians as well, right?

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey, that's my state! I

Hey, that's my state! I don't live in a redneck state. (grumble grumble)

I've been hearing about this controversial sign on the news. I shouldn't be surprised about this now, but I am. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Anyone else notice what a

Anyone else notice what a hard-on that fucktard Bill O'Reilly has for this sign?

Anime_Otaku
User is offlineOffline
I don't watch Faux News, I'm

I don't watch Faux News, I'm guessing his head just about exploded though and he's more upset about the sign being returned rather than when it was stolen.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I don't either but it was on

I don't either but it was on Freethought Radio and the Non-Prophets podcast. He was upset that the governor of Washington allowed it there in the first place - and got his dumbass fans to make a bunch of calls to her.

Anime_Otaku
User is offlineOffline
Actually I just did a search

Actually I just did a search on Yahoo and found the video nof it. He has a lot of nerve talking about decorum and then calling people morons among other things.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to wash my eyes with Hydrocloric acid and clean the crap out my ears with hot pokers.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Bill O'Reilly's picture

Bill O'Reilly's picture ought to be next to "asshat" in the dictionary.

Scyth3s
Scyth3s's picture
User is offlineOffline
That Atheist symbol in the

That Atheist symbol in the capital (and the placque (however the hell you spell it)) sparked both a protest and a counter-protest. I joined up for teh counter-protest, as I believe that if Atheists can't have a symbol/placque there, then the Christians can't have a tree. What? They think they're religion deserves more love from the government than ours?

View my Atheist blog, shared with two friends!

www.faithistheenemy.blogspot.com -Daniel the "Scientist"

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
The interesting part is the

The interesting part is the FFRF planned on puting a large "thou shalt not steal" sign on it when it went back up. A tree would be fine as a SECULAR symbol of the season, but a manger is clearly a religious symbol. To be fair and follow the constitution they should either put something up for the sybolism of any religion or absence thereof who requests it, or nothing. But asking Christians to follow the constitution rather than try to force everyone to do things their way and put Jesus's gang tag on every government property is apparently asking too much.