Competitive Gaming and Sports

Adroit
atheist
Adroit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Competitive Gaming and Sports

http://tgbf.tv/?p=archive&show=110

The above was a live broadcast of a Team Fortress 2 Match in a league called CGS

The teams both sponsored Veneration (my team) versus Sway Gaming

(im named Adept in the game, and when the camera is following me the name will be in the middle, if you care.)

This Team Fortress 2 League is not open to everyone joining, the team has to be accepted by playing well the open division.

The league had $40,000 to give away in cash to top placing teams.

Approximately 200-400 people watched the broadcast, many more watched it later.

(the broadcasters actually broadcasted our "vent" which is our voice chatting program at certain points in time so people can hear our communication. While giving commentary

Competitive gaming has prizes, an audience, broadcasts, money, divisions, sponsors,  some gamers actually have 6 digit salaries up to $250,000 a year.

So here is my question. Does this make gaming a sport? Discuss.

I haven't talked to anyone on the intertubes about this besides other gamers, so im interested.

Diagoras23
atheist
Diagoras23's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes

Yes, it is a sport.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
No. And neither is poker or

No. And neither is poker or chess.

ThorLovesYou
ThorLovesYou's picture
User is offlineOffline
"There are only three real

"There are only three real sports: bullfighting, car racing and mountain climbing. All the others are mere games." -Ernest Hemingway

Does it matter if it's a sport or not? If you enjoy it and can make a living at it, what's to complain about? I say more power to ya!

Dray
User is offlineOffline
I think with as much

I think with as much training, hand/eye coordination, teamwork, and concentration (and red bull, or maybe you're a Bawlz kind of guy), that is needed to be a professional competitive gamer, that calling it a sport wouldnt be that much of a stretch.  I think the problem you run into are those that get stuck on the definition: "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature."  There is a tremendous amount of skill required to be a good gamer but its just not athletic enough to be considered a sport.

If the question is being asked because it needs to be classified as a sport to be part of some kind of league, I dont think that is anything to worry about.  Video Games are a huge market and getting bigger, and competitive gaming is really starting to pick up (I wouldnt expect to see competitive gaming in the 2012 Olympics in London, no matter how politely the Birmingham Salvo asks).  With more accessible games being created to appeal to more than just core gamers like Rock Band, Guitar Hero, and pretty much anything on the Wii, we will probably see a gradual change in social acceptance of video games as not being just for geeks.  In which case we may sometime in the near future find ourselves watching Monday Night National Gaming League and cheering on your team while you are taking on the MCP in cyberspace.

Thats what I think anyways.

peterweal
peterweal's picture
User is offlineOffline
My sport ate your sport for

My sport ate your sport for breakfast.

Adroit
atheist
Adroit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah thats usually the

Yeah thats usually the conclusion i make

If chess is a sport, than gaming is. But I dont know if i agree that chess and gaming are... Not like it matters because i enjoy it.

I was just curious because of course almost all of my fellow gamers think it is a sport, and many think they are "pro" at this "sport". So i was just curious Laughing out loud

I just saw this and i couldnt stop laughing, I'm pretty sure its legit

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?key=psTWhiJb4X9pJqheAsXH8UA&hl=en

Edit: it is in fact legit, and they have a team....... and they suck

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 IMHO, a sport involves

IMHO, a sport involves physical prowess and competition.  A game requires only competition.  Therefore, poker, which requires no specialized physical skills, is a game but not a sport.

Video games are an odd middle ground.  Personally, I find the new game controllers to be baffling.  I grew up with a joystick and one or two buttons.  Ten buttons and an extra "D Pad" on top of two joystick-like gadgets are too much for my Pac-Man brain to handle.  I'm happy to admit that video games require a certain amount of physical dexterity.  Does this make them sports?  Somehow, my brain rebels against the idea, but I can't quite find a clear reason why.

Perhaps sports are only those competitive games which require physical prowess *and* involve real, as opposed to simulated, tasks.  This seems kind of like an ad-hoc rationalization designed to exclude video games, though.  Then again, video games didn't exist when the cultural concept of sport developed.  The only possible classification for them is an ad hoc one.

You know, when it comes right down to it, I think I object to calling something a sport when nothing more than playing the game will lead to the player being in worse physical shape than not playing.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
LOL at how complicated the

LOL at how complicated the controls are now. I was relatively good at the old-school games but have yet to find a modern game I can get past the 1st level on. Especially hard for me is when you have to use the keyboard for a control - it's just so counter-intuitive I can't handle it.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:You know,

Hambydammit wrote:

You know, when it comes right down to it, I think I object to calling something a sport when nothing more than playing the game will lead to the player being in worse physical shape than not playing.

... so... every contact sport ever created?

oh sure, he would have been in better physical shape if he didnt play the match where the linebacker decided to snap his spine in 2!

What Would Kharn Do?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:... so... every

Quote:
... so... every contact sport ever created? 

oh sure, he would have been in better physical shape if he didnt play the match where the linebacker decided to snap his spine in 2! 

Raspberries to you for intentionally missing the point!

Actually, I've slept on this and thought it through, and I'm happy with my pronouncement.  Even if physical dexterity is involved, if playing the game (without accident or mishap, you turd!!) makes you a lard-ass, it's not a sport.  So, that stupid Japanese thing where you dance around on a twister board?  Possibly sport.  Anything where you sit in a chair and wiggle knobs on a controller, not sport.

Hambydammit has spoken.  So it will be written.  So it will be.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I don't think literally

I don't think literally sitting on your ass can be considered a sport. You derive no fitness benefit from it, and you don't get to slap a teammate's ass when they win, so I don't think it is a sport.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Anything

Hambydammit wrote:

Anything where you sit in a chair and wiggle knobs on a controller, not sport.

Hambydammit has spoken.  So it will be written.  So it will be

I think we can come to a fair compremise... if it doesnt have cheerleaders (scantily clad women overseeing the event) then its not a sport... deal?

edit;

Hambydammit wrote:

if playing the game (without accident or mishap, you turd!!) makes you a lard-ass, it's not a sport.  

And for the record... i LOSE weight when on a gaming binge >.>

What Would Kharn Do?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, auto-racing is

Well, auto-racing is considered a sport. Golfing is considered a sport. Curling is considered a sport. Hell, fucking croquet is considered a sport.

Anyone care to give me an estimate as to the amount of physical excercize one gets out of these activities? Sticking out tongue

In fairness, most sports suck balls anyway. I don't particularly care if my hobby falls into that category anyway.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Well,

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Well, auto-racing is considered a sport.

I don't think turning left should be considered a sport.

Quote:

Golfing is considered a sport. Curling is considered a sport. Hell, fucking croquet is considered a sport.

Anyone care to give me an estimate as to the amount of physical excercize one gets out of these activities? Sticking out tongue

More than in video games. Unless you take the golf cart, or even then.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Auto racing does require

Auto racing does require physical ability - it gets well over 100° in those cars (no AC) and they're wearing heavy suits. Plus no bathroom breaks for the entire race (at least 3 hours in NASCAR) and dealing with the g-forces in the turns. Not something an out of shape person could do.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:I don't

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
I don't think turning left should be considered a sport.

I'm with the Cpt on this one.  Assuming we're talking about NASCAR, it's not a sport.  Rally driving is a sport.  F1 is a sport.  I can't drive, but I could drive in a circle going left for 15 hours Laughing out loud

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Those European ones are gay.

Those European ones are gay. NASCAR is for real men. If you think you can do it, go for it. NASCAR drivers make millions if they're succesful. I love NASCAR. It and NFL football are my favorite sports. Also like Hockey and Baseball. European sports are the wussy racing, soccer and tennis. GAY!!!!!

Actually I should say wimpy. Nothing wrong with gay people but those sports suck. To be fair NASCAR drivers wouldn't succeed in those racing types but the ones who came from there to NASCAR don't do very well either (see Juan Pablo Montoya. )

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Rally: Drive 100+mph down a

Rally: Drive 100+mph down a 10ft wide gravel road in the mountains with trees and spectators on both sides of you

F1: Drive a ritzy supercar through the narrow european streets at break-neck speeds

Nascar: ... Drive left for hours on end... BUT... really really fast >.>

Since people only watch for the crashes...

o_O why do people like nascar again?

I mean, compared to the sheer carnage and loss of life of a Rally crash, or the multi million dollar property loss of F1 crashes... nascar just seems so... tame

What Would Kharn Do?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I mean, compared to

Quote:
I mean, compared to the sheer carnage and loss of life of a Rally crash, or the multi million dollar property loss of F1 crashes... nascar just seems so... tame

Well, did you see Dale Earnheart's spectacular crash (the one he walked away from, not the one that killed him)? That was pretty nuts.

Also: I have a burning feeling that when/if Hamby comes back to this thread, he'll cast the whole lot of us into a fire for discussing auto racing at all. Sticking out tongue

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

Badbark
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Those

MattShizzle wrote:

Those European ones are gay. NASCAR is for real men. If you think you can do it, go for it. NASCAR drivers make millions if they're succesful. I love NASCAR. It and NFL football are my favorite sports. Also like Hockey and Baseball. European sports are the wussy racing, soccer and tennis. GAY!!!!!

Actually I should say wimpy. Nothing wrong with gay people but those sports suck. To be fair NASCAR drivers wouldn't succeed in those racing types but the ones who came from there to NASCAR don't do very well either (see Juan Pablo Montoya. )

Why do people associate gay with wimpy? I’ve a gay friend who is probably the hardest and toughest person I know. He used to always get into fights and win – no one messes with him now! Also, any man that can take the pain of anal intercourse can’t be that wimpy.

Is NFL football that silly game were Americans have to wear pads and helmets to play a variation of rugby? Wimps.

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Badbark wrote:...Also, any

Badbark wrote:

...Also, any man that can take the pain of anal intercourse can’t be that wimpy.

Is NFL football that silly game were Americans have to wear pads and helmets to play a variation of rugby? Wimps.

I'm sure there was a sexual health survey done a few years back that found straight men are more interested in the act of anal sex than gay men.  I'm throwing that out as pure hearsay because I can't remember when or where it was... I'll see if I can find it.

Before the Americans storm in here and get outraged about your slight against their national pastime, I feel I have to act as Devil's Advocate Smiling  I'm a rugby fan (shame about my national team) but I'm also a fan of American Football and I'll defend the padding.  In the American game most of the players are guaranteed snap, high-impact collisions to their shoulders and heads.  More often that not you'll have two 300+lb dudes slamming into your shoulders 5 or 6 times in a few minutes.  I don't care how fit you are, that's going to do some damage.  I'd want the padding.

Don't get me wrong, Rugby's hardcore* but I think the volume of high-velocity impacts to major body parts and/or close to the head is much, much lower, so there's not as much need for that level of protection.

* My favourite moment of the last world cup was one of the Aussies complaining because he was facing a medical substitution and wanted to stay on.  What was his problem?  He was bleeding from the eyes.  I'm a huge football fan (soccer to you 'Mericans) but at that point even I was calling every footballer under the sun a nancy boy Laughing out loud

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Before the Americans

Quote:
Before the Americans storm in here and get outraged about your slight against their national pastime, I feel I have to act as Devil's Advocate Smiling  I'm a rugby fan (shame about my national team) but I'm also a fan of American Football and I'll defend the padding.  In the American game most of the players are guaranteed snap, high-impact collisions to their shoulders and heads.  More often that not you'll have two 300+lb dudes slamming into your shoulders 5 or 6 times in a few minutes.  I don't care how fit you are, that's going to do some damage.  I'd want the padding

Another important factor:

The American NFL heavy-hitters are likely to have far more muscle mass than the equivalent rugby players. Why?

American sports teams are notorious for turning a blind eye toward steroid use.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
The NFL is pretty strict

The NFL is pretty strict about steroids - baseball hadn't been until recently. NASCAR is even supposed to start testing more (not that muscle mass would be a real advantage in racing - in fact it would likely be detrimental - more weight = slower car speed and less room inside.) Even with the helmets and padding, it's rare to see an NFL game without someone carried off the field injured.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Hambydammit Speaks:Nascar

Hambydammit Speaks:

Nascar is not a sport.  Driving cars really fast is a way to impress girls when you don't have a big dick.

American Football is a very difficult sport.  The average NFL running back is lucky to get a five year starting career because even with the padding, he is taking a tremendous amount of physical punishment.  We aren't even going to talk about how many linemen have back and knee problems when they're 40.

Rugby players are real men.  I'm sure some of them like dick in the ass.  It doesn't matter.

Contrary to popular opinion, Matt's right.  The NFL cracks down pretty hard on steroids.

Baseball players are pussies.

Hambydammit has spoken.

Books about atheism