The Hill Abduction Case?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Hill Abduction Case?

...I feel a tad awkward posting this:

Back in 1961, a multi-ethnic couple (white woman and her black husband), Bett and Barney Hill, were driving home from a visit to Niagra Falls when, as the story goes, their vehicle was followed and eventually stopped by a UFO and they were abducted for a couple of hours and studied (benignly, more or less).

There are a few things that UFO enthusiasts will point-out as being proof-positive that the incident really definitely totally happened...

...and, I must admit, one thing that another online acquaintance of mine pointed-out does seem (at least at first glance) rather interesting.

Pease airfield base recorded an anomalous radar contact in the same area, and around the same time, that Barney and Betty were allegedly pursued / adbucted by the UFO. I don't honestly know much about radar (well, other than in the Falcon 4.0 sim sense), but my understanding is that anomalous contacts just don't happen very frequently at all?

Does anyone know much more about this particular case (or just, like, something about radar / AFB records) that can shed some light into this area?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
There was a good skeptoid

There was a good skeptoid podcast about this a month or so back.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:There was

MattShizzle wrote:
There was a good skeptoid podcast about this a month or so back.
Worth a read or listen, it is! As I recall, he talks specifically about the "radar anomaly".

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
*Sigh*Thank-you, Jill &

*Sigh*

Thank-you, Jill & Matt. Note that the following has nothing to do with either of you:

This is why I do not like Skeptoid. They mess-up some rather important facts that they are ignorant of (willingly or not) simply so they can post impressive-sounding 'debunkings' without having to actually do work / consult experts (some of them are so damn obvious in this instance that it infuriates me; Project Bluebook is a publicly available document, and it's crystal clear from reading the entry that the airforce says not one fucking thing about a weather balloon. The 'Outer Limits' argument is old & discredited - the aliens in that episode look nothing like what Barney described; in fact, the entire argument started as a spontaneous supposition. Betty called her sister that morning, not the AFB in question. Etc, etc, etc). Their own argument isn't even consistent (Barney is alleged to have claimed to have seen an aircraft. But the radar is alleged to have returned a weather balloon. So, guys - which is it?)

This is exactly the kind of piss-poor research that convinces others of the credibility of sheister snake-oil salesmen like Marrs.

I'm quite sure that, whatever may have happened to the Hills, they were not 'abducted by aliens'. Masquerading an extended ad hom barrage on Betty Hill doesn't constitute a suitable explanation either, however.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940