Christmas and kids

Badbark
User is offlineOffline
Christmas and kids

I was talking to me girlfriend last night and the topic of Christmas and kids came up. If we ever have kids together she wants them to be told Santa is a real and everything that goes with this. I’m not as sure as I see to many parallels between the Santa and God characters.  A magical being that watches over everyone, rewarding the good and punishing the bad.

I’m reluctant to teach any future child lies. I argued that it would be better to teach them Santa is a make believe character and everyone plays the game.  I remember learning the truth myself and being hurt. It was the first time I realised that my parents could lie to me.

What do you guys think? Am I a muppet for taking this all a little bit too seriously?

hazindu
Superfan
hazindu's picture
User is offlineOffline
When I was little, I didn't

When I was little, I didn't know the word, 'credibility' but I understood the concept, and I remember quite well the lies I caught my parents telling and how it affected me.  I come from a long line of emotionally damaged people, and I don't have or want kids, so taking parenting advice from me is probably not a good ideal, but my vote is on no bullshit.

"I've yet to witness circumstance successfully manipulated through the babbling of ritualistic nonsense to an imaginary deity." -- me (josh)

If god can do anything, can he make a hot dog so big even he can't eat all of it?

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
My parents have never lied

My parents have never lied to me ever. At christmas they would tell stories about Santa and elves, and we would watch the traditional Danish "Julekalender" (literaly: Christmas calendar, it is a TV-show that has 24 episodes, one each day from the 1st to the 24th of December). These show change from year to year, only the format and the audience (it's for kids) stay the same, but the stories are almost always involve Santa and elves.

Never at any point in my childhood did my parents try to convince me that there was any truth to the story, so to me it was as clearly made-up as the fairy-tales of H.C.Andersen or the brothers Grimm.

And so what? Was it any less magical for it? Of course not! Kids are not stupid, so don't try to deceive them, they deserve better, and don't condesend to their inteligence and imagination by thinking they can't appriciate fairytales unless they believe they are real. I've loved everything make-believed for as long as I can remember, and I've been a rationalist and materialist for as long as I can remember.

Never make the mistake of believing that kids must believe the fantasy to be reality to appriciate it. Its insulting their inteligence and imagination, not to mention harmful for a child's psychological developement to try and decieve them. When they inevitably one day realize Santa not being real, they will distrust their parents more for it, helping to create general trust-issues later in life.

I just heard in a talk from Beyond Belief 3 that trust is one of the most important prerequisites for happiness, so it's not something you should mess about with.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

phooney
phooney's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm still undecided on this

I'm still undecided on this one.  I remember it being quite fun and exciting, and I can remember when I decided it wasn't real.  I wasn't particularly cut up about it and I think I managed to last one more Christmas to trick my parents into giving me one more extra set of presents (i.e. the normal ones from them and the magical ones from Santa).  So what goes around comes around I guess.

I certainly don't harbour, or remember having any, ill feelings towards my parents about it.  I expect they just used it as another tool of parenting, a kind of easy way out to get kids to behave for a while!

On the other hand, I don't see the necessity of it and as has already been mentioned here, you can get fun and excitment without the deception.  Perhaps until the point where the child has developed the ability of "suspension of disbelief" these kinds of things are best left out.

ThorLovesYou
ThorLovesYou's picture
User is offlineOffline
Long time listener, first

Long time listener, first time caller.

I was raised with Santa Claus and I distinctly recall figuring it out for myself. That was a huge moment for me, when I started thinking for myself and stopped accepting what I was told was automatically the truth, even when it came from my parents [GASP!] It's not that I didn't trust my parents anymore, they still looked out for me and did the best they could for me. And I wasn't upset that I got extra presents, I still get stuff from "Santa" to this day. The realization that Santa wasn't real had almost no affect on the relationship between my parents and myself. Sure, it took me a bit longer to figure out why they pretended Santa was real, but it was obvious from the start that there was no malice involved.

Now that I have offspring on the way, I've been doing a lot of thinking about it, and I think I will continue the tradition. I don't think young children can separate fantasy and reality as much as we might think. Unless you're going to shelter them completely from Santa in popular culture or remind them that Santa isn't real everytime they see him on TV and in the Mall, I think it's fine to go ahead and play along. And (hopefully) when they get a little older and start flexing those critical thinking muscles, they will figure it out for themselves.

I don't have a problem letting them think that Santa is real, reindeer can fly, and all the other things kids believe in. That's part of being a kid. But if he hasn't figured out that Reindeer can't fly by the time he goes to college, then I'll know that I really screwed up somewhere and might have to break the bad news to him.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
My parents (both theists)

My parents (both theists) always told me that Santa Claus was imaginary. Somehow I believed despite their telling me otherwise. I remember my mother comparing Santa Clause to Sesame Street characters and saying that they are all 'pretend friends' and that they are not real. Unfortunately for me at the time, I think that I thought Sesame Street characters were real to. I suppose that you will believe in anything when you are four.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
Lying to your kid just

Lying to your kid just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.  There are other ways to impart ideas revolving around wonder, imagination, and the mystery of the unknown. 

"I am that I am." - Proof that the writers of the bible were beyond stoned.

ThorLovesYou
ThorLovesYou's picture
User is offlineOffline
anniet wrote:Lying to your

anniet wrote:

Lying to your kid just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.  There are other ways to impart ideas revolving around wonder, imagination, and the mystery of the unknown. 

I curious what you are thinking of. Can you share some examples?

Part of the issue with Santa is that he's so ingrained in our culture and you just can't get away from him. I'm not advocating making up a new holiday mascot like the Great Pumpkin or something, but young children are not able to separate fantasy from reality the way adults can, they just don't have the capacity. At least that's been my experience from the young kids I've observed and what little I can remember of myself at that age.

I know kids that think SpongeBob is real, and he's not sitting in front of Sears at the mall with kids on his lap. They are going to find out about Santa one way or another, how do you convince them that he isn't real without constantly reminding them, and even then would they really understand? I think this is what Jormungander was talking about and that is pretty much in-line with my experience.

I suppose there are different levels of "playing along" and I'm sure some parents take it too far. Extreme examples aside, I just don't see the harm in participating in the global Santa Claus conspiracy for a few years.

So now I'm curious about something else: Do you have young children? If so, how do you handle their Santa Claus belief, even if it didn't originate from you? Or has it never been an issue? 

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I disagree with teaching

I disagree with teaching children that Santa is real.  I know several parents who teach their children that Santa is like a fairy tale, and people pretend that he's real because it's fun to do at Christmas, and their kids seem to have a fine time.

It seems to me that the potential damage is far greater than the reward.  I would think long and hard about who the Santa story is supposed to benefit.  It's my observation that parents often enjoy it more than their kids, who would be perfectly happy with any old story -- including the truth.  I mean, hell.  They get lots of presents.  They don't need Santa for that to be fun.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 While I'm at it, we need

While I'm at it, we need to realize that a lot of what children believe for the rest of their lives comes from their early childhood.  If we teach children that magic is real when they're young, there's no guarantee that they'll give up the notion just because they find out Santa is a lie.  

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
ThorLovesYou wrote:I curious

ThorLovesYou wrote:

I curious what you are thinking of. Can you share some examples?

I was thinking mostly of nature walks and Harry Potter when I wrote this.  I have a young child who I take on walks.  We don't exactly get into deep philosophical discussions yet, but I can get him thinking about things like why we like trees, think ducks are neat, or want to play in the mud with bacteria and worms. 

Stories like Harry Potter are fun and imaginative.  I've been reading him world myths, which he likes too.  It's good to get him thinking about why people made up these stories and not about just the plot of today's tale.  He's not very interested in science, but I will cover some of the basics of the physics and chemistry of the origin of the universe when he gets older.

ThorLovesYou wrote:
They are going to find out about Santa one way or another, how do you convince them that he isn't real without constantly reminding them, and even then would they really understand?

I grew up being told Santa was a myth rooted in pagan legend.  Based on my experience, I think kids believe in Santa because they get told again and again that he is real.  As soon as a kid has their parents confirm that Santa is just a story, the belief vanishes quickly.

ThorLovesYou wrote:
I suppose there are different levels of "playing along" and I'm sure some parents take it too far. Extreme examples aside, I just don't see the harm in participating in the global Santa Claus conspiracy for a few years.

So now I'm curious about something else: Do you have young children? If so, how do you handle their Santa Claus belief, even if it didn't originate from you? Or has it never been an issue? 

I think it very much depends on the kid.  Some do fine with realizing their parents tricked them, some do not.  Why would you gamble with your child's trust on something that really has no possible great gain? 

My kid does not believe in Santa.  He loves Polar Express, but realizes it is a story just like all his other movies.  It's not been an issue.  I have made sure to take the time to explain why other kids believe in Santa and what their well-intentioned parents are trying to do with getting their kids to believe.  He seems to understand the basics pretty well.

My main job as a parent is to get him to understand who he is and how he fits into the world around him.  I lose a lot of credibility in getting him to understand what the world is if I distort the facts in any way.  It may be fun to do so in the short-term, but does harm for the long-term.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Teaching your children that

Teaching your children that Santa is real (and, by proxy, framing their worldview to include magic) is a bad idea if you don't want to run the risk of them failing to become critical thinkers later in life.

Let's examine this by taking the special pleading in favor of Santa out of the equation for a moment. Are you okay with your children becoming attached to:

- Magic existing in the world

- Their every action being under review, and everytime they do an arbitrary 'bad' thing they get a black mark on their spiritual record

- Mythical creatures / beings really existing, just in places we don't normally visit

- Scholars & skeptics being foolish for disbelief, as only those who believe reap the rewards

- Morality being absolute

- Their existence having ethereal significance.

...If you're not, why would tying it all together with a fat guy in a red suit suddenly change your mind? Sticking out tongue

The same approach should be considered for any holiday we've given cute mascots to (Easter... Uh. I think that's it? Huh. Go figure that it's the orthodox Christian holidays that feature the cartoony figureheads for the kids. Sticking out tongue ). If we want to teach critical thinking, we're doing a pretty fucking bad job if we suspend the effort during the most critical phase of a person's faculty development just because there's an adorable character involved.

EDIT: ...Am I the only one, out of curiousity, who actually 'discovered' the truth about Santa by actually ambushing my parents as they were stuffing the stockings?

Man, that night totally sucked. I was planning to ask Santa to make sure he put a Super Nintendo under the tree this time. Talk about a major backfire. :/

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
I remeber growing up and

I remeber growing up and getting presents from santa on x-mas morning. I also remeber my parents never telling me that santa existed or he didnt exist. But i know that when i came to the realization that he didnt exist i didnt think my parents lied to me or anything like that. they let me choose and make up my mind for myself. 

I dont think parents should go either way, unless the children confront them, then they should tell the truth.

Badbark
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the input

Thanks for the input everyone. This discussion is somewhat mirroring what my girlfriend and I are saying to each other. This alone makes me much happier about the situation. I’m glad many feel the same way as I do and I’m not such a ‘Scrooge, bah humbug’ like she implies!

I’ve lived on my own for 13 odd years until March this year when she moved in. I’ve never put up any Xmas decorations before but now she wants to do the house up like Santa’s grotto. Eek! I think I’ll concede the decorations but stand by my guns with the Santa fantasy.

me - "Ok honey, you can put up whatever decorations you want but please know that I'll be telling any future kids the truth about Santa and Xmas."

her - "Ok darling, that sounds fair and thanks for compromising. Would you like another beer from the fridge?"

Yep, that's how I imagine our conversation will go.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
...Oh, and just by the

...Oh, and just by the by:

Thank you.

Most people don't bother with the 'hassle' of having this discussion with their spouse before the kids get made, and that creates a much stickier situation. As someone who will likely be enduring the machinations of the next generation to be raised, I really do appreciate when people take the time to lay down the dos and donts rather than just flying by the seat of their pants and breeding bitterness.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

ThorLovesYou
ThorLovesYou's picture
User is offlineOffline
anniet wrote:I grew

anniet wrote:

I grew up being told Santa was a myth rooted in pagan legend.  Based on my experience, I think kids believe in Santa because they get told again and again that he is real.  As soon as a kid has their parents confirm that Santa is just a story, the belief vanishes quickly.

anniet wrote:

My kid does not believe in Santa.  He loves Polar Express, but realizes it is a story just like all his other movies.  It's not been an issue.  I have made sure to take the time to explain why other kids believe in Santa and what their well-intentioned parents are trying to do with getting their kids to believe.  He seems to understand the basics pretty well.

My main job as a parent is to get him to understand who he is and how he fits into the world around him.  I lose a lot of credibility in getting him to understand what the world is if I distort the facts in any way.  It may be fun to do so in the short-term, but does harm for the long-term.

I see where you're coming from. I like this approach. I'm assuming then that your kids don't get any presents from "Santa" then?

Shaitian wrote:

I remeber growing up and getting presents from santa on x-mas morning. I also remeber my parents never telling me that santa existed or he didnt exist. But i know that when i came to the realization that he didnt exist i didnt think my parents lied to me or anything like that. they let me choose and make up my mind for myself. 

I dont think parents should go either way, unless the children confront them, then they should tell the truth.

This is more along the lines of what I was thinking of, but I can certainly understand how getting presents from Santa reinforces the idea that he is real. At least I've got some time to figure it out.

anniet
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
Badbark, I like your

Badbark, I like your attitude of compromise.  It seems fair and is similar to the set-up we have in my house.  I also go a little overboard w/ the Halloween decorations as a bit of an offset.  Some of them are just going to stay up year-round too.  Jack is good for any day of the year!   

ThorLovesYou wrote:

I see where you're coming from. I like this approach. I'm assuming then that your kids don't get any presents from "Santa" then?

Thor, thanks.  And, yes, your assumption is correct.  He knows the gifts are from family.  He is still just as excited and thrilled as any kid who thinks they come from Santa. 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:me - "Ok honey, you

Quote:
me - "Ok honey, you can put up whatever decorations you want but please know that I'll be telling any future kids the truth about Santa and Xmas."

her - "Ok darling, that sounds fair and thanks for compromising. Would you like another beer from the fridge?"

Yep, that's how I imagine our conversation will go.

LOL!

After you get your own beer, sleep on the couch, and cave on the santa thing after a month of no sex, we'll see just how compromised you feel...

Seriously, I hope it works.  I think that's a reasonable trade.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Most people don't

Quote:
Most people don't bother with the 'hassle' of having this discussion with their spouse before the kids get made, and that creates a much stickier situation. As someone who will likely be enduring the machinations of the next generation to be raised, I really do appreciate when people take the time to lay down the dos and donts rather than just flying by the seat of their pants and breeding bitterness.

KB, most people would rather get laid than find out they have a deal breaker issue on their hands.  

Ok, that's too cynical.  The reality of it is that the desire to get laid combined with the desire to not be lonely makes for a very strong deterrent to rational conversation.  Realize that many conceptions occur while both parents' brains are still addled by the chemical coctail of infatuation, which is specifically designed to suppress logical ability.  Combine this with the fact that when people really believe that they've found "the one" and that this time, everything will be great, it is really easy to forget to ask the hard questions.

I'm not making excuses for people, but I think it's worth understanding that part of the truth of human nature is that it works really effectively, and it's designed to make people make babies -- not to have the most harmonious loving relationships possible.  Overcoming two of the strongest human drives simultaneously is very hard, and it's made harder by the fact that most people don't even understand what's happening to their brains while it's going on.

Oh, and to the OP, I'm just making generalizations for KB's sake here.  I'm not trying to say anything about your particular situation.  Don't read anything as directed at you, ok?

Oh, and if I was emperor of the universe, I would make it a law that you have to be engaged for at least five years before getting marrried if you're under 32.  I'd also provide free birth control to everybody.  Five years is usually long enough to get around to asking the really hard questions.  By then, you usually realize that everybody has stinky shit and bad breath in the morning.

Books about atheism