re: body donation

prisonnurse1
User is offlineOffline
re: body donation

i just read the post about whole body donation.  this is interesting because i have recently gone to gunther von Hagen's body Worlds exhibit.  he has taken donated bodies and preserved them in a process called "plastination".  the only way i can really describe it is it's like he's fossilized the bodies with plastic.  they are preserved in various poses, and not all of them are human.  it was shockingly beautiful.  they have cut sections that look like what you would see in a CT scan.  there was a whole section on fetal development.  it really must be seen to be appreciated, and i would recommend it to anyone.  i brought my 7 year old to it, and she loved it.  once she learned what a smoker's lungs looked like, she'd point out all the bodies of people who were smokers.  it's currently touring north america so if you're interested you can look it up if you want to go.  it's worth it.  you can also sign a form to donate your own body for plastination upon your death.  now that's REAL immortality.

I'd rather be a moral atheist than an amoral theist.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
when you say you've recently

when you say you've recently been to the exhibit, you don't mean you went yesterday, do you?  my group, along with two other local groups attended the baltimore exhibit yesterday.

prisonnurse1
User is offlineOffline
in a word no

i saw it about a month ago.  i don't live in the united states.