Can I have one post not be locked?

theist
theist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Can I have one post not be locked?

I would like to express some frustration I have had with this board if that is okay.

First, Sapient sent me a message saying my post was moved and renamed. The renaming of my post misrepresents my view. It was labeled something like "Rook's Credentials: The Final Smackdown" 

Here is why I am a little upset. I asked what his credentials were, I did not judge him based on those credentials.

My Father did not graduate highschool and grew up in poverty. WITHOUT A DEGREE he rose up and started a very, very sucessful buisiness. I would trust his buisiness judgment over anyone with a degree. So, I FULLY BELIEVE THAT SOME PEOPLE can  "make it" without a degree.

The response to my post has comments like "I would be surprised if you, theist, are college material"  I say this is an ironic insult. that may be an insult to Rook...think about it. And yes, I do have a degree in...history...imagine that. Once again, before somebody else misrepresents me, I DO NOT BELIEVE A DEGREE TRUMPS SOMEBODY WITHOUT ONE in the fields of history, buisiness, or any other skill that can be attained through self-teaching.

WHY WAS I ATTACKED SO MUCH FOR ASKING THIS QUESTION? WHY WAS I LABELED "CLOSED MINDED"?

Why was my post sent to an area were people could make assumptions about me, insult me, and even ask me questions knowing I could not respond? Go back and read it. I asked a question and it was renamed to insinuate I was attacking Rook. That is a false representation of me.

I am really not trying to be rude. Thank you to those who have taken the time to help me. Please don't lock this. I would like a  genuine conversation about the view that Jesus is a myth, I just wanted everyone to know I was ASKING A QUESTION and not MAKING A JUDGMENT.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
If you had lurked the forums

If you had lurked the forums as is customary before asking questions, you would have gotten many of the answers you sought. Redundant questions are redundant. Now this thread will probably be locked and moved to Trollville, as will any further threads chewing on this same chestnut.

In summary:

Read more of the existing threads.

Stop whining about your old threads.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
theist wrote: I am really

theist wrote:

I am really not trying to be rude. Thank you to those who have taken the time to help me. Please don't lock this. I would like a  genuine conversation about the view that Jesus is a myth, I just wanted everyone to know I was ASKING A QUESTION and not MAKING A JUDGMENT. 

If you'd really like to have this converstion there are 3 threads right now on this subject:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/detractors_answered

http://www.rationalresponders.com/which_jesus_a_legend_with_a_multiple_personality_disorder

http://www.rationalresponders.com/jesus_mythicist_position_revised_2008

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

theist
theist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Please here me out.  I do

Please here me out.

I do not feel I was misrepresented for having my post removed. Renaming it though, I feel, was a tactic used to twist my view into the assumption that I was offering a  critique. I never judged Rook; I asked a question.

The reason I was hoping this would not be moved is that I don't want to be misrepresented. As I mentioned, my Father doesn't have an education and is competent in his field. The same could be true of Rook.

Also, it is very, very difficult to search ALL the threads before asking a question. What about 10 years from now when somebody who has never even heard of the RRS comes and asks this question? Why is it so wrong to ask a question before searching the ENTIRE site?

I ask for this to be left open because the point of this board is to "bring" the view that Jesus is a myth to the door step of people who were not familiar with it.

WELL, I never believed that there were THIS many people who believed that Jesus was a myth. I knew the thought was out there; yet, I did not know it had such a vast following.

I am very familiar with Bart Ehrman and others who claim he was just a man; yet, most scholars I have encountered believe at the very least that Jesus was a man who people worshipped because they only thought he was deity.

Therefore, I found this board to be interesting. It also served it's purpose and informed me about the issue. Yet, when I engaged the issue about the main person who is doing the research for the point, my post was moved and renamed.

HERE I AM. One of the people this board was made to inform; yet, my questions and post keep getting removed.

theist
theist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks PaulJohntheskeptic!

Thanks PaulJohntheskeptic!

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
theist wrote:The response to

theist wrote:

The response to my post has comments like "I would be surprised if you, theist, are college material" 

... likely because you asked a question that has been asked and answered dozens of times here, and is available easily online.  College material candidates generally possess a modicum of researching ability.

Quote:
WHY WAS I ATTACKED SO MUCH FOR ASKING THIS QUESTION?

Several reasons.  My frustration specifically was that you made your post titled in all caps, and then seemed to ignore the sequence of events including communications with you via email, pm, and on the forum.  Instead you recreated the thread three times to get what you wanted, an all caps titled thread, which was open to commenting, started by you.  There are other threads on the issue, not in all caps, already open.  Sorry but we have some rules here, as you go along learn from them, instead of breaking them until you get your way.  Your creation of this thread to whine about it, falls in that same category.  Stop bitching about the rules, and move on, credentials don't mean a thing here, nor does your caps lock post, what would mean something is if you could comment in one of the created threads on Jesus mythicism to take apart one of the arguments set forth by atheists here.  So far you haven't done that, you're just bitching. 

We pay for the bandwidth here, it costs us money to host material, the site becomes slower to operate when we have too many threads.  Most of your threads so far are nothing but a waste of our money.  Get with the program, and stop bitching if we refuse to pay for your shit. 

I will likely be deleting most of the content you've created so far within a few days, it's a drain on resources.

Quote:
WHY WAS I LABELED "CLOSED MINDED"?

I don't remember anyone doing that, but most theists are closed minded, maybe it was unrelated to what you were posting.

Quote:
Why was my post sent to an area were people could make assumptions about me, insult me, and even ask me questions knowing I could not respond?

People can make assumptions about you or insult you on any part of our website.  The trollville section is where we send trollish posts, which yours were.  It's not an assumption.  Don't make trollish posts, and your posts wont go there.

Once the thread was locked nobody could respond, stop bitching.

Quote:
Go back and read it. I asked a question and it was renamed to insinuate I was attacking Rook. That is a false representation of me.

Why are you making assumptions?  WAHHH

I think Hamby renamed it to infer that it was the final time we'd smack someone down on this issue.  You were the one that got smacked down, we were not inferring that you were trying to smackdown Rook.  It was renamed when we removed your all caps title, and to something more appropriate as deemed by the mod god (hamby).

Quote:
I am really not trying to be rude. Thank you to those who have taken the time to help me. Please don't lock this.

It will likely just be deleted in a few days.

Quote:
I would like a  genuine conversation about the view that Jesus is a myth

This isn't the thread for that.  Address the specific issues brought up by Rook and the other mythicists in the threads they've already started.  Compile an argument, ask a decent question that isn't answered 100 times on the site already and we'll get along just fine.

Quote:
I just wanted everyone to know I was ASKING A QUESTION and not MAKING A JUDGMENT.

Great, we got that. 

Here are a bunch of topics you can look at and address...

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forums/rookhawkins/jesusmythicistcampaign

And for the record, the Jesus Mythicist Campaign forum is not your home to just open any topic you want.  So far all of your posts would have been better suited in the general conversation forum (including this one).  Use the recent posts tracker to find your moved posts instead of looking in the forum you placed them in, I can tell you will probably have posts moved in the future:  http://www.rationalresponders.com/view/super_tracker

Additionally we look much more kindly on people who find an existing relevant topic to post in, rather than create their own topic.  You'll notice you are even awarded more points on our site for doing so.  And lastly, you're being overly needy, the more work you make the mods do to correct your actions, the less likely we'll be interested in having you around.  Blend in a little better, it's not all about you.

I REPEAT: FIND A RELEVANT THREAD TO HAVE THE JESUS MYTH DISCUSSION, ADDRESS SPECIFICS OUTLINED IN THAT THREAD.  THIS ISN'T IT.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
theist wrote:Also, it is

theist wrote:

Also, it is very, very difficult to search ALL the threads before asking a question. What about 10 years from now when somebody who has never even heard of the RRS comes and asks this question? Why is it so wrong to ask a question before searching the ENTIRE site?

Haven't you ever heard of Google Search. You can use it to search this or any specific website. On this site on the left side about 3 items down from your log in name it says"Google Search This Site". Use that to find what you want.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
All you had to do was type

All you had to do was type "Rooks credentials" into google search on the left: Google SEARCH this site!

You would've seen these threads on the first page:

A thread for the Rook mythicists, trolls galore, shit thread | The ...It seems that because of some of the libel posted online, Rook has had to deal with an ... his assumptions about academic credentials were, at best, naive. ...
www.rationalresponders.com/forum/miscellanous_forums/trollville/11498 - Similar pages

On the verge... | The Rational Response Squad

We seem to be in agreement you don't need a college degree or other credentials to be qualified to speak on certain topics. And as an FYI, all of Rooks work ...
www.rationalresponders.com/.../general_conversation_introductions_and_humor/504 -

theist
theist's picture
User is offlineOffline
PaulJohntheSkeptic, Yes, I

PaulJohntheSkeptic,

Yes, I know of the search engine. Okay, fine, I admit it, I am lazy. On websites, especially on message boards, I prefer to ask people. It is kind of like calling a business, an automated program can give you answers; yet, it is much more satisfying to have a conversation with somebody who addresses your particular question.  Therefore, the seach engines are powerful; yet, I feel more comfortable speaking with people about issues. For one thing, a person who cares enough to address your particular issue is more likely to have the latest material. I am sure there are many out there that would love to help Rook pursue a degree. A real person may be aware if a scenerio like this one is in the works or something like that. 

What I like about message boards is that anybody can respond and anybody can choose not to read it. Therefore, I don't see much harm in allowing questions to come up several times if they are not spam. Yet, I am not telling you all how to run your site; it is your call. Yet, I feel changing portions of a message, especially the title, is unethical due to the power to misrepresent the sender.

In closing, I am lazy and like to hear from people who read my particular message. I was frustrated with being misrepresented. And I have found others on here to be very helpful and considerate. I am interested in the theory that Jesus was just a myth.

theist
theist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient, You said: We seem

Sapient,

You said: We seem to be in agreement you don't need a college degree or other credentials to be qualified to speak on certain topics. And as an FYI, all of Rooks work

I just wanted to clarify real quick. I DO believe that you must have "credentials" to be "qualified" on certain topics. A "qualification" demands a credential. Yet, those credentials can vary. For instance, I mentioned my Father, his credentials are about 37 years of a successful financial business, not a degree. Rook's credentials, based off what you told me, are 8 to 10 years of a self-taught track. I just wanted to be clear that I believe you need credentials, I just don't believe they HAVE to be college degrees in the area of history.

Also, would you mind to put my original title in trollville?  I think my original title captured my view point and the new one misrepresents me. The new one makes it sound like I wanted to attack Rook, which I did not. The other assumptions, accusations, and questions (which are odd since they knew I could not respond) by people don't bother me, assumptions are sure to appear when you type a message; yet, I was hoping the misrepresentation of the CHANGED title could be removed. If this is possible, I would appreciate it.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Kind of why no one reads the

Kind of why no one reads the instructions anymore and has problems. Use the Recent Posts short cut on the left as well. You'll see the different topics being discussed and when someone last posted to the topic. You can go back several pages searching these posts. If a topic is being discussed you will have far better luck joining in then starting a new topic on the same subject. What you want to discuss has been and will continue to be in open threads. Don't start redundant duplicate threads, its annoying.

If you follow the rules which you should have read at the top right corner of your browser you will not have the problems you are complaining about. There are many theists on this site and they obey the rules and don't have problems. There are obnoxious trolls that are of various persuasions that get in to conflicts. Typing all capitals is shouting on the net, it's not nice.

I'm just a regular member here and being courteous to you because you seem to wish to discuss issues and are confused. Read the rules and instructions. It is also inappropriate to open threads to complain. Use Email or PM.

Enjoy your time here.

theist
theist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient,  Sorry about the

Sapient,

Sorry about the e-mail responses. I checked the email and I can only see one response from you and I did not see that until today. I seriously would have responded. I don't know what happened.

Sorry about the all caps. I didn't think that was a problem. Honestly, i didn't read all the rules when I sign on. I mean, do you read all the rules when you use computer programs or websites?  Did you read all the stipulation for your e-mail, i-tunes, or anything else? Yet, i will now because this is the first time they were held so highly.

Sorry about wasting your money, I didn't realize you were so crunched for the budget on this site. That never crossed my mind that that may be a reason my post was moved.

There is a differenece between "bitching" and offering complaints. Bitching is when your opponent is requesting a different action, complaining is when your friends are requesting different actions. It is just a way to offer out a rude comment. I teach iover 130 teenagers, they use that phrase a lot to put down their peers. I think  it  is a juvenile  insult, but whatever.

Thanks for clearing up the "title". I really thought it was meant to restate my view, but I understand the wording now that you explained it. I understand now.

One more question, if the Jesus Mythicist Campaign is not the right place to discuss Jesus being a myth. What thread would fit?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I notice it can be difficult

I notice it can be difficult on here to notice if you have a message if you aren't looking.

Dante_Inferno
User is offlineOffline
Theist,A persons credentials

Theist,

A persons credentials just might be evidence that they have knowledge. For example if you have a phd in biology you probably have some level of knowledge of biology. But lack of credentials does not mean a person does not have knowledge. A persons knowledge can be demonstrated many ways, by published research or by the ability to refer you the correct research.

Your question was a supreficial one. Perhaps if you asked what the standards for judging a person to have knowledge are there would have been more respect. And this is an important question. How do those who understand science and logic teach science and logic to those who do not. Is it possible to reduce scientific and philosophical concepts to a simpler form, so that the average person can understand? Or if that is not possible is there a way to have the ignorant trust the knowledgable.

This is a rather important question in our society. Many people do not understand or trust scientists. Hence the whole Creationism mess.

I for example do not understand the theory of evoluiton in detail. But biologists have demonstrated their knowlege to me by their ability to predict the behavior of biological phenomana, such as transitional fossils to the modern whale and between fish and tetrapods and so on. So I believe them.

Ultimately the question is what is knowledge not whether a person has credentials.

theist
theist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dante You said: A persons

Dante

You said: A persons knowledge can be demonstrated many ways, by published research or by the ability to refer you the correct research.Your question was a supreficial one.

Did you see what I said to Sapient? Maybe this would help clarify what I was seeking.

I just wanted to clarify real quick. I DO believe that you must have "credentials" to be "qualified" on certain topics. A "qualification" demands a credential. Yet, those credentials can vary. For instance, I mentioned my Father, his credentials are about 37 years of a successful financial business, not a degree. Rook's credentials, based off what you told me, are 8 to 10 years of a self-taught track. I just wanted to be clear that I believe you need credentials, I just don't believe they HAVE to be college degrees in the area of history.

Here is the webster view on credential

Main Entry:
2credential
Function:
noun
Date:

1: something that gives a title to credit or confidence;

I think you could be an historian without the degree.