What is your excuse for demonic forces?

RationalRespons...
Moderator
RationalResponseSquad's picture
Posts: 556
Joined: 2006-08-17
User is offlineOffline
What is your excuse for demonic forces?

From: ke.douglas@hotmail.com
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2007 2:37 AM
Subject: [General Question] The Holy Spirit

Kate sent a message using the contact form at
http://www.rationalresponders.com/contact.

So I have a question...If you don't believe in God, Satan, Heaven or hell,
what is your excuse for demonic forces? It is a known fact all throughout
history (in and out of textbooks) that people have been taken over by
demonic evil forces, and people have been exorcised (not only in the
Catholic Church). What is your excuse for divine healings? People being
prayed over or simply touched and healed of things such as leoporasy,
blindness, etc. I'd really like to hear how the atheist belief can explain
these things.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Demonic forces have the same

Demonic forces have the same source as divine ones - human beings.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline
That it's bullshit and never

That it's bullshit and never really happened. "Demonic Possession" is a primitive explnation for psychotic behavior. If "exorcism" had any effect at all it was the placebo effect. Anti-psychotic meds are much more effective than exorcism. This is like asking if Santa Claus isn't real how do you explain his reindeer flying.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team


Death Dragoon
Bronze Member
Death Dragoon's picture
Posts: 62
Joined: 2008-07-24
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

RationalResponseSquad wrote:

From: ke.douglas@hotmail.com
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2007 2:37 AM
Subject: [General Question] The Holy Spirit

Kate sent a message using the contact form at
http://www.rationalresponders.com/contact.

So I have a question...If you don't believe in God, Satan, Heaven or hell,
what is your excuse for demonic forces? It is a known fact all throughout
history (in and out of textbooks) that people have been taken over by
demonic evil forces, and people have been exorcised (not only in the
Catholic Church). What is your excuse for divine healings? People being
prayed over or simply touched and healed of things such as leoporasy,
blindness, etc. I'd really like to hear how the atheist belief can explain
these things.

I hope you're kidding. How many Muslims or Buddhists can you name that have been "possesed" by demonic forces? It's all in you're head.

When once asked in the library if I believed in Jesus Christ, I pointed out that zombie novels are in the fiction section.


Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
Posts: 440
Joined: 2008-02-07
User is offlineOffline
I've never seen a leper or

I've never seen a leper or blind person cured by the touch of some holy dude so I cannot tell you. Please provide us with some legitimate sources to verify your insane rantings. While you're at it pray for amputees to regrow their limbs and get back with us when you have conclusive proof said god cures amputees.

Demons do not possess people end of story. They do not exist anymore than angels exist. Besides, even if they did, this would be a problem to christians because demonic possession violates "freewill" and god cannot violate freewill, correct? Perhaps, this would not be a direct violation, but an indirect which is probably even worse. Mental illness is the explanation. By your reasoning, humans that turn into creatures during a full moon must exist. Most cultures have similiar stories but this proves nothing.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS


mrjonno
Posts: 726
Joined: 2007-02-26
User is offlineOffline
Do even christians believe

Do even christians believe in demonic possession these days?. Pretty sure the catholics and C of E dropped exorcism a long time ago?


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote:Do even

mrjonno wrote:

Do even christians believe in demonic possession these days?. Pretty sure the catholics and C of E dropped exorcism a long time ago?

Only the "Spiritual Warfare" fundies who see demons around every corner. Again, it keeps them from having to accept responsibility for their own actions.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
Posts: 2148
Joined: 2007-08-31
User is offlineOffline
im sure its stated somewhere

im sure its stated somewhere on my evil overlord registery papers, that i do NOT have to make excuses for my minions actions >.>

What Would Kharn Do?


thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
Posts: 1022
Joined: 2007-02-07
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

RationalResponseSquad wrote:

From: ke.douglas@hotmail.com
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2007 2:37 AM
Subject: [General Question] The Holy Spirit

Kate sent a message using the contact form at
http://www.rationalresponders.com/contact.

So I have a question...If you don't believe in God, Satan, Heaven or hell,
what is your excuse for demonic forces? It is a known fact all throughout
history (in and out of textbooks) that people have been taken over by
demonic evil forces, and people have been exorcised (not only in the
Catholic Church). What is your excuse for divine healings? People being
prayed over or simply touched and healed of things such as leoporasy,
blindness, etc. I'd really like to hear how the atheist belief can explain
these things.

What's your excuse for leech therapy?  It's a known fact all throughout history (in and out of textbooks) that leeches have been used to cure everything from headaches to herpes.  I'd really like to hear how your belief can explain these things.

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/


magilum
Posts: 2410
Joined: 2007-03-07
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

RationalResponseSquad wrote:

From: ke.douglas@hotmail.com
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2007 2:37 AM
Subject: [General Question] The Holy Spirit

Kate sent a message using the contact form at
http://www.rationalresponders.com/contact.

So I have a question...If you don't believe in God, Satan, Heaven or hell,
what is your excuse for demonic forces? It is a known fact all throughout
history (in and out of textbooks) that people have been taken over by
demonic evil forces, and people have been exorcised (not only in the
Catholic Church). What is your excuse for divine healings? People being
prayed over or simply touched and healed of things such as leoporasy,
blindness, etc. I'd really like to hear how the atheist belief can explain
these things.

Hi Kate. When ignorant and sexually repressed people need attention or an outlet for frustration, it sometimes manifests in a fit of histrionics you call "demonic possession." They must find a means of expressing their dissatisfaction and outrage at their suffocating environments, but because they don't want to be ostracized, even on a subconscious level, it has to also be in accordance with the superstitions they grew up with; which provide them an alibi for their behavior, no matter how extreme and hilarious. You'll notice that in more developed and less religious cultures (not a coincidental relationship), which by your standard probably ought to be most vulnerable to "demonic forces," life goes uninterrupted by Lucifer's minions. The east and west coasts are not, counter-intuitively, crying out for the aid of an exorcist. This is mainly because the bulk of people in these places, which may seem futuristic and overwhelming to you, allow themselves to whack off once in a while.


Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
Posts: 1130
Joined: 2007-11-06
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote:Do even

mrjonno wrote:

Do even christians believe in demonic possession these days?. Pretty sure the catholics and C of E dropped exorcism a long time ago?

Are you kidding? I've yet to meet one around here that doesn't believe in it. In fact, most churches will have a spiritual warfare conference/training at least once a year, and I had a schoolfriend whose mother was actually a demonic possesion 'expert'.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.


I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
Posts: 4793
Joined: 2007-09-29
User is offlineOffline
These replies make me proud

These replies make me proud ....

I am sure enjoying the many recent RRS  [YOU RESPOND] threads .... thanks.


Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
Posts: 628
Joined: 2008-02-29
User is offlineOffline
Where's god gone with his

Where's god gone with his miracles and shit?

We haven't even had a burning bush for ages. Ok, we have in CA but generally is some idiot with a BBQ.

 

Demonic possession = 'It wasn't me, it was my demon'


 

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3704
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
              

                  Demon, I command you in the name of Jee zusss....

 

                                        

www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/misanthropy

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." Rudyard Kipling


Sleestack
Sleestack's picture
Posts: 172
Joined: 2008-07-07
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

RationalResponseSquad wrote:

From: ke.douglas@hotmail.com
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2007 2:37 AM
Subject: [General Question] The Holy Spirit

Kate sent a message using the contact form at
http://www.rationalresponders.com/contact.

So I have a question...If you don't believe in God, Satan, Heaven or hell,
what is your excuse for demonic forces? It is a known fact all throughout
history (in and out of textbooks) that people have been taken over by
demonic evil forces, and people have been exorcised (not only in the
Catholic Church). What is your excuse for divine healings? People being
prayed over or simply touched and healed of things such as leoporasy,
blindness, etc. I'd really like to hear how the atheist belief can explain
these things.

Can you please send me an Amazon.com link with these 'factual' textbooks?

I can explain all those things in 4 words: You have been fooled.

 


anniet
Silver Member
Posts: 325
Joined: 2008-08-06
User is offlineOffline
Simple, I don't claim to

Simple, I don't claim to explain things I can't.  If there is something that happens in an odd way, I look for an explanation.  If I can't find one I say "I don't know what happened here." 

Since there is no proof for demonic forces or divine healing, how can you claim that they exist?  If you want me to accept your explanation for their existence, prove it. 

"I am that I am." - Proof that the writers of the bible were beyond stoned.