Blasphemy Challenge Should've Used the King James Version

Lot2
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Blasphemy Challenge Should've Used the King James Version

Don't you think it would've made the Bible look more ridiculous if people were saying "Holy GHOST"?

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lot2 wrote:Don't you think

Lot2 wrote:
Don't you think it would've made the Bible look more ridiculous if people were saying "Holy GHOST"?

"Ghost" = "spirit". "Holy spirit" is just as wacky, really. How about "Holy Soul"?

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
They could just as easily

They could just as easily said Holy efrgn2q4[tobhjnq[.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
the king james version has

the king james version has ghost and not spirit because it's the germanic equivalent (English is a germanic language).  But, what Tilberian said and like HisWillness, it's pretty stupid either way.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
A silly notion by any other

A silly notion by any other name is still silly

Lot2
Theist
User is offlineOffline
You guys are missing the

You guys are missing the point. Stopwith all the technical answers. What I'm saying is don't you think it would've been funnier if thousands of people were saying "Holy GHOST, easter bunny, santa claus..."?

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
No.  They're both funny. 

No.  They're both funny.  I happen to be used to ghost because that's more common than spirit in my experience.  Spirit sounds retarded when I think of it that way.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

magilum
User is offlineOffline
 I start snickering from

I start snickering from "God" on, so I miss most of those lists.

Mazid the Raider
Rational VIP!Science Freak
Mazid the Raider's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, ghost isn't any funnier, really.

I don't think "ghost" would really be any funnier. Just think of "spirit" in the sense of Saturday Night Live cheerleading "Go Team Spirit!!! wooo!" and it's plenty silly enough.

Besides, the whole concept is absurd.

"But still I am the Cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me!" ~Rudyard Kipling

Mazid the Raider says: I'd rather face the naked truth than to go "augh, dude, put some clothes on or something" and hand him some God robes, cause you and I know that the naked truth is pale, hairy, and has an outie
Entomophila says: Ew. AN outie

lpetrich
lpetrich's picture
User is offlineOffline
In my taking of the

In my taking of the Blasphemy Challenge, I stated that the Holy Spirit is also known as the Holy Ghost, and even as the Holy Spook.

So I acknowledged that old translation in my version.

I also noted that many languages' words for soul or spirit or ghost are derived from words for breath, which makes the Holy Spirit literally the Holy Breath. Pfffffft!