How religious are you regarding the future of humanity?

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
How religious are you regarding the future of humanity?

Hey everybody. 

I was reading through the "Right to Breed" thread over in Freethinking Anonymous, which if you didn't follow it, turned into a friendly debate about the future of the human race, referencing space travel and terraforming among other things.  My good friend Hambydammit obliquely referenced me as one of his pessimistic scientist friends who echoed his own findings regarding the likelihood of solutions from science fiction (wormholes and moonbases and such).  His physics are "skrate" as my students say.  That is to say, things like atmospheres and magnetic fields and energy are big sticking points when it comes to giving the human race a viable lifeboat somewhere else in the solar system or the surrounding galaxy.  But lots of people wouldn't agree, citing the immense technological progress of the human race in the past couple of centuries.  I only hope they are right and we are wrong.  But the fact of the matter is that the people who ultimately devised those technologies were disinterested in the final results of each experiment.  When you succumb to "well, if I interpret {X,Y} to mean X, then we could be feeding twice as many people" you get a Stalin and Lysenko situation.  And trying to breed people with apes naturally follows.

What I'm getting at is that when we consider the future we all have the responsibility to consider the future in the most realistic terms possible.  And that means that warp drives and Dyson spheres and realistic hologram sex are not just many, many generations away... they are not even remotely in the pipeline.  They are as imaginary as virgins giving birth, if that drives the point home.  What we do have to prepare for is (hopefully) limited thermonuclear exchanges, crop failures, antibiotic resistant bacteria, low survivorship flu epidemics and lots and lots of extinction.  That is not to say human extinction, however.  I personally believe we'll last out anything short of a massive asteroid strike, based upon our surviving whatever long ago population bottleneck event it turns out to have been that reduced us to 10,000 or fewer breeding pairs.  Before I digress further, I'll state my position (though I'd like answers to my initial question, primarily).  The anthropologist John Hartung (who I don't agree with on science) once stated that the extent to which we leave the future in God's hands is the extent to which we don't take responsibility for it.  I'd say that it's equally true that leaving the future to technologies that only exist in potentia is the same goddamned thing,

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:\To get to

Hambydammit wrote:

\To get to the moon, we needed better versions of existing technology, and we had the necessary science to work from.  To get to an extra-solar planet, we need science that doesn't exist, technology that doesn't exist, and we need some unproven guesses about very theoretical physics to be correct.

Jules Verne wrote about man going to the moon in the 1800s.  We had hardly any of the technology to go to the moon when he wrote about it.  No rockets.  No computers.  Heck, we hadn't even flown.

He died in 1905 before the Wright brothers even got their ass off the ground.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I see now where your

Quote:
I see now where your hangup is in this whole thing.  You seem to believe that human intellect can transcend human biology.  This is simply not true.

Then this is the core of our disagreement, and where our views truly diverge. yes, I very much do believe than human intelligence has broken away from the bonds, to some degree, of it's instinctual nature. The fact that our genes brought us our eventual intelligence is irrelevent - while they may have been totally self-oriented, they've now created altruistic beings that aren't, and can in fact now re-examine and tweak said genes as we speak.

In a more literal sense, we could look at the field of artificial intelligence, where intelligence has quite literally ursurped biology. Computers and robots have no need for genes in order to think.

Our intelligence shatters natural barriers left, right and center. Gravity says we have to stay on the ground? Fuck that. Lungs say we can't go underwater? Fuck that, too. Oxygen dependence says we can't venture outside the atmosphere? Yup, you guessed it - fuck that.

People break away from their instintive desires all the time. They defy self-preservation to save other people from burning buildings, they go on hunger strikes, they spend time blogging when their genes would have them out hunting for mates or prey (or both).

Quote:
First, there are many, many examples of creatures in nature that do not reproduce for various reasons, whether it's social hierarchy, unsuitability, or colonial breeding, like worker ants or bees.

Complex, thinking, intelligent creatures. Where are the examples of bacteria, viral agents, ameobas, etc that choose not to reproduce?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Obviously we're at

Obviously we're at loggerheads here, which gives me something of an answer to my question, which is very cool.  Thanks to everybody for participating.  

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Jules Verne wrote

Quote:
Jules Verne wrote about man going to the moon in the 1800s.  We had hardly any of the technology to go to the moon when he wrote about it.  No rockets.  No computers.  Heck, we hadn't even flown.

Um... I wasn't really addressing Jules Verne.  I hardly think the fact that one writer guessed correctly about future technology is proof that other science fiction writers are correct about their guesses.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote:Obviously

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

Obviously we're at loggerheads here, which gives me something of an answer to my question, which is very cool.  Thanks to everybody for participating.  

Tell me what loggerheads is and you will have answered my question... >.> hehehe

What Would Kharn Do?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The fact that our

Quote:
The fact that our genes brought us our eventual intelligence is irrelevent - while they may have been totally self-oriented, they've now created altruistic beings that aren't, and can in fact now re-examine and tweak said genes as we speak.

I will take the scientific approach and not believe this until you can demonstrate its truth.

Quote:
In a more literal sense, we could look at the field of artificial intelligence, where intelligence has quite literally ursurped biology. Computers and robots have no need for genes in order to think.

I'm not even going here.  Equating thought with calculation, IMO, is a bit of a leap.

Quote:

Our intelligence shatters natural barriers left, right and center. Gravity says we have to stay on the ground? Fuck that. Lungs say we can't go underwater? Fuck that, too. Oxygen dependence says we can't venture outside the atmosphere? Yup, you guessed it - fuck that.

People break away from their instintive desires all the time. They defy self-preservation to save other people from burning buildings, they go on hunger strikes, they spend time blogging when their genes would have them out hunting for mates or prey (or both).

You're obviously not understanding what I'm saying.  I can't think of another way to say it now.  You need to think seriously about what you mean by "natural."  If you haven't given it a precise definition, you should.

Quote:
Complex, thinking, intelligent creatures. Where are the examples of bacteria, viral agents, ameobas, etc that choose not to reproduce?

Oh, hell.  I can't think of the name of them right now.  Maybe DamnDirtyApe will know what I'm talking about.  There's a single-celled organism that forms colonies when resources get low.  A stalk forms, and a spore drifts off to a new location.  The cells that form the stalk will starve to death, and are doomed to stay where they are.

Also, if you've got evidence that ants think, I know some zoologists who'd like to talk to you.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Um... I wasn't really addressing Jules Verne.  I hardly think the fact that one writer guessed correctly about future technology is proof that other science fiction writers are correct about their guesses.

Well, at least we agree here.

...I sure hope Lovecraft wasn't right.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:3) Basic

Hambydammit wrote:

3) Basic human nature.  Humans are not designed to embark on projects that will span many generations.  If one generation succeeds in starting such a project, the next must keep it up.  This is not in our nature, particularly when nobody alive will see any tangible results.

4) Basic human nature.  If humans were capable of mounting such a huge effort for the betterment of mankind in the future, we wouldn't have to worry about getting off the planet because we wouldn't be destroying it.

Hamby, we're already doing it, brother.  The final piece of the puzzle is being worked on for the space elevator.  The tether.  And that technology is already being worked on for a lot more reasons than just the space elevator.  It has immense potential for all kinds of for profit applications.

We are going forward with having a permanently manned moonbases in 20 years.

We gain a lot of shit from the stuff Nasa invents.  True there are a lot of things that are accreditted to Nasa that is not.  However, Nasa has produced a ton of shit that has profitable applications around the world.  We're going.  China's going, Russia is going, Europe is going, America is going.  We're already working on improving our ability.

Whether you like it or not we are already working toward this eventual event.

Now get in the rocket before I have to tie you up, put duct tape on your mouth, and drag you in.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Um... I

Hambydammit wrote:

*grins*  Did you know that the Jules Verne's book about man going to the moon is an example of a self-fulfilling prophecy?

The majority of the key scientists that got us to the moon were huge Jules Verne fans.

Inflame the passions and imagination in people and they will fucking do it.  Believe me.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Hamby, we're already

Quote:
Hamby, we're already doing it, brother.  The final piece of the puzzle is being worked on for the space elevator.  The tether.  And that technology is already being worked on for a lot more reasons than just the space elevator.  It has immense potential for all kinds of for profit applications.

Yeah, yeah.  I get all of this.  I don't doubt that we could come up with the technology to get stuff out of earth's gravity without strapping it to a big bomb.  I only slightly doubt that we could eventually put some kind of profit producing factory on the moon.  I seriously doubt that we could do it on Mars, and I just can't think of any way that this technology has any implications for getting us past the Kuiper Belt.

I don't mean to debate the notion that we can get a few people onto other rocks in this solar system.  I imagine we can.  I'm debating the plausibility of self-sustaining relocation of the human species.

Quote:
We gain a lot of shit from the stuff Nasa invents.  True there are a lot of things that are accreditted to Nasa that is not.  However, Nasa has produced a ton of shit that has profitable applications around the world.  We're going.  China's going, Russia is going, Europe is going, America is going.  We're already working on improving our ability.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that I'm against space exploration.

Books about atheism

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:The final

Watcher wrote:

The final piece of the puzzle is being worked on for the space elevator.  The tether.  And that technology is already being worked on for a lot more reasons than just the space elevator.  It has immense potential for all kinds of for profit applications.

Took me 3 minutes Watcher... solved your tether problem, i call it... the cog-o-vator (name pending)

take a large circle of empty space (say... the inside of your space elevator) then add a large circular platfrom that fills out the inside. Add multiple (dependant on weight of objects designed to lift) vertical turning motorized cogs that roll/grip along indentations implanted into the exterior circle... as long as all cogs climb at the same speed (considering everything else at play... its an easy feat) the platform shall rise, no problemo right?

Fuck im good ^_^

What Would Kharn Do?

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Yeah,

Hambydammit wrote:

Yeah, yeah.  I get all of this.  I don't doubt that we could come up with the technology to get stuff out of earth's gravity without strapping it to a big bomb.  I only slightly doubt that we could eventually put some kind of profit producing factory on the moon.  I seriously doubt that we could do it on Mars, and I just can't think of any way that this technology has any implications for getting us past the Kuiper Belt.

I don't mean to debate the notion that we can get a few people onto other rocks in this solar system.  I imagine we can.  I'm debating the plausibility of self-sustaining relocation of the human species. 

Do you know how little use we had of the Interstate Highway System when it was authorized in 1956?  Very little compared to today.  However, once we had it companies started jumping all over ways of making money off of using it like starving wolves.

When we finish developing the carbon nanotubing needed for the final puzzle in the Space Elevator (And it's going to happen whether the Space Elevator is a goal or not), companies are going to scrap to the death over ways to utilize it for profit.  It's going to change the price of moving a pound of material from Earth to lower orbit to a fraction of the previous cost.  C'mon!  You don't think that a lot of companies will shit their pants over the potential when that happens? 

We're going to see an explosion in space applications for profit by private and public entities all over the planet.

And the beautiful thing is, it's all profit driven, Hamby.  And c'mon, you're a business man, if anything will make a person jump it's profit.  This is not an if.  This is a when.  And it's going to be soon.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I still don't understand why

I still don't understand why you think I'm disagreeing with you on any of this.  I don't see how any of it pertains to the question of whether or not it's remotely plausible that humans will relocate outside the solar system.

I think earth orbit is a very, very profitable thing to work on.  As it gets cheaper, it will fuel all kinds of technological advances.  I'm with you on this.  It's still apples and oranges to mention people going out of the solar system in the same conversation.

Books about atheism

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:I still

Hambydammit wrote:

I still don't understand why you think I'm disagreeing with you on any of this.  I don't see how any of it pertains to the question of whether or not it's remotely plausible that humans will relocate outside the solar system.

I think earth orbit is a very, very profitable thing to work on.  As it gets cheaper, it will fuel all kinds of technological advances.  I'm with you on this.  It's still apples and oranges to mention people going out of the solar system in the same conversation.

*blinks*  Oh.

*shrugs*  Then no worries.  Once we have floating, navigational space stations set up in our solar system we have 5 billion years to work on shit before our sun dies.  We might be able to come up with something during that time.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Kevin

Hambydammit wrote:

Kevin wrote:

I think that's fucked-up.

We've been leaning on technology because, well, it works. Which is a lot more than can be said about sitting cross-legged on your floor and mumbling incantations.

I don't often defend Eloise when it comes to stuff like this because, frankly, I think her philosophy is incoherent, but to be fair, she said philosophy, not meditation. 

Er.. thanks I suppose, Hamby.  You're maybe still confusing my philosophy with a pure example of a philosophy I once told you exists to counter a point you made, but there was no talking you out of it then, and I guess there is none now, either.

Hamby wrote:

It's also really important to note that in order to have lots of time to think about philosophy, you need lots of spare time, which you don't have if you're living in a primitive state.  Technology, in a very concrete way, facilitates philosophy.  It certainly facilitates information exchange, which, if you're going to get your philosophy correct, is pretty much  completely necessary.

Quote:

See this is why I can't help liking you Hamby, regardless of how many pieces you take out of me. Well said.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Er.. thanks I suppose,

Quote:
Er.. thanks I suppose, Hamby.  You're maybe still confusing my philosophy with a pure example of a philosophy I once told you exists to counter a point you made, but there was no talking you out of it then, and I guess there is none now, either.

No need for thanks.  I hope you've seen that I'll call anyone on what I think is wrong -- theist, atheist, or otherwise.  As I recall, I asked you for an example of what you believe, and you pointed me to several websites that were incoherent drivel.  If that is not what you believe, I'll take your word for it, but that's not really what I was talking about.  When I say that your philosophy seems incoherent to me, I mean your discussions on information and quantum physics that seem to get you to some kind of awareness on an astronomical scale, and bizarre statements like, "we need to return to philosophy."  I have yet to see you offer a coherent description of anything that could in any meaningful way be called a god or whatever it is you believe in.  In general, I have a hard time understanding what you mean most of the time.  No offense intended.  I'm not trying to be mean.  Your explanations just tend to come from five sides at once, and you don't offer many clear definitions.

Actually, come to think of it, after reading most everything you've written, I have no idea what you believe.

Books about atheism

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:Er..

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

No need for thanks.  I hope you've seen that I'll call anyone on what I think is wrong -- theist, atheist, or otherwise.  As I recall, I asked you for an example of what you believe, and you pointed me to several websites that were incoherent drivel.  If that is not what you believe, I'll take your word for it,

You must have missed my stating that it wasn't an answer as to what I believe but an answer to another specific part of your original post. Still, let's not go there again, you did ask me what I believe, and I did consciously refuse to give you an answer to your satisfaction on that because I don't like making claims that I can't also demonstrate full support to in the same forum. So I am sorry, I know that your asking for me to clarify my theistic beliefs is genuine, but I'm holding things back for good reason.

That said, I have, on these forums, put some of my ideas out bare twice and once was to you in the off shoot thread of the one we were just referring to. You can count that statement among my theistic beliefs.

Quote:

but that's not really what I was talking about.  When I say that your philosophy seems incoherent to me, I mean your discussions on information and quantum physics that seem to get you to some kind of awareness on an astronomical scale,

Yes that's right, I consider a quantum universe necessarily leads to a defined object requiring a form of awareness (an intrinsic conception) of it's own external and internal boundaries, that would include the cosmos. I do not believe that human awareness is a mechanism that has an substantial distinction from this, I believe that holding human mind as distinct in substantial ways, including computational complexity, is false.

Quote:

and bizarre statements like, "we need to return to philosophy." 

I say that in response to the popular statement - 'technology will save us'. Engineering frequently subsumes philosophy in our human endeavours, philosophy for it's own sake is largely an ignorable endeavour for reasons you've already outlined, really well I might add. We simply have to be more interested in our short term survival - go to work, pay the bills, relieve the stress, rinse, repeat - even though we have facilitated ourselves an ideal environment for perfecting our decision making of itself, we are almost too distracted to bother with it, moreover generally speaking the only people who are aware of how it would benefit us to do so are the ones who are already doing it.

Hambydammit wrote:

Your explanations just tend to come from five sides at once,

This is what I mean in the above paragraph, we have facilitated this level of information, we should probably use it as long as we are capable.

hambydammit wrote:

and you don't offer many clear definitions.

I apologise for that, it could be a fault of my writing style.

UltraMonk
User is offlineOffline
Is there any reason so far

Is there any reason so far why we can't use robots to mine the asteroid belt for the resources we need, bring it back to earth orbit and construct the ships and habitats needed?

A robot with an ion drive would be just fine. If it takes 5 years to do the trip to the belt, mine several tonnes of ore (for example) and come back with it, who cares?

I really think the first thing we should be building in space is the basic factories to manufacture all the parts we need.

: Freedom - The opportunity to have responsibility.

: Liberty is about protecting the right of others to disagree with you.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Yes that's right, I

Quote:
Yes that's right, I consider a quantum universe necessarily leads to a defined object requiring a form of awareness (an intrinsic conception) of it's own external and internal boundaries, that would include the cosmos. I do not believe that human awareness is a mechanism that has an substantial distinction from this, I believe that holding human mind as distinct in substantial ways, including computational complexity, is false.

I find this so utterly incoherent that I pretty much just have to let it be.

Quote:
I say that in response to the popular statement - 'technology will save us'. Engineering frequently subsumes philosophy in our human endeavours, philosophy for it's own sake is largely an ignorable endeavour for reasons you've already outlined, really well I might add. We simply have to be more interested in our short term survival - go to work, pay the bills, relieve the stress, rinse, repeat - even though we have facilitated ourselves an ideal environment for perfecting our decision making of itself, we are almost too distracted to bother with it, moreover generally speaking the only people who are aware of how it would benefit us to do so are the ones who are already doing it.

I suppose we've reached the same conclusion by going down completely different paths.  I think our conceptions of the implications of this conclusion are substantially different.

Quote:

I suspect it's the fault of your concepts more than you're writing style, but I guess I can't really tell.  It might be your writing, after all.  I dunno.

Books about atheism

greek goddess
Rational VIP!Science Freak
greek goddess's picture
User is offlineOffline
Theia wrote:I'm not at all.

Theia wrote:

I'm not at all. I'm feeling pretty hopeless about the whole thing lately. Lots of people have claimed we don't need to worry because technology will save us. But I'm not counting on that. I said in another post, it's too little too late:

"So, I was watching a show about the car of the future and they were talking about all the different alternative-energy cars people are trying to develop such as hydrogen, ethanol, lithium battery, etc.When I first started watching the show I was feeling hopeful. But after the show I was feeling somewhat depressed. it's looking pretty grim, frankly. Nothing's going to happen soon and, even when it does happen, it won't be enough. They're saying by the year 2050 there will be 2.5 times as many cars on the road as there are now. And, while progress is being made towards finding alternative-energy cars, it's slow and none of the options so far is particulary ideal."

And there are many other problems to besides energy that are looming on the horizon. Overpopulation is another issue that no one seems to want to talk about and probably won't until it's too late.

I was also recently watching another show on the politics of global warming. That was also rather depressing. (I gotta stop watching TV). Even if the technology becomes available to solve our problems it won't help because politics are more influential than science. Politics have squashed science many times throughout history and will continue to do so as long as humans continue to worship the Almighty Dollar. I'd like to be optimistic but history does not give me a whole lot of reason to.

I just want to say "ditto" to Theia's entire post. I agree 100%.

(Saves me the trouble of writing out all those points all over again.)

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:Yes

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

I find this so utterly incoherent that I pretty much just have to let it be.

Please don't let it be, if you have something to say, say it.

Hamby wrote:

Quote:

I suppose we've reached the same conclusion by going down completely different paths.  I think our conceptions of the implications of this conclusion are substantially different.

Why do you think they are different? Are you referring to theism here?

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

I suspect it's the fault of your concepts more than you're writing style,

Clearly, you do. It probably didn't need to be said. Sticking out tongue

Hambydammit wrote:

but I guess I can't really tell.  It might be your writing, after all.  I dunno.

Eh, doesn't matter, I'm sure we'll get the chance to hear each other out eventually.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Please don't let it

Quote:

Actually, no.  I wasn't saying that for effect.  I really do find it so incoherent that I don't even know how to talk about it.  Before I'd even know how to ask you a question about it, I'd have to know what you mean by most of the words.

Quote:

Again, I'm not sure.  If you believe that consciousness is not tied to a physical body and that people's minds are entirely a result of local physical phenomena, it's pretty much impossible that you would have taken the same route as me, as I am a strict materialist, and I believe that consciousness is wholly dependent on being alive, in the biological sense.

Quote:
Clearly, you do. It probably didn't need to be said. Sticking out tongue

I strive to be clear.  Sorry.

Quote:
Eh, doesn't matter, I'm sure we'll get the chance to hear each other out eventually.

My approach right now is to go on the assumption that we have a fundamental communication issue, so I'm reading what you say to others, trying to figure out what you might mean.

Books about atheism

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Holy shit. I need to stop

Holy shit. I need to stop posting here in the morning. I write a bunch of pissed-off drivel, come back home from work, then realize what I just spat out of my keyboard.

Fuck.

Hamby, and most definately Eloise, I owe a huge apology. I was a real dick ealier today.

What it actually boils down to: I believe that we'll reach the stars, because, well, I want to believe it. I guess I leave it at that (since I won't be around to see what does or doesn't happen anyway, I guess it shouldn't really matter to me either way). It's not exactly motivating for me to think that mankind is just screwed.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:In a

Kevin R Brown wrote:

I wouldn't use AI as an example of intelligence. So far, our work in AI has not gotten us much closer to the actual goal of intelligence. We've done some pretty cool things -- pattern recognition, neural nets, expert systems, and the like -- but we still have no idea how to build a truly intelligent computer.

So far, our triumph over nature is merely in environment. We are experts at manipulating the environment to our own ends, what with houses and cities and irrigation and the destruction of other species and whatnot. Even with our expertise there, we're still managing to fuck it all up, due to human nature.

So far, our forays into genetics and AI are limited in scope. Genetics has an excuse. It's still a very young science. AI has no such excuse. We've been trying to program intelligence into computers for over 45 years. About its only excuse is that we have no accurate model for our own intelligence. (That may be changing, what with the study of emergence and a larger focus of information theory as an independent field of research.)

Here's the problem:

I tend toward your point of view. I firmly believe we can have self-sustaining colonies on planets in our own solar system. It'll take a long while before they are self-sustaining, but I believe it can be done.

And I'm with Hamby in that it's likely it'll be thousands of years before we can travel to another habitable planet orbiting a neighboring star. The likelihood of us getting there is pretty slim. The technological hurdles aren't the thing holding us back, just as I mentioned that technological issues and questions of resource aren't holding us back in fixing the real problems here on earth.

The core problem is human nature. Even our tiny and friendly disagreement in this thread indicates that intelligent people with strong educational backgrounds and consensus on religion can't agree on much beyond the basics.

Throw in people who are greedy, who game the system, who are willing to exploit others for their own gain, and you have the essential problems of the human condition. Mix that with a little bit of tribalism (America -- love it or leave it!), and you have a nice cocktail for fucked-up-titude.

At least, that's how I see it. As per usual, I could be wrong.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Actually, no.  I wasn't saying that for effect.  I really do find it so incoherent that I don't even know how to talk about it.  Before I'd even know how to ask you a question about it, I'd have to know what you mean by most of the words.

Quote:

Again, I'm not sure.  If you believe that consciousness is not tied to a physical body and that people's minds are entirely a result of local physical phenomena, it's pretty much impossible that you would have taken the same route as me, as I am a strict materialist, and I believe that consciousness is wholly dependent on being alive, in the biological sense.

A small clarification here, I do believe consciousness is attached to a physical body and that human minds are the manifestation of physical phenomena. The point of difference here is subtle and possibly a little more unique than you'd expect, so it's not surprising that our communication could break down around it.

PS. to Kevin, thanks for taking the time out to clear up what went on earlier in the thread. It's no problem, mornings can be a bitch.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The point of

Quote:
The point of difference here is subtle and possibly a little more unique than you'd expect, so it's not surprising that our communication could break down around it.

Well, that's probably why it's broken.  What you've just said appears contradictory to your previously stated belief.  To say that there's a subtle difference is to say nothing unless the subtle difference is clearly explained.  (I'm not actually asking for an explanation, just pointing out why I think it's hard for me to understand you.)

Quote:
PS. to Kevin, thanks for taking the time out to clear up what went on earlier in the thread. It's no problem, mornings can be a bitch.

Yeah.  No problem at all. 

Actually, kudos to DamnDirtyApe for illustrating a really excellent point with this thread.  It's nice to remember from time to time just how emotionally attached we can get to things that make us feel good.

Books about atheism

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Actually, kudos to DamnDirtyApe for illustrating a really excellent point with this thread.  It's nice to remember from time to time just how emotionally attached we can get to things that make us feel good.

Mmm.  Kudos.  Sorry I couldn't be there when you guys were in the thick of it.  I was ducking in in between steps of a fairly delicate process.  What can I say, mRNA's a bitch to handle.

--Bertrand Russell

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was thinking about the

I was thinking about the colonisation of other planets, or even landing on other life-filled planets. Even if the atmospheric and climatic environment is suitable for life like ourselves, it still wouldn't be suitable for us, nor would it be suitable for the life that exists on that planet for us to land there. The problem is diseases.

When Europeans first settled in America they brought with them European diseases which killed off vast amounts of natives who had no immunity to them. It's likely that diseases on another planet that are harmless to the life on that planet could be extremely dangerous to us, and our diseases to them. Indeed who's to say that two biological populations that evolved from scratch on separate planets could even live together without one killing the other, or them both killing each other. Even if we, and any intelligent species living on that planet both sought peace we would probably still kill each other unintentionally.

The way to do it, is probably to make contact at a distance, and perhaps eventually if an understanding is met, begin some kind of immunisation process before entering their planet. This is unlikely, even if they are human-like in some respects there's no guarantee they would be reasonable or scientific.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:The problem is

Quote:
The problem is diseases.

Yes.  If there was a planet with life, the life would have begun as some kind of single something.  Because of the simple math, there would be lots of single somethings, regardless of how far life had evolved.  Single somethings reproduce really fast and multiply exponentially.  There wouldn't be anything like a virus that would hurt us because viruses evolve with their hosts.  However, our bodies would be completely unprepared for any equivalent to bacteria that existed.

As life on that planet evolved, various organisms would develop defenses against each other.  We would not have any evolutionary defenses against any that happened to work against us, too.  It would definitely be a crapshoot.

Quote:
Indeed who's to say that two biological populations that evolved from scratch on separate planets could even live together without one killing the other, or them both killing each other.

Curiously, there's the possibility that life would be quite similar to ours.  The reason animals have two legs or four is that three legs are not as good.  Given an earth-like environment, if legs had developed, they would very likely be in pairs.  Eyesight has evolved independently at least six or eight times on earth.  Things would probably develop sight on other worlds, too.  We can assume that cooperation would exist because it's such an enormous mathematical advantage.  If there were intelligent beings, we could guess with some confidence that they would have language and that they would have some way to manipulate their environment -- like hands of some sort.

I don't know enough about the nuts and bolts of DNA to say if it would be likely to form in a similar way elsewhere, or whether this way was essentially arbitrary, and there are many other possible ways that the first replicator could have formed.

Quote:
This is unlikely, even if they are human-like in some respects there's no guarantee they would be reasonable or scientific.

If they are neither human-like nor reasonable nor scientific, God would want us to have their planet for our own.

Books about atheism

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Jacob Cordingley wrote:When

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

When Europeans first settled in America they brought with them European diseases which killed off vast amounts of natives who had no immunity to them. It's likely that diseases on another planet that are harmless to the life on that planet could be extremely dangerous to us, and our diseases to them. Indeed who's to say that two biological populations that evolved from scratch on separate planets could even live together without one killing the other, or them both killing each other. Even if we, and any intelligent species living on that planet both sought peace we would probably still kill each other unintentionally.

While the idea that we could catch a disease from them or the other way around is possible, I consider it highly unlikely.  Europeans coming to the Americas is a bad example.  To the European diseases Native Americans were just humans with little to no resistance.  So a species spreading a disease to other members of the same species is obviously a danger.

However, could you tell me one disease that humans can give to say.....alligators?

There are a lot of things that can spread within a species.

Fewer that can spread among say all the mammals.

Damn fewer that can spread between mammals and reptiles.

Can anything at all disease wise spread between mammals and fish?

Their disease would have evolved to fit the environment of their bodies, not ours.  Our bodies most likely would be an incompatible environment for them to survive.

What if they are silicon based where as we are carbon based?

War of the Worlds was a good flick and all.  But I'm still not buying how the aliens died at the end.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:However, could you

Quote:
However, could you tell me one disease that humans can give to say.....alligators?

I agree with you that giving diseases is unlikely (at first).  That's why I made a distinction between viruses and bacteria.  Alligators and humans both get gangrene.

Quote:
War of the Worlds was a good flick and all.  But I'm still not buying how the aliens died at the end.

I always thought he just got tired of writing and had to do something to end the book.

Anyway, I'm imagining that on earth, we have all sorts of tiny things that fuck with our health, from allergens to bacteria to mold to chemicals produced by microbes.  We've developed ways to deal with a lot of it.  Allergies are just a bother to most people, for instance.  Consider, though, that another planet might have lots and lots of little airborne thingies that are alive.  They wouldn't know what to do with our cells unless eukaryotes are a very likely way evolution develops.  However, our cells wouldn't know what to do either.  Would our t-cells even respond to them?  If they did, would there be anything they could do?  If these things produced a toxic chemical when they died, and they were all in the air, that would be pretty bad.

Anyway, I'm just making shit up, and I know it.  I guess my only point is that lots of microscopic things in an environment would certainly pose a potential hazard.  (Oh, and we haven't even begun to address how long it would take their version of viruses to figure out how to get into our cells.  Total speculation without knowing how fast they mutate, what their replicators are, etc...)

Books about atheism

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote: While the

Watcher wrote:

While the idea that we could catch a disease from them or the other way around is possible, I consider it highly unlikely.  Europeans coming to the Americas is a bad example.  To the European diseases Native Americans were just humans with little to no resistance.  So a species spreading a disease to other members of the same species is obviously a danger.

Their disease would have evolved to fit the environment of their bodies, not ours.  Our bodies most likely would be an incompatible environment for them to survive.

You're largely correct on that point of potential extraterrestrial life, but given how little we actually know about microbial diversity, a pathogen or parasite with equal taste for mammals and reptiles is a distinct possibility which grows more likely with human encroachment.  

As for silicon based life, let's not start with that.  Although silicon does have an identical outer valence shell to carbon, it still doesn't form silicon-silicon double bonds and triple bonds with anything like the frequency of carbon, which shuts down a whole lot of possibilities for life.  Furthermore silicon dioxide precipitates out in aqueous solutions, so your silicon based organisms will find water completely toxic.   

--Bertrand Russell

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
That certainly sounds

That certainly sounds plausible to me, Hamby.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
DamnDirtyApe wrote: As for

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

As for silicon based life, let's not start with that.  Although silicon does have an identical outer valence shell to carbon, it still doesn't form silicon-silicon double bonds and triple bonds with anything like the frequency of carbon, which shuts down a whole lot of possibilities for life.  Furthermore silicon dioxide precipitates out in aqueous solutions, so your silicon based organisms will find water completely toxic.   

I'll bow to your greater knowledge on this.  I got the idea about silicon based life forms from Carl Sagan.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:DamnDirtyApe

Watcher wrote:

DamnDirtyApe wrote:

I'll bow to your greater knowledge on this.  I got the idea about silicon based life forms from Carl Sagan.

Hey, I love Carl Sagan myself, but he's from a generation of scientists who shunned cross-talk among the disciplines.  Being an astronomer by trade, he often made ill advised trips outside of his home territory and never got corrected.  Also he suffered from a bias against popularization of science, which was hardly his fault.  Neil DeGrasse Tyson is the perfect intellectual descendant to the man.

--Bertrand Russell

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Also he suffered from

Quote:
Also he suffered from a bias against popularization of science, which was hardly his fault.

Really?

The man who did Cosmos?  And liked photo ops in classrooms teaching children about the solar system?  This is news to me.

Quote:
Neil DeGrasse Tyson is the perfect intellectual descendant to the man.

I find Tyson to be incredibly grating.  I feel almost certain I wouldn't like him in person.

Books about atheism

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Quote:Also

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
Also he suffered from a bias against popularization of science, which was hardly his fault.

Really?

The man who did Cosmos?  And liked photo ops in classrooms teaching children about the solar system?  This is news to me.

I believe that he meant that Sagan suffered from bias against him from other scientists for his popularization of science to the general public.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:Jacob

Watcher wrote:

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

One of my friends used to joke around with the notion of SETI someday just finding a giant blob of grey goo that was ponderous drifting towards Earth.

"Well, we have some good news, and we've got a bit of bad news. The good news is a real stunner: we finally found it! The evidence of extra-terrestrial life elsewhere in the universe!"

"That's great! Err... what's the bad news?"

"...Well, the evidence? It comes in the form of a giant form of microscopic robots that likely ate whoever made them, whatever world they lived on, and probably whatever solar system the world was located in. And they're drifting toward us.

Oh, don't worry - they aren't going to eat us. They cloud's mass is so enormous that in a few days, it's gravitational influence is going to rip Earth out of it's orbit. We'll all be frozen to death by the time the machines actually reach us."

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise: What hat are you

Eloise: What hat are you wearing? It looks like it has a sci-fi logo on it.

You look absolutely stunning in that photo.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I believe that he

Quote:
I believe that he meant that Sagan suffered from bias against him from other scientists for his popularization of science to the general public.

Oooooohhhhhh...

Yeah...

Um...

[/Foot in Mouth OFF]

Books about atheism

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, ELOISE is a girl !

Yeah,  ELOISE is a girl ! A cute smart one. Marry me girl , be all mine , only mine,  I loved you from the first time I felt you  ......   Okay forget that , please consider me as one of your hoochie koo slaves     

My Baby Does the Hanky Panky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqYMqgXG8ks

God loves Eloise .....         

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I understand that there are

I understand that there are few diseases that we share with fish or reptiles. But, we have no idea what an extra-terrestrial biological environment could do to us. There could be microbes that are entirely benign to every species of "animal" or "plant" on that planet, that do not affect them. They could be digestion aiding microbes for a space cow, but to us they could be lethal. Let's say we come to a great peace deal with an intelligent species of life, we manage to communicate and strike up trading opportunities, we could still kill each other entirely by accident with our microbial residents. Oops, my gut bacteria just killed Zorg! Damn! Oh no Xew's second brain gongols have made me very ill!