Listing contradictions in christianity

WBFL
User is offlineOffline
Listing contradictions in christianity

For my first post I thought I'd list some contradictions I most often find.

1) God in all his saintliness has commited most of the seven deadly sins, yet damns us eternally for it.

2) It took God, who supposedly has infinite power, seven days to create the earth... then had to rest, i can see the power there....

3)It is impossible not to sin, period.

a) vanity- to be overly obsessed(does not pertain only to looks), when a preach is preaching the word of God he is sinning.

b)sloth- laziness, sleeping too long is a sin, btw what would be the cut off point for "too much sleep?"

c)lust- strong desire, usually sexually, self-explanatory

d)greed-wanting things, who hasn't?

e)envy- wanting someone else has, not necessarily an everyday thing but still...

f)wrath-getting angry Cursing Man, a natural reaction, which God has commited on a massive scale(throwing Lucifer out of heaven for proving him failable)

4)Although the bible says you shouldn't pray publicly (matt 6:6) christians still try to push prayer in school

5)Catholic priests like to mess around with little boys....

6)God has been proven failable many-a-times, not all powerful

That's all I can think of right now, I know I have more but w/e. If you can think of any feel free to post.

Knowledge is power
Power leads to corruption
Corrution leads to crime
Crime doesn't pay
So if you study you'll go broke.

WBFL
User is offlineOffline
Forgot the fact that most

Forgot the fact that most wars are Holy Wars, 1st comndment says dont kill.. but if its in the name of God its ok? Does that mean i get to kill christians in the name of God?

Knowledge is power
Power leads to corruption
Corrution leads to crime
Crime doesn't pay
So if you study you'll go broke.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums.Out of

Welcome to the forums.

Out of curiosity, wouldn't it be easier to just list the things that are logically consistent in Christianity?  I mean, granted, it would be  a very short thread, but much easier.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Mr. Atheist (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
God sinning is not bad

God sinning is not bad because he can forgive himself.  Being a judge of others and a judge of yourself is totally different...just ask the prostitute loving governor.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
A "sin" is supposedly going

A "sin" is supposedly going against god's will.  So by definition god can't sin.

Or did I miss something in Sunday School?

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Sean16
User is offlineOffline
Contradictions

Well I have been trying to keep a list in my head of contradictions i see every day going to a catholic school.  So they aren't necessarily christian contradictions, but catholic. 

-One of the most evident ones that i see is that I'd say 75% of the people at my school recognize evolution as truth, but say that it was influenced by God and was the way he created us.  This ignores one huge idea.  It is their common belief that animals do not have souls and that humans do.  So if evolution is true, then when did we get our souls?  When asked this majority of them will say that we got our souls when we became human, and pretty much show off how they don't understand the theory of evolution at all.  Others will say they don't know and then just forget about it.

-Another one is that God is all-powerful and created everything, but Satan and hell exist somehow and all the evil in the world isn't the work of God but the work of Satan because of our sins giving him power (What? If God created everything doesn't that mean he created hell and Satan too?)

-If God is all-knowing, and he created all of us, wouldn't he know before creating us what we would do? And if we were going to sin, wouldn't that basically be creating us just to be punished?  This is commonly refuted by saying God is outside of time, and thus there is no "before."  This argument I am still working on breaking, but if i recall correctly, if you were outside of time, you would see sequences of events as if they were just on a piece of paper rather than unfolding in time, so God would still know nonetheless. If you know a better way of arguing this let me know.

-Obscenity is a sin, yet Ezekiel 23:19-20 is in the bible.

-The Pope is infallible, yet the church has recognized it has been corrupt before

I could go on and on, but I'm tired for now

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you want contradictions

If you want contradictions just hop over to the Skeptics Annotated Bible.I love reading there.It really does mke the bible come to life..

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/

One of my favorites is:

God is love

I am a jealous god

Love is not jealous

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.