If science offerd immortality would you accept?

NickB
High Level DonorSpecial Agent
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
If science offerd immortality would you accept?

Religion is always inferior, with God you can live forever but sadly you have to die first. Science, well with science you can literally live forever. Ok I am jumping the gun a little, the technology is still being developed and while feasible it still is only theoretical (as far as I know). Surprisingly this new technology is not some kind of formula that turns back the aging process. It is something much, much more efficient. The idea is to download the information on your brain into a computer and then upload it into a younger clone of yourself. The clone would of course need to be raised in a vegetative state or perhaps even created when you need it.

If this technology becomes available sometime in the next decade or two I doubt this would exactly be legal. However I am sure some scientist in some European country will do it for the right price. 

The question is if you had the chance would you do it? Would you want to be immortal?

My answer is 'yes' I would do it in a heat beat.

The other more important question is what impact would this have on religion in your opinion?

I think it would cause a lot of problems since it proves that we are just the sum total of the information in our brains. There is no soul, no magic, our self awareness is just electricity....

EDIT: I should have clarified the clone is not copy of you it is you, the data is transfered from your brain to a new brain. So the information in the brain of your original body is wiped clean as it is uploaded into the new mind. If all we are is a collection of memories it shouldn’t be a problem.

If Jesus was born today he would be institutionalized as a schizophrenic with delusions of grandeur.

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would, for the first

I would, for the first couple of centuries I guess. I really want to travel in space, but it would be sad. Imagine, you could visit your own grave. If you weren't buried yet you could look at yourself from the eyes of another person. It would also be weird/sad to be able to remember all your friends who died over 300 years ago. I think it would be bitter sweet. I'd want to die eventually.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think it would be really

I think it would be really cool to see what happens slightly beyond our lifespans... for instance, I'm sure Copernicus would shit a brick to spend 15 minutes with one of today's telescopes.

However, I would jump at the chance to live even just a short time - say 5 or 10 years - with perfect health over an infinite life span.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
so many variables in regards

so many variables in regards to such a topic, but short answer... yes

(i would also ditch this friggin meatbag in a second... bring on the alloy! )

What Would Kharn Do?

jonasnz1
User is offlineOffline
I think uploading a "copy"

I think uploading a "copy" of your mind to a computer, would be just that (a copy of you.)

I think the key to true immortality, is to use stem cell type research, to renew aging organs, body, and brains.

Even cloning an adult, has its problems...your still cloning "old" cells.

As we all know, a cell has only so many replications that it can do, before cell death.

If you create a clone from an old cell, the same number of replications still apply to the clone.

But by using stem cells to grow totally new cells, that could take over after the old cells die, then you are on the road to real immortality.

Of course its more complicated than that, but you get the gist.

In answer to your original question, yes, I would take immortality.

P.S. Id take the Alloy body too.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes. Oh, yes, yes. In the

Yes. Oh, yes, yes. In the form you describe especially, as once you really did hit the limit of experience and life was no longer exciting and interesting, you could let your current body die, and vanish along with it.

I'm less interested in true immortality than I am in (admittedly rather selfishly) wanting to choose when I am really ready to go.

It would cause all manner of problems in the religious realms. I'd bet on the "refreshed" humans being considered "soulless automaton" or among the more extreme, demons. It would call into question the existence of the soul, the meaning of death, what control (if any) 'god' has over us... a nice little mess.

Philosophically there'd be the question "is the refreshed human really the same person as the original?" (Which I think is "no, not really".)

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

daretoknow
Superfan
daretoknow's picture
User is offlineOffline
Man the thought really

Man the thought really freaked me out when I started extrapolating forward and imagined myself in the position of immortality. Can you imagine seeing everyone around you who couldn't do it for some reason old and dying? Imagine your kids deciding not to do it and attending they're funeral in a 20 year old body knowing they had a full life. <---- (that one was tremendously strange to consider.) I would say yes at this point in my life though. It's pretty fkn sweet to be alive Smiling.

Thats cute.

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
No one who is young and

No one who is young and healthy (of even an ancient 35 and a bit flabby) can reallly answer that question. I went to a good British Humanism Association regarding the ethnics of life extension and a good point was made is very few healthy people want to die at the age of most the people who come to this site. You need to ask that question to people who are 60 70 80 100 120 etc?.

I do think however that immortalilty would have to be a crime through for purely practical reasons (thats going to piss of  liberatarians and make the right to life a bit obsolete)

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not sure that would be

I'm not sure that would be immortality.

I would take an option to live forever with my body staying at the age of 24, but I would still need the ability to be able to die on command just in case.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

Cali_Athiest2
Cali_Athiest2's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think it would impact

I think it would impact religion to some extent. Religions have evolved as a way for mankind to come to terms with death so there would have to be some result. I cannot say if it would increase the number of religious followers or not, but we are living longer now than ever and in many countries the numbers of unbelievers are falling. I realize that this may just be a correlation, but might be an interesting study to find out why this is.

Death actually gives meaning to life in the long run. I would probably find myself using the excuse, "I'll do it tomorrow" quite a bit. If someone actually had an infinite number of days, why would there be a hurry to accomplish anything? Ethically, I would have problems with this concept of increasing life spans unnaturally. However, it would be cool to see what the future would be like in 200 years.

"Always seek out the truth, but avoid at all costs those that claim to have found it" ANONYMOUS

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't see that we would

I don't see that we would have an excuse not to do anything... all of us just sitting around would just soak up resources we'd eventually run out of and then there's the whole problem of getting off the planet.  of course now there would be population reasons as well as environmental ones.

also this scenario doesn't seem to get around the whole run over by a bus mode of death... i don't know that it would be much different to today seeing that we now have dramatically longer lifespans thanks to the technology of sanitation and medicine.

i think it would be condemned among religious circles similar to that of stem cell research... that is, we would be accused of 'playing god.'

Maytacera
Maytacera's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't see why not.

If science figured it out I'd be all over that. Worst that can happen is you would get tired of being alive.

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually, the idea of living

Actually, the idea of living forever (while tempting and awesome looking)...seems like it might become restless. Damn. Forever is a LOOONGG time.

I might take it...but as much as I feel like I never want to die, the idea that nobody lives forever is sort of peaceful. It's what every creature "understands" on this planet. Changing it would throw off a balance that reminds me of a bad sci-fi movie or a Twilight zone episode. Creepy thought.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Live forever ?   

Live forever ?    .....unh uh, no freaking way, forget about it.   When I'm gone I don't ever want to come back.  Fuck that shit !

NickB
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
I guess what it all really

I guess what it all really comes down to is how much you love your life.

Anyway I should have clarified the clone is not copy of you it is you, the data is transfered from your brain to a new brain. So the information in the brain of your original body is wiped clean as it is uploaded into the new mind. If all we are is a collection of memories it shouldn’t be a problem.

If Jesus was born today he would be institutionalized as a schizophrenic with delusions of grandeur.

lieutenant24
lieutenant24's picture
User is offlineOffline
With a Few Conditions

I would say "yes" to immortality, but not in the described form. A copy of me is not the same thing as me.

If I could live forever without the adverse affects of age, then definitely. If I'm going to keep getting older, that's a resounding "no."

Honestly though, I only clicked on this thread because I though science was offering "immorality" not "immortality." I'm sure you understand my disappointment. Smiling

COME TO THE DARK SIDE -- WE HAVE COOKIES

NickB
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
It would not be a copyt of

It would not be a copyt of you though, it is more like transfering information from one brain to another. Your brain in your old body is wiped clean....

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wouldn't want to do it. 

I wouldn't want to do it.  I am perfectly fine living an average lifetime and dying in old age.  Personally, humanity has so horribly destroyed this world I would not want to be around when the world sticks it back to us.  In any event, man would find some way to screw up this science and turn it into some weapon or what have you.  I'd rather not take it.  Instead, I would rather make this life worth living to the best of my ability, and die knowing I did.  Probably not the answer a lot of people would give.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

NickB
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
As good an answer as any. If

As good an answer as any.

If we master space we can terraform Mars, yes I am jumping th gun again it is feasible but theoretical. So if we somehow manage to get to Mars before Earth totally fucks up the human race might survive.

Anyway the point is it would be cool to live 3k years and see Mars become like Earth.

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mehaps.  I'm not going to

Mehaps.  I'm not going to say it wouldn't be cool.  But I don't think the world will survive 300 years.  So 3,000 is probably not feasible.  That is why I am doing what I do - because if we don't end religion, it could be over a lot sooner.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
I see that most people are

I see that most people are making the mistake of immortality = invincibility

Its not as if you would still live for eternity if your head was severed and locked in a damn closet >.>

Its just the chance to live until you feel you want to die... or until some one finally drops a piano on your head ^_^

shelleymtjoy wrote:

I don't see that we would have an excuse not to do anything... all of us just sitting around would just soak up resources we'd eventually run out

behold the beauty of an alloy body, no resource troubles

shelleymtjoy wrote:

of and then there's the whole problem of getting off the planet.  of course now there would be population reasons as well as environmental ones.

Getting off our little rock was never the problem, it was getting to another solar system before we died >.>

if we were immortal, we may finally be able to colonize other systems... in... 125,000 years

and ya, im REALLY hoping for those "Ghost in a Shell" cyborg bodies

What Would Kharn Do?

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would like to live for a

I would like to live for a couple of hundred years,or milennia,but the concept of forever is a little overwhelming. I'm not sure how long this race will last without destroying itself anyway. Ideally, I'd like a kind of Star Trek world.Then I could spend thousands of years traveling the universe,constantly finding new and interesting things. However,humanity would have to unite first.I think we'd need a eternity just for that.

It would probably deal a big blow to religion. The premises of most religions is to prey on the natural fear of death.When this is removed or at least greatly delayed, I doubt it'd take people long to realise praying to a invisible being so you can live forever after you die is abit silly. Being a theist for 60 years is bad enough,who'd want to do it for 60,000?

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd take it, but I'd only

I'd take it, but I'd only live as long as the Earth. I'd jump at the chance to go down with our wonderful and terrible little ship, if only because I'm ever so curious about the end of her story (Will she make it all the way until she dries-up with her crew still intact? How many more major collisions will she endure? ...Will we wind-up being her doom, in the end, somehow?).

Living forever (or, well, until the end of the universe) would be... well, just a little too long for me. Yes, that's likely an interesting tale too - but it's just a tad long for me.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Mikayla_Starstuff
Mikayla_Starstuff's picture
User is offlineOffline
No. As much as I love life,

No. As much as I love life, really in the day to day it is rather boring and a lot of work LOL. I'd rather just have my bit of time here and then make room other people. Life is impermanent, and if you try to make it permanent something is bound to go terribly wrong. That is my feeling on it anyway.

-Mikel

NickB
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I have fun every day, I

I have fun every day, I even find fun in the most mundane tasks. I would like to live as long as the Universe lives and even then I will be looking for a way to get to another Universe. I am confident that there is nothing after death so I see no reason I should just cease to exist.

Hopefully immortality becomes a reality soon.

The other side to this technology is expanding our memory and knowledge. Apparently we can store info in these chips and implant them into our heads. We will then be able to access the info as if it is something we learned. What I think would be really cool is when it all becomes wireless, you can do that Matrix style learn to fly a helicopter in 5 seconds stuff. You just call the company, give you credit card info and then they download what you want to your brain. Implanting information in our heads will change the world. Imagine how much faster we will advance. It will abolish the need for school since any knowledge needed would just be implanted.

From what I understand animal trials have been done with success. Extending a lab rats memory for example.  

Science is so much fucking fun....... screw church.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
I do realize you guys are

I do realize you guys are merely playing "lets pretend", but it does give me a lip twitch. I am certainly sure that science will extend the average life span of humans, how far? Who knows.

But lets not be absurd. If one has their head blown off with a shotgun, I doubt there will ever be scientific advancements to replace the human head and all the thoughts contained therein.

But since we are playing "what if", my answer would be no, I would not want to live forever, just as I find the absurdity of a "heaven" concept to be quite boring.

As much as I like shows like Star Trec, I am certainly sure that there will be things that will never be reality no matter how much we want them to be, just like Newton's alchemy.

Call me a stick in the mud and a fuddy duddy, but that is my unfiltered opinion.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

NickB
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well this is all run from a

Well this is all run from a chip in your brain so as long as the chip is being constantly update like your real brain a shotgun blast to the head would not really kill you. It is just a case of getting the chip and putting it into the brain of a new body. I guess it really depends on how you define life and death.

I agree that some of this is "let's pretend" but for the most part it isn't. This technology is being pioneered as we speak, it will probably be in use in the near future. Probably not to extend life at first but to extend memory and implant knowledge definitely. It is like adding an extra hard drive to your PC.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
NickB wrote:Well this is all

NickB wrote:

Well this is all run from a chip in your brain so as long as the chip is being constantly update like your real brain a shotgun blast to the head would not really kill you. It is just a case of getting the chip and putting it into the brain of a new body. I guess it really depends on how you define life and death.

I agree that some of this is "let's pretend" but for the most part it isn't. This technology is being pioneered as we speak, it will probably be in use in the near future. Probably not to extend life at first but to extend memory and implant knowledge definitely. It is like adding an extra hard drive to your PC.

I think someone put Tribbles in your Corn Flakes. Tell me what technology we have that can record human thoughts and memories like a DVR can record a TV show.

Let me add, that I have no doubt that we can get to the point of making limbs and eyes that are artificial that have computer chips. But that is NOT the same and there is a HUGE gap, between that and actually putting a chip in someone's brain that will scan their brain and record and store every thought and memory in their entire life from birth. That is just downright absurd sci fi garbage.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

NickB
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think somebody should

I think somebody should learn to read.....

This technology is being pioneered
as we speak.

dictionary.com:
pi·o·neer
n.  

1. One who ventures into unknown or unclaimed territory to settle.
  2. One who opens up new areas of thought, research, or development: a pioneer in aviation.

However we do actually have technology that can read human thoughts and turn them into actions. Like for example we have the technology to interface the brain with a computer and have your brain control the movement of your mouse across the screen. We also have the technology to put wires in peoples brains that can change their personality, improve memory, and terminate unhealthy impulses. Last I heard though the improving memory thing was accidental.

Regardless of all that the fact is I said the technology is being pioneered, I did not say it is in use, complete, or close to complete.

michaelclarke
michaelclarke's picture
User is offlineOffline
Can't live forever

Even if a person could live litterely forever, i don't think I'd want to. It could get pretty boring after a few billion or trillion years. Most of the posters to this article look young-from their pictures.

But as a person gets older you lose the zest for life and don't fear death so much. But manybe that's just because my body is getting older.

Mike Clarke

NickB
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
michaelclarke wrote:  Even

michaelclarke wrote:

Even if a person could live litterely forever, i don't think I'd want to. It could get pretty boring after a few billion or trillion years. Most of the posters to this article look young-from their pictures.

But as a person gets older you lose the zest for life and don't fear death so much. But manybe that's just because my body is getting older.

Yeh thats what I think, jumping back into a 20 year old body it might get a lot more fun....

Marci
Marci's picture
User is offlineOffline
Everyone who thinks that

Everyone who thinks that living forever is fun should read Simone de Beauvoir's All Men are Mortal.

The story does not suit exactly for your rules, Nick, because Fosca is not getting older and is invincible, though with an unlimited source of clones there is not much difference.

jonasnz1
User is offlineOffline
Marci wrote:Everyone who

Marci wrote:

Everyone who thinks that living forever is fun should read Simone de Beauvoir's All Men are Mortal.

The story does not suit exactly for your rules, Nick, because Fosca is not getting older and is invincible, though with an unlimited source of clones there is not much difference.

No, there's one very important difference.....you can die, if you choose to.

Marci
Marci's picture
User is offlineOffline
NickB wrote:The question is

NickB wrote:

The question is if you had the chance would you do it? Would you want to be immortal?

NickB
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
   Well one man&rsquo;s

Well one man’s hell is another man’s heaven right...?

It's like religion, most of us here are atheists and most of us are of the mindset that religious people are deluded. Religious people think we are deluded. It would be the same with immortality; you would have the group that think immortal wannabes are deluded and the immortal wannabes thinking the guys that want to die are deluded.

I know immortality will have draw backs, I do not doubt it for a second. The question is would I rather wither away and cease to exist? Probably not. I know that if in the next 50 years that technology becomes available I will throw every million I have earned by that point at some scientists to put me back in a 20 year old body.

I think it also has a lot to do with what you want out of life. If you want to get married and have children immortality would suck. Seeing your children die would probably not be fun. If you do not want to get married and don't want children it might be a little different. I believe truly answering this question would take a lot more than 2 sentences on a forum. It is all well and good to say right here and now you wouldn’t but I would imagine many people’s minds would change quickly if they were presented with the opportunity.

NickB
NickB's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain-computer_interface

Here is a wiki link to the technology I was referring to.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
  What ? I can't die , it

What ? I can't die , it can't happen, that is impossible, are you all silly ?    Imagine being dead ? Ummm , Sorry, I can't ......      

Of course I know what you mean ... to no longer be the me as the conscious thing I am now.

As long as I could end it I would choose 'forever' ... at first thought anyhow.

theevolvedone
theevolvedone's picture
User is offlineOffline
Absolutely, I love life,

Absolutely, I love life, however boring it can get from time to time.  If i could not die I would also have more chances to do some good in the world and further my education further than any mortal ever could.  We humans are reaching a point where death is not necessary for all of life to go on.  To me death is just a genetic disorder everyone has to live with until we perfect technolgies such as stem cells, nanotechnology, and A.I.

Doubt is the root of all wisdom. - Unknown

Knowing will come from the practice of understanding - Myself

c0mputar
User is offlineOffline
I hate talking about this

I hate talking about this subject because of the age span of people who read these posts. However, since there is a probability of dying from unnatural causes and incurable diseases, then it's unlikely that many people are going to live for centuries, with the same portion from those still alive living for thousands of years. Eventually we will all die when the universe collapses on itself, and so will it be easier to die after a few hundred years, after you've done everything that could possibly be done in ones life, or a few billion years?

On with my writeup that I'm pasting from facebook.

There will be several stages that we we'll go through in our quest for immortality, and the first few stages will only be able to prolong our lives.

Our journey begins with stem-cell research, and the manufacturing of organs to replace our dying ones, with the exception of our brain. Theoretically if our brain never aged, then as long as we replaced all our other organs, and laced our bones with iron or something every 80 years, then we could live forever. However, our brain does age and so we would die once our brain gets some incurable disease or something or just went away with age.

Our next step is something I haven't look into much, but it has to do with manipulating our genes (it also works if your currently alive, and not just an embryo still) so that we age significantly slower. After all, aging is just a countermeasure against cancer(cancer accelerates growth production while age does the opposite, I THINK it's accepted that aging is a defense mechanism to slow down the growth of cancers and/or prevent them, but digg is not a reliable source). Aging is a result of other things as well but I have no idea what they are, I'm no biologist. Current results with yeast have yielded an increase in life by 8x, and there currently working with humans that have a particular gene mutation that is for some reason only found somewhere in South America. So let's say the 8x increase in life carries over to humans, then assuming we can replace all our organs, except the brain, every 80-800 years, then we will live til we're 800 because that's how long it'll take for our brain to age... Hopefully in 800 years, other advancements in technology, unforeseen by scientists, will yield results that will extend our lives even further, and further, but not for eternity.

The last stage, and by far the coolest, deals with how we can make our brain last for ever. Oh shit! Now for the longest time I believed that it would be possible to transfer all the information in our brain with wires into a mechanical brain. However, I have conceded the fact that the process would require at least a split second of time where our brain would no longer be functioning before it was rebooted into the new mechanical brain. As a result of this process, it's most likely that we'll have the following resulting scenarios: During the transfer of information from the real brain to the mechanical brain, "you" will cease to exist, and another person with all your memories and personal quirks will reappear in the mechanical brain. Or "you" will still exist in the real brain, but your brain's information was simply cloned into the mechanical brain, and so there would be twins with all the same experiences, but only the real brain is "you". So in the end, "you" will still die.

The alternative? Some radical ass guy I read about through digg, who is the hero of this post (I later found out this is actually promising idea that scientists have considered), came up with an idea that whenever a brain cell dies, we should replace it with a mechanical brain cell. Since each brain cell dies and another is made every several years, this process could be done. A brain cell is just a neuron that fires electrical impulses, and so who's to say we can't manufacture something to do exactly that? Give us the time and someone will figure it out. Now since it takes several years for the transition from a full real human brain, to a mechanical brain, to occur, then there is no point in that time frame where "you" would cease to exist. Eventually, your brain will be completely mechanical but operating just like an ordinary human brain. The only question remains, how will the new "you" slowly transform? I'm sure there may be inherent side-effects to our personality and neural behavior if the brain was made of up millions of machines, rather then chemicals and neurons. Perhaps, with more time, they'll be able to reduce those side-effects until there are none.

About the last half of this post is experimental stuff, but they seem like logical ideas and even sci-fi writers have been right about the future... especially Isaac Asimov... that guy is a superstar.

jz1120
Superfan
jz1120's picture
User is offlineOffline
IMHO...Imortality would be

IMHO...Imortality would be great! I do not think we would get bored. People get bored because they reach a point where the stop growing and expanding. I think we have an infinate capacity for growth. Imortality is not imposible, it is just not posible today. In the next 30-40 years we will reach a point where we will increase life expectancy by as much a 50 years. It is possible that within that extra 50 years we will be able to unlock the secerts of imortality.

Shelly...If we were able to end death that would totally fuck the shit out of the church. No death...no hell...no hell no need to follow the bible. Take away the "live forever in heaven" thing and it has no appeal at all. Why not live forever here on earth without all the BS that goes along with religion! They would loose 99% of their members.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:IMHO...Imortality

Quote:
IMHO...Imortality would be great! I do not think we would get bored.

Consider:  The best cosmological models suggest several dire events:

1) The earth will become uninhabitable in an eyeblink of immortality.

2) Supposing the highly improbable -- that you could find another habitable planet with people who spoke your language -- that planet would become uninhabitable in an eyeblink of immortality.

3) Repeat #2 ad nauseum

4) The universe will die.  All matter will reach a point of heat equilibrium -- that is, all matter/energy will cease to move, and everything will be completely and utterly cold.

Surely you don't mean to outlive the universe, do you?  If you intend to perish at some point, then you are not talking about immortality.  You're talking about a very long life.  At what point would you want to die?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Yaerav
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Ugh.

I could't think of a greater nightmare then immortality. Sure, the first couple of millions of years may be bearable, but still having an infinite amount of of years ahead of me after that...? *shiver*

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
The things made possible by

The things made possible by immortality far outweigh any fear of boredom and losing my old home planet to me. So maybe I don't know what I'll do between visiting planets right now, but does that mean I'll never be able to think of anything to do? Absolutely not.

We might even find a way to get out of the universe before it dies. Someone 200 years ago couldn't image what we have today in their wildest science fiction dreams, why so pessimistic about what's possible in the future?

Todd
User is offlineOffline
The first ten million years

The first ten million years were the worst, the second ten million years were the worst too. The third ten million years I didn't enjoy at all, after that I went into a bit of a decline. 

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
I really do hate

I really do hate libertarianism and its obession with the individual.

Has anyone thought what the consequences of others if you don't die, the world becomes overcrowded and even if you can still remain immortal without resources its not going to be a very pleasant life for most.

There could only be one punishment for anyone who tries to introduce immortality death its the ultimate crime against humanity

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
So much easier to urge other

So much easier to urge other people to die than to do something yourself to solve the problems that lay at the root, isn't it? Smiling

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
As a follower of Extropian

As a follower of Extropian principles, and as one starting to believe that he is the only remaining Extropian on the planet, I keep my fingers crossed in hope of just such technology. It isn't that I mind death, but rather that death is such a terrible inconvenience. There is far too much to explore or learn in any one lifetime. The nearest extra-solar planets are prohibitively far away with just our brief span of years, but with a greatly extended lifespan they would become reachable.  Multiple college degrees leaves most people in the august of life, but with life expansion being a polymath is but a starting point for unlocking greater knowledge. 

So yes, I would jump at the chance. Full speed ahead, and damn the torpedoes. Is it live or is it memorex? The copy probably wouldn't know the difference or even give a damn.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
Desdenova wrote:as one

Desdenova wrote:

as one starting to believe that he is the only remaining Extropian on the planet

Don't believe that nonsense for a moment. Sticking out tongue

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Desdenova wrote:As a

Desdenova wrote:

As a follower of Extropian principles, and as one starting to believe that he is the only remaining Extropian on the planet, I keep my fingers crossed in hope of just such technology. It isn't that I mind death, but rather that death is such a terrible inconvenience. There is far too much to explore or learn in any one lifetime. The nearest extra-solar planets are prohibitively far away with just our brief span of years, but with a greatly extended lifespan they would become reachable.  Multiple college degrees leaves most people in the august of life, but with life expansion being a polymath is but a starting point for unlocking greater knowledge. 

So yes, I would jump at the chance. Full speed ahead, and damn the torpedoes. Is it live or is it memorex? The copy probably wouldn't know the difference or even give a damn.

Seconded.

'Immortality' would be dreadful, but a life extension of up to, say, a few million (perhaps even a few billion) years would be welcome. We could watch stars wither and die with such lifespans and traversing the galaxy would become much more plausible.

Uh. Hm. We know the mechanism behind aging (telomeres)... what are the barriers in 'correcting' it, per se?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, this is a very

Well, this is a very interesting thread. However, before I get to the philosophical and religious implications, I would like to reformulate the basic question. To start:

NickB wrote:
Anyway I should have clarified the clone is not copy of you it is you, the data is transfered from your brain to a new brain. So the information in the brain of your original body is wiped clean as it is uploaded into the new mind. If all we are is a collection of memories it shouldn’t be a problem.

Allow me to point out that whether the new you is a copy is probably not relevant to the question of “are you you?”. Granted, that is awkward phrasing but I find the distinction relevant.

Let's say for a point of discussion that in the future, there is this machine that works as described. You walk in one end and then you walk out the other end. What happens in the middle is not exactly relevant to you on a personal basis. All that matters is that an 80 year old geezer went in and a twenty year old dude walked out. The new you is a perfect copy, so it has all of the memories and wisdom of the old geezer.

So the reformulated question is thus: “Would you walk into the machine?”

Taken just like that, I would say yes, that is not a hard choice to make. Really, that is just advanced medical technology and specifically, it gives you another go-around on life. Heck but you don't even need to be an old geezer to do this. IRL, I am 45 and I already have two bad knees and a bad shoulder as a result of youthful excess. If this machine can fix that stuff, I see no reason not to walk into it today.

Would I walk into the machine over and over again until the universe reaches heat death? Honestly, that can't really be answered in any meaningful way. I don't know what my priorities will be in the future.

As far as there being philosophic/religious implications, I must return to the question of identity.

You walk into the machine and you walk out of the machine. All fine and well. But here, what happens in the machine becomes relevant. Just for shits and giggles, let's say that the machine records what needs to be copied instantly but it takes an hour to make the copy. From your POV, the process is instant but from the POV of the guy who runs the machine, for that hour, you do not exist in any meaningful sense.

Here is where it gets interesting. Say that there is a power failure during that hour. Now you cannot be recreated. Was it suicide to walk into the machine? Was it homicide for the operator to press the big green button?

An even better question would be what if I was so full of myself that I was willing to pay for two copies of me to be made? Then they go their separate ways. Which me is me? Are they both me but now there are two versions of me that continue along different paths?

Such questions are interesting on a philosophical basis. However, on a religious basis, the question of identity is also one of the soul. Note that I do not believe in the concept of a soul. Even so, if such a machine was made, does the destructive copy process mean that the copy has no soul? Does the multiple copy process create a pair of matched souls that start out identical but then diverge?

Then too, who creates souls? If it is something that god does, then does this machine force god to act? If it does, then what does that tell us about the omnipotence of god? That it is only real until man invents a machine that constrains god to perform certain acts?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
I suppose I would accept

I suppose I would accept immoratlity. One of my biggest fears is being diagnosed with some diasese and waiting to die. This way my death will be sudden no matter what (or chosen is it comes to that).

Quote:
An even better question would be what if I was so full of myself that I was willing to pay for two copies of me to be made? Then they go their separate ways. Which me is me? Are they both me but now there are two versions of me that continue along different paths?

I suppose it would be like a cell dividing. The daughter cells are just as much the parent cell as eachother. I assume leagally we would have to be registered as two different people.

Quote:

Such questions are interesting on a philosophical basis. However, on a religious basis, the question of identity is also one of the soul. Note that I do not believe in the concept of a soul. Even so, if such a machine was made, does the destructive copy process mean that the copy has no soul? Does the multiple copy process create a pair of matched souls that start out identical but then diverge?

No god, no problem. But if we did discover some sort of omnipotent god I suppose we would never know. It could go along with us and make new souls or it could destroy one or both of the copies or it could start a raging inferno that ingulfs all of man kind for doing something like this. It could even just minipulate the minds of scientists to stop them from developing such a technology. So, who knows?

I would also like to know this. Say when I am 25 I sustain a head injury that makes me mildly retarded. I live for forty more years and then get cloned. I no longer have any brain damage but the brain damage and the way of thinking  was what made me me an at this point I had live with the bran damage longer than without it. Am I still me? A question for everyone else is: what do you think it would be like to suddenly be much smarter?