OFFICIAL TEST THREAD HERE!

mr804
Special AgentSuperfan
mr804's picture
User is offlineOffline
OFFICIAL TEST THREAD HERE!

Welcome to the new version of the Rational Response Squad website!  We're still testing and tweaking the site, and would like it if you would post your comments about the new site design or any errors you come across.  Post test messages here, or issues you're having with the editor, forums, etc. 

new smiley-->

lazuli13
Scientist
lazuli13's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like it

Works great, looks a lot better than the old site.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.12) Gecko/20080129 Iceweasel/2.0.0.12 (Debian-2.0.0.12-0etch1)

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Your

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Your banner looks like Rambo Kitty is lining you guys up.

That's the idea. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
OK, now I see that in the

OK, now I see that in the ones that are cut off the ads still show up, but the actual posts are cut off by the ad (in other words the post shows up in the center part like normal, but shifted to the right.) I also see one it's happening all the time in now (the one in Trollville started by the retarded asshat twatwaffle who apprently likes getting pwned)

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
Matt: are you still using

Matt: are you still using IE6? if so is that a personal choice or something forced on you? We did our best to support all browsers, but it's close to impossible to get everything 100% correct without deviating from standards. We tested and tweaked this theme for weeks trying to get it working in every browser. As far as we can tell it works well in Firefox and IE7. IE6 just has too many display and rendering bugs that are impossible to program around if you wish to maintain cross-browser compatibility. Also, if you are using large fonts or something like that it might bork it. Matt, if you are using IE6 as a result of a personal choice, please consider moving to at least IE7, Firefox, or Opera. If you're not using IE6, then disregard.

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Vesha wrote:Much improved. 

Vesha wrote:

Much improved.  I think the powdered blue is hard to read against the gray background though.

I agree.  We went with a very light color originally and couldn't stand the glare.  We've been asked many times to get a light colored theme, and this is the middle ground we came up with. 

The men working on the theming and coloring for the site have every intention of redoing this theme in two more color schemes, one in a very light color, the other one very dark.  Those themes will take time, as our helpers are volunteers.  When the themes become available they will be available to all levels of subscribers and anyone with an elevated role on this site, like moderators and bloggers.

If you have good color coordination abilities and would like to suggest a color palette similar to this one (the mid-tones) please feel free to post them here or make an image, or convey them to us in some manner.  If you know HTML color codes, and have suggestions that's even better.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I use IE6. I had

Yeah, I use IE6. I had already downloaded IE 7 and Firefox but deleted both as I hated them so much and there was so much I couldn't figure out.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mmmmm... *sniff*

It still has that "new forum template" smell.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Well for the last 36 hours

Well for the last 36 hours we've been running an indexing operation that was taxing the crap out of our server.  Today it was super slow, so at 2:30 pm est we killed the process at 81% complete and ditched the project.  Sorry the site ran slow during that time.  Does anyone on the site right now notice a difference between the last 1.5 days and now.  

This process initially began about 10 hours after we had the new site up and running.

fluffz
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Um, just noticed

Um, just noticed something,

in the larger threads that have several pages you have to enter the thread and scroll all the way down to select the page you want to visit which is sorta lame, especially in debate threads where messages usually contain loads of quotations and are particularly long.

It would be helpful if the page selection thing would also appear on the top, or even better, on the index page itself, like so:

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
Previous and Next thread links

OK MattShizzle, I got the previous and next thread buttons back for you, though they are now below the first user post.

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Cool! I'm actually pretty

Cool! I'm actually pretty sure that's where they were before.

matthewtole
High Level DonorSpecial Agent
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for all the positive

Thanks for all the positive feedback on the new look!

MattShizzle wrote:
Yeah, I use IE6. I had already downloaded IE 7 and Firefox but deleted both as I hated them so much and there was so much I couldn't figure out.
Damn. I took a gamble that nobody (important) used IE6 any more, and wouldn't notice the sidebar issues. I'll take a look at this right away.

I'll also have a go at making the lighter blue easier to read; it's been a struggle to not strangle Brian for his insistence on making the site as dark as possible. Laughing out loud

I assure you, when I get the time, I will make a white based theme Smiling

Matthew Tole

lpetrich
lpetrich's picture
User is offlineOffline
Broad images stretch all the

Broad images stretch all the posts in a thread.

For an especially egregious example, check our this thread.

Is there any way to fix that? It's possible to do that with vBulletin; IIDB implements that feature.

And here is the URL inlined:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/the_rational_response_squad_radio_show/the_rational_response_squad/11656

At least such text does not broaden the thread the way that broad images do.

Also, those handwritten titles are not that easy for me to read -- not enough contrast between the text and the background. The text ought to be either brighter or with fatter lines.

And when I create a new post or edit an existing one, I get taken back to the first page of the thread, rather than the page that contains the post, as other messageboard software often does.

heike6
SuperfanBronze Member
heike6's picture
User is offlineOffline
Amazon Click-thru

I love the blue cursive text for mods and special status people.

Every time I shop at Amazon, I try to come here and click through, but lately it has been getting more and more difficult. I see the "Amazon Store" link after going into forums, but even when I go there it keeps me on this site and is impossible to use. So... could we get one of those? 

heike6
A single woman with no kids.

lpetrich
lpetrich's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pretty but a bit difficult to read

heike6 wrote:

Fair enough. I find it pretty also, but to me, it's a bit small and with poor contrast. For best reading, text and diagrams ought to have light colors on dark colors, or else dark colors on light colors.

heike6
SuperfanBronze Member
heike6's picture
User is offlineOffline
lpetrich wrote:heike6

lpetrich wrote:

heike6 wrote:

Fair enough. I find it pretty also, but to me, it's a bit small and with poor contrast. For best reading, text and diagrams ought to have light colors on dark colors, or else dark colors on light colors.

I understand what you mean, but since those titles are so repetitive, one only needs to decipher them once or twice.

heike6
A single woman with no kids.

LovE-RicH
LovE-RicH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Where's the "TRACKER"?

Where's the "TRACKER" aka "FIND NEW POSTS" option? 

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
LovE-RicH wrote:Where's the

LovE-RicH wrote:

Where's the "TRACKER" aka "FIND NEW POSTS" option? 

Left hand side of site: "recent posts"  click here.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
A very nice look. I like

A very nice look.  I like the steenkin' batches, too.  I would have done them had you asked me, but the ones you chose look pretty nice, although the font size could be a little larger on some of them.

On edit:  Some people are complaining the badges are hard to read because of contrast issues.  I think simply making the font size slightly larger would be enough.  Maybe.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Arkanrais
Arkanrais's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like the new lite layout

I like the new lite layout and design, the ability to use HTML in comments and the dark aeshetic makes reading the site easier on the cataracts. the one gripe I have is with the spell check system opening up a new window and having to wait for it to load instead of the default firefox spell check where you could right click on a misspelled word and have a list of correctly spelled words(previously accessible by right clicking in the dialog box and selecting 'spell check this field' ). the copy and paste system is also a pain in the ass (again with opening the new window and having to wait for it to load) but that can be circumvented with ctrl+c and ctrl+v

all in all the site looks a lot better

temporalwar
Superfan
temporalwar's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

religulous-poster

Omnibus
User is offlineOffline
I really like the new look.

I really like the new look. Very easy on the eyes.

Pages are taking forever to open for me though. It's like I have dial-up again or something.

Too bad stupidity isn't poisonous.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Sometimes the bottom of a

Sometimes the bottom of a page is getting cut off too. This not only cuts off posts, but prevents me from seeing pages after the first (the thing to click on a different page is also cut off.)

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
I dont know what the web

I dont know what the web team has been doing to combat Christian dating ads... but DAMN im getting alot of weird/unrelated ads now

Perutel (Peru telephone company ad? wtf?)

Pro-life ads (im still blaming Kelly for this one >.> )

Weight Loss ads galore!

---------

That being said, im not sure which style i like more, big christian titty ads, or Baby wrapped in an american flag ( "Dont Kill me" ) ads >.>

I just cant win >.<

On a side note, this websites spell checker says "christian" is spelled wrong Sticking out tongue i suspect tampering!

What Would Kharn Do?

ATHEIST112
User is offlineOffline
I.E.User comment

For starters I like the fact everything looks correct on IE as it does on firefox(cause that was sooooooooooo annoying that when I open ie7 everything is over laping and things couldn't be read correctly its a nice improvment.) I haven't trested everyhing else but off the bat it works well just the fact that everything on the side is mainly ad links and u must scroll down to see other website links or members online.(atleast the site links are right there on top) the ads can be last on the side of the site  I like the banner on top. It's simple, clean but it works well.

There is no "GOD" and religion is all made up! Who created "GOD"? AnswerWE DID

Orangustang
Orangustang's picture
User is offlineOffline
The RSS feed doesn't work

The RSS feed doesn't work anymore. That's my only gripe. Everything else looks great as far as I've seen. I like the new spell check. It bothered me that the site disabled Firefox's native spell check.

The great tragedy of Science - the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact.
- Thomas H. Huxley

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
- Abraham Lincoln

Mr. XC
High Level DonorSpecial AgentWebsite AdminPlatinum Member
User is offlineOffline
RSS Feed

About the time of your post, a form of page caching was turned on.  Did the /rss.xml feed break for you at 3/8/2008 at 5:50 PM, was this broke before then, or are you using a different feed?

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. ..." -- Thomas Jefferson

trancegemini
User is offlineOffline
Godless Heathens

Testing....

Yet another godless heathen joins the club... Eye-wink

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
updating the forums

I seem to be having an issue with the forums in which I can click refresh it doesn't seem to update the actual forum, it reloads it but not with new information, such has the times and who wrote in the forums, for example I wrote something about 20 minutes ago, it said 22 minutes for the last 5 minutes and in freethinking forum, someone had writing and it said 3 minutes ago, even though I checked it out and someone else wrote something 2 minutes after that person, so it seems as though the forum isn't quite updating things on my firefox (which is the latest version)

Mr. XC
User is offlineOffline
Try logging out and logging back in

On 3/8/2008, we added code for serving cached pages for anyone not logged in an effort to keep the server alive when we get a flock of users coming from stumbleupon.com, digg.com, and/or other popular social/news/blog sites.  This code saves a significant amount of CPU and database time.  If you have not logged in since 3/8/2008, you may get a cached page instead of a normal one sometimes.  A cached looks like you have logged out, but your login will reappear if you go to a page that is not cached.  Try logging out and logging back in.  Once you are logged back in, all pages should be current.

If you are not logged in, you will get pages that are between 0-20 minutes old.

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. ..." -- Thomas Jefferson

Orangustang
Orangustang's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's not it. The feed

That's not it. The feed stopped refreshing on 1/25 or thereabouts because that's the last thread it links to. I tried removing it and adding it back because it could have changed, but it still gives me the same stuff. Reloading also changes nothing.

I'm running the latest Firefox on Vista in case it matters.

The great tragedy of Science - the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact.
- Thomas H. Huxley

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
- Abraham Lincoln

Mr. XC
User is offlineOffline
What is the URL of the feed?

That might of been when we moved servers.  What is the URL of the feed?  We have many.

Orangustang
Orangustang's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://www.rationalresponders

http://www.rationalresponders.com/rss.xml
It's the one on the main page.

Mr. XC
User is offlineOffline
www.rationalresponders.com down time

In about 10 minutes, the www.rationalresponders.com website will be down and/or buggy.  I will be moving code around to prepare for adding new sites to the network.  Let me know if there are any issues after the reconfiguration is done in about an hour.

Mr. XC
User is offlineOffline
Done.

The upgrade is done.

Let us know if there are any issues.