Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Remote controlled life

Remote control used to guide pigeons, Chinese say
Last Updated: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 | 11:09 AM ET
CBC News

Chinese scientists have succeeded in controlling a pigeon's flight with tiny electrodes implanted in the bird's brain, state media reported.

Xinhua News Agency said the scientists at the Robot Engineering Technology Research Centre at Shadong University of Science and Technology can command the pigeons to fly left or right and up or down.

Scientists sent signals by computer to the implants that mirror signals generated by the brain to control body movement. These signals stimulate different areas of the pigeon's brain and cause it to respond to the command, the researchers said.

Chief scientist Su Xuecheng said it is the first such successful experiment on a pigeon in the world.

Su and his colleagues told Xinhua they hope the technology can be put to practical uses but did not specify what those might be.

It's not the first time scientists have experimented with animals and remote control.

Su had previously conducted a similar experiment on mice in 2005, Xinhua reported.

Researchers at State University of New York in Brooklyn said in 2002 they had developed a way to control rats using remote control signals. John Chapin, a professor of physiology and pharmacology at the university, said arming the rats with tiny cameras could one day allow them to be used to search for disaster survivors in places humans couldn't access.

And Japanese researchers surgically implanted a device in a cockroach in 2001 that allowed them to control its movements.

With files from the Associated Press
http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/02/27/tech-pigeon.html

gobaskof
User is offlineOffline
I'm not so keen on this line

I'm not so keen on this line of research myself, because I'm worried that eventually it may get to the stage where people can control human brains, and that is scary! Maybe I'm just paranoid though!

Quote:
I would almost as soon believe with the old and ignorant cosmogonists, that fossil shells had never lived, but had been created in stone so as to mock the shells now living on the sea-shore. - Charles Darwin

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
gobaskof wrote: I'm not so

gobaskof wrote:
I'm not so keen on this line of research myself, because I'm worried that eventually it may get to the stage where people can control human brains, and that is scary! Maybe I'm just paranoid though!

but we are (Most of us) smart, we can probably figure that there is something up, and we can counter it (With counter-movements).

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

gobaskof
User is offlineOffline
That depends on the level of

That depends on the level of control that they have on the brain!

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Despite the impact it will

Despite the impact it will have on X-Files reruns, I think it's worth noting that we have so little concrete knowledge on the workings of the cognitive parts of our brains that any kind of control that could overcome the ability to "counteract" "mind control"  (Geez I need a lot of scare quotes for this entry...) is so far beyond our science that it's not even going to become a question for many, many decades (maybe centuries).

Just read a little bit about how little we know about schizophrenia, for instance, and you'll begin to grasp how outlandish hollywood-style mind control is.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
gobaskof wrote: ...I'm

gobaskof wrote:
...I'm worried that eventually it may get to the stage where people can control human brains, and that is scary! Maybe I'm just paranoid though!

Why would humans need electrodes when they've got religion? 

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Why would humans

Quote:
Why would humans need electrodes when they've got religion?

*chuckle*

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism