Looking for books about evolution

Bahana
atheist
Bahana's picture
User is offlineOffline
Looking for books about evolution

I'm looking for some books to better understand evolution. Does anyone have some recommendations for a laymen? I've only had 1 college level Biology class years ago, and the teacher didn't talk about the evolution of life much at all. I already have "Tales of the Rational" by Pigliucci, but that's more of a collection of articles and doesn't go that deeply into explaining the evolution of life. Suggestions?

Conn_in_Brooklyn
Conn_in_Brooklyn's picture
User is offlineOffline
You should go ahead and

You should go ahead and read "On the Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin - it's very accessible and a joy to read.  But also, look at these three (they're some of my fav.): 

"The Blindwatchmaker" by Richard Dawkins

"Finding Darwin's God" by Kenneth Miller (this is especially good for understanding the fallacy that is Intelligent Design - He is also a practicing Catholic and a very fine scientist)

"Evolution and the Myth of Creationism" by Tim Berra (this is an excellent overview on what evolution is that is very easy to understand - Tim also gives a good history of creationism in the United States.)

These are only 3 in a sea of many many books that illuminate the beauty and elegance of evolutionary theory ... I have to say this again, go straight to Darwin first, his writing is brilliant and and slightly irreverent.

I'm off myspace.com so you can only find me here: http://geoffreymgolia.blogspot.com

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Evolution vs. Creationism:

Evolution vs. Creationism: An Introduction by Eugenie Scott.

An Introduction to Biological Evolution by Kenneth Kardong.

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Evolutionary Biology" by

"Evolutionary Biology" by Doug Futuyma.

This one is NOT for novices.

http://www.amazon.com/Evolutionary-Biology-Douglas-J-Futuyma/dp/0878931899

If you do understand essential concepts though, this book will distill it for you. Get through some Dawkins, especially "Selfish Gene" and "Ancestors Tale" and you can handle this one, for the most part.

This was one of my college text books, and it is geared to that audience. That said, it is brilliant, concise and all around convincing.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

kriz
User is offlineOffline
If you're just beginning to

If you're just beginning to learn evolution, and want some basics, Carl Sagan's "Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors" is a great read...the first book I read on evolution and it lays a good foundation.

solidsquid
solidsquid's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, there's The Complete

Well, there's The Complete Idiot's Guide to Evolution.  Although I can't attest to the accuracy of the book since I haven't read it:

Complete Idiot's Guide to Evolution

The "Introducing" series are usually pretty good books, here's one on Darwin and Evolution:

Introducing Darwin and Evolution

Other than that, if the basic stuff is old hat to you, the Futuyma book is an excellent one. 

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
Read Sean Carroll's

Read Sean Carroll's book:

The Makin of the Fittest:

Read an excerpt here and you can then find it on amazon or wherever you like to shop for books:

http://seanbcarroll.com/books/Endless_Forms_Most_Beautiful/excerpt/

I highly recommend this book. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Bahana
atheist
Bahana's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestions. I bought "Ancestor's Tale" today. I've wanted to read it for a while.