Coal formation and Evolution?

Pathofreason
Superfan
Pathofreason's picture
User is offlineOffline
Coal formation and Evolution?

A few days ago a Creationist asked me how does the formation of Coal confirms evolution? Im not 100 percent sure what he ment by that question but has anyone ever hear of any similar arguments?

Co-Founder of the Atheist/Freethought website Pathofreason.com

www.pathofreason.com

Check it out

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's an argument?

That's an argument?

Pathofreason
Superfan
Pathofreason's picture
User is offlineOffline
Coal argument

He said that the formation of Coal does not support evolution because it can be created so fast. This is a website he sighted. Has anyone seen anything similar?

http://www.christiancourier.com/articles/read/the_record_buried_in_coal

www.pathofreason.com

Check it out

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've never heard this claim

I've never heard this claim before. But that website doesn't take long to make a massive error. In the 5th paragraph it is stated that estimates for the age of the earth fluctuate between 8 and 20 billion years. I have to wonder what century this whole thing was written in, and with such an obvious lie so early on, the site has no credibility whatsoever.

I'd be interested in hearing some argument from this from a theist who actually had something to present, but these guys don't even listen to the science they're trying to refute. How amusing.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pathofreason wrote: He said

Pathofreason wrote:
He said that the formation of Coal does not support evolution because it can be created so fast. This is a website he sighted. Has anyone seen anything similar? http://www.christiancourier.com/articles/read/the_record_buried_in_coal

Personally, I've never heard the presence of coal used as an argument FOR evolution.

Seems like a bit of a strawman to argue for a young Earth. Sure, it may be possible for coal to form quickly, but it can't quickly get to some of the places we've found it.

-Triften 

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sounds like those

Sounds like those creationists are mixing up two completely different scientific fields again.

Coal has nothing to do with evolution.  Geology != Biology. 

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Roly1976
User is offlineOffline
Well, coal has something

Well, coal has something to do with evolution, because it shows the huge age of the earth.

If these nutcase Christians want to go ahead and bury some wet vegetation, we'll see how quickly it takes coal to form.  According to that article it's a matter of a few years!!!

Also it's riddled with fossils, including from the earliest winged insects, lots of which no longer exist (but fascinatingly also cockroaches almost unchanged from their modern descendants...)  I guess Noah didn't have enough room for dragonflies but somehow the 'roaches crept in...Smiling

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pathofreason wrote: He said

Pathofreason wrote:
He said that the formation of Coal does not support evolution because it can be created so fast. This is a website he sighted. Has anyone seen anything similar? http://www.christiancourier.com/articles/read/the_record_buried_in_coal

It's ridiculous. Think for yourself: if we could create energy that quickly, why is there a concern for a future energy crisis? 

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

Pathofreason
Superfan
Pathofreason's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree with you guys

I completely agree with you guys! I didn't really understand his argument...then again I never really understand where they come up with some of the stuff they do.

www.pathofreason.com

Check it out

solidsquid
solidsquid's picture
User is offlineOffline
A short bit on coal and the

A short bit on coal and the Noachian flood:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/polystrate/coal.html

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
No idea what the guy was

No idea what the guy was talking about. Coal is formed by the pressure in an anoxic environment when sediment builds over dead organic material, eventually decaying it into hydrocarbons.  That is pretty much nothing to do with evolution. I dont see how it could be construed as an argument for a creationist. In fact, it helps the evolutionary theory because if the ridiculous timescale offered by the bible was correct, there would be no time for any fossil fuel to form. It proves the evolutionary notion of geochemical strata dating.

The guy must be a moron. 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism