Evolution: the Game

Matt-Evolved
Matt-Evolved's picture
User is offlineOffline

This is awesome! There is a game coming out called Spore (for PC)

Pretty much you guide a cell through evolution until you can become a large, sentient, organism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spore_(game)

"I call Christianity the one great curse, the one great intrinsic depravity, the one great instinct of revenge, for which no means are venomous enough, or secret, subterranean and small enough - I call it the one immortal blemish upon the human race." -

RossCaleb
User is offlineOffline

That's pretty cool. They should make a multiplayer part where you create your own species offline and take it online for ... interaction. I suppose you could use them for war... I mean -I- wouldn't do that...

And then you could mix your crazy species together and make retarded, blood thirsty spawns. Like Bush, or Rumsfeld, or Cheney. I hear Rice is a bit of a bitch too. And that douche Chertoff... Wait, what were we talking about again?

I always thought that if you want to change the world then you have to start with yourself. So if the heads of state want to end terrorism, they should go ahead and kill themselves. - Anti-Flag

SilkyShrew
Rational VIP!
SilkyShrew's picture
User is offlineOffline

Matt-Evolved
Matt-Evolved's picture
User is offlineOffline

You can interact with other users too. What the game does is take your created creature and uploads it to a database. Then, everyone else's game will be updated with your creature. The cool thing about this is that you could even download other user's cities, buildings, vehicles, and even creatures.

So if you create a four-legged, fuzzy plant-eater, another user's winged carnivore can hunt your creature and provide a biological population control. What's good is that another user's "superior" creature wouldn't completely wipe you out of existence. So you can guide your creature and also interact with other users at the same time.

Sources say that there will even be a stat page on the Spore database so you can check to see how well your creature is faring in other users worlds.

I love the open-endedness in this game. You have complete control because the game uses a "procedural" behavior generator. So you can make the most exotic creature ever and the game will actually figure out how it moves, eats, even dances using a simple equation. I hear that each creature's complete stats can be compiled in a file less than 1 KB.

How awesome is it that you can guide 1 cell from the primordial soup to being a space-traveling race? That's awesome. I'm overly excited for this game. Too bad it won't come out until the end of this year.

I like the part that when you're traveling space, you can act as a "god" to other fledgling civilizations. I'd make sure religion doesn't evolve!

"I call Christianity the one great curse, the one great intrinsic depravity, the one great instinct of revenge, for which no means are venomous enough, or secret, subterranean and small enough - I call it the one immortal blemish upon the human race." -

SilkyShrew
Rational VIP!
SilkyShrew's picture
User is offlineOffline

Yeah, the game is pretty awesome, although the stuff that I read and saw said that you didn't interact directly with other users - where is a source that says that you can? I mean, of course, during game play, not necesarily on forums or something. Is that a change that they made in the programming?

Matt-Evolved
Matt-Evolved's picture
User is offlineOffline

No, you still cannot directly play with others. It's more of a hands-off multiplayer in that the game is constantly updating with other user's input. Its kind of like playing chess by mail.

Sorry for the confusion.

SilkyShrew
Rational VIP!
SilkyShrew's picture
User is offlineOffline

No problem Smiling

CynageN
User is offlineOffline

Very much looking forward to this. Not only on a subject I'm very interested in, but it looks to me like the engine they've made for it is extremely stable and flexible which is actually a rare thing to find in the gaming industry today.

HealingBlight
HealingBlight's picture
User is offlineOffline

When I first watched the 1 hour presentation/dmo Will had from the Game developers Confrence (I think it was that, its a longer more drawn out version of that video with some comments about other aspects of the game) I was giggeling and bouncing in my seat, for those with internet connectivity it will be a MOSEG, Massivly Online Single-Player Everything Game, thats the term I'm using for it Smiling, its going to be beautifiul if they can exicute things correclty, the sheer customability and amount of user-created content on it should be fantastic, I man, FFS, they made a care bear! I wanna be playing my game and find out that the top predator to my species is Will Wrights Care bear! Laughing out loud
And the fact that everything about the game is generated around what you do, a bold idea indeed, but I think its gonna be worth it.

The full shabang is here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-775656482294094003&q=spore that would be good for anyone who is intrested in games.

-----------------------
I'll get back to you when I think of something worthwhile to say.

Matt-Evolved
Matt-Evolved's picture
User is offlineOffline

yeah, i've seen those videos and they demo the game very well.

i might actually be more excited for this game than i was for half life 2....which is saying something

HealingBlight
HealingBlight's picture
User is offlineOffline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3DRiREBm9Q <-- Robin Williams tries his hand at the creature editor.

-----------------------
I'll get back to you when I think of something worthwhile to say.

HeliosOfTheSun
User is offlineOffline

I learned about Spore a few months ago. It suposse to be coming out the first quater of 2007.