Genesis Query

snafu
atheist
snafu's picture
User is offlineOffline
Genesis Query

Genesis 3.22 reads

Quote:
And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us[my bold], to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

Just who is God referring to by this 'us'? 

"The World is my country, science my religion" - Christiaan Huygens

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
The pantheon of gods that

The pantheon of gods that existed under the old religion.  Hebrew used to be a polytheistic religion.  The bible has been edited to combine the names of other gods into one.  However there are a few names that leak out like Sophia, the goddess of wisdom.

Christian apologists (i.e. those who take the bible out of context) have claimed the "we" refers to allah, jesus and the holy spirit.  Of course there's no basis for that other than trying to get the bible to fit in with their Christian religion. 

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Could just be the royal

Could just be the royal "we".

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe he was talking to

Maybe he was talking to beings of lesser stature than himself but that still had the knowledge of good and evil.

Maybe he has MPD. 

Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pluralis Majestatis

zarathustra wrote:
Could just be the royal "we".

You know who else uses Pluralis Majestatis?

/just sayin'

Good night, funny man, and thanks for the laughter.

lester ballard
User is offlineOffline
Attending a secular course

Attending a secular course in Bible Studies is worthwhile and fascinating. Genesis is a conflation of several narratives, origin uncertain.

Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
User is offlineOffline
lester ballard wrote: I've

lester ballard wrote:

I've always been puzzled by Lot having sex with his daughter after the fall of Sodom.

Oh, that? If I remember correctly, Lot's wife had been turned into a pillar of salt by God for commiting the horrible sin of turning around and looking at Sodom as they were evacuating. Later that night, his daughters decide to get Lot liquored up and have sex with him, in order to repopulate the local area.

That's two servings each of "date rape" and "incest," for those of you keeping score at home.

Good night, funny man, and thanks for the laughter.

lester ballard
User is offlineOffline
The sermons usually leave

The sermons usually leave out the more interesting parts.  I think it was Freud who noted that Moses wouldn't have produced the commandments unless his people were doing those things on a regular basis.

Anyway, when read with secular eyes the old testament is far from a tame text.

snafu
atheist
snafu's picture
User is offlineOffline
Little Roller Up First

Little Roller Up First wrote:

That's two servings each of "date rape" and "incest," for those of you keeping score at home.

And the fruits of these incetuous unions form part of the lines of King David and Solomon so it can't be all bad in the eyes of God. 

"The World is my country, science my religion" - Christiaan Huygens